Splatoon Discussion Thread

If the Testfire proved anything it's that Nintendo was able to handle a lot of people on their servers at once. I played 2 of the 3 hours and I don't think I ran into any problems at all. I was concerned about that, but after the Testfire I think it should be good.
My concern wasn't so much the way the game plays online, although Nintendo doesn't have the best track record with online play either. Smash Bros. is super laggy for me with anymore than 2 players on the screen at once.

My concerns are two things when it comes to the online play. Number one is communication, the Wii U has pretty limited voice chat functionality as it is and they never have implemented communication online very well in the past. The other concern for me is finding and playing with my friends online. Unfortunately with Nintendo being so far behind Sony and Microsoft in terms of online functionality, I just don't expect much from Splatoon.

Don't get me wrong, the game looks like a lot of fun and I am sure it is. I'll definitely pick the game up, but I may wait for a price-drop first, Nintendo is making a big push for this game, but I am not sure that the core Wii U audience is looking for this sort of game right now. Definitely glad Nintendo is trying something new with Splatoon though and I hope it does well so the trend will continue, Nintendo is in desperate need of some new IPs.

Excited for the game but not excited for the whole Amiibo situation. I kinda want them for the challenges but I fear they will be all gone before I can get to a gamestop after work on Fri.

[quote name="Sir_Fragalot" post="12708043" timestamp="1432659584"]Excited for the game but not excited for the whole Amiibo situation. I kinda want them for the challenges but I fear they will be all gone before I can get to a gamestop after work on Fri.[/quote]
I hope I can snag at least a regular inkling amiibo at launch.

And just 3 days more...

Well I am a fuck ing dumbass. I forgot to preorder the game at Amazon (thought I did).

Oh well I am assuming there will be enough stock between a Target, GS and Wal Mart tomorrow to secure a copy at 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am a fuck ing dumbass. I forgot to preorder the game at Amazon (thought I did).

Oh well I am assuming there will be enough stock between a Target, GS and Wal Mart tomorrow to secure a copy at 5.
If you preorder at GameStop you get 3 weird mii skins for Smash Bros. Doubt that matters though.

AND ONE DAY TO GO!!!! I'M EXCITED!!!!

Apologies if this is obvious but can you play only on the Wii U gamepad? Just wondering if I can have the TV occupied with something else while playing Splatoon on the gamepad. 

[quote name="MP77" post="12713109" timestamp="1432863984"]Apologies if this is obvious but can you play only on the Wii U gamepad? Just wondering if I can have the TV occupied with something else while playing Splatoon on the gamepad. [/quote]
Only on single player campaign. The other modes require the TV.

does anyone have recommendations on screen protector/case for the pad?  I I'll be pickuping up my wii u later. I'll likely get the horic screen protector but wondering about a case.

I visited 5 stores on Friday to find the damn 3 pack. Luckily Amazon pulled through.

How do I get gear higher than 1 star? Loving the game so far. Only been able to play today so idk if more than one star gear is in the rotation.

Game is outstanding. Played about 2 hours tonight. But Im having some difficulty with the gyroscopic control scheme. Anyone else?

I made it to level 4 and upgraded my gun but im losing most 1v1 shootouts when you meet an enemy on the map. (Maybe I just suck?)

Anyway..whole new take on the FPS. Loving it.

Glad you guys are enjoying it as well. I think it will be one of the best Wii U games once all the free updates release. As of now, its still a great game with the Nintendo gameplay we all love and worth owning.

My NNID is RoytheRobot if y'all wanna get some matches going between CAGs.

Game is outstanding. Played about 2 hours tonight. But Im having some difficulty with the gyroscopic control scheme. Anyone else?

I made it to level 4 and upgraded my gun but im losing most 1v1 shootouts when you meet an enemy on the map. (Maybe I just suck?)

Anyway..whole new take on the FPS. Loving it.
You can turn off the motion controls if its a problem. Just click the options tab on the gamepad... and you may suck? haha

I visited 5 stores on Friday to find the damn 3 pack. Luckily Amazon pulled through.

How do I get gear higher than 1 star? Loving the game so far. Only been able to play today so idk if more than one star gear is in the rotation.
I'm not sure if you can upgrade the gear's stars. I do know you can unlock some sort of perks once you've reached a certain amount of experience with each gear.

I realize I love this game for a few reasons. First gear is relatively cheap, and stock refreshes each day. Kinda tired of shooters where your gear is down to chance or you have to buy with real money (Granted the stock is randomized each day but there still is a solid stock of items). Second I love that Nintendo made matches short and that the teams are always randomized with players. That alone makes the game fun because if I have a horrible team, it's over so fast that I don't feel bad (my number one complaint with shooters is being on a bad team and then the game drags on forever).

I'm loving what I've been able to play...is anyone else getting a bunch of errors after a few seconds of gameplay online?I keep getting "You are not connected to the Internet", but my phone tells me otherwise. I also get the message, "could not connect to partner's device" every so often.
I'm still at level 5 because I keep getting disconnected. Had no trouble with the first three testfires, so I doubt it's me.

I have only gotten like 2 or 3 error in the 20 hours I've put into the multiplayer. Can't say it's your internet, but at least I haven't had problems

I've put off asking that question for a long while hoping my problem would fix itself, finally asked, then I restarted my router and it immediately fixed my problem. XD I guess it was me after all. Odd...I didnt have trouble with MK8. I still lag a bit every so often during matches, but it's barely noticeable compared to the lag I was getting before. Maybe I need a new router.
Hope it continues to work. Got a solid 2 hours of gameplay, and finally up to level 9. ^^

Ok this game is broken as in no team balance. I played 7 matches tonight and all 7 the team balance was at least two players 19 or higher on the enemy team and our highest player was 10. I also jumped into different games and no change. 

It's so goddamn annoying when your the top player with 1000 pts and you lose because the other team is stacked (I was the top player in all 7 on my team with a level 8 character).

Ranked Battles (Splat Zones), a new map and the '85 Nintendo Zapper weapon have been unlocked and playable now.

Just in case, you have to buy the zapper at the weapon shop (of course).

Edit: Sir Fragalot, you get matched with people based on their "skillz", not their level. The level just means (most of the times) that they have played more or less than you.

Ok this game is broken as in no team balance. I played 7 matches tonight and all 7 the team balance was at least two players 19 or higher on the enemy team and our highest player was 10. I also jumped into different games and no change.

It's so goddamn annoying when your the top player with 1000 pts and you lose because the other team is stacked (I was the top player in all 7 on my team with a level 8 character).
I noticed that same thing (in Splatoon and just about every other online shooter). I just started playing today and when I was level 3, it was regularly pairing me with other level 3s or 4s while the other team had multiple players who reached level 17 to 19. Once you get the hang of the game and buy a few extra weapons, level doesn't matter as there isn't too terribly much strategy where any one person would have a major advantage based on higher level

I wish Ranked Battle was based upon how well you do, not your team. Past two days I have been paired with just bad teammates for most of my time.

Man, I love the new inkbrush! It's great for rushing to a splat zone, and covering it quickly.
Hard to retaliate with, but still a lot of fun.

Also: I'm dangerously addicted to rank battles lol.
This whole game is great. A bit frustrating at times as I also wish rank battle rewarded you for how well the player, not the team, does but I'm happy I bought it.

So I beat the single player (got all those damn scrolls) and currently leveling up online (not ranked). 

I bought 2 1star clothing pieces before I even read about the abilities etc on gear.  Is there anyway to get rid of them and rebuy when they are restocked?  From what I have read elsewhere, looks like I'll have to drop 30k to reroll stats.  I guess for future ref, it is best to wait until a piece of gear has a desired abilitiy before buying so that way at least one slot won't have to be wasted to reroll.

I'm guessing the items unlocked fro 1p mode (Hero stuff etc) can also have slots added/rerolled? 

Unfortunately the main ability is always the same even if you re-buy it (the only way to re-buy is from another player) and you can't re-roll it. You can only re-roll sub abilities and only when you have three of them (it's kind of convoluted, but it makes it harder for people to get what they want and dominate everyone else so...there's that).
I re-rolled like 7 times in a row once and got the same abilities over and over again...so sometimes it's better to just find the clothing/abilities you want on another player and buy it through Spike while hoping she finds you one with the same exact abilities (which she does sometimes).

At least, that's what I figured out so far.

New weapon dropping tonight at 10:00 P.M. EST

PCw2zn4.png

The Splash-O-Matic.

This game is fantastic. I enjoy the single player and mp is probably my favorite of any competitive albeit there are only 2 maps at a time it kind of helps me learn them in battle mode so when they come up in ranked I don't feel so gimped.

Unfortunately the main ability is always the same even if you re-buy it (the only way to re-buy is from another player) and you can't re-roll it. You can only re-roll sub abilities and only when you have three of them (it's kind of convoluted, but it makes it harder for people to get what they want and dominate everyone else so...there's that).
I re-rolled like 7 times in a row once and got the same abilities over and over again...so sometimes it's better to just find the clothing/abilities you want on another player and buy it through Spike while hoping she finds you one with the same exact abilities (which she does sometimes).

At least, that's what I figured out so far.
I haven't messed around with ordering gear I see on players in the plaza yet. I've heard different things however regarding the sub abilities of ordered gear. Some are (un)locked and may or may not be the same sub abilities as that the player had...

I'm around level 15 atm. I used the jr up until level 12. Then I got the aerospray rg which made leveling faster (700-1200 points without win bonus). I don't really like the T splattershot, The Nzap, brush, and splatomatic were ok the few times I tried.

I only played ranked twice and lost badly so will wait until 3 star gear in stores.

I haven't messed around with ordering gear I see on players in the plaza yet. I've heard different things however regarding the sub abilities of ordered gear. Some are (un)locked and may or may not be the same sub abilities as that the player had...
I'm not sure if some sub abilities can only be unlocked, but I did say you have to hope Spyke will find the same ones.

Side note:
Has anyone made it to A+ rank? My highest rank so far is B+. Made it to 90, and then had unfortunate team members...

Just picked this game up yesterday and I'm loving it so far.  Still figuring out all of the gear and unlocks, etc.  I was able to grab the last copy at Best Buy. They had one of the bundles left, as well. Has this game been selling that well? Going to be a big hit?

Just picked this game up yesterday and I'm loving it so far. Still figuring out all of the gear and unlocks, etc. I was able to grab the last copy at Best Buy. They had one of the bundles left, as well. Has this game been selling that well? Going to be a big hit?
I heard it sold 420K on the first 10 days. That's not counting eShop sales, so I consider it a big hit for a New Nintendo IP on the Wii U.

Bummed about splatfest being postponed, but on the bright side I noticed today that this game was sold out everywhere I went. Didn't see a single copy (well, except the extra one I had that I returned lol).

Nice to see that this game looks to be a big hit. :)

I still haven't picked a side for the splatfest, but I will likely go dogs as I feel more people would pick dogs (and in theory more people would work to make dogs win).

what does the winning side get?

anyone want to play? I'm on randomly, also up for Mario Kart. PM me, I'll add you. I'm not awesome but I don't royally suck.

Team Dog won the Splatfest!!!

I really loved the atmosphere and the slight cosmetic changes that they gave the stages during the Splatfest. Callie and Marie are top notch artists. Really can't wait for the next one.

BTW, how many hours have y'all put into this game? I have played 65+ hours and I haven't gotten tired of it.

I loved the way the levels looked in the dark (was able to sneak in quite a few matches in the early/late hours of the day)! I wish they rotated though...it was a little monotonous playing the same three. Still had a lot of fun, and got 24 sea snails to boot. :)

And Roy, I'm reluctant to admit exactly how many hours I have logged into this game...^^;; I am way too addicted. Just know it's more hours than Smash and Mario Kart combined lol (and I got all three on their release dates).

I haven't played for weeks, last time was a few days after Kelp Dome dropped. 

I went from 16 to about a third way through rank 18 during the Splatfest. 

I started in the afternoon and had 2 normal games followed by disconnects (in lobby, midgame, end of game etc) and couldn't even connect to online for a while.  Eventually things went smooth and got up to +15.50.  Was with the same team for probably a good hour.  Then one guy left and won next game... followed by losses (+11.0 I think).

I then decided to start leaving lobby if my team didn't break 40% and I had 1200+ pts (yeah aerospray rg but whatever).  Then unbalanced games started happening, mostly with my team down a player or 2.  Eventually got a decent team and we somehow dominated a full Cat team (3 on 4) on Kelp Dome.  I think those guys stuck around a good while.  I eventually hit Dog King and tried my luck at increasing Freshness but ended my session with a loss lol.  I was back to +15 though

All in all Splatfest was fine despite the obvious networking issues and the unbalancing of matchmaking.  Took nearly 4 hours to hit max splatfest rank too, so probably around 3 hours with no issues. 

I definately noticed the unbalancedness in regards to skill as well.  I guess a bunch of summer noobs and or nongamers came back or just got the game.  I say I'm average.  I typically score 900-1200 on a loss with aero - 600-1000 with jr.  I don't recall getting 4+ splats that often in turf war with aero.  I hit 14 splats one game and died once or twice.  There were a good amound of games where my team was able to spawn trap.  It was crazy.  There were a few instances where I somehow got 3 splats when the enemy were all in front of me.

bread's done
Back