Sony Blackballs Kotaku (update: unblackballed!)

I really don't see why Sony didn't just buy him off in the first place, most bloggers would kill for an interview and a couple pictures of the new system shortly after the press release, although I suppose the attention he's gotten from this fiasco is worth a bit more...

[quote name='Vegan']After reading about this issue at numerous places, I've learned one thing: how much hatred a lot of the gaming community seems to have for Kotaku. What gives?[/quote]

Because it makes their pathetic excuse for a life seem more fulfilling.

OH SNAP! :hot:

It's amazing that the one time in recent memory it's seemed like Sony was actually in the right and then they go and change their minds to appease the vocal minority.

Whatever .... I'm suprised Sony even cares about a blog in the first place. They're just lucky it isn't Apple they're dealing with or else they would've gotten more than a nice letter. They probably would've forced them to reveal your sources and threaten to sue them.

they need to Stop whining and respect the wishes of the company and let them announce thier damn crap when they feel like it.

I also like how Joystiq called themselves and Kotaku "News Platforms" My ass.... Bloggers need to die.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']
I just can't imagine blacklisting a media outlet unless they continually to break the already agreed upon rules of engagement.[/QUOTE]

That's because legitimate news outlets generally respect those who ask this of them. They know they'll get a favor on something much bigger later on. Press in Washington works this way all the time.

[quote name='Zoglog']I also like how Joystiq called themselves and Kotaku "News Platforms" My ass.... Bloggers need to die.[/quote]Really, now? And what makes places like ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, etc. more legitmates "news platforms" when they rattle off stories from the Associated Press than these bigger gaming blogs getting a few outsourced stories? They typically have more content sooner that some of the more "respected" news places in this industry as well (Gamespot, IGN, etc.). The blogs not only regurgitate news from elsewhere, but write their own exclusives, get their own interviews, etc. So, in the end, the only thing that separates them is their page layout.

You really don't like blog page layout that much?

[quote name='daroga']Really, now? And what makes places like ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, etc. more legitmates "news platforms" when they rattle off stories from the Associated Press than these bigger gaming blogs getting a few outsourced stories? They typically have more content sooner that some of the more "respected" news places in this industry as well (Gamespot, IGN, etc.). The blogs not only regurgitate news from elsewhere, but write their own exclusives, get their own interviews, etc. So, in the end, the only thing that separates them is their page layout.

You really don't like blog page layout that much?[/QUOTE]

They're second hand news sources. Legitimate news places pay money for those stories even if they didn't write them. Bloggers do not. That's what makes them different. That and the fact that IGN, Gamespot, 1up generate content original content that isn't editorial on a regular basis. That's what I feel differentiates the two.

I don't understand all the "congrats Sony!" messages I saw after this issue was resolved.

That's like congratulating someone after he deliberately shoots you in the crotch with a 9mm only because he apologized and offered to pay for the hospital expenses and surgery.

[quote name='furyk']They're second hand news sources. Legitimate news places pay money for those stories even if they didn't write them. Bloggers do not. That's what makes them different. That and the fact that IGN, Gamespot, 1up generate content original content that isn't editorial on a regular basis. That's what I feel differentiates the two.[/quote]Obviosuly the AP comparison was a bit of a stretch, because we don't have a real AP type service for game news. But paying for a news feed makes you legit? That's almost like someone saying that they paid for sex so they should be considered married.

I dunno, I don't see a great divide between IGN/1UP/Gamespot and Kotaku/Joystiq. Maybe that speaks more to a low view of the former rather than a high view of the latter.

[quote name='furyk']They're second hand news sources. Legitimate news places pay money for those stories even if they didn't write them. Bloggers do not. That's what makes them different. That and the fact that IGN, Gamespot, 1up generate content original content that isn't editorial on a regular basis. That's what I feel differentiates the two.[/quote]
That's really an elistist, douchebag kind of response. The fact of the matter is this, be it IGN or Kotaku, both are viable places to get news and it's just wrecklessly irresponsible for you to say that Kotaku or Joystiq aren't legitamate. IGN was just as much of a blog news site when they first started with Ign64 before they were bought out. Should turning a profit be the main criteria for becoming a legitamate news site? That's the kind of sad thinking that leads to Paris Hilton always being around in the news even though she does jack shit to get the attention.

You should see the situation for what it was. Crecente was given a lead. Sony responded with a threat. More than anything, if I were in Crecente's shoes, I would have been liable to offer Sony a huge fuck off. How dare they attempt to control what I say? It's insulting and it's not Crecente's job to baby Sony. If Sony didn't like it getting out, they should have done a better job on keeping a lid on it. He has worked 11 years as a professional police reporter so it's not like the man who woke up one day and decided to make a half-assed blog. The man has made a living being a journalist.

If you don't understand that, you're a worthless tool.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Sony asked them not to run it, Kotaku did, and now they have to pay the price. Kotaku's fault, and I'm not sure why anyone goes there for 'news.'[/quote]

some people like sloppy seconds i guess lol. people have to wake up business is business and if you want to have access to diff companies you have to play the game. in the end kotaku wanted to get the scoop because it was more important for them to be first with a story than to respect sonys wishes and wait till they released the story a few days later. i would like to know if they got their info directly from sony then decided to try and make a scoop of it or if they got it secretly and then after being asked not to did it.

[quote name='daroga']Obviosuly the AP comparison was a bit of a stretch, because we don't have a real AP type service for game news. But paying for a news feed makes you legit? That's almost like someone saying that they paid for sex so they should be considered married.

I dunno, I don't see a great divide between IGN/1UP/Gamespot and Kotaku/Joystiq. Maybe that speaks more to a low view of the former rather than a high view of the latter.[/quote]

there are professional standards in the business of journalism - we could all pretend that being independent and blogger is awesome and great - but without the resources, staff and relationship with the INDUSTRY (keep in mind, video games are not like the world, it is a singular business), bloggers only fill in the minor blanks.

The fact that Sony and other companies recognize the importance of blogs as editorial and indeed more personal (attracting the "indie" minded legions) is a testament to their importance - but don't blow it out of proportion.

[quote name='furyk']They're second hand news sources. Legitimate news places pay money for those stories even if they didn't write them. Bloggers do not. That's what makes them different. That and the fact that IGN, Gamespot, 1up generate content original content that isn't editorial on a regular basis. That's what I feel differentiates the two.[/quote]
That's really an elistist, douchebag kind of response. The fact of the matter is this, be it IGN or Kotaku, both are viable places to get news and it's just wrecklessly irresponsible for you to say that Kotaku or Joystiq aren't legit. IGN was just as much of a blog news site when they first started with Ign64 before they were bought out. Should turning a profit be the main criteria for becoming a legitamate news site? That's the kind of pathetic thinking that leads to Paris Hilton being featured in the headlines.

You should see the situation for what it was. Crecente was given a lead. Sony responded with a threat. More than anything, if I were in Crecente's shoes, Sony would been told to go to hell. How dare they attempt to control what I say? It's insulting and it's not Crecente's job to baby Sony. If Sony didn't like it getting out, they should have done a better job on keeping a lid on it. He has worked 11 years as a professional police reporter so it's not like the man woke up one day and decided to make a half-assed blog. The man has made a living being a journalist which is more than you can say about any number of writers at the "legitimate" websites.

Journalistic intergrity, whether it concerns politics or videogames, will always remain the same. If you don't understand that, you're a worthless tool.

P.S.
There is no such thing as secondhand news. All there is is perspective.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']That's really an elistist, douchebag kind of response. The fact of the matter is this, be it IGN or Kotaku, both are viable places to get news and it's just wrecklessly irresponsible for you to say that Kotaku or Joystiq aren't legit. IGN was just as much of a blog news site when they first started with Ign64 before they were bought out. Should turning a profit be the main criteria for becoming a legitamate news site? That's the kind of pathetic thinking that leads to Paris Hilton being featured in the headlines.

You should see the situation for what it was. Crecente was given a lead. Sony responded with a threat. More than anything, if I were in Crecente's shoes, Sony would been told to go to hell. How dare they attempt to control what I say? It's insulting and it's not Crecente's job to baby Sony. If Sony didn't like it getting out, they should have done a better job on keeping a lid on it. He has worked 11 years as a professional police reporter so it's not like the man woke up one day and decided to make a half-assed blog. The man has made a living being a journalist which is more than you can say about any number of writers at the "legitimate" websites.

Journalistic intergrity, whether it concerns politics or videogames, will always remain the same. If you don't understand that, you're a worthless tool.[/QUOTE]

Of course turning a profit isn't the only criteria for being a news site which is only half of what I said. Someone asked what the difference between a blog and a news site really is and that's what it is. I feel a for profit news site is more accountable simply because if they are perceived as biased, they segment their audience. That's the only divide I was trying to make. Also, like Daroga, I feel the difference between an IGN and a Kotaku is minimal because I feel that gaming journalism is on a lower tier then "real journalism" simply because "real journalism" is concerned with things that play a role in our daily lives. I put sports, gaming, entertainment, and other forms of lighter journalism below hard news. I wasn't commenting specifically on the Kotaku/Sony issue, just on the blog/news issue.

Edit: And yes, there is such a thing as second hand news. It's when a piece of news is reported and editorialized upon. Also, edited out insults because I feel that if you want to have a discussion with someone, it has to be done in a civilized way. I'm sorry for what I typed earlier.

[quote name='ahmedmalik'] That's really an elistist, douchebag kind of response. The fact of the matter is this, be it IGN or Kotaku, both are viable places to get news and it's just wrecklessly irresponsible for you to say that Kotaku or Joystiq aren't legit. IGN was just as much of a blog news site when they first started with Ign64 before they were bought out. Should turning a profit be the main criteria for becoming a legitamate news site? That's the kind of pathetic thinking that leads to Paris Hilton being featured in the headlines.

Journalistic intergrity, whether it concerns politics or videogames, will always remain the same. If you don't understand that, you're a worthless tool.

P.S.
There is no such thing as secondhand news. All there is is perspective.
[/quote]

damn, that slope is slippery! Journalisitic integrity is a lot of things, not just publishing every bit of information - it's making informed decisions about the information and in this case, publishing early was unnecessary and forced into the open a large dispute between the industry and the journalist.

do you think as a police reporter, he ran his mouth after ever tidbit of info he got?

And why are you all on your high horse? Can you spare us the ad-hominem attacks, or is this part of your plan to uphold and prove the integrity of the mighty self important blog journalists? :roll:

[quote name='ahmedmalik'] That's really an elistist, douchebag kind of response.
[/B][/QUOTE]

As is feeling the need to try and make your post stand out.

Here's how it should have gone down:

Kotaku finds this scoop out, and goes to Sony. Sony asks them not to run it. Kotaku then asks for some reciprocal favor, such as co-publishing the story or the such. Or maybe higher priority in the reviewers tier. Both come out ahead.

But it being Kotaku, they didn't do that. They would much rather have the press than anything else. Then they sick their pathetic drones on Sony by releasing what was supposed to be private correspondence with an email address. So now you have a ton of 14 year old kids who have nothing better to do that to innundate a Sony corp mailbox with 'u r teh g@y' emails when Sony's not particularly had a good 12-18 months. So Sony capitulates, and Kotaku thinks it did something noble and good for the gaming community.

The problem I have with blogs is that it's about 90% opinion and 10% fact. Sometimes less. And when you hit that 10% goldmine, you tend to get a really big ego.

I read kotaku everyday. Apparently it's not good enough for some of you elitist kids, but personally, I like their opinions and writing a lot better than the major sites.

That and because they do things like this, basically saying f-u we will do what we want to Sony, I know I can trust what they say in the future, because they're willing to put their ass out there and risk "official contact" with some company to tell the truth, and this sends a message in the future to anyone that they will not be forced to not post something.

There is ZERO reason to defend Sony on this, and it's a good thing they backpedaled so quickly. I guarantee that if it was MS doing this, those same Sony cheerleaders would be crying foul.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']As is feeling the need to try and make your post stand out.

Kotaku finds this scoop out, and goes to Sony. Sony asks them not to run it. Kotaku then asks for some reciprocal favor, such as co-publishing the story or the such. Or maybe higher priority in the reviewers tier. Both come out ahead.

But it being Kotaku, they didn't do that. They would much rather have the press than anything else. Then they sick their pathetic drones on Sony by releasing what was supposed to be private correspondence with an email address. So now you have a ton of 14 year old kids who have nothing better to do that to innundate a Sony corp mailbox with 'u r teh g@y' emails when Sony's not particularly had a good 12-18 months. So Sony capitulates, and Kotaku thinks it did something noble and good for the gaming community.

The problem I have with blogs is that it's about 90% opinion and 10% fact. Sometimes less. And when you hit that 10% goldmine, you tend to get a really big ego.[/QUOTE]

Here's the problem, assumptions you've made. Assumptions like that Sony would have even budged on the issue. That Kotaku wanted the press. That Kotaku's readers are 14 year olds. Grow up.

If anything, Kotaku probably feared the bad press and weak image it would have given them if they had taken the story down after it was already posted and read by so many. What do you want from them? "We'll give you all the gaming news you can handle, unless someone says not to!"

[quote name='jer7583']Here's the problem, assumptions you've made. Assumptions like that Sony would have even budged on the issue. That Kotaku wanted the press. That Kotaku's readers are 14 year olds. Grow up.
"[/QUOTE]

That's not assumption, that's fact. The more page views they get, the more money they make.

OK, I was wrong. The kids that make that site their homepage can probably drive. My bad.

You're ripping Sony apologists while doing the same thing. What color is that kettle?

[quote name='jer7583']There is ZERO reason to defend Sony on this, and it's a good thing they backpedaled so quickly. I guarantee that if it was MS doing this, those same Sony cheerleaders would be crying foul.[/QUOTE]

As a Nintendo defender, I can say with a clear conscious that I can understand that if Microsoft went the same way on this, I would have reacted the same. Ultimately, Sony didn't think they were crossing any lines defending their key note agenda, and when they found out the vast majority of gamers and the blogosphere think they crossed a major line, they retracted it. I personally agreed with Sony on this issue (one of the few it seems), but Sony was right to retract it simply because it wasn't worth the headache they were collectively bringing upon themselves. This was a clear Kotaku victory and a victory for the b-loggers though only in the short run. In the long run, I think that Sony is writing a lot of new people on their list of who they send a NDA.

It seems though posting any personal opinion against Kotaku or bloggers in this thread will lead to being flamed at the moment. I think I'll try posting here again later if things become a bit more civil.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']As is feeling the need to try and make your post stand out.

Kotaku finds this scoop out, and goes to Sony. Sony asks them not to run it. Kotaku then asks for some reciprocal favor, such as co-publishing the story or the such. Or maybe higher priority in the reviewers tier. Both come out ahead.[/quote]
In some circles that's called selling out. I'd rather be a douchebag with my intergrity in tact than you.

[quote name='jmcc']Yes. People need to learn how to properly respect corporations.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe what I'm hearing.. give me a break, they have much more of a responsibility to their customers, employees, and shareholders than the public has to them. Sony releases a product at a high price toting features that are not completely factual (such as not working with many HDTV's); when a positive buzz comes from a website on an upcoming feature (which is what journalists in this industry should do, instead of waiting for a corporate ok), and Sony actually seeks to bring MORE negative publicity to themselves by pissing on the little guy?

I'm not a reader of Kotaku, but give me a break.. their PR reacted stupidly and arrogantly. For anybody wondering why Sony has steadily lost marketshare in all areas of their product mix, it's this arrogant company culture that has caused it. I can't believe a company this successful is making so many dumbass mistakes. Regardless of Kotaku's readership or its level of professionalism in journalism, any senior PR official should know that writing a letter to blow off a reporter migh just end up being published. Not only that, but if it were a misrepresentation in any way.. Sony would have their asses for libel.

Ultimately, a smart marketing professional would know that bad exposure (regardless of if it's a Kotaku or the Wall Street Journal) is bad exposure.. and attitudes such as that end up being a cancer to potential sales.

For those defending Sony and bashing Kotaku, or vice versa.. you cannot deny that the PS3 (and the entire company for that matter) is starting to look like a PR and marketing fucking disaster. They should be dumping millions into reviving their positive image right now, instead of only speaking out in interviews with false facts such as "PS3's are flying off the shelves."

Jesus fucking christ people... as a Sony customer, I'm fucking furious with the level of quality and general lack of concern or respect they give me and millions of other customers. That's why I'd rather get an HD-DVD player, or a better home theatre system, or play third party games on a different console. Just as an example.. Microsoft extended their warranty for a year on their consoles and generally reacts quickly when problems are discovered with their hardware. Sony.. you pay $600 for a console, and they void your short warranty if you're not using a first party HDMI cable.

This is why I hate corporate fanfare... PS3's are stacked up on shelves right now because people are exercising their right to decide how to spend their money, and the real value of a product. That's why sales for all Sony products have been in decline (or don't believe me, and go buy a laptop with a Sony battery and have it blow up in your lap).

[quote name='ahmedmalik']In some circles that's called selling out. I'd rather be a douchebag with my intergrity in tact than you.[/QUOTE]

It's called professional courtesy.

But we've clearly established Kotaku isn't professional.

[quote name='Skylander7']Sony.. you pay $600 for a console, and they void your short warranty if you're not using a first party HDMI cable. [/quote]

Seriously?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']It's called professional courtesy.

But we've clearly established Kotaku isn't professional.[/quote]Only professionals can be bought then?

[quote name='daroga']Only professionals can be bought then?[/QUOTE]

You're so short sided. This happens with journalists all the time. No, you don't have to respect the wishes of the party, but don't go bitching when they pull your press pass, either.

The real fault I see here is that Kotaku took what is usually closed-door stuff and took it public.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']It's called professional courtesy.[/quote]
Professional courtesy is not asking someone if you can run a story. Professional courtesy is telling the company that you are going to run a story and ask if they have a comment.

Every thing in this saga was going down just like every rumor type story out there until Sony said "Don't run the story". This information was not under any NDA, Brian Crecente had no reason to hold off on it except for Sony trying to control them. Crecente decided not to be controlled by Sony and did what he was going to in the first place: Post the story.

People here seem to think Crecente asked Sony if Kotaku could run the story. They didn't Ask Sony for anything they Told them what they were doing.

I can't wait to see what Tycho from Penny-Arcade is going to say about this.

Edit -
[quote name='CocheseUGA'] The real fault I see here is that Kotaku took what is usually closed-door stuff and took it public.[/quote]

The real fault I see here is that Sony tried to CONTROL THE MEDIA! Why can't you people see how wrong that is? How much would it suck if all 360 related news we ever got came from Major Nelson?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']It's called professional courtesy.

But we've clearly established Kotaku isn't professional.[/quote]
I don't remember at any point in reality ever establishing that Kotaku isn't professional.... I guess my official comment on this post that "I don't comment on posts that take place in alternative dimensions."

[quote name='SpreadTheWord']I can't wait to see what Tycho from Penny-Arcade is going to say about this.[/quote] That ought to be good.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']You're so short sided. This happens with journalists all the time. No, you don't have to respect the wishes of the party, but don't go bitching when they pull your press pass, either.

The real fault I see here is that Kotaku took what is usually closed-door stuff and took it public.[/quote]No NDA = fair game. If Sony had really wanted them to not release the story, they should've revised their NDA and included this information rather than strong-arming them into not running it.

The only fault I see in what Kotaku did is perhaps over played the "Sony's being mean to us!" angle.

a game developer posted this over on IGN

[quote name='Chakoo']As a comercial PSP developer. Kotaku knew better as they them self are under NDA contracts with sony (You can't have a ps3 debug unit with out one). They knew what they were getting into and it is also very unprofesional for them to publicly post their email with sony.

Sony for one should have not backed down.[/QUOTE]

then someone claimed he didn't know anything about NDAs for some inane reason and he then said this

[quote name='Chakoo']I'm not ignorant regarding the subject matter. They did not pull rumors off random forums and post it. The source where they got the information from is also under NDA. This was not some random guessing. Them themself being under a NDA would know the information would also be under a NDA from sony to the source of rht information. Even me being under a NDA for PSP stuff does not mean it's alright for me to go public on the net and post what PS3 programers under NDA told me.

The person who is in the wrong the most in all of this is the person who leaked this information to Kotaku. Again Kotaku knew they were posting more then just some random internet rumor.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='furyk']They're second hand news sources. Legitimate news places pay money for those stories even if they didn't write them. Bloggers do not. That's what makes them different. That and the fact that IGN, Gamespot, 1up generate content original content that isn't editorial on a regular basis. That's what I feel differentiates the two.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. This isn't an elitist point, it's the truth =p.
For once I agree with Fury K

In the End Kotaku are just a bunch of whining babies. and the only reason that they pay attention is because people are stupid enough to consider Kotaku a reliable news source, even though they constantly botch things up. Blogs all need to lose a bit of influence.

[quote name='PENNY ARCADE'] Sony and Kotaku have since made up, but if you're wondering what the problem was, cross your eyes and gaze into my retarded crystal ball: in the first unremittingly positive Sony news in months, Kotaku posted a rumor about a new initiative from Sony to seize the addictiveness of Achievements and self-identification of a Mii in a comprehensive, deeply integrated PS3 service called Playstation Home. This "rumor" probably wasn't, and when asked for comment Sony told them not to post it.

That sort of thing rarely works, and the story was published leading to Sony pulling their support for the site and demanding the return of their review hardware. This was especially counterproductive (to the extent that it may have earned some kind of multiplier) because Kotaku editor Brian Crecente might be the most even-handed commentator currently writing about the new Playstation online. I understand that they are again "tight," that they are each others' "dogs" and have consented to bark with one another, but it offers a glimpse of just how difficult it is to track this company's strange trajectory. Like some idiot alchemist they are able to transform good news into bad news, or turn gleaming triumph into wretched defeat.[/quote]
I think Tycho sums it up best.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']I think Tycho sums it up best.[/quote]You've got PA quote as coming from Zoglog. A pretty big oops there ;)

You people tend to forget many companies sue people over crap like this. Sony at least didn't do that. Just a personal letter. No frickin formal C&D.

Sensationalized bullshit.

[quote name='Zoglog']You people tend to forget many companies sue people over crap like this. Sony at least didn't do that. Just a personal letter. No frickin formal C&D.

Sensationalized bullshit.[/quote]They have no grounds to sue Kotaku. The person who leaked it to them and broke the NDA? Yes. Kotaku? No.

[quote name='daroga']You've got PA quote as coming from Zoglog. A pretty big oops there ;)[/quote]
Spank me. I deserve it. :booty:

Fixed now.

[quote name='Zoglog']You people tend to forget many companies sue people over crap like this. Sony at least didn't do that. Just a personal letter. No frickin formal C&D.

Sensationalized bullshit.[/quote] Because posting on a message board makes your opinion mean than much more than a blog.

Arrogantitlized bullshit!

Yes. That is a made up word.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']Spank me. I deserve it. :booty:

Fixed now.[/quote]

Sensationalized bullshit.[/quote]
Because posting on a message board makes your opinion mean than much more than a blog.

Arrogant bullshit.

[quote name='daroga']They have no grounds to sue Kotaku. The person who leaked it to them and broke the NDA? Yes. Kotaku? No.[/quote]

Exactly! If there was an NDA involved in this situation, Sony would have slammed the hammer down on Kotaku or said "You can't post that, you're under NDA". Instead they whined like a spoiled brat saying "If you tell people about this I'm totally going to tell my dad"

[quote name='Skylander7']
Just as an example.. Microsoft extended their warranty for a year on their consoles and generally reacts quickly when problems are discovered with their hardware. Sony.. you pay $600 for a console, and they void your short warranty if you're not using a first party HDMI cable.

This is why I hate corporate fanfare... PS3's are stacked up on shelves right now because people are exercising their right to decide how to spend their money, and the real value of a product. That's why sales for all Sony products have been in decline (or don't believe me, and go buy a laptop with a Sony battery and have it blow up in your lap).[/QUOTE]

MS for nearly the entire first year of the 360's lifespan denied there were any troubles with it and put a lot of people trying to get the consoles fixed through a failry rough qauntlet. Now, you compliment and praise them for simply extending their warranty to a single year? WTF is that? all they did was match their competitior's warranties, something that should've been done when the product first launched. Also, I think there's a decent number of people out there that would take exception to the " MS reacts quickly" comment.

I don't disagree that PS3 is not selling or your stance on their recent activities really, but you're sitll wrong as to the sales of all Sony products. Their TVs are often among the top selling models, I think Sharp may still lead slightly in overall market share (they did in 2005 IIRC), but Sony set sell very well and their sales were rising just fairly recently, especially in LCDs.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']Spank me. I deserve it. :booty:

Fixed now.

Because posting on a message board makes your opinion mean than much more than a blog.

Arrogantitlized bullshit!

Yes. That is a made up word.[/QUOTE]

Wow You just made the point. The only difference is I don't go off whining about Sony causing me so much distress by not respecting my journalistic professionalism. I have no delusions about this being informal.

This is just a case of a stupid blog whining because a company wants to break their own news. Whether or not this is a good PR move is completely irrelevant.

And about there being no grounds for a suit, that is true. No NDA was signed by Kotaku. However their source probably did and apple has sued on many occasions without asking nicely.

All this talk about "journalistic standards" when talking about video game news makes me laugh. I've seen just as much immature, cock-and-balls style of writing from the supposedly "mainstream" sources as from anyone else. 1up's podcast is called 1up Yours, for crying out loud; I cringe every time I hear that name. Half of the people in the so-called "mainstream video game reporting" business still make me stop every once in a while and say, "My god, they're acting like a group of little boys..." Anyone who thinks there's some huge divide needs to get off their high horse.

Oh shit. I agree with Zoglog. Next Darkness Bear and Daddy will start having tea parties and Regalsin and richbastard will graduate from Harvard Law as valedictorian and salutatorian respectively.

[quote name='furyk']Oh shit. I agree with Zoglog. Next Darkness Bear and Daddy will start having tea parties and Regalsin and richbastard will graduate from Harvard Law as valedictorian and salutatorian respectively.[/quote]And that's the real problem with this whole story. It has started a chain-reaction that will destroy the entire universe. ;)

Kotaku: HURR WE HAVE STORY
Sony: Please don't publish it.
Kotaku: HURR WE HAVE STORY.
Sony: We'll take away your toys!
Kotaku: HURR WE R TEH JOURNALISTS.
Sony: We're taking away your toys.
Kotaku: SHIT NO MORE TOYZ.
Sony: Shit, our second-tier corporate mouthpiece is no longer. Kotaku, will you drop this silly charade of pretending to be journalists and return to being our bitches?
Kotaku: (OMG SONY IS MORANS HAHA) YEZ
Sony: (God, what a bunch of morons working at Kotaku) Thanks guys.

Get my Run on, that was probably the worst thing posted to the internet today. Congrats. Way to make an arguement by imitating someone you disagree with by using a retard voice.

I find it hilarious that Kotaku posts what is probably the most positive PS3 news in weeks and Sony tells them to take it down.

[quote name='Zoglog']Wow You just made the point. The only difference is I don't go off whining about Sony causing me so much distress by not respecting my journalistic professionalism. I have no delusions about this being informal.

This is just a case of a stupid blog whining because a company wants to break their own news. Whether or not this is a good PR move is completely irrelevant.

And about there being no grounds for a suit, that is true. No NDA was signed by Kotaku. However their source probably did and apple has sued on many occasions without asking nicely.[/quote]
And what would have happened if Sony did sue Kotaku? Think about that smart guy. It would have been worse than Lik-Sang for Sony.

Additionally, Kotaku didn't whine. They posted the e-mail and walked away. Everyone else got pissed off and when Sony found out, they called up Crecente to work things over. They agreed to disagree like adults and everything worked out.

The silliness you're spouting doesn't even begin to make any sense.

[quote name='getmyrunon']Kotaku: HURR WE HAVE STORY
Sony: Please don't publish it.
Kotaku: HURR WE HAVE STORY.
Sony: We'll take away your toys!
Kotaku: HURR WE R TEH JOURNALISTS.
Sony: We're taking away your toys.
Kotaku: SHIT NO MORE TOYZ.
Sony: Shit, our second-tier corporate mouthpiece is no longer. Kotaku, will you drop this silly charade of pretending to be journalists and return to being our bitches?
Kotaku: (OMG SONY IS MORANS HAHA) YEZ
Sony: (God, what a bunch of morons working at Kotaku) Thanks guys.[/quote]

You're a dipshit.

bread's done
Back