SoulCalibur IV - (10.17.08) - Vader/Yoda DLC set to release on 10/23 [400 points]

I liked weapon breaks in SB, it made me want to lose the weapon just to see how the character would fight....and makes more sense than this "armor"

[quote name='akilshohen']I liked weapon breaks in SB, it made me want to lose the weapon just to see how the character would fight....and makes more sense than this "armor"[/QUOTE]

agreed. there wee alot of good elements in SB that seemed to sadly disappear when SC was released.

I'd like to see weapon breaks make a return as well. Don't think it'll ever happen, though.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who liked the weapon breaks in Soul Blade. Everytime they announce a new game in the series I keep hoping they'll bring back weapon breaks.

[quote name='akilshohen']just as soon as the male/female ratio in a fighting game was about to equal, they go and announce two more males.[/quote]
Well, can always make some more of your own?

June 5, 2008 - New Star Wars Character Announced - Darth Vader's Secret Apprentice.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6192140.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;2

However, today Namco Bandai channeled Yoda with the announcement that "there is another." Both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game will feature the Secret Apprentice character from LucasArts' upcoming Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, allowing for proper lightsaber-on-lightsaber duels in a fighting game for the first time since 1997's original PlayStation game Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi.

1_1181180997_547_SecretApprentice.jpg

25670hw.png

yeah i'm late. sue me. the lakers were playing.

The thing that bothers me about this is not that he's another guest character or even that he's Star Wars, it's that he's Generic White Guy #10187510. But that's more of an issue with TFU's art team than Namco. blah blha complain

I think it's pretty sweet. Of course, maybe at this point namco should just make a real lightsaber fighting game. :p

And more OT, I switched to the PS3 LE version of the game. Man, I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. :p

they were reaching last time when they added link and the other characters. this is just lame. why not just make a 3d star wars fighting game id rather have luke vs vader or boba fett vs jango in bigger 3d environments.

[quote name='akilshohen']I think there's gonna be some more SW characters....[/quote]
Ugh, don't jinx it. Next thing you know Indiana Jones will be in the game, which I'll admit kinda fits better then SW character in a sense.

[quote name='lokizz']they were reaching last time when they added link and the other characters. this is just lame. why not just make a 3d star wars fighting game id rather have luke vs vader or boba fett vs jango in bigger 3d environments.[/QUOTE]

Don't have a problem with the additions since variety is the spice of life but i'm wondering if this is just some test run for a Star Wars game down the line using the Soul Calibur engine.

[quote name='bardockkun']Ugh, don't jinx it. Next thing you know Indiana Jones will be in the game, which I'll admit kinda fits better then SW character in a sense.[/quote]
What? Indy finds a stone that warps him to the past? lolz
There's gonna be a light force character to balance the apprentice from the new game, or some older SW characters. They need to balance it out.....or either some more surprise US guest characters.

Luke and Han Solo are gonna join the fight ;)

I had a thought, throw Nariko in there :D

C'mon, pull characters from other games then if they're gonna do this, not just SW!

Well considering that the only major difference between the PS3 and 360 versions is Yoda vs. Darth Vader, this makes the 360 a no brainer for me. Who needs Darth Vader AND his similar protege?

[quote name='coolsteel']Don't have a problem with the additions since variety is the spice of life but i'm wondering if this is just some test run for a Star Wars game down the line using the Soul Calibur engine.[/QUOTE]

They really should have just done that for this game. A Star Wars fighting game from the Soul Calibur team would sell like gangbusters.

It would get a lot of the SC series fans who like the gamplay, since they wouldn't be bitching about the characters not fitting in the SC universe and it would attract tons of Star Wars fans who game.

I'd see that selling a lot more than having an SC game with a few Star Wars characters.

[quote name='dmaul1114']They really should have just done that for this game. A Star Wars fighting game from the Soul Calibur team would sell like gangbusters.

It would get a lot of the SC series fans who like the gamplay, since they wouldn't be bitching about the characters not fitting in the SC universe and it would attract tons of Star Wars fans who game.

I'd see that selling a lot more than having an SC game with a few Star Wars characters.[/quote]

At this point why not? I think it would do just as well in Japan as it would in the States.

[quote name='akilshohen']What? Indy finds a stone that warps him to the past? lolz
There's gonna be a light force character to balance the apprentice from the new game, or some older SW characters. They need to balance it out.....or either some more surprise US guest characters.[/quote]
Worked with Heihachi finding a piece of the Soul Edge in SC2 so it can happen with Indy. Plus his finishing move would be his opponent would do some kinda flashy move and when they're done, Indy shoots them and that's it.

I'll still end up getting this for the PS3, as long as they fix the frame rate to run as smooth as the 360's. if they don't, then I'll just get the 360 version. I think I am just going to buy the regular edition though, unless the SE comes with something awesome.

[quote name='MarkMan']Can we get some Tekken characters added besides Yoshimitsu? :)[/QUOTE]

i'd like heihachi to make a return to be honest... he was one of my mains in SCII. A wooden Jack-IV would kick ass :lol:

June 6, 2008 - Rumor: Create your own Jedi/sith + 2 more Star Wars Characters?

http://www.psu.com/Rumor--SCIV-to-feature-SithJedi-character-creation-classes-News--a0003906-p0.php

According to a PSU source, Namco Bandai's Soul Calibur IV will feature not only Star Wars characters such as Darth Vader, Yoda, and Vader's secret apprentice, but will also include both Sith Lord and Jedi Knight character creation classes.

Although details are already scarce on the character creation options in Soul Calibur IV, we do know that choosing certain clothes or armor will affect how players behave in battle. Also, some pieces of equipment favor offensive and others defensive playstyles. It will be interesting if this rumor is true, as players will be able to not only create medieval looking characters but also their own lightsaber-wielding Sith warriors.

To take things one step further, we have also been told that Soul Calibur IV will feature up to five known characters from the Star Wars universe, including the 3 previously announced characters. Who will these other two characters be? Your guess is as good as ours, however, seeing as though the secret apprentice fights for the dark side, we expect one of the unannounced characters to be a Jedi.

June 6, 2008 - New Star Wars Character Announced - Darth Vader's Secret Apprentice.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Apprentice? Weak.

The other two should be the Emperor and Darth Maul.[/quote]
FINALLY a game that let's me beat up a crusty old man in a dress!

I kinda hope or prefer Indy now so he can shoot someone in the chest as a finishing move.

*EDIT* I think General Grievous and Maul if anything.

June 6, 2008 - 1up 10 Minute Video Preview

-Siegfried's 2p looks awesome.
-mitsurugi's 2p not so much.
-Hilde's unblockables look very quick, dangerous, and overpowered?
-Hilde's 2p i'm really liking
-Mitsurugi's 2p after armor being broken off: sexy
-Hilde's 2p after her armor being broken off: VERY NICE!
-No more soul charge
-No more jump horizontal attack.
-Back Guard Impact now throws opponent to the ground (metaly :applause:)
-Guard Impact now easier to do
-There are at least 5 people in that video who's ass i want to kick

Excited about this. I'll be showing off the game a bit earlier that it is released at San Diego Comic-Con hopefully.

If anyone is attending please stop by the SD TEKKEN gaming room. ;)

[quote name='sleepy180']-Guard Impact now throws opponent to the ground[/quote]

I have to admit I watched the video entirely because that freaked me out. It sounds like they said only the back guard impact is a knockdown, though, which is a relief. Fans of back-and-forth guard impacting, rejoice!

[quote name='MarkMan']Excited about this. I'll be showing off the game a bit earlier that it is released at San Diego Comic-Con hopefully.

If anyone is attending please stop by the SD TEKKEN gaming room. ;)[/quote]
Hey, when is this? I might try and make it

[quote name='kainzero']bah, this was not the apprentice i wanted in the game.

i wanted this one!
GetFile.aspx
[/quote]

You know what? YOU'RE FIRED!

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']i'd like heihachi to make a return to be honest... he was one of my mains in SCII. A wooden Jack-IV would kick ass :lol:[/quote]
what about an ancient mokujin? That would be cool.
Told you there were gonna be more SW characters. They need to keep the hype up over the month before the game comes out. My friend said that a DJ was talking about how crazy it was to have Yoda and Darth in the game on the radio.

argh... NO MORE STAR WARS CHARACTERS PLEASE!!!

Seriously, if they want to do a fighter game with star wars characters, then just make a masters of TK game.

June 7, 2008 - Four new Gameplay Movies

Wow now these vids are what i'm talking about. This game is looking so fantastic. So good it made me forget about the fucking star wars characters and anime characters. This is soul calibur straight up. I cannot wait for this game.

[quote name='sleepy180']June 7, 2008 - Four new Gameplay Movies

Wow now these vids are what i'm talking about. This game is looking so fantastic. So good it made me forget about the fucking star wars characters and anime characters. This is soul calibur straight up. I cannot wait for this game.[/quote]

I have to admit, the game play videos definitely helped peak my interest back into the game. I just wished they would of used some different characters, instead of the same 3-4 people. Still looked really well though.

[quote name='bardockkun']Worked with Heihachi finding a piece of the Soul Edge in SC2 so it can happen with Indy. Plus his finishing move would be his opponent would do some kinda flashy move and when they're done, Indy shoots them and that's it.[/QUOTE]

If anything Indy should be a downloadable character promoting the movie when it hits dvd.

I mean Ivy already has a whip in a sense and star wars characters are already here for some reason.

Can anyone explain this backward holding sword thing of the apprentice. I know they use that in anime and crap but is there any real martial arts basis to it. I would think you would lose too much leverage that way (if lightsabres had leverage).

I'm happy that they knock down now. GI was so glitchy in SC II and moreso in SC III. Color me glad!

I posted this in another thread:

After watching the 'lol' assessment of of Soul Calibur IV from the 1UP Show crew, I am much more excited about SCIV now.

I'd love to play the 1UP guys btw and just rape them to infinity and beyond and countertest either of their theories about the game system which they so intellectually respond to. ;)

I hope I'll be on their Tekken 6 segment if they have one in the future. ^_^

I could care less about weird characters, I want GAMEPLAY. That is all I care about. I don't care if it is broken again, as long as it is FUN for at least a short while. Something to hold me over.

I don't care about the graphics or music... Hell, I know I played SC III with the sound off while bumpin my own tunes in the background...

Also I'm sad that soul charge is gone, which would make me safely assume that soul charge cancel is gone too ;(

They didn't need to do that...

I hope all the A+B+G taunts can be cancelled at least. If not by motion but at least by ~G

Just found this while browsing amazon. Releases June 24, a month before the game comes out. It looks like its just the same DOA4 / Hori fighting stick EX 2 which i thought was pretty ok but hard as hell to mod. $60 and can preorder now. PS3 one is only $50.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox360-Fighting-Stick-EX-Calibur/dp/B0018OCJ5Q/ref=pd_bbs_sr_9?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1212876002&sr=8-9

http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-F...4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1212876002&sr=8-14

sc4arcadestickxk0.jpg

Its a decent stick and not a bad price. I might pick this up as a 2nd stick for when my friends without sticks come over. Although i'm wondering if sc4 would be better with an 8 button layout like the new hori real arcade pro ex thats coming for 360 soon.

hrapex360mj5.jpg

bread's done
Back