SoulCalibur IV - (10.17.08) - Vader/Yoda DLC set to release on 10/23 [400 points]

Oh good grief...those trailers are awesome. Can they possibly leak anything else to get me any more freaking excited for this game? All I need to hear now is that Vader will be dl-able on live after a while (i know he won't, but i can dream can't i?).

The FS3 was always $49.99.

Also it has the retarded button layout for the face buttons.

If I were to recc only one, I'd recc the 360 stick.

[quote name='Moxio']Who the hell cares about some stupid Star Wars apprentice?[/QUOTE]

-- raises hand--

I am, but I am A) a big SW fan and B) excited for SW:TFU.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']Can anyone explain this backward holding sword thing of the apprentice. I know they use that in anime and crap but is there any real martial arts basis to it. I would think you would lose too much leverage that way (if lightsabres had leverage).[/QUOTE]

Using a reverse grip isn't terribly common, since it tends to eliminate the primary advantage of holding a weapon in the first place, which is range, but you can generate a lot of power for some movements, like stabbing motions, that way; it's mostly seen in knife fighting rather than swordplay, but some of the Chinese broadsword forms quickly move in and out of a reverse grip. They don't stand around like that, but then again, they don't have the Force, either. :)

EDIT: I won't vouch for the legitimate applicability of some of this stuff, but there are some interesting youtube videos of people using a longsword/katana in reverse grip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw3u9no9rUM

Also, is it just me, or do those gametrailers movies make it seem like the game is closer to SC II speed, than SC III?

[quote name='trq']Using a reverse grip isn't terribly common, since it tends to eliminate the primary advantage of holding a weapon in the first place, which is range, but you can generate a lot of power for some movements, like stabbing motions, that way; it's mostly seen in knife fighting rather than swordplay, but some of the Chinese broadsword forms quickly move in and out of a reverse grip. They don't stand around like that, but then again, they don't have the Force, either. :)

EDIT: I won't vouch for the legitimate applicability of some of this stuff, but there are some interesting youtube videos of people using a longsword/katana in reverse grip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw3u9no9rUM

Also, is it just me, or do those gametrailers movies make it seem like the game is closer to SC II speed, than SC III?[/quote]

That video was pretty sweet.

I'm not a big fighter fan, and I don't know much about arcade sticks, but I think those 2 suck. Where's Vader and Yoda on those sticks? Come on!

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm not a big fighter fan, and I don't know much about arcade sticks, but I think those 2 suck. Where's Vader and Yoda on those sticks? Come on![/QUOTE]

um... actually it's better they're not on em... IMHO at least.

oddly the apprentice seems to fit in more the game than vader or yoda.

still pissed about no mission mode in XBLA SC :(

at least SCIV mission mode will be fun as always. I really like SCIII's mission mode even though it felt broken due to some missions being too damn easy.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Markman's right. These are decent.

This is sucky.[/QUOTE]

I always wanted to hook that thing up to all 3 systems and play as Link, Spawn, and Heihachi at the same time.

hax.jpg

I still don't know why we can't get a fuckin' HRAP on the 360 yet...

hopefully the PS3 version will be the one to go with so I can use my Tekken stick and don't have to get a HFS to last me a few months.

[quote name='Chacrana']I still don't know why we can't get a fuckin' HRAP on the 360 yet...

hopefully the PS3 version will be the one to go with so I can use my Tekken stick and don't have to get a HFS to last me a few months.[/quote]

Apparently the PS3 version doesn't run as smooth/fast as the 360 version. Nothing is final but that is one thing that was mentioned awhile back ago. I am hoping they get that worked out, since I want to get the PS3 version as well.

[quote name='Dark Slayer120']Apparently the PS3 version doesn't run as smooth/fast as the 360 version. Nothing is final but that is one thing that was mentioned awhile back ago. I am hoping they get that worked out, since I want to get the PS3 version as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I read that and it's pretty annoying that they haven't gotten the PS3 version up to speed yet. I don't want Yoda...

[quote name='Chacrana']oof, 120,000 yen. Well, if the PS3 version ends up being fucked, I'll probably suck it up and buy that since it's serious business.

And i slept yet.[/quote]

Serious bidness? ;)

Fighting is one of my favorite genres, and I have fond memories of Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast. I'm in for the PS3 version, I need to build up my ps3 library =P

I might get the game for the 360 unless the PS3 version ends up being alot better. I'll probably skip getting an arcade stick since I could never really get comfortable using and arcade stick... Then again I never really play many fighters in the arcade. I guess I could always try getting one if the price was alright.

yeah, I was at BB today and whatever version you pre-order it comes with a camera... I squished the box with my hand and it felt more like a shirt was in it instead of a calendar.

Man those new gameplay vids have me excited. The armor breaks are really cool. Now I just need to suck it up and buy an arcade stick.

I am going to guess on the last two Star Wars characters: Mara Jade and Darth Maul. Cause you need a female Star Wars character and Darth Maul is to awesome to not be in the game. Or if I can dream Tsavong Lah but I know that will never happen. I am still holding out hope for a Star Wars fighting game next year.

Have they confirmed whether or not Yoda or Darth Vader will be downloadable yet? It seems like a no brainer they would be, but I find the lack of information disturbing.

[quote name='Sulik2']Man those new gameplay vids have me excited. The armor breaks are really cool. Now I just need to suck it up and buy an arcade stick.

I am going to guess on the last two Star Wars characters: Mara Jade and Darth Maul. Cause you need a female Star Wars character and Darth Maul is to awesome to not be in the game. Or if I can dream Tsavong Lah but I know that will never happen. I am still holding out hope for a Star Wars fighting game next year.

Have they confirmed whether or not Yoda or Darth Vader will be downloadable yet? It seems like a no brainer they would be, but I find the lack of information disturbing.[/quote]
I think Mara Jade is too obscure for people, especially when they already got three characters holding single lightsabers. I still think General Grievous (4-5 lightsabers will make a damn original character) and Maul are sure fire bets.

I'm going to assume that they won't have any star wars characters from the books that aren't in videogames (like mara jade, who I think is Luke's wife or something).

[quote name='heavyd853']I'm going to assume that they won't have any star wars characters from the books that aren't in videogames (like mara jade, who I think is Luke's wife or something).[/quote]
Luke's assassin turned wife and then got knocked up.

Something on those lines...

I can't decide on which arcade stick to pick up. PS3 has more buttons and better artwork (I hate how Ivy's boobs are so dominate on the 360 stick) but I planned on picking the game up for the 360 originally.

Gah!

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Just out of curiosity why does the PS3 arcade stick have more buttons?[/quote]

It's not a brand new arcade stick, it is an old arcade stick model that was previously released and they're just putting nice SC IV images on it.

The EX2 and FS3 are pretty different on the outside. They look similar from a glance though.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']custom characters:

http://kotaku.com/5018524/soulcalibur-iv-character-customization-makes-afro-ninja-possible[/quote]

YES.

They already look great, and the clothes look much less generic than SC3's offerings. Hopefully the huge guy with the spiked club means that there will be different size options for characters, because I had a few characters in SC3 that ideally would have been bigger/smaller. Looking forward to rebuilding them in their proper sizes, plus in HD. I also hope they support this for a long time by offering new custom accessories for download. (Just please don't use the AC6 pricing model, Namco.)

bread's done
Back