SoulCalibur IV - (10.17.08) - Vader/Yoda DLC set to release on 10/23 [400 points]

Wow.

Erm, anyone else notice that the both Limited Editions of Soul Calibur 4 are gone from Gamestop.com? Isn't that a bit odd?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vinny']I don't understand that either. I knocked off all the armor off and the orb thing (whatever it's called) was red- meaning I could do the move but when I pressed all 4 buttons it wouldn't work. I also tried the shortcut button (R1?) that pressed all 4, and that didn't work either.
[/quote]

I read that once the red orb is flashing, I'm pretty sure you have to perform a guard breaking move (some strong attack while they're blocking). After breaking their guard, then you hit all attack buttons.

[quote name='Vinny']This might explain why... seems like the PS3 PE is the majority seller of all SCIV versions on Amazon. It could also resonate through the other versions as well.
http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-167974.aspx[/quote]
:/

I hope more come in stock, I wanted to pick it up. I got lots o' credit

[quote name='GuardianE']Erm, anyone else notice that the both Limited Editions of Soul Calibur 4 are gone from Gamestop.com? Isn't that a bit odd?[/quote]

Yea I noticed that too, so I'm a little bummed

[quote name='KingBroly']So what's so special about the Limited Editions? They're just codes in there.[/quote]

tin case, t-shirt, artbook and codes.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']:/

I hope more come in stock, I wanted to pick it up. I got lots o' credit

Yea I noticed that too, so I'm a little bummed[/quote]

There's always BestBuy, who's apparently selling them for $70. You won't be able to use your credit, but at least people have confirmed they're there.

I also hear BBV will be getting a shipment at some point. Call Gamestops around your area. I'm sure one of them has a copy you can ask them to hold it for you.

Waiting for my Gamfly copy to come in. I'll probably get it tomorrow but praying I get it today.

So I just popped in SCIII as a refresher and I forgot about all the crazy characters I made. Some of my favorites were Kayin from Battle Arena Toshinden, Solid Snake, Longshot from the X-Men & Captain Jean-Luc Picard.

[quote name='LiK']tin case, t-shirt, artbook and codes.[/quote]

And this is why I hate most limited edition packages.

[quote name='KingBroly']And this is why I hate most limited edition packages.[/quote]

hehe, well, the regular game case is inside the tin case from what i read so far. i'll confirm when i get my copy later today.

[quote name='KingBroly']And this is why I hate most limited edition packages.[/quote]

I read in another thread that the Limited Edition has the regular case inside of the tin.

Yep, regular case inside tin.

PS3 codes are now working. I can confirm it is indeed a schoolgirl+maid outfit for ladies and suit+school uniform for the men. It also unlocked the Honors "got soul calibur (final form)" "got soul edge (final form)".

[quote name='Magentis']Yep, regular case inside tin.

PS3 codes are now working. I can confirm it is indeed a schoolgirl/maid outfit for ladies and suit/school uniform for the men. It also unlocked the Honors "got soul calibur (final form)" "got soul edge (final form)".[/quote]

Kay, that settles it. I'm absolutely happy with the Limited Edition. Thanks for the info. :cool:

Well now maybe my code will work. It started to download then just stopped at 56k and then it was just telling me it was not a valid code.

If anyone wants a good Soul Calibur chat room, jump on IRC on efnet servers.. #soulcalibur ... Lots of players come in and out of there and discuss strats/game stuff.

I think this is the best easter egg ever...

Looking through both versions of Soul Calibur IV... reading the manual.

The PS3 one has ads for Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. The 360 one has ads for Soul Calibur on XBLA, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, AND a $1 off coupon for Church's Chicken!

360 version superior confirmed!

[quote name='Magentis']Yep, regular case inside tin.

PS3 codes are now working. I can confirm it is indeed a schoolgirl+maid outfit for ladies and suit+school uniform for the men. It also unlocked the Honors "got soul calibur (final form)" "got soul edge (final form)".[/quote]

Alright so if it's just extra clothing, and you just what unlock the Soul weapons early or is this the only way to get them?

Also can anyone else confirm if the 360 version is the same or what not. Just trying to decide if the LE is worth it before I head out to buy it.

Not sure how exclusive the stuff is, but the back of the Limited Edition box reads:

Exclusive downloadable character creation content not sold anywhere else in the US!

This could obviously mean anything... like maybe it's already available in Japan and Europe. :p

[quote name='dabebop']Alright so if it's just extra clothing, and you just what unlock the Soul weapons early or is this the only way to get them?

Also can anyone else confirm if the 360 version is the same or what not. Just trying to decide if the LE is worth it before I head out to buy it.[/quote]

Yes they're exactly the same. I just opened them.

If you really want to get technical, you get a green themed download trading card w/ your DLC code in the 360 one and a Yoda shirt as opposed to a black themed card in the PS3 one w/ the Vader shirt.

The actual tin, tourney bracket poster, mini marker and DC Comics' Mini-Comic/Artbook are exactly the same in both versions.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Argh. The 16 MB update on the PS3 is taking too long.
Then I have to wait for a 2 gig install.
Grr.[/quote]

Ahh you got to it before I did. The 16 MB update was a breeze, but this install has been going on for 6 min now and it's at 45%. So I guess it'll be like a 15 min install?

[quote name='GuardianE']Not sure how exclusive the stuff is, but the back of the Limited Edition box reads:

Exclusive downloadable character creation content not sold anywhere else in the US!

This could obviously mean anything... like maybe it's already available in Japan and Europe. :p[/quote]

That means it won't be available in stores. The internet is technically not in any country, therefore, not exclusive to the LE.

mainly been playing the tower... I'm taking a break since I've been playing 8 hours straight non-stop.

so far my mains in SCIII seemed to have changed quite a bit in terms of play style. I'm going to have to re-sit down with Tira and Lizardman.

Is there any indication that the weapons exclusive to the LE are balanced out enough against the people that got the regular edition??? Thats my only concern

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Wow, Apprentice is a beast...[/quote]

No fucking shit! I spent 10-15 mins with Vader against him and got my ass whooped!!!!

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']mainly been playing the tower... I'm taking a break since I've been playing 8 hours straight non-stop.[/quote]

I'm sure, you're the only one on my PS3 Friends List that has a ranking on anything lol

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Is there any indication that the weapons exclusive to the LE are balanced out enough against the people that got the regular edition??? Thats my only concern[/QUOTE]

There are no new weapons in the LE, it just gives you a free unlocking of everyone's best weapons.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Wow, Apprentice is a beast...[/QUOTE]

Indeed. Especially when you're trying to learn a new character like I was with Hilde. Whew. But, it was good practice.

ehhh Algol wasn't as hard as I thought he'd be. I was hoping for something crazy and cheap. And of all people, I fucked him up with Astaroth.

RE: RUMBLE SUPPORT X360 vs. PS3

First off, let me apologize for not scrolling through 72+ pages of posts as I usually would have. I am pretty much in need to make a purchase decision within a few minutes and have the need for you guys to clear up as follows:

I even called some EBGames stores / GameCrazy and they CONTRADICT each other. I've heard stories that NEITHER version rumbles and likewise heard BOTH rumble. I shouldn't be so hard to get to the bottom of it. Obviously I have the rumbling PS3 controller.

Aside from the rumble I am generally still torn btwn. versions as I own both consoles. I don't per-se care about the lack of achievements nor the character limitation. How would you judge it based strictly on overall fluency of the game/responsiveness etc.
Again I realize this may have been posted - I just need to run out and get either of the versions and I trust my fellow CAGers more than GS/EB employees.

peaceout
REWN

[quote name='GuardianE']I mean, we are cheapassgamers after all. Games are expensive when released and it makes sense to want to wait for a title to go down in price if you aren't an ardent fan of the genre.

However, that doesn't mean that an entire genre should be valued less than any other. That's what bothers me about people saying that. You didn't say that you thought 60 bucks was way too much for Soul Calibur 4. You said that $60 was way too much for a fighting game.

I think sports games are crap. That doesn't mean they shouldn't come out at $60 like every other game. I think the most Marvel games today are crap. But they come out at regular price like everything else. I'm sure someone out there loves the Fantastic Four game... maybe... possibly...

... okay, maybe not.[/quote]

I didn't say fighting games should be cheaper because they are crap... And I also believe sports games should be cheaper (which they are).

[quote name='rewn']RE: RUMBLE SUPPORT X360 vs. PS3

First off, let me apologize for not scrolling through 72+ pages of posts as I usually would have. I am pretty much in need to make a purchase decision within a few minutes and have the need for you guys to clear up as follows:

I even called some EBGames stores / GameCrazy and they CONTRADICT each other. I've heard stories that NEITHER version rumbles and likewise heard BOTH rumble. I shouldn't be so hard to get to the bottom of it. Obviously I have the rumbling PS3 controller.

Aside from the rumble I am generally still torn btwn. versions as I own both consoles. I don't per-se care about the lack of achievements nor the character limitation. How would you judge it based strictly on overall fluency of the game/responsiveness etc.
Again I realize this may have been posted - I just need to run out and get either of the versions and I trust my fellow CAGers more than GS/EB employees.

peaceout
REWN[/quote]

they do don't rumble

[quote name='rewn']RE: RUMBLE SUPPORT X360 vs. PS3

peaceout
REWN[/quote]

No offense, but a rumble feature is something that should never influence buying any game

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I didn't say fighting games should be cheaper because they are crap... And I also believe sports games should be cheaper (which they are).[/quote]

Sports games aren't cheaper. Just take a look at what the newest Madden games goes for new when it comes out the 12th. The only time they are cheaper is when a year later and can be had for like 30 bucks less used. I don't disagree that they should be cheaper by a long shot. Hell one reason why I've never bothered with them is because of that fact. Plus, since I've always noticed that there are more different button layouts for whatever is going on than any RPG I've ever seen in my 15+ years of gaming....

so how do you unlock the Apprentice? Also I called about my code not working. They for the most part told me i'm SOL. So looks like the DLC that came with this game I wont get even though I bought it thanks to the download crashing when it was half way done. To everyone else make sure that file does not get deleted or else you chances are will not be able to redownload it.

[quote name='sendme']so how do you unlock the Apprentice? Also I called about my code not working. They for the most part told me i'm SOL. So looks like the DLC that came with this game I wont get even though I bought it thanks to the download crashing when it was half way done. To everyone else make sure that file does not get deleted or else you chances are will not be able to redownload it.[/quote]

If it gets deleted in the middle of downloading, it should still appear as a downloaded file in either store (PS Store under Downloads or XBLM under Account Management). The Apprentice unlocks by beating him with Yoda/Vader on Arcade.

Also, I've made a decision:

0729082159.jpg

After playing it on and off (more on than off) for the past 5-6 hours, and the fact the wireless connection I'm getting from my ex's friends DSL is total SHYTE, I think I'm gonna call it a night for SC4 and watch some SVU...

Is there a reason to beat the arcade mode other than to get Apprentice? Like, can I unlock other stuff by playing through the arcade mode with other characters?

I've only beaten the story mode with a few characters... haven't really had a chance to play it.

And have they said anything about if there will be DLC outside of what the PE people get?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I didn't say fighting games should be cheaper because they are crap... And I also believe sports games should be cheaper (which they are).[/quote]

I know a few sports games that are cheaper (and those anomalies are in every genre), but the majority are released at $60. Madden, NCAA, FIFA.

You may not have said that fighting games are crap (I used sports as an extreme example that I hate to prove my point), but you implied that fighting games have less value by saying they shouldn't be the same price as every other game- basically saying that they aren't worth the same as another genre.

A racing game may have zero value to me, but to the right people it can be one of the best games in their library. Fighting games aren't shallow like many people seem to think they are. A good fighter can be just as deep as a shooter or RPG, as long as you know what to look for. I don't mean to be picking on you, I just think it's odd that I've heard this opinion a couple of times on this board and it seems entirely unjustified.

Oh! And I just played for about 5 hours straight and I'd play more if I didn't have work to do. It's great. I know I'll be spending days just creating characters. I was reading above about the rumble feature and I know that it's not on the PS3. Does anyone have confirmation that the 360 version does/doesn't rumble? I figured that it would.

Been playing mainly as Cassandra, since she's been my main since SC2. Still getting used to some of the combo changes they made. Also I think I'm going to try and up my Tira skills some more. So if you play me online I'll probably be using Tira in a mediocre way as I try and improve with her.

bread's done
Back