Sony Playstation Home - Gen. Discussion & Info - Open Beta Available Now

[quote name='neverletthem']

3. $5 to make a club, with possible monthly charges in the future? REALLY? That's just, not even worth talking about. I mean, I can sort of see where Sony is going with charging small amounts of $ for clothes (not buying any, though), but monthly charges for a club? Do you get any GAIN out of that?

[/QUOTE]

This is my biggest point of contention with it as well.

[quote name='metaly']Don't forget about the chatpad adventures, freaky. ;)

BUT! I did discover this...
POOKA.jpg

POOKA!! One of my favorite characters of all time, and now he's here. I put a bunch of these around my place. Here we are having a deep discussion.
[/quote]

LOL, I wasn't sure if the avatar dancing inside you in front of the PS3 Chatpad ad was a boy or a girl, but it was amusing nonetheless :lol:

That's really cool! Pooka is the only thing you got? How about Pac-man, or even the ghosts?

So I finally got in late last night. It looks really neat...but there isn't really much to do right now. And if I wanted to do something, everyone was hogging all the games. It is also a real sausage fest right now (that's why I have a female avatar to break up the monotony.) Also, everyone wears the same blue home shirt. One of my male avatars has a black shirt and red pants which no one else seemed to wear.

While i was able to get by with my keyboard, I long for a Sony bluetooth headset.

BTW, what is the name of the CAG group? I searched cag and found nothing of that sort. I would like to hang out with some of you guys!

What are the things we have to do to unlock all the in-home items from Namco Museum again?

I'm missing a few still. 1 in galaga, a few in xevious, and the two goddamned vegetables in Dig Dug.

Interest in CAG clubs seem to have died down what with the upcoming monthly fee. Could've sworn they said basic clubs would be free. Oh, well.

Ha, just noticed a book called "The Travels of Marco Polo" in Sully's Bar. Oh, and then there's the Tibetan Ritual Axe outside. I guess we had hints of what Uncharted 2 will be about for a while now.

I was at Sully's and I guess I came in on the tail end of a conversation. Some guy with a mic was saying sorry to another man and that he shouldn't have to put up with racist comments. Seems the mods had to come in and some how kicked the insulter fairly quickly. Though I don't even know how to report people myself.

There was one woman on a mic there too, hours before though. And she was just talking to someone and the guys started saying nasty things to her. Hope the reporting system works well and muting is easy because once this goes live there is going to be kids walking around hearing things they shouldn't so maybe it can be controlled.

Also people sitting around chatting about different things in a big circle in the center area and texting while they dance in front of the voting dj. They were asking what kind of games they liked to play and making friends. Surprised me some but it seemed that people were actually using the system the way Sony had hoped, at least so far.

[quote name='KingBroly']Then it's clear: Downloadable Content![/quote]
I wouldn't be surprised.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']
Agreed, where hell are the five'o clock shadows Sony? :[[/quote]
'xactly.
I couldn't believe the facial hair options. :roll:

[quote name='mykevermin']What are the things we have to do to unlock all the in-home items from Namco Museum again?

I'm missing a few still. 1 in galaga, a few in xevious, and the two goddamned vegetables in Dig Dug.[/quote]
I posted a list under a spoiler in this thread I believe.
Couple things I'm not sure of though.
I have them all save for two items in Xevious.
And one of those is the sweet 4 in 1 cocktail arcade machine. :(

Already ran into a few bugs that I didn't encounter during the closed beta.

The first bug made my pop-up menus disappear. I could hear clicks when I cycled through the menu but nothing showed up on my screen. The second bug completely emptied my inventory of items won in arcade games -- clothes, furniture, everything. Restarting Home fixed everything, thankfully.

BTW, does the Uncharted arcade game give you any items? I finished it but got nothing.

Against my better judgment, I bought a club. They won't start charging monthly fees until March 2009 so I went for it.

It's called "Club CAG". I'll create a thread in an attempt to maximize the club's usefulness. If possible, I'd like to keep other CAG members from buying a virtual playhouse for (cringe) $5.00. There's got to be a way to do this. I'll be playing around a bit to see how we can do this the cheapest way possible -- all in the site's spirit, of course!

If this fails, well... That's one lunch down the drain. No big deal.

EDIT: Do we have some German members reading this? I got this message over PSN that I can't read and they're apparently applying for the club. Should've paid more attention in German class.

I'll need a minute. Right after I bought the club I was booted out of Home. I swear, if it's gone when I log back in...

Home ain't worth a monthly fee. At least, not what I saw last night. We waited how long and got...this? You'd think Sony would know better how to run an online world what with all the MMOs they own.

[quote name='gunm']Home ain't worth a monthly fee. At least, not what I saw last night. We waited how long and got...this? You'd think Sony would know better how to run an online world what with all the MMOs they own.[/QUOTE]

Home does not have a monthly fee.

I was referring to the clubs.

Maybe there'll be some value to it for some, but the content will have to be spectacular IMO.

[quote name='gunm']Home ain't worth a monthly fee. At least, not what I saw last night. We waited how long and got...this? You'd think Sony would know better how to run an online world what with all the MMOs they own.[/quote]
Comments like these make me laugh; Home has been open for less than 24 hours and people are already dismissing it. First of all, understand that they used the term "beta" for a reason, it's to signify that they KNEW there would be issues and intend on fixing them. Secondly, we are not being charged for this content, it's FREE ... there's a quibble about a gift horse and a mouth I recall. Lastly (and this is built on hope) this could open the door to some really cool stuff from 3rd parties; right now we have the air race from Red Bull and I PRAY that it's just the start of some kick ass content that will be created for this world.

For those that are griefing because of the issues, wait for about a week and then come back, I'm sure many of these problems will be fixed by then. For anyone else who just doesn't like it, don't use it; Sony isn't forcing this on anyone and since you didn't pay for it you're not out anything except your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty unhappy , I couldn't get on in time to get my Summer Home for free , because the servers were screwed .

Oh well , at least I have a kick ass Galaga t-shirt .

[quote name='OatmealMu']Against my better judgment, I bought a club. They won't start charging monthly fees until March 2009 so I went for it.

It's called "Club CAG". I'll create a thread in an attempt to maximize the club's usefulness. If possible, I'd like to keep other CAG members from buying a virtual playhouse for (cringe) $5.00. There's got to be a way to do this. I'll be playing around a bit to see how we can do this the cheapest way possible -- all in the site's spirit, of course!

If this fails, well... That's one lunch down the drain. No big deal.

EDIT: Do we have some German members reading this? I got this message over PSN that I can't read and they're apparently applying for the club. Should've paid more attention in German class.[/quote]

Thats pretty cool of you. It should work well for Game Launching. Ill apply next time I get on.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Comments like these make me laugh; Home has been open for less than 24 hours and people are already dismissing it. [/quote]
In fairness though, it has been in various stages of development for like four or five years-- it was originally conceptualized as a PS2 product. Aside from the issue of glitches and bugs, you'd think they'd have a little more content ready to go.

[quote name='Richlough']I'm pretty unhappy , I couldn't get on in time to get my Summer Home for free , because the servers were screwed .

Oh well , at least I have a kick ass Galaga t-shirt .[/quote]Didn't you have like a week to get it?
They weren't screwed all week, only the last night as they updated to the open beta.

[quote name='dallow']I posted a list under a spoiler in this thread I believe.
Couple things I'm not sure of though.
I have them all save for two items in Xevious.
And one of those is the sweet 4 in 1 cocktail arcade machine. :([/QUOTE]

For xevious, the 2 final gifts are.

3) White tower, which is on the same screen as the 3 tanks in a row after the first river thingy, its a secret spot that you have to bomb to make appear, (just south and east from the 3 tanks)

4) White Flag, apparently randomly will appear if you bomb a spot in a river just after those 3 tanks. mine was on the west most side of the river, near the south bank.

Good luck.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']In fairness though, it has been in various stages of development for like four or five years-- it was originally conceptualized as a PS2 product. Aside from the issue of glitches and bugs, you'd think they'd have a little more content ready to go.[/quote]
I suppose, but think of the work that goes into a project like this; content is one of those things that can be added as a day 2 initiative. I mean the development framework alone is enough to boggle the mind let alone building the hardware and network infrastructure to support such an ambitious attempt.

Yeah, they could have more clothes and more facial options (I am bugged that there's no goatee available) but I can live with that as long as the environment is stable and they work on getting that content out right after fixing the launch bugs. I just hope they don't pull what they did with the PS1 games and the PSP and trickle the content out slowly for the US but open the flood gates for Japan.

Again, I'll wait and will be (un)happy to eat crow if there's still nothing in 3 months.

[quote name='jonlubbe']For xevious, the 2 final gifts are.

3) White tower, which is on the same screen as the 3 tanks in a row after the first river thingy, its a secret spot that you have to bomb to make appear, (just south and east from the 3 tanks)

4) White Flag, apparently randomly will appear if you bomb a spot in a river just after those 3 tanks. mine was on the west most side of the river, near the south bank.

Good luck.[/quote]
Wow, thanks, where'd you get that info?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']In fairness though, it has been in various stages of development for like four or five years-- it was originally conceptualized as a PS2 product. Aside from the issue of glitches and bugs, you'd think they'd have a little more content ready to go.[/quote]

Yes, my sentiments exactly.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I suppose, but think of the work that goes into a project like this; content is one of those things that can be added as a day 2 initiative. I mean the development framework alone is enough to boggle the mind let alone building the hardware and network infrastructure to support such an ambitious attempt.[/quote]
I'm guessing that Home's development included a lot of stopping and starting, direction changes, and "back to the drawing board" moments. Otherwise it's hard to imagine how a development cycle comparable to World of Warcraft's produced only four areas and some chat functionality, you know? I'm sure you're right that more content will be quickly forthcoming now that the basic framework is up and running.

does the echochrome clothing disappear for anyone else after they log out and then back into home? I have the top saved as my default shirt, but when I log back in I show up wearing a white-T.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Home is awful.
Home is the culmination of everything sony is doing wrong.
I have no clue why this thing exists.[/quote]

like all things on this planet (apparently)...to piss you off

:D

I'd like to say that this isn't really true, but....http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/12/12/ The fact that pool tables, bowling lanes, and arcade games can be "full" is complete crap, especially for how basic they are. And watching Home avatars pretend to have sex is really creepy.

The customization options for your avatars are simultaneously terrible and good. You can do quite a bit with the sliders for subtle details, but for a guy there are no facial hair options besides "dumb looking mustache." But in the end you just look like a creepy robot no matter what you do.

[quote name='josh_animebum']I'd like to say that this isn't really true, but....http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/12/12/ The fact that pool tables, bowling lanes, and arcade games can be "full" is complete crap, especially for how basic they are. And watching Home avatars pretend to have sex is really creepy.

The customization options for your avatars are simultaneously terrible and good. You can do quite a bit with the sliders for subtle details, but for a guy there are no facial hair options besides "dumb looking mustache." But in the end you just look like a creepy robot no matter what you do.[/quote]

That's why I have a pink mohawk and a blue unibrow, better look as creepy as possible if you'll be creepy anyway.

I played a game of chess (actually won), which was alright. I'm glad I finally go in. It isn't mind blowing, but I didn't expect much. It actually look better than I expect, and chess is kind of nice to have. I'll need to try bowling and pool and stuff. It's also hilarious that any female avatar has like 4 males around it asking how old he (you know it's probably a dude) is.

[quote name='dallow']Didn't you have like a week to get it?
They weren't screwed all week, only the last night as they updated to the open beta.[/QUOTE]

I guess I did , but I didn't see the rush .
I didn't know [or think] they would convert it to public beta , plus I already downloaded everything twice anyway .

I think you should start the CAG club this time , you seem to be more up on things .

[quote name='dallow']http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/virtually-social_6

Really good, and insightful article on Home.

[/quote]

I dunno, the article says less about Home than it does about the power of social networking in the online/virtual space. I don't think anyone (here at least) is dismissing Home for what it could potentially do, just what it does or doesn't do now. And most of it is weighed by how long it's taken Sony to implement, given their experience with other MMOs properties they already own (although not necessarily developed in-house).

For people saying Home is awful, Just don't play it. We know you tried it once and it sucks. Thanks for letting us know. I never heard so many people complain about something free. But anyways, I need to finish Galaga and Xevious (probably wrong spelling but you get the drift) to get the rest of the gifts. The one thing that sucks is that if you get the cabinets you can't play em in your Home. Is there a description of itmes you win for the Namco beta? I won a Item and have no idea what it is. I checked the clothes and apartment items, and i saw nothing new at all.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']For people saying Home is awful, Just don't play it. We know you tried it once and it sucks. Thanks for letting us know. I never heard so many people complain about something free. But anyways, I need to finish Galaga and Xevious (probably wrong spelling but you get the drift) to get the rest of the gifts. The one thing that sucks is that if you get the cabinets you can't play em in your Home. Is there a description of itmes you win for the Namco beta? I won a Item and have no idea what it is. I checked the clothes and apartment items, and i saw nothing new at all.[/quote]Someone here said if you get the HK Beta of Namco Museum, that the arcades will work in your US Home.

Also, some of the items that are unlocked, are clothing for female avatars only. So make a 'chick' and check the clothes.

[quote name='dallow']Someone here said if you get the HK Beta of Namco Museum, that the arcades will work in your US Home.

Also, some of the items that are unlocked, are clothing for female avatars only. So make a 'chick' and check the clothes.[/quote]

I actually have a chick Avatar just to mess with the people on it cause it's fun seeing a flock of guys running up to you. :p But yeah, nothing at all. same clothing as before.

I tested home with some people from other regions. Friends from whatever region can join your Home, but you cannot go to places with them (I can understand that for now due to license restriction, such as some movies/music being owned by different companies in different regions).

I played pool earlier this morning with a friend and liked it. Funny thing is I see myself using Home now instead of the regular internet (like in forums). :lol:
[quote name='n8rockerasu']like all things on this planet (apparently)...to piss you off

:D[/QUOTE]He just doesn't like the idea of avatars for video games. His choice. I don't mind them (I actually like them).
[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'm guessing that Home's development included a lot of stopping and starting, direction changes, and "back to the drawing board" moments. Otherwise it's hard to imagine how a development cycle comparable to World of Warcraft's produced only four areas and some chat functionality, you know? I'm sure you're right that more content will be quickly forthcoming now that the basic framework is up and running.[/QUOTE]According to some SCE employees, Home was actually headed in one direction. Then a year ago, they realized they did NOT like the direction they took it, and felt it was better going another direction, so it was delayed and re-done a bit.

bread's done
Back