Splatoon Discussion Thread

I definately noticed the unbalancedness in regards to skill as well. I guess a bunch of summer noobs and or nongamers came back or just got the game. I say I'm average. I typically score 900-1200 on a loss with aero - 600-1000 with jr. I don't recall getting 4+ splats that often in turf war with aero.
The game always pairs you with people of equal skill, but it's based off the last time they've played that specific battle mode I've noticed. I've played mostly rank battle since it came out, using turf war only to try out new weapons or just when I feel like. Everytime I change from a weapon I suck with and one I'm good with I tend to dominate and I think it's because I'm matched up with people who are of lower skill level from the last time I played.
During splatfest, there was no ranked battle so everyone who usually plays that was playing turf war instead. I think that's why some matches were so one sided (I spawned camp with my team numerous times, it was insane). Just my theory though.

eb404cb29ca7376892a26e98b3e836e5.jpg

New map drops tonight!!!!!

00338be952f44559e93a2f21f4255069.jpg

Rollercoasters rock.

How did Splatfest run this time around?  Last time it took around 4 hours during the mid afternoon to hit King rank with nearly aa hours spent waitingi n lobby/dcing/erroring.

I had planned to play during Slpatfest and pick Roller Coasters (which i expected to be more popular and win).  At around 11:40 PM EDT, I realized the Splatfest would be ending at midnight, not 3am like last time :bomb: 

I then read that the seasnails had to be picked up within a week!  So not only didi  miss this Splatfest, I lost out on the seasnials from last time!  Oh well.  I'm at rank 18 still I thnk.  Hopfeully more modes will be added to casual in the August update so I can get comfortable without getting destroyed in ranked right away.

Gamer SPD, for me it ran perfectly fine outside of one occasion where my internet went down (not the game's fault). Never waited more than 20 sec in a lobby. I played in many different times of the day.

I got a few joining errors each time I turned on the game and entered the lobby during the day, but they went away quickly and never reappeared. All in all, I'd say it ran better since I didn't see many one sided matches this time (only a couple).

Also, Gamer: I think splatfest is the best form of training for ranked battle since all the ranked players will be playing alongside weaker players. It gives you a lot of great practice at aiming while moving, and whatnot. At least, this is my experience.
After the last splatfest I went from B+ to A+ in ranked finally.

haha, Actually, we were both wrong. Waterslides were more popular, but Rollercoasters won more matches.
I was pretty shocked to see Water Slides were more popular, the moment I read that in game I knew our team was going to lose haha.
I didn't care much though, I knew Roller Coasters would win. I just really hate roller coasters so I couldn't bring myself to pick that team lol...

Also, Gamer: I think splatfest is the best form of training for ranked battle since all the ranked players will be playing alongside weaker players. It gives you a lot of great practice at aiming while moving, and whatnot. At least, this is my experience.
After the last splatfest I went from B+ to A+ in ranked finally.
i just have used the jr and aero. the few times It ried ranked, neither really seemed good unless the map was smalls o I wouldnt' gets niped by chargers. I just haven't had time to play around with other weapon types

Any benefits to getting all the scrolls? I got the main one I wanted the golden roller blue print. Just curious if I should go back and get all the scrolls if anything else interesting in MP unlocks.

[quote name="blume3" post="12826269" timestamp="1437780569"]Any benefits to getting all the scrolls? I got the main one I wanted the golden roller blue print. Just curious if I should go back and get all the scrolls if anything else interesting in MP unlocks.[/quote]The scrolls unlock weapon blueprints.

On 6th August (August 5 for the US), a free software update for Splatoon on Wii U brings a large amount of new content to the game, including two new matchmaking modes, new weapon types, an increase to the game’s level-cap and more than 40 pieces of new gear. Players will now be able to create a winning strategy and fight to be the best and most battle tested squid-squad around.

The new update introduces Squad Battle and Private Battle matchmaking options. In Squad Battle, players can participate in Ranked Battle rule sets with friends, rather than being teamed up with other players through a random selection. After a player creates a squad, friends can be recruited to form a team of two to four Inklings. Friends will always play together on the same team and battle against other squads at random.

In Private Battle, friends can splat it up in private, customisable matches. Two to eight friends can battle together by selecting their favourite map, mode and weapons. The number of participants ranges from 1v1 to 4v4, but teams don’t have to be even: if the host chooses, he or she can select a 1v4, 1v2, or any other combination of players.

With this robust new update also comes an increased level cap in both Regular Battle and Ranked Battle modes. After downloading the software update, players will be able to reach level 50 (raised from level 20) and rank S and S+ in Ranked Battle (both higher than A+).
While Inklings around the world are enjoying and mastering the current arsenal of weapons in Splatoon, two new weapon types will be available with the update, adding a new layer of strategy to the game. The bucket-like Slosher weapons hurl ink straight ahead at an impressive range. By adjusting the angle, these new weapons can be used to splat opponents who are up high or even on the other side of a wall. With the Gatling-style Splatling, players can charge all-powerful ink. A maximum charge unleashes the full potential of this particular weapon type. In addition to the new weapons, more than 40 pieces of gear, including everything from a leather jacket to a sushi-chef costume are coming to the various in-game shops in Splatoon.

Despite its size and scope, this massive August update is not the end of the splat-tacular free content coming to Splatoon. Following this update, more content will continually roll out through the rest of the summer and into autumn, including the Rainmaker Ranked Battle mode, additional maps and new weapons. More details on these additions will be revealed in the future.
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2015/July/Ink-tastic-new-content-coming-to-Splatoon-with-a-major-update-releasing-on-6th-August-1037221.html?utm_medium=Nintendo+of+Europe&utm_source=twitter

CMM_WiiU_Splatoon_August2015_Coordinate_CMM_Standard_propn.jpg

CMM_WiiU_SplatoonAugust2015_Slosher_CMM_Standard_propn.jpg

CMM_WiiU_Splatoon_August2015_Spinner_CMM_Standard_propn.jpg

CMM_WiiU_Splatoon_August2015_Lvl50_CMM_Standard_propn.jpg

CMM_WiiU_Splatoon_August2015_Private_CMM_Standard_propn.jpg

CMM_WiiU_Splatoon_August2015_Squad_CMM_Standard_propn.jpg

THE HYPE IS REAL!!!

does anyone know if game save is shared across all nnids on the wii u?  also how do amiibo unlocks work as in will the amiibo need to be scanned each time (r like dlc and tied to nnid/console?

does anyone know if game save is shared across all nnids on the wii u? also how do amiibo unlocks work as in will the amiibo need to be scanned each time (r like dlc and tied to nnid/console?
I'm not sure if the game save is shared across all your profiles. About the amiibo, you need to tap the amiibo if you want to play the challenges that amiibo provides. However, the gear and stuff you unlock with them is saved onto the Wii U's memory, not the amiibo itself, so you can use the content you unlocked by completing the challenges without having to tap it.

I'm not sure if the game save is shared across all your profiles. About the amiibo, you need to tap the amiibo if you want to play the challenges that amiibo provides. However, the gear and stuff you unlock with them is saved onto the Wii U's memory, not the amiibo itself, so you can use the content you unlocked by completing the challenges without having to tap it.
I'll try to check tonight. the amiibo question is in regards to how dlc on xbl/psn "work". the xbl/psn account has the license as well as the actual console so other accounts can use the content.

I made it to the highest cap level (A+ 99) today just before the update. Now that they've changed how everything works I don't know how long my score will last...
I'm the kind of player who dies a lot but gets the job done. This new point system is horrible for my play style lol. I'm also not too keen about the map changes (I mean all of them, not just Urchin Underpass).

Still love the game though. Just not thrilled with some parts of the update.
The new weapons are a lot of fun, and I actually like some of the new clothes as well.

I like all the new map changes (well, I've only played Urchin and Skatepark so far but whatever).

The bucket is pure awesomeness and I feel it's one of my favorites already. Didn't get to see the new gear, however.

I can't comment about the new point system cause I didn't try ranked battles.

I think this update made the game feel way too FRESH, which isn't bad in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rainmaker mode coming tomorrow

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/631827601196216320

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W36dJbtsvf4

splatoon-rainmaker-2-656x369.jpg

So, how does everyone feel about rainmaker mode?
At first, I didn't love it much. It's a great mode, but its hard for even higher ranks to actually work as a team. You really need to for that mode. When people got use to it, I liked it more. Matches weren't so one sided.
Now, I don't know how to feel about it. It's a lot of fun, & it's great for teaching players to finally work as a team. However, people are being real dicks in the mode. Holding the rainmaker in impossible to reach spots when one team has the closest score so the other team doesn't have a chance (like all the way in the back of saltspray rig). One time, my team got what they deserved when they decided to do that on Moray Towers. They held the rainmaker right on the path to our base, the other team killed them & took the lead.

I hope the developers find a way to fix this problem. It's pretty annoying, but especially so on the rig.

America always gets the best Splatfest themes. Their next one will be Arts vs Science. I'm in Europe, so I'll have to make do with Neat vs Tidy :(

Does anybody want to do a squid sqaud? I'm on right now. my id is blackitty. Or sometime tomorrow or whenever somebody is availble to play.

[quote name="rocky435" post="13038653" timestamp="1447911116"]Does anybody want to do a squid sqaud? I'm on right now. my id is blackitty. Or sometime tomorrow or whenever somebody is availble to play.[/quote]
I would love to play, but my internet has been crap the last few days. My NNID is Roytherobot.

BTW, I love Rocky haha. Super excited for CREED.

I've been playing Splatoon since I got it on Thursday, and wow I did not imagine being this interested in a shooting game. I'll play with anyone who wants me to!
Edit, I haven't decided if I'm joining burgers or pizza for the splatfest :eek:

Is there a decent amount of people playing? Very interested in this game.
Yep. I always find a match in a matter of seconds. It's the most active online game on the Wii U and I would say, even one of the most in any console right now.

Nintendo sends small free updates almost every week with a new weapon or map so that it continues to be fresh and active.

I bought Splatoon on Black Friday.  Have really picked it up quite a bit in the last couple weeks.

I've shown five friends the game.  (Three of them are gamers.)  The three of them really, really enjoyed the game.  The two non-games sat and watched us play for a couple hours.  Although they won't play, they did enjoy watching the game.

I'm loving it so far.  I'm really trying to finish all single-player stuff before really jumping into the online.  I'm a Level 9 right now, so, no Ranked for me.  

Hoping to finish up all single-player this week and then really get at it.

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend completing single-player mode first to get a better feel for the gameplay. Make sure you collect as many scrolls as you can.

There's a pretty solid beginner's video someone on youtube posted, though it doesn't go in-depth about abilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bld3dRzyesE

I'm on like level 23 or something of the single-player, and haven't missed any scrolls.  Haven't used my amiibo yet.

So, browsing through this thread, I saw something called Rainmaker Mode. Yet, after about a month of playing this game, I've never seen it as an option. Why's that?

Finally, do the updates happen automatically? I see the "news" broadcast from the squid girls, who make little announcements about new weapons and Splatfest, but I've never seen an option to download an update or anything, neither from the game itself nor from the eShop.

So, browsing through this thread, I saw something called Rainmaker Mode. Yet, after about a month of playing this game, I've never seen it as an option. Why's that?

Finally, do the updates happen automatically? I see the "news" broadcast from the squid girls, who make little announcements about new weapons and Splatfest, but I've never seen an option to download an update or anything, neither from the game itself nor from the eShop.
Every 4 hours, the game changes modes and maps. It's completely random so I can't say for sure when a specific mode will be on.

The little updates here and there are stored on the regular game updates you download for the game (hope this made sense). Sometimes they lock up the content on those updates and then release the content slowly.

Use SplatNet (splatoon.nintendo.net) to see upcoming maps and gametypes.  Rainmaker is pretty fun; last night was the second night I have got to play it.

Since my last post, I finished all the story mode/amiibo unlocks and got all scrolls.  I'm currently level 22 in the B+ 68 ranked.  B+ is the first letter grade where I've had a bit of trouble (dropped all the way to 0 before bringing it back).

Haven't played in months.  I think last time I played was during the first splatfest after the level cap increase.  December was suppose to have a huge update, but it doesn't seem to have happened yet.

EDIT:
Apparently an update is set to drop in a few hours.  Still looks like no word on local multiplayer etc.

Update did come up last night.

I'm in the A- range (and Level 27)...but sometimes I don't feel like I should be. When I was in all of the C brackets and the B- and B range, I was tearing it up. Constantly leading the team (and with high kills).

Now, however, I don't think I'm adjusting to the pace and efficiency that others in the matches are having. I'm sure it's just a "practice makes perfect" type thing...but I hate feeling like I'm not contributing enough to my team.

EDIT: A couple nights ago, I got bumped back to B+. Worked my way back to A- again. I felt stronger than the B+ players. Hoping I can move up this go round!

Whats the highest score anyone has ever got on Turf War mode?  My highest score was just under 2200 points on piranha pit.  Just curious whats possible.

Anybody want to Squad up sometime?  I really need to practice playing in Squads, as that's where the real action is at.  I'm S rank currently.  

I haven't played in ages, but hit me up when you're playing
Sweet, I will.
I've been getting bounced in and out of S rank. Want to get squads in so I get a lot of practice/staying power.

Will prolly be playing tomorrow night, if you're around.

bread's done
Back