SoulCalibur IV - (10.17.08) - Vader/Yoda DLC set to release on 10/23 [400 points]

I just hope the single player game is more playable than III. That AI was SO damned cheap I had to stop playing it for a long time. I still don't have everything unlocked to just play with friends due to that shitty AI.

Quick questions. Is it still confirmed that Vader and Yoda are exclusive to their respective consoles? It's kinda silly that they will never be able to fight each other though I suppose in the Star Wars universe it's the same way.

And where is Raphael? He was one of my favorites!!

Vader and Yoda are exclusive, but I guarantee they will be some sort of DLC that is on the disc.

I don't know how anyone thinks that the guest characters were unbalanced in SC2.

I think Soul Caliber is going the way of Mortal Kombat.

It used to be such a good franchise, until the money hats killed it.

[quote name='leveskikesko']I can't believe this is coming out next month!

I expected this to be released in 2009![/quote]

Its not.

Its coming out in June.

AKA Big ass month of games with MGS4, Ninja Gaiden 2, Guitar Hero: Aerosmith and I'm sure others that I can't think of. Hopefully it doesnt get lost in the fray like SC3.

the only thing i hate about the guest characters is system exclusives

it totally sucks for anyone who wants to hold a tournament because system exclusives are an auto ban already.

guest characters are all fun and stuff, as long as they play well. it's all good, ya'll reading too much into the story and everything.

it's about a freakin sword that people want for some reason
and the endings don't make that much sense anyway so who cares

[quote name='InuFaye']Vader and Yoda are exclusive, but I guarantee they will be some sort of DLC that is on the disc.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the devs as much as confirmed in both EGM and Game Informer that the other character will be available for download eventually, and that there might possibly be more Star Wars characters down the pipe as DLC.

[quote name='trq']Yes, the devs as much as confirmed in both EGM and Game Informer that the other character will be available for download eventually, and that there might possibly be more Star Wars characters down the pipe as DLC.[/quote]

WTF.

Honestly im over the fact that SW characters are in SCIV. Even the fact that they will eventually put obiwan and darth maul or some other characters into it down the pipe. Even though these 2 newest bonus characters look like complete f4gottry that doesnt fit the soul calibur cannon at all. Im over it all.

I've come to accept the fact that darth vader and yoda are going to be so incredible overused in online matches that they will rival ike and sonic in online SSBB matches. I've made peace with the fact that they added mortal kombat style fatalities to finish off opponents. I accepted long ago that this SC game is aimed at the casuals and not the hardcore community.

IM JUST PRAYING, that they dont fuck it up as bad as nintendo fucked up brawl when it comes to the competitive aspect. I just hope it plays well and is fun. I hope that its as balanced as SCII was and that it will rival the likes of SCII and SSBM in terms lasting apeal.

I WANNA PLAY THIS BITCH!

put fucking homer simpson and dora the explorer in here i dont give shit team soul at how far you can sellout. Just make it a good game!

April 15, 2008 - SCIV US Release Date Announced! July 29, 2008 with a Regular and Premium Release
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6189306.html?tag=latestnews;title;1

Soulcalibur IV represents a number of new frontiers for the venerable Namco Bandai fighting franchise. Fans are no doubt eagerly awaiting the chance to try out the first proper entry on the current generation of systems and see how it has been changed by the inclusion of online multiplayer, finishing moves, and high-profile cast additions like Darth Vader (for the PlayStation 3 edition) and Yoda (for the Xbox 360).

Now gamers as obsessed with Soulcalibur IV as the game's protagonists are with the titular sword can finally mark their calendars. Namco Bandai today confirmed a July 29 North American release date for the game, which will launch in regular and limited Premium Edition packages.

Customers who pick up the Premium Edition will get an

- art book/comic that serves as a prequel leading into the story of Soulcalibur IV
- a tournament kit
- exclusive access to "extra customization content."

Exactly what the tournament kit entails is unknown, but Namco Bandai said it would "give fans the opportunity to document the battle amongst friends." The Premium Edition will come in metal packaging and retail for $79.99.

April 15, 2008 - Gamespot Hands-on Gives New Pics and Info

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/...6189309&part=rss&tag=gs_previews&subj=6189309

...The combat system in this version of the game finally included some of the new content we'd heard about previously. The demo featured some new elements in the life-bar displays, which play into combat. The large gem at the end of each bar is the soul gauge and cycles through different color states based on your combat style. If you tend to block a lot, your gauge will eventually cycle to red and allow your opponent to perform a powerful guard-break attack. If your foe gets the timing right, he or she can follow up with another strong attack and actually break your armor. This new system is tracked by a small trio of green boxes under the life bars onscreen, which represent the condition of your armor: high, mid, and low.

From the look of it, once your armor is broken, that's how it stays for the rest of your match. Fortunately, your armor is back when you take on a new fighter. When your armor is broken, your fighter will reflect the loss in his or her appearance, and you'll obviously take a bit more damage. The more controversial new addition to the mix is the critical finishers, which are tied to armor loss. At the moment, once you've broken at least one section of your opponent's armor, you can knock him or her around again to get his or her soul gauge back to red. Then, you'll have a small window of time to trigger the critical finisher by pressing all four face buttons on the controller at the same time. If you've timed it right, you'll be treated to a short cinematic sequence that's unique to each fighter, wherein fighters will lay the smack down on their opponents and end the match, regardless of the recipient's health. We have mixed feelings about this addition, although we have to say it will ensure people stay on their toes during a match.

94004720080415screen003zp1.jpg

94004720080415screen004qu0.jpg

94004720080415screen017pt9.jpg

94004720080415screen011tu5.jpg

94004720080415screen025bs5.jpg

94004720080415screen024bx0.jpg

I cant believe how ridiculously out of place angol looks. It looks like she just came straight out of a naruto game or something. Ohwell. July 29th baby! And about the armor breaks, it says that the armor could fall off and stay off for the remainder of the match...

*waits to slash off ivy's string bikini thing she is wearing* :drool:

The fuck... thought this was out in June. Oh well, whatever.

Angol looks stupid. Dunno how good this game is even gonna be anymore... and if it's worth caring with stuff like Sengoku Basara X and KOF 98 Ultimate Bout in June...

looks amazing, but that finisher stuff sounds like it has a chance at being shitty. also, how the hell can ivy lose more armor? she's pretty much not wearing any.

rofl

It's like Namco is trying to see how shitty they can make Soul Calibur IV and have people still buy it.

I can just see it now... "Hey, wait, people LIKE Star Wars characters in SC 4 for no reason? Shit! Hm... let's have the armor break off! No, wait, let's make it so that when your armor is broken, you can straight up lose the match by just pressing all the face buttons! Yea!!!"

Next they will announce that weapons will break as well, and then they'll make an achievement about it - "Defeat your opponent with NOTHING - 10g".

I actually liked the weapon breaking in Soul Edge/Blade...

But yeah, finishers suck ass. It better be hard as hell to get someone in the state where you can use one.

[quote name='sleepy180']
I've come to accept the fact that darth vader and yoda are going to be so incredible overused in online matches that they will rival ike and sonic in online SSBB matches. I've made peace with the fact that they added mortal kombat style fatalities to finish off opponents. I accepted long ago that this SC game is aimed at the casuals and not the hardcore community.

IM JUST PRAYING, that they dont fuck it up as bad as nintendo fucked up brawl when it comes to the competitive aspect. I just hope it plays well and is fun. I hope that its as balanced as SCII was and that it will rival the likes of SCII and SSBM in terms lasting apeal.
[/QUOTE]

I don't know about Sonic, but it's readily accepted by the SSBB crowd that Ike is barely useful competitively, and the only reason he's used online so much is that lag facilitates him very well since he's so powerful.

But you are just kidding yourself if you think it's no longer a competitive game. I'm not even one of the tourney types and even I can tell it's much more balanced than Melee ever was. The Smash Balls - or as you call them, fatalities - can be disabled easily.

You're just blowing steam for no reason.

As for SCIV, I liked the series better when all the characters made sense. Sure, they were doing superhuman acrobatics and taking tons of hits from deadly weaponry and stuff, but everything still had a shred of sensibility to it since you could identify honest fighting styles and time periods that they came from (hence all the "stage of history" stuff). It made it really compelling and infused the characters with sincere honesty.

Now Namco is just putting in any character submitted by any artist. I guess I'll look into this further when it comes out, but right now the game just looks embarassing.

How thy mighty have fallen.

Soul Calibur 4 is like one of those hot women that are really attracted to you, and then you get the surprise later.

Soul Calibur 4 first announced....Its like you just got her in the bedroom.

Uncanney look in all charaters are noticed...she takes off part of her clothes and she has a huge scar..whatever you can deal.

Star Wars characters shown....its like you find out she has stretch marks all over the place, and a lazy eye.

New Finisher System, and guard system are shown......you find out she is a tranny........SURPRISE....

fuck Namco.

why is everyone so worried?

guilty gear anyone?

hey remember that one tournament where they won with an IK? no? exactly. =)

everything about this actually screams guilty gear.

I can't imagine that finishers will be too common. It sounds like first you need to be fighting someone who's blocking all the time, then guard crush them, then connect with some armor break move. Then guard crush them again, THEN connect with the finisher? Meanwhile there's still Soulcalibur going on during all of that. Maybe it could be abused if you take out their armor really early and there are a few rounds to go, but I'll wait for more details and to see how they've tuned it.

It still offends me less than Angol Fear.

And that "extra customization content" in the CE better be unlockable or something. I loved the character creation in SC3 but I'm getting tired of every big game now having a special edition.

[quote name='kainzero']why is everyone so worried?

guilty gear anyone?

hey remember that one tournament where they won with an IK? no? exactly. =)

everything about this actually screams guilty gear.[/quote]

It takes more skill to pull off an IK in GG...

More then PRESS ALL 4 FACE BUTTONS YOU IGDIT!

[quote name='metaly']
And that "extra customization content" in the CE better be unlockable or something. I loved the character creation in SC3 but I'm getting tired of every big game now having a special edition.[/QUOTE]

oddly, that pisses me off the most.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']oddly, that pisses me off the most.[/quote]

Don't worry Namco will make sure you have plenty of DLC you can buy that is locked on the disc.

Sorry If I seem down on this game, but SC1 is probably one of the best fighting games ever, and it seems like they have just gone downhill from that.

It is just extreme disappointment in me.

I don't really see any sense in bitching about a game we haven't seen an actual match from for more than 15 seconds or so, but I can totally understand the gripes about the characters and stuff(even if I don't share most of them). However, the "extra customization" stuff in the LE seems a bit overboard, but I hope I'm just being paranoid.

I'm totally going to buy the LE anyways though.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']oddly, that pisses me off the most.[/QUOTE]

How else would they get people to buy their $80 game?

I swear that we're just a test market for the next next gen... we're going to see $70 and $80 games no problem, since so many people seem to buy them now.

[quote name='InuFaye']It takes more skill to pull off an IK in GG...

More then PRESS ALL 4 FACE BUTTONS YOU IGDIT![/quote]
what is it in GG?
press all 4 face buttons to activate IK mode, then 236236+HS? not much of a difference. if you're going to say that "it's really hard to time," we don't know anything about SC4 and i doubt they'd make it super easy.

also, the guard system is taken out of GG XX. if you block too much, you have a meter that builds up, and when it reaches the max you get guard broken. when it rises, they also do more damage against you.

hey, something sounds familiar!

only, there are no crazy projectile traps or Eddie in SC so i bet guard breaks won't happen at all. step your GI game up!

Hey now! What about us unsightly(I don't think that works there, but you get my drift!) large Americans who aren't fat!

I don't think a small t-shirt would even reach my stomache.

They were giving out these great SSF2T HD shirts at Capcom the other day, but they were XXL. I mean, seriously.

I'm not telling how long I considered putting on some weight.

[quote name='metaly']They were giving out these great SSF2T HD shirts at Capcom the other day, but they were XXL. I mean, seriously.

I'm not telling how long I considered putting on some weight.[/quote]
Make it a pajama shirt or something. Hell, if it's free just take it.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']:lol: I hate XL shirts!!!!

does any promo ever come with small size? yeah america is fat, but at least give us some choices.[/QUOTE]
Are you like 4 feet tall? I'm not fat, but anything but XL is just too short.

Someone mentioned MGS4's LE being $85. It comes with the IMPORT soundtrack which is like 2 discs, contains over 40 tracks, and seperately will run you about $40 just to import.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Are you like 4 feet tall? I'm not fat, but anything but XL is just too short.[/quote]
are you serious?
i'm about 5'9, 5'10 and i wear medium.

shirt looks cool but i don't wear videogame t-shirts anyway.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']:lol: I hate XL shirts!!!!

does any promo ever come with small size? yeah america is fat, but at least give us some choices.[/QUOTE]

yeah I agree...

I wish they had 3X

[quote name='kainzero']are you serious?
i'm about 5'9, 5'10 and i wear medium.
[/QUOTE]

Same here. Used to wear large and extra large back when I was into baggy clothes. Being older, I prefer clothes that fit properly now, so medium a lot of the time and large in some shirts that are made a bit small.

No videogame shirts here either.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Are you like 4 feet tall? I'm not fat, but anything but XL is just too short.

Someone mentioned MGS4's LE being $85. It comes with the IMPORT soundtrack which is like 2 discs, contains over 40 tracks, and seperately will run you about $40 just to import.[/QUOTE]

I'm a skinny fuck, so Small sized shirt fit perfectly.

[quote name='akilshohen']Why are people calling super finishers a fatality? A fatality was done after you actually won the match.[/quote]

Because this is exactly the same as the fatal finishing system of Time Killers.

i don't remember which games it's in (although I know it's in soul blade) but i used to throw people after i beat them and the game would play the throw all the way through =) that was my version of a finisher.

Soul Calibur IV is gonna average a 95% on gamerankings and be held as pure ownage.

I kid. I kid.

I'm still buying it, but the LE? ehh too pricey.

If Ivy wasn't in this game or something, it would be so easy to say no.
I'll probably get the game (scratch that, I WILL get the game), but I'll probably wait till it hits $40 or something.

The original Soul Calibur is going to be brought to XBLA in HD!!! Here's the quote from Destrutoid. Unfortunately, no release date was given.

Soul Calibur on Xbox Live Arcade will be presented in all its original glory, and then some. Not only will we get every mode from the Dreamcast version, there will also be online leaderboards and get this -- the entire game will be in high-definition.
http://www.destructoid.com/calling-...-calibur-to-hit-live-arcade-in-hd-81952.phtml
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52254

Edit: oops, i didn't see the other thread about it

I'll prolly pass on the SCIV CE. Why is it that CE's are getting more expensive? Have people shown a willingness to pay even more for a game? Just wait for the X720 and PS4, when regular games are $69.99 and the CE's are $99.99.

bread's done
Back