Sony Playstation Home - Gen. Discussion & Info - Open Beta Available Now

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']From the blog post:[/QUOTE]
thanks.. i tried reading some of the press releases and I must have missed that one.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Monthly fee for a club? Sounds more like a union to me. Bunch of bullshit.[/quote]
Are you sure it is monthly?

[quote name='cheezisgoooood']This is ridiculous, I keep trying to get in and it won't stop saying network error. Anyone else having this problem?[/quote]
Nope. Everything worked fine here.

You're not missing much. Trust me.

Edit: Ha, right after I typed my reply, I got a connection error in Home. Oh well. I was pretty much done with it anyway... after seeing all there is to see in 45 minutes.

Monthly fee sounds like guild fees...WITH REAL MONEY!

I'd do a group if I had a PS3, or if my friends actually used their PS3's. We'd just pitch in.

But before that I'd like to actually log into home. NETWORK ERROR C-931!

I've been getting the same error code - actually I've gotten 3 different error codes, but that was one of them.

I'm still hoping that trophies work out to some kind of alternative form of home currency (bronze is the equivalent of 5 cents, silver 10 and gold 25 or something)

Home IS an awesome social networking place. I started messing with it and got sucked in. While I thought the Uncharted bar or whatever was pretty cool, I really loved the movie theater and bowling alley especially. It was funny, I played a game of bowling and became friends with the one I bowled against (we had a nice chat. He added me after the game as a friend, but might not be able to accept since my list is near full). It was so cool being in the movie theater, being able to sit down, and watch movie previews. I loved the TV up that showed SFII Turbo HD.

The first time I could not get into home, but the 2nd time it worked.

I pretty much guarantee some will still have issues because Home is still in a beta phase.

I finally got in. You have to download the rest of the world? WHAT THE SHAQ FU?! I thought I already downloaded HOME?

I just wanna go out and do the running man.

Wait, they're showing shit now in the movie theater?

They've been showing that shitty Socom game preview over and over for two weeks now. :|

[quote name='cheezisgoooood']This is ridiculous, I keep trying to get in and it won't stop saying network error. Anyone else having this problem?[/QUOTE]ditto. stupid network errors now i'm geting timeout errors

[quote name='tiredfornow']Wait, they're showing shit now in the movie theater?

They've been showing that shitty Socom game preview over and over for two weeks now. :|[/QUOTE]They showed various movie trailers while I was there.

Home will finally give me a chance to socialize and hang out with friends, but in a virtual world. ;)

So, how does Home work in terms of a bunch of people being online at once? Like, when you log in, do you see 5000 other people standing there? Or does it randomly assign you to a server with only a handful of other people? It seems like those virtual spaces would get too crowded to be usable really quick.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm going to go with an over on that, since they'll patiently download each and every section of Home individually first. PS3 owners are pretty patient, you know.

I kinda wish they'd have the "Hall of Fame" area ready for this. It's kinda what created Trophies, and they need that 3d space to show off their many emblems of nothingness.[/QUOTE]

PS3 owners are like the woman in an abusive relationship. They keep coming back no matter how shitty it gets.

This launch is like the husband coming back to the house at 2am drunk and in a bad mood.

They've been showing that shitty Socom game preview over and over for two weeks now. :|[/quote]

Sony needs to have Homeflix, you pay $5 a month or something and you get unlimited access to the Home movie theater where they stream movies all day and night (on a schedule). They just need to include some between theater and DVD releases (of Sony movies) and people will buy it. It should also allow the option of public chat during the movie.

[quote name='cheezisgoooood']This is ridiculous, I keep trying to get in and it won't stop saying network error. Anyone else having this problem?[/quote]

Same here, Sony is really awful in handling online interactivity.

They've been showing that shitty Socom game preview over and over for two weeks now. :|[/quote]
New Watchmen trailer and greeting from the director.
Also Watchmen shirts or something.

I'l be off work in the next few hours. Hopefully I'll be able to get on, though I'm not going to hold my breath. I figured this would happen though, so it's not that much of a downer. The whole thing will probalbly get ironed out in a week or two once the servers are being spammed to hell.

There was the trailer for Twilight and then a paramore music video from the soundtrack, not sure which was worse.

I couldn't get on at 6:50 this morning. So I got pist off after the like the third try and went to bed. So I guess it hasn't change much at all huh?

[quote name='Nephlabobo']PS3 owners are like the woman in an abusive relationship. They keep coming back no matter how shitty it gets.

This launch is like the husband coming back to the house at 2am drunk and in a bad mood.[/QUOTE]

LOL good point, and its complete with - you the jealous Girlfriend that wants to fuck the husband, and sits around saying "I told you so" every chance she gets.

[Real Men Of Guinness]
So here's to you Mr. jealous Girlfriend that wants to fuck the husband, and sits around saying "I told you so" every chance she gets." Guy!

[quote name='Thomas96']LOL good point, and its complete with - you the jealous Girlfriend that wants to fuck the husband, and sits around saying "I told you so" every chance she gets.

So here's to you Mr. jealous Girlfriend that wants to fuck the husband, and sits around saying "I told you so" every chance she gets." Guy![/quote]What the Hell did you just say? :whistle2:#

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Kudos to Microsoft for at least not fucking up the NXE nearly this bad.[/quote]NXE = XMB.
An MMO type game isn't a user interface.

Yeah basically I get to the TOS and cant go any farther than that. I pretty much expected problems but damn son, Sony needs to draw the line somewhere

home=meh

there weren't a lot of people at the dance party.
they were showing twilight trailers over and over again...
and there's nothing much to do there.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Kudos to Microsoft for at least not fucking up the NXE nearly this bad.[/QUOTE]NXE was not considered beta phase. Home everywhere says "Open beta". Beta != final. The main goal of the open beta is to get everyone into home, fixing and adding features. Although there was a private beta for a while, even with every person online at once, it still wasn't enough to simulate the open beta (since right now, any PS3 connected online can get into Home). They will be listening to our feedback and working with it. Also, this is a free service to use, not something we paid for (so it's not like we are wasting our money).
[quote name='WatchdogXC']I'm in it, but don't see the point of it really.[/QUOTE]
The whole point of it is to create a community for the PS3 gamers (along with differentiate itself from the competition, since that's the one big thing PS3 needs to identify itself). For an example, those who may not visit forums much can play bowling/pool and meet people. Also gives people a place to chill every once in a while. It will also make it easy for friends to get together in one place (it's also like a chat room with friends, if you ever want to just chat) and then all jump right into an online game together.

There's no denying it will not be for every single person, but it's definitely a good way to meet people. I mean I saw people, looked at their gamercards, and it gave me an idea what games people play.
[quote name='JMEPO']Sony just took a huge ass shit on my Home parade :([/QUOTE]I was able to get on after I sent you a PSN message.

Sony could have millions of servers setup for home, but even if they did, it has NOT been tested to deal with just about every PS3 owner, which is why there's an open beta. People who tried gmail and many other services in beta could say, they have issues.

Have they added anything new (clothes, furniture, etc.), that's worth me turning on the PS3 to check out, or is it the same Home from last week?

I'm getting request timed out when I go to connect. I'm not surprised, any large MMO has server issues when they go live, and this is no exception. They'll have it fixed in a few days, I can wait it out.

I wish they would've made Home one big download instead of having to download each location separately. Anyways I figured there would be a lot of people on but things look pretty empty.

Not sure if anyone read, Jeff R. the PS Blog did post this:
Jeff Rubenstein replied on December 11, 2008 at 5:11 pm

We are aware that some of you are experiencing network-errors. We are working to get this issue resolved as soon as possible.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008...me-is-now-live/comment-page-1/#comment-137903

So they definitely are acknowledging a problem. I highly recommend no one try to bother tonight, because what happens is early in the day, the servers will be pretty packed with people signing off. As the evening progresses, more and more people will get off of work and school. As they may be fixing the issues, they may be back to where they started since more are logging on then they can fix at once. One Home cools in the middle of the night (or early morning), I expect people will be able to log on with much fewer issues. While I think Friday night may still be a bit packed, it will be better than Thursday. The weekend will probably be crammed with some issues with people having time off and all, but I'm thinking it will still be better than Thursday. Late on Sunday/Monday is when I expect everything will be like the closed beta.

Uh...I don't think that'll be happening anytime soon. Although I imagine for some games (Warhawk, Resistance 1/2, LBP?) Home might be used as a pre-game lobby of sorts.

Wow I can't believe that Home is actually out. It kinda feels like there is zero hype for it though. Maybe that's just me. I knew it was going to be botched like every single online component of stuff this gen. I can't check it out tonight but hopefully this weekend I get the time and it's actually working.

totally serious question. Did any of you seriously think this was going to work for most people on it's first day of release??
First off, it's a beta.
Secondly this has been teased to us for over a year.
Thirdly, Sony is NOT an internet/server company. They are a hardware company.

Give it a few days. Maybe try it this weekend. By then, those who have successfully tried it out will be bored with it, and the rest of us can then try it out.

bread's done
Back