Sony E3 2010 Press Conference - June 15 (Tues) 12pm PDT

I'm not all that interested in motion control, but I will say that Move has won me over. It seems like their tech has more of a chance to be used in games to enhance the experience versus what MS showed of Kinect (Natal was such a better name). I'm still not completely sold on it and question whether it's worth the $80 - $100 investment, but at least there's more support showing before the device even launches than anything the EyeToy saw during it's lifespan. Count me out of the early adopter club, I want to see this device proven before I invest.

Move has possibilites, and that Sorcery game looks like fun, however, its still one of those games that can be enjoyed with a standard controller. I'm waiting to see a unique, entertaining experience before jumping on the move bandwagon.

[quote name='pjb16']You mean some of the current 3D TVs could do it without glasses, or just current HDtv's in general?

I mean either way I'd probably disagree with you, but just looking for clarification.[/QUOTE]

lol All I'm saying is that I wish that the new 3D capable TVs could do the TV without the 130 - 200 dollar glasses.... the same way that the 3DS does 3D without any glasses required. I'm wondering why you would disagree with that... you rather spend 130 -200 dollars for glasses. Even if it was 5 dollars for the glasses... there's tech out there that would make the tech obsolete... I wish that these companies would have went with that instead of the present method with the glasses.

Also I wouldn't mind buying the glasses, if it meant that I didn't have to buy a new TV. But with the present situation you need a new TV and pairs of glasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lordopus99']April NPD - PSP sales 65k... pretty ugly. Chains of Olympus might have cracked NPD but haven't drop any titles close to the amount NDS (competitor) drop. Heck, two Pokemon games were in the top 5 for April. Don't get me wrong, GoW will be good for those small few that have one. I personally don't feel PSP should be a decent size timeslot in the presentation due to the lack of demand; PSPGoStop was a flop.[/quote]
What does the DS or the PSP Go have to do with Chains of Olympus selling better than most PSP games in recent memory? It's still in the top 10 best-selling PSP games in the PS Store almost every week, so it's still selling fairly well two years later.
[quote name='lordopus99']The market is saturated with arcade racing titles i.e. currently Split/Second and Blur. There are already others in the lineup. If I am a racing fan and both titles hit around the same time, I guarantee you just buy GT5.[/quote]
Two arcade racers for the entirety of 2010 is saturating the market, especially with another one coming in 2011? Right. Then there's the hyped simulation that will be out several months before Apocalypse that appeals to a mostly different crowd. Great logic.
[quote name='lordopus99']Never said it wouldn't have better success. I just essentially stated it was a port, which it was. In other words, don't get too excited. Those that have a Wii and like that type of game would have already played it.[/quote]
Then you're accounting for maybe just over 10k people, versus the hundreds of thousands that enjoyed the original that can now check it out on the consoles they played it on, especially as a free bonus in the CE.
[quote name='lordopus99']Just a few games to compare... Splinter Cell Choas Theory, Ninja Gaiden 1, Resident Evil 4, heck even Mario 64, I could go on about games that looked better from previous generations than the games I listed prior.[/quote]
:lol:
997846_20100616_screen015.jpg

mario64_790screen002.jpg

991333_20100615_screen001.jpg

921914_20050328_screen026.jpg
[quote name='lordopus99']Last Guardian is rumor to hit this November, not next year. Uncharted 3... some were expecting/hoping to hear
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=251581 , http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/10/e3-2010-bingo-sony/
. Remember God of War 3 was shown a year in advance so it wasn't too much to ask for. As for Rockstar, they would have shown if they had something for it. I guess they are too hard on work on a new Grand Theft Auto to even worry about Agent.[/QUOTE]
Not by anybody that looked at it realistically. Hoping to hear about it isn't any kind of legitimate proof that it should have been there. Team Ico's not obligated to show up at every event to show their latest build of the game, which is how they've always operated. They work at their studio until they have significant things to announce, like the game itself or its release.

Rockstar had three games that they could've shown if they came to the show, so you're suggesting that they don't care about LA Noire, Max Payne 3, and Agent. If they're not at the show, then they're obviously not going to work on special trailers or demos for their games so that people know what is up with them.

Well I hate the 3d trend because I already wear glasses and I don't want to wear another pair on top of these to enjoy a game!! Are they just forgetting that a large part of the population wear corrective lens?

[quote name='kingkiller33']Well I hate the 3d trend because I already wear glasses and I don't want to wear another pair on top of these to enjoy a game!! Are they just forgetting that a large part of the population wear corrective lens?[/QUOTE]

get contacts, pussy.

[quote name='Thomas96']lol All I'm saying is that I wish that the new 3D capable TVs could do the TV without the 130 - 200 dollar glasses.... the same way that the 3DS does 3D without any glasses required. I'm wondering why you would disagree with that... you rather spend 130 -200 dollars for glasses. Even if it was 5 dollars for the glasses... there's tech out there that would make the tech obsolete... I wish that these companies would have went with that instead of the present method with the glasses.[/QUOTE]

I'm disagreeing that the current set of 3D TVs can do 3D without glasses. There is no FW update that will allow them to do it. It is different tech, that's why I would disagree.

Did you happen to catch the resolution on a 3DS by the way? Do you know how good the viewing angle is (I don't obviously, but I doubt it'd translate to a large screen right now)? I don't for a second think the tech is there for 40-80" TVs to be able to put out even 720p images in 3D without glasses. Even if the glasses-less tech would be available, I have a hard time imaging it costing less than what the current sets + 2 pairs of glasses are going for.

Also I wouldn't mind buying the glasses, if it meant that I didn't have to buy a new TV. But with the present situation you need a new TV and pairs of glasses.
Not true. There have been 3D ready displays since 2007. I've owned one since Dec. 2008. So not everyone needs a new TV and glasses. Some people just need glasses and a $100 adapter.

[quote name='kingkiller33']Well I hate the 3d trend because I already wear glasses and I don't want to wear another pair on top of these to enjoy a game!! Are they just forgetting that a large part of the population wear corrective lens?[/QUOTE]
Active shutter glasses fit comfortably (IMO and others who've used them) over corrective lenses.

[quote name='pjb16']I'm disagreeing that the current set of 3D TVs can do 3D without glasses. There is no FW update that will allow them to do it. It is different tech, that's why I would disagree.

Did you happen to catch the resolution on a 3DS by the way? Do you know how good the viewing angle is (I don't obviously, but I doubt it'd translate to a large screen right now)? I don't for a second think the tech is there for 40-80" TVs to be able to put out even 720p images in 3D without glasses. Even if the glasses-less tech would be available, I have a hard time imaging it costing less than what the current sets + 2 pairs of glasses are going for.

Not true. There have been 3D ready displays since 2007. I've owned one since Dec. 2008. So not everyone needs a new TV and glasses. Some people just need glasses and a $100 adapter.[/QUOTE]

you might disagree with this.. but I said that "I WISH" that the current 3D TVs could do the 3D without the need for any glasses. I know you've been ready for 3D since 2 years ago... but for almost everyone else to get on the 3D bandwagon.. you need 3D TV and 3D Glasses.

The glassless 3D technology is nowhere close to being ready for the living room. The last I heard was that any of those TVs only worked in specific viewing angles, which is why it'll work well for the 3DS on a small screen.

[quote name='Thomas96']you might disagree with this.. but I said that "I WISH" that the current 3D TVs could do the 3D without the need for any glasses. I know you've been ready for 3D since 2 years ago... but for almost everyone else to get on the 3D bandwagon.. you need 3D TV and 3D Glasses.[/QUOTE]
No, I disagreed with this from your original statement:
If the 3DS can have 3D without glasses, then I KNOW some of these TVs could do the same thing.

I don't disagree with your wish. It's a great wish. I wish that tech was out too, but these TVs can't do what you "know they can."

And actually I just got glasses last week so I haven't been ready for 2 years. :razz:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was really hoping for a PSP2 to be announced. I really want to buy a PSP. I really love how the PSP Go looks, but I really hate the digital-only games for the thing. Some games only come out on UMD, and I don't want to be screwed if a really great game comes out but there's no PSN version of it. Also, I haven't verified this, but I heard that some of the games are up to 500 MB--so I'd need to either upgrade my PS3 HDD, or get an external HDD. Also, there's the issue of price competition (you can only buy it from PSN, or perhaps from Amazon) and you no longer have the ability to buy the game used.

I would get a PSP3000, but I looked at one in a Sony store and it just felt cheap and the little analog nub felt really weird--also, the 3000 is too damned big.

Anyway, it sucks b/c I want to play the God of War games on the PSP, and perhaps "Project K" if Sega releases it in the USA.

Can the OP be updated with all that was talked about at e3 from sony? As of right now the only thing that I have seen that I'm glad they talked about was twisted metal for the PS3. I wonder if people still play black online?

**Stays away from the 3d and other arguments**

Did anybody else's jaw hit the floor and had a stupid grin on their face for the entirety of the Twisted Metal trailer?

Other than some needed polish on the gfx, that game looks bad ass, I was shocked to see how many people dismissed it when I was reading, their loss. (More likely they'll bandwagon jump, as they always do :roll: and say it's the coolest game ever)

Not Sony, but I was shocked to see such lack of enthusiasm for the new Metroid...instead Kirby and DK got more love. **shrugs**

Anyway, anybody heard anything on NecroMachina (other than the trailer) release date, etc. Squenix, was either ignored or pretty quiet Mon & Tues, and shockingly enough they have most of the games I'm interested in, (Dues Ex, NecroMachina, 3rd B-day) and MvC 3, I mean come on....:drool: how awesome!!!

This is one of the first E3's I've been excited with many of the games coming out, in terms of games coming out more than hardware announcements. Good Stuff. :D

[quote name='uncle5555']**Stays away from the 3d and other arguments**

Did anybody else's jaw hit the floor and had a stupid grin on their face for the entirety of the Twisted Metal trailer?

Other than some needed polish on the gfx, that game looks bad ass, I was shocked to see how many people dismissed it when I was reading, their loss. (More likely they'll bandwagon jump, as they always do :roll: and say it's the coolest game ever)

Not Sony, but I was shocked to see such lack of enthusiasm for the new Metroid...instead Kirby and DK got more love. **shrugs**

Anyway, anybody heard anything on NecroMachina (other than the trailer) release date, etc. Squenix, was either ignored or pretty quiet Mon & Tues, and shockingly enough they have most of the games I'm interested in, (Dues Ex, NecroMachina, 3rd B-day) and MvC 3, I mean come on....:drool: how awesome!!!

This is one of the first E3's I've been excited with many of the games coming out, in terms of games coming out more than hardware announcements. Good Stuff. :D[/QUOTE]
Maybe because people have know about Metroid for a while? *shrugs*

I'm going to guess F-Zero and Starfox are shown next year though. :lol:

[quote name='uncle5555']**Stays away from the 3d and other arguments**

This is one of the first E3's I've been excited with many of the games coming out, in terms of games coming out more than hardware announcements. Good Stuff. :D[/QUOTE]

the game looked cool and it seems like itll be very fun in mp. oddly enugh though ive never played a tm game. ive had every sony home console but never tried them. i could see getting this one once it hits 30.

[quote name='sendme']Can the OP be updated with all that was talked about at e3 from sony? As of right now the only thing that I have seen that I'm glad they talked about was twisted metal for the PS3. I wonder if people still play black online?[/QUOTE]
There's a thread in general gaming that has what you're looking for.

[quote name='uncle5555']Not Sony, but I was shocked to see such lack of enthusiasm for the new Metroid...instead Kirby and DK got more love. **shrugs**[/QUOTE]

I still need to watch the Nintendo press conference, but I'm pretty bummed about the new Zelda (saw screen shots on Kotaku and Joystiq). It's like they went backwards in time with this newest one. I really liked the TWP style and graphics (before I got a PS3). But the new one looks terrible compared to TWP (the trees and stuff are blocky, no textures at all, etc.).

I kind of got turned off to the newest Metroid when I heard Brad from Giant Bomb went to Nintendo's HQ to play the game and learned that you have to switch to FPS mode to shoot missiles and you can't move--Doh! I was really excited to see it in 3rd person view, then they got to go ahead and shoehorn some more motion crap in there.

Man, Nintendo has never been such a let down for me, I used to buy everything they put out, but now I don't know if I should bother.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm pretty excited about the upcoming Sony games, but I hope the playing the 3D games in non-3D doesn't ruin the game (I don't see myself getting a 3D TV anytime soon).

[quote name='jh6269']I still need to watch the Nintendo press conference, but I'm pretty bummed about the new Zelda (saw screen shots on Kotaku and Joystiq). It's like they went backwards in time with this newest one. I really liked the TWP style and graphics (before I got a PS3). But the new one looks terrible compared to TWP (the trees and stuff are blocky, no textures at all, etc.).

I kind of got turned off to the newest Metroid when I heard Brad from Giant Bomb went to Nintendo's HQ to play the game and learned that you have to switch to FPS mode to shoot missiles and you can't move--Doh! I was really excited to see it in 3rd person view, then they got to go ahead and shoehorn some more motion crap in there.

Man, Nintendo has never been such a let down for me, I used to buy everything they put out, but now I don't know if I should bother.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm pretty excited about the upcoming Sony games, but I hope the playing the 3D games in non-3D doesn't ruin the game (I don't see myself getting a 3D TV anytime soon).[/QUOTE]
I can't imagine why it would.

[quote name='pjb16']
[quote name='jh6269']but I hope the playing the 3D games in non-3D doesn't ruin the game[/QUOTE]
I can't imagine why it would.[/QUOTE]

Well, I was watching the Sony press conf. today and Kaz was saying that these games (Kilzone 3, etc.) were created for 3D from the ground up... so I'm wondering if you switch it to non-3D, will it still look as good/play the same, etc.

[quote name='jh6269']Well, I was watching the Sony press conf. today and Kaz was saying that these games (Kilzone 3, etc.) were created for 3D from the ground up... so I'm wondering if you switch it to non-3D, will it still look as good/play the same, etc.[/QUOTE]
Yea, but built from the ground up likely just means they don't want to degrade the final product like they had to with Wipeout HD in order to achieve 3D. It just means it was designed with 3D in mind (the current games were not, to my knowledge).

I would be willing to bet money the games will look great in 2D.

[quote name='pjb16']Yea, but built from the ground up likely just means they don't want to degrade the final product like they had to with Wipeout HD in order to achieve 3D. It just means it was designed with 3D in mind (the current games were not, to my knowledge).

I would be willing to bet money the games will look great in 2D.[/QUOTE]

Well, I hope you're right; I'm cautiously optimistic. The trailers looked great, so I am hoping that what was shown is how it really looks in 2D. I had heard about the Wipeout HD thing as well, that they have to degrade the graphics and framerate a bit to get it to be in 3D--that's why I am a little worried that when you turn 3D off, you're left with a lower framerate and slightly worse graphics.

[quote name='jh6269']Well, I hope you're right; I'm cautiously optimistic. The trailers looked great, so I am hoping that what was shown is how it really looks in 2D. I had heard about the Wipeout HD thing as well, that they have to degrade the graphics and framerate a bit to get it to be in 3D--that's why I am a little worried that when you turn 3D off, you're left with a lower framerate and slightly worse graphics.[/QUOTE]

this is just the start of 3D.. so it definitely wouldn't be wise to degrade the 2D version of the game as most people will be playing the game without the 3D option.

I love how Sony's conference constantly showed their exclusives to show why they are standing out (Note to Microsoft: Don't start your show with third party games.) Best of all, it wasn't just Move (which I'm still not sold on) and felt more informative than Microsoft's press conference.

Really looking forward to Medal of Honor, which was the game that got me into the FPS genre to begin with. The R&C/Jak and D/Sly crossover also has my interest. Even though my backlog of PS3 games is tremendous, I'm really interested in seeing more of Dead Space 2 - one of the few FPS games shown throughout E3 that didn't feel like "yet another first person shooter".

And "COME ON". You can't go wrong with Kevin Butler whose over the top speech (complete with background music and Microsoft diss) will not be forgotten.

[quote name='pjb16']Maybe because people have know about Metroid for a while? *shrugs*

I'm going to guess F-Zero and Starfox are shown next year though. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Granted, but it looks damn cool, that's why I'm absolutely floored by the lack of excitement over it, guess it's just me.

But that's what I've noticed over the last few days, if it wasn't brand spankin' new news it got a BIG'ole "Meh" from the people at the show and online. :roll:

Makes me think Sony shoulda held off on announcing LBP2 and Infamous 2 until E3 to keep some of the excitement going. (Kept reading gripes about no Uncharted 3 announcement over and over...)

I think that the games journalists and fans are becoming information whores.

(I'm basing this on the reactions I've read all week)

If it ain't brand spankin' new news that no one has heard about or leaked way beforehand, no one gives a crap if it's officially announced 2-3 days or a week or two later, by then it's not exciting anymore...

[quote name='lokizz']the game looked cool and it seems like itll be very fun in mp. oddly enugh though ive never played a tm game. ive had every sony home console but never tried them. i could see getting this one once it hits 30.[/QUOTE]

TM Black is still worth getting in my opinion, a great game. I don't see Jaffe and the rest of E.S.P. letting anyone down with that game, it's been a major title that's been anticipated for four years now.

[quote name='jh6269']I still need to watch the Nintendo press conference...It's like they went backwards in time with this newest one.

I kind of got turned off to the newest Metroid...Brad from Giant Bomb went to Nintendo's HQ to play...to FPS mode to shoot missiles and you can't move--Doh!...shoehorn some more motion crap in there.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm pretty excited about the upcoming Sony games, but I hope the playing the 3D games in non-3D doesn't ruin the game (I don't see myself getting a 3D TV anytime soon).[/QUOTE]

Again I don't want to derail this thread too much with Nintendo talk, but I agree. Zelda looks and plays like Zelda, I'm glad they put new stuff in it, but Miyamoto (Nintendo in general) being anal about everything being motion controlled is wearing thin (and this is from a new Wii owner) let me play it my way, Sony doesn't have a problem doing this (Move or DS3), so why does Nintendo?

I've seen Metroid stuff with Samus shooting missiles in 3rd person, so I don't know what to say about that, I think it's pretty neat letting you switch between both types.

Out of the 10 new games they highlighted at the end of the conference I'm interested in 2. Zelda and Metroid. I never owned Goldeneye (but did play it after the fact, as was pretty bored by it), and I missed Kirby's go arounds at the end of the NES life cycle and his SNES games, he's a character I don't have much affinity towards.

But there was so much geek-asm at the show and online about those two titles and the 3DS (yee-haw...) that I was like "what did I miss".

Sure Nintendo showed a lot of good games and stuff people wanted, but I like how Sony still pushed good games and new hardware as well not leaving things stagnant. My only issue with their conference was it was too loooong. A few minutes short of 2 hours was too much.

Demoing the Move...smart idea (Heroes on the Move..yea!!!), too much blabbering on 3D since they only had a handful of things to show on it, fell into too much, too soon. I know the PSP needed a boost, but they went on too much with that as well.

LBP2, I mean that has me the most excited because of the creation tools more than anything else. I'm still astounded by the amount of things that can be made in that game, that's how a sequel SHOULD be done.

I guess a few less Montages, putting Kevin Butler in at the start or end, and tightening up the show to about 90 minutes would have helped out the lack of "enthusiasm" that the gaming press and fans came away with.

My only real gripe is not with the press conferences themselves, but the lack of press some companies and specific games are getting.

I wanted to know more about Necro Machina (as I mentioned before), I saw only a indi-press video on Hard Corps: Uprising and nothing on Gamespot (which is where I was getting most of my news) no information on Lost in Shadow, nothing on 3rd Birthday (Parasite Eve 3), and a few others I really wanted to know something on.

I watched the floor demos of a few games Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 seems like it needs something (I.e. fun added), Marvel vs. Capcom 3 I want right now, I'm happy Namco is making new Guncon games, and 3 games on one disc, that was news I wasn't expecting, with added Move support as well :applause:.

I guess what I'm saying it a lot of things I was interested in were "glossed" over or ignored by many in the mainstream press, which was a shame, that's what I keep an eye out on E3 for, the lesser known, hidden gem games, that actually NEED the press coverage, I felt sad for Iga when he said please get the word out for my game (the Konami event was a joke anyway, the way it was set up)

Anyway that's my long winded take on things.

bread's done
Back