Sony PlayStation Vita $170 + Free Shipping at Amazon

I had a premonition of Sony's 2015 E3 press conference... PS4(/w The Last of Us/Uncharted Trilogy Remastered) + Vita(/w Golden Abyss) for between $450-$500

The Vita was such a flop. For $100, it would be a steal, but this is asking $70 too much. I got a vita not long after it came out, but since then, I've picked up like 4 games for it. I'm sorry to say it, but Sony, you need to just stay out of the handheld market. Nintendo has too strong of a grip on that market and this is your 2nd dud.

I got my slim brand new for $160 shipped 2 months ago on ebay. The thing to do is create a custom search for yourself that alerts you of new listing with the criteria: new, buyout, newly listed and sort order from lowest to highest price.

A couple times a week someone will pop up with usually anywhere from 2 to 6 units and they don't last long. Obviously just make sure the seller is credible the listing in the description is in fact for what you want because some people list their "slightly used" ones as new.

The Vita was such a flop. For $100, it would be a steal, but this is asking $70 too much. I got a vita not long after it came out, but since then, I've picked up like 4 games for it. I'm sorry to say it, but Sony, you need to just stay out of the handheld market. Nintendo has too strong of a grip on that market and this is your 2nd dud.
As far as i'm concerned... the Vita is 100x the handheld the 3DS is..

I picked up a new 3DS XL, but the Vita is what I play. Bravely Default is pretty much the *only* title I play on the 3DS.

And Remote play..

I wouldn't call the PSP exactly a "dud." It was supported up to 2014 (worldwide) and I've got over 70 games for it.

Now the Vita on the other hand...I'm inclined to agree it's a dud. It's a pity too since the Vita has much more power than the 3DS but the support and library is abysmal...just like the Microsoft Zune, remember that? If you don't then that's exactly why I'm comparing the Zune to the Vita. The Zune still has some of the best portable audio for its size but no one cared to support it (MS themselves).

Last edited by a moderator:
100x times the handheld with 1/100x the games.
To each their own.

If a game is on both consoles, I personally will not even look at the 3DS version..

Quantity does not equal QUALITY..

What some call a great game, others may call crap..

To be fair.. there are a lot of games people recommend for the Vita, i've tried them... i didn't like them either.

As I said before, the *only* game I really even play on the 3DS is Bravely Default. You can name 100+ games that are 3DS only, I'd say 99+ of them i'm not interested in. I've downloaded a ton of 3DS demo's available on nintendo's eshop. Bravely Default was the only game that kept my interest.

Love my Vita, I *like* my 3DS.

Now i'm going to bed, taking the Vita with me for some Diablo 3 farming. Can the 3DS do that as well?

To each their own.

If a game is on both consoles, I personally will not even look at the 3DS version..

Quantity does not equal QUALITY..

What some call a great game, others may call crap..

To be fair.. there are a lot of games people recommend for the Vita, i've tried them... i didn't like them either.

As I said before, the *only* game I really even play on the 3DS is Bravely Default. You can name 100+ games that are 3DS only, I'd say 99+ of them i'm not interested in. I've downloaded a ton of 3DS demo's available on nintendo's eshop. Bravely Default was the only game that kept my interest.

Love my Vita, I *like* my 3DS.

Now i'm going to bed, taking the Vita with me for some Diablo 3 farming. Can the 3DS do that as well?
Indeed, the 3DS *can* do what you just described. You can take your 3DS to bed and do plenty of farming, albeit the non violent, adorable, kid friendly kind on Animal Crossing :lol:

Thats my point.. Kid vs Adult.

don't get me wrong, the "kid" style games are still fun.. but *my* play style.. the 3DS will always be 2nd best.

So I'm tempted to pick up a vita but I don't have a Ps4 (yet). Are there any must have titles for it? Some of the indie titles interest me, but without a ps4 is it worth getting? I'm still hoping they sell a ps4 and vita bundle someday. Sorry if this is a repeat question.

I wouldn't buy it solely because the OG model is better. The OLED screen is well worth the added weight and size.

There's plenty of Vita games for it, plus a ton of PSOne games you can play on it.

I love my Vita.
I have both versions of the Vita (I bought the second one to use with my Japanese PSN account), and when I bought the newer slimmer model, I didn't think there was any way in hell I'd like it better than the original and its OLED screen.

Well, a year into owning the second one, I think I've come around to the new model being my favorite. It's lighter and slimmer, and it's a lot more comfortable for me to hold for extended periods of gaming. The extended battery life is a big plus too, I get approximately 3x the battery life with my slim Vita that I do with my original.

Most importantly, the drop off in image quality from the OLED screen to the LCD screen is much smaller than I thought it'd be. I had thought that the LCD screen would bring the Vita down to near my 3DS XL in image quality, but it actually looks much better and is much closer to the OLED screen in quality than it is to the 3DS XL. And the LCD screen is much better outdoors during the day than the OLED screen is too.

So color me as surprised as anyone about this, but I've ended up liking the new slim model of the Vita better than the original.

Nintendo has 3 duds in the last 4 generations of home consoles. Should they stay out of the home console market?

Bought my Vita at launch, still waiting for my $50 credit from that court ruling. Was definitely worth it at the time, but now I barely pick it up. 

If you count indies I'm pretty sure the Vita actually has more games than the 3DS.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner!

I didn't even think about this.. until your post. I wondered who actually has more games, so research time.

First 3DS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games (There are currently 612 games on this list as of March 2015)

Playstation Vita.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games (As of 3rd April 2015, there are 988 total games on this list)

So yet another thing the Vita beats the 3DS at. Granted, the "quality over quantity" argument does come into play as well.

Still will choose the Vita over my New 3DS any day.

Hmm, they have a refurbished one for under $100. Any disadvantage to buying a Japanese one?
X and O are switched in the system's OS and in menus. Games play normally though (except for hot shots golf-it's the only one I've found so far where O is still functioning as X in game..rectifyed by the button remapping feature with the latest OS update though...it's immediately accessible through a drop down menu if you assign it as such)

The white/blue one I bought had a much better lcd than the U.S. 2000 I bought (less overly yellow) . The refurbs are 1000 series

Been playing with the Vita for a week and it's amazing. Slick dpad, buttons, sticks and the graphics. Shame there's not much on it though because they system had crazy potential coming off an awesome predecessor. It even uses a cart so the system is completely quite. Sony killed it with the stupid expensive memory card.

So I'm tempted to pick up a vita but I don't have a Ps4 (yet). Are there any must have titles for it? Some of the indie titles interest me, but without a ps4 is it worth getting? I'm still hoping they sell a ps4 and vita bundle someday. Sorry if this is a repeat question.
I got the BL2 bundle that was on sale recently at BB. I think if you want this as a remote play for your PS4 you might be disappointed depending on the game. Mostly because of the buttons. There isn't a way to push in the analogue sticks (RB3/LB3) and there are no "shoulder" buttons (RB1/LB1) just triggers. So everything else is emulated.

If your game is using everything your dualshock 4 has to offer, it will be using way more than the vita has to offer. So picture moving your directional (left) analogue while you are pressing your left thumb on the d-pad to mimic pressing L3 and running.

The graphics look really good, but the precision you need for say in FPS is going to mean you can hit your target but maybe not get as many head shots. Far from a total wash, but also not quite the salvation I wanted from getting ousted off the TV set either. Cheer to everyone who likes theirs, I am having a good time with titles built for the vita.

@Echotech83 I'll toss out a few of the games I enjoy for you to look at.

Disclaimer.. What one person likes, another may not like.. And I'm sure others can chime in and suggest others also.

In no order either

Freedom Wars

Fez

Spelunky

Counterspy

Rouge Legacy (Also known as Digital Crack)

Little Big Planet Vita

Lego Batman 3

Lego Movie 

Tennis in the Face 

FFX/FFX-2

I have a bunch of others that I either have not played yet, or haven't put in much time with yet. And a lot of PSP/PS1 type titles as well, leaving them off the list to just name Vita games.

Two extra mentions.

Gravity Rush - people give great reviews of it, I got it during the last flash sale but have not played it yet

Helldivers - I like the PS4 version, have not played it on Vita yet

Bought my Vita at launch, still waiting for my $50 credit from that court ruling. Was definitely worth it at the time, but now I barely pick it up.
Funny enough, just got the email today. Sounds like it's a $25 check or PSN, or $50 worth of crappy content (though I haven't seen the list yet).

Hmm.. Bought my original vita right around launch (march 2012 It says), but have not gotten an email with the $50 credit yet.  Hope this happens soon, but if not who should I contact?

Hmm.. Bought my original vita right around launch (march 2012 It says), but have not gotten an email with the $50 credit yet. Hope this happens soon, but if not who should I contact?
The email says:

If you have any questions, please call Sony Computer Entertainment America claims administration at 1-800-410-5484.
Also here's the game options, they are really crappy (and their suggested values sure as hell don't make any sense), i just chose the $25 check option:

Option 1) God of War Collection (PS3), Beyond (PS3), Twisted Metal (PS3), and Unit 13 (PSV) $92.65

Option 2) LBP2 (PS3), Puppeteer (PS3), Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PSV), and Modnation Racers (PSV) $100.46
Option 3) God of War Collection (PS3), LBP2 (PS3), Modnation Racers (PSV), and Unit 13 (PSV) $66.46

The email says:

If you have any questions, please call Sony Computer Entertainment America claims administration at 1-800-410-5484.
Also here's the game options, they are really crappy (and their suggested values sure as hell don't make any sense), i just chose the $25 check option:

Option 1) God of War Collection (PS3), Beyond (PS3), Twisted Metal (PS3), and Unit 13 (PSV) $92.65

Option 2) LBP2 (PS3), Puppeteer (PS3), Uncharted: Golden Abyss (PSV), and Modnation Racers (PSV) $100.46
Option 3) God of War Collection (PS3), LBP2 (PS3), Modnation Racers (PSV), and Unit 13 (PSV) $66.46
lol, here, have a bunch of former ps+ free games.

@Echotech83 I'll toss out a few of the games I enjoy for you to look at.

Disclaimer.. What one person likes, another may not like.. And I'm sure others can chime in and suggest others also.
In no order either

Freedom Wars
Fez
Spelunky
Counterspy
Rouge Legacy (Also known as Digital Crack)
Little Big Planet Vita
Lego Batman 3
Lego Movie
Tennis in the Face
FFX/FFX-2

I have a bunch of others that I either have not played yet, or haven't put in much time with yet. And a lot of PSP/PS1 type titles as well, leaving them off the list to just name Vita games.

Two extra mentions.
Gravity Rush - people give great reviews of it, I got it during the last flash sale but have not played it yet
Helldivers - I like the PS4 version, have not played it on Vita yet
Thanks, we have similar tastes in games. My local target has Gravity Rush,soul sacrifice, and uncharted on clearance for around $10 each.
I might grab those before I even pick up a vita. And as much as I dont want borderlands 2 (already played it to death) the bundle seems like the better deal since it has the included memory card.

I had the 3G early whatever you want to call it bundle edition . Still haven't heard from them about the money or credit.
Sold it for the white bundle , then sold that last year for a ps4 so I can play the show on a bug screen now.

I wouldn't buy it solely because the OG model is better. The OLED screen is well worth the added weight and size.

There's plenty of Vita games for it, plus a ton of PSOne games you can play on it.

I love my Vita.
Nonsense. I played on both (original model back when it was in store kiosks), and the new model looks fine. In terms of screen technology I always go with LCD anyway. OLED and Plasma don't last long. The new model also feels way better in the hands, looks cool, and is really light which is better for travel. Also you wouldn't buy it because you already have a Vita.

Slim is better. I have both and haven't used my original one since I got the slim.

Still about $75 too expensive for what the Vita has to offer (which isn't much to begin with, and is even less if you own any gaming device at all, and almost nothing if you are a PS3 / PS4 owner, although if you are a sony fanboy no amount of reasoning will be enough for you anyways).

It's a fine handheld, with a lackluster library (compared to what the DS, PSP and 3DS have to offer, although at least it does have access to an arbitrarily limited subset of the PSP library), a lot of indie ports, a handful of mediocre PS3 / PS4 ports thrown in, tacked-in, unnecessary features that most developers don't use unless held at gun point by sony and overpriced memory cards that you need but aren't included in the box (See below)

For those that might consider this "deal", you HAVE to get one of their overpriced, proprietary memory cards. They have slightly come down in price, but their prices are still moronically high, and you are limited to 32 GB (you can import a 64 GB from Japan for about ~100, which is a little over twice what something like it should be worth) so take that into account before you decide to invest any money into this sinking ship.

If you keep your expectations low it can be a decent handheld. I had pretty high expectations for it back when it came out and I picked my pre-order first thing in the morning just to wait forever for any good games that aren't available anywhere else, and still just mostly waiting to this day... The original model is kind of worth it as a PSP replacement due to the super nice screen and the extra thumb stick (but the lackluster compatibility list of PSP games is infuriating to say the least... and PSOne games? think about this: neither Crash nor Spyro are compatible. Not a single one, unless you did one of the tricks to load them from the PS3 back when this thing first came out).

What the Vita needs is a good (NEW) God of War or Ratchet and Clank game. For the past year and a half, the only things getting released on the bloody thing are ports or ports. I don't want to play God of war 1 & 2 and the Sly Cooper collection AGAIN. How about Sly 4... Oh wait. We need more Killzone Mercenaries and Gravity Rushes; and since Sony has all but abandoned it, there's little hope for the Vita at this point

Thanks, we have similar tastes in games. My local target has Gravity Rush,soul sacrifice, and uncharted on clearance for around $10 each.
I might grab those before I even pick up a vita. And as much as I dont want borderlands 2 (already played it to death) the bundle seems like the better deal since it has the included memory card.
Gravity Rush and Wipeout were $4.48 at my Target. Sly Cooper Thieves in Time and PS All-Stars Battle were $8.98 (I had the Vita versions for free thanks to cross-buy). LBP and Uncharted were $11.98. They had other cheap vita Games too. I never got into LBP on my PSP or PS3, but I really enjoy the touch controls on the Vita version. It's a fantastic game.

Funny, they were all still in locked cases. I grabbed the last Wipeout.

Still about $75 too expensive for what the Vita has to offer (which isn't much to begin with, and is even less if you own any gaming device at all, and almost nothing if you are a PS3 / PS4 owner, although if you are a sony fanboy no amount of reasoning will be enough for you anyways).

It's a fine handheld, with a lackluster library (compared to what the DS, PSP and 3DS have to offer, although at least it does have access to an arbitrarily limited subset of the PSP library), a lot of indie ports, a handful of mediocre PS3 / PS4 ports thrown in, tacked-in, unnecessary features that most developers don't use unless held at gun point by sony and overpriced memory cards that you need but aren't included in the box (See below)

For those that might consider this "deal", you HAVE to get one of their overpriced, proprietary memory cards. They have slightly come down in price, but their prices are still moronically high, and you are limited to 32 GB (you can import a 64 GB from Japan for about ~100, which is a little over twice what something like it should be worth) so take that into account before you decide to invest any money into this sinking ship.

If you keep your expectations low it can be a decent handheld. I had pretty high expectations for it back when it came out and I picked my pre-order first thing in the morning just to wait forever for any good games that aren't available anywhere else, and still just mostly waiting to this day... The original model is kind of worth it as a PSP replacement due to the super nice screen and the extra thumb stick (but the lackluster compatibility list of PSP games is infuriating to say the least... and PSOne games? think about this: neither Crash nor Spyro are compatible. Not a single one, unless you did one of the tricks to load them from the PS3 back when this thing first came out).
Depends on what you like to play. If you like niche Japanese games, especially RPGs, there is no better current console for that than the Vita. That's what I have mine for.

Best Buy essentially stopped taking in Vita games, Target is clearance out a lot of their Vita games. I'm just reading the tea leaves,
Youve been reading them a long time because every vita thread you show up to shit out the same fire sale comment as if you actually have some insight or savvy when in reality youre just some dude on the internet that has some hardon for trying to dog the vita for some reason.

Reality is the vita isnt going anywhere. Every single sony system has had a 10+ year of healthy living and the vita is no exception because it caters to a good sized niche market with stuff no one else in america does.

Id say statistically speaking miss cleo has been right with her predictions more than you.

Youve been reading them a long time because every vita thread you show up to shit out the same fire sale comment as if you actually have some insight or savvy when in reality youre just some dude on the internet that has some hardon for trying to dog the vita for some reason.

Reality is the vita isnt going anywhere. Every single sony system has had a 10+ year of healthy living and the vita is no exception because it caters to a good sized niche market with stuff no one else in america does.

Id say statistically speaking miss cleo has been right with her predictions more than you.
Fanboi alert!

Please provide links to all the vita threads on here that I have posted about fire sales in.

Reality is the vita isnt going anywhere. Every single sony system has had a 10+ year of healthy living and the vita is no exception
By your standards Terri Schiavo was "healthy".

Actually, that's not fair, she showed more activity than Vita sales charts.

By your standards Terri Schiavo was "healthy".

Actually, that's not fair, she showed more activity than Vita sales charts.
Depends on if you are talking about hardware sales or software sales. Hardware sales are pretty stagnant from the sound of things, but Vita owners are pretty loyal to it and are still buying enough software so that more keep coming. I haven't counted, but I'm willing to bet that there are as many if not more Vita games scheduled for release in NA this year as there are 3DS games.

kingofpopcorn.gif

Depends on if you are talking about hardware sales or software sales. Hardware sales are pretty stagnant from the sound of things, but Vita owners are pretty loyal to it and are still buying enough software so that more keep coming. I haven't counted, but I'm willing to bet that there are as many if not more Vita games scheduled for release in NA this year as there are 3DS games.
Both, really. And sure, if you want niche Japanese games, the Vita is the place to be, but that's kinda all it has. Quantity isn't really a valid way of comparing the two, either, as while Vita might have more games, none of them would sell as well as a Pokemon or a Mario. There's also the point that the one Vita game that pretty much everyone can agree is great is just an enhanced port of a PS2 game. It's very definite shades of the PSP, and not in a good way.

That said, the Vita is a much better system than the PSP ever was, with a far better library, but it still pales in comparison to the 3DS. I bought one knowing what I was getting into (anime boobs galore) but if someone was expecting a varied library with lots of solid classics, they would be sorely disappointed.

Like it or not, the Vita is a failure. Maybe not on the scale of a Dreamcast or a Wii U, but Sony will likely never do another handheld. Its success in Japan alone is not worth it.

bread's done
Back