Splinter Cell Conviction (360) $46.99 (PC) $41.99 after coupon at Amazon

Ragingbull2380

CAGiversary!
[rightimg]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/media/gameimages/live_238.jpg[/rightimg]Use coupon code SPLINTER to get $5 off any version of Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction. This brings the 360 version down to $46.99 and the PC version to $41.99. The coupon also works on the Limited Edition.

iconamazon.gif
Splinter Cell Conviction (360) $46.99 (PC) $41.99

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankfully I did preorder from amazon, but the way this BBV sale has been going I may have to get it from Gamestop.

[quote name='sdcranford']Has this expired? Was holding out to see if TRU or BB had a deal. Now when I go to pre-order and use the code it says the promo code is expired.[/QUOTE]

I was holding out too and totally forgot to go back and order it once I saw the B&M ads earlier in the week. Oh well, probably just wait for a sale later on. Don't really need another game at the moment since I still have Resonance of Fate, Yakuza 3 and FFXIII to finish.

[quote name='ssjmichael']this game is only 5 hrs long apparently :/[/QUOTE]

for the single player...but the other modes add twice that...just like Rainbow Six and Graw...the single player games make up a small part of the fun..

Bleh it's Ubisoft. These are the same idiots that have that stupid DRM for Assassins Creed 2 on PC right? I'm canceling my pre order for Conviction and will buy it used. Screw you right back Ubisoft.

9.3 on IGN.

Don't trust IGN, especially when they get (one of) the first review(s) up. I think we all know that game by now.

this game is only 5 hrs long apparently :/

You know, I might just have to cancel this preorder. That's what I got this game for, and that's basically unacceptable, even factoring in the 'I Kinda Suck' variable.

EDIT: And more than anything, I'd say that the glut of pre-emptive sale prices for this game doesn't bode well. Just whatever you do, don't look for objectivity in user comments an message boards--people (read: obnoxious children) who aren't getting paid off and yet vigorously prop up something to the nth--even sadder.

EDIT II: My God! Could that IGN Video Review sound any more like an Ubisoft press release being read after fifteen minutes of rehearsal in front of a mirror?? I love how nonchalantly Goldstein glosses over the "five-hour single-player campaign," as if it's just another minor bullet point for the back of the game box.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that a 5-hour campaign for this game is way too short. A game like Splinter Cell should really be 8-10 hours minimum. I think in the minds of Ubisoft though, the co-op mode makes up the difference (IGN said it adds a few more hours), and it really does sound pretty cool the way they are implementing it (though it would be nice to see a single player option for the co-op content like in L4D).

And even though I'm a bit disappointed with the length, the gameplay in this game looks to be incredible (and I loved it in the demo). I'm still keeping my preorder with Amazon, and I am really looking forward to getting it Tuesday!

[quote name='jollydwarf']9.3 on IGN.

Don't trust IGN, especially when they get (one of) the first review(s) up. I think we all know that game by now.

this game is only 5 hrs long apparently :/

You know, I might just have to cancel this preorder. That's what I got this game for, and that's basically unacceptable, even factoring in the 'I Kinda Suck' variable.

EDIT: And more than anything, I'd say that the glut of pre-emptive sale prices for this game doesn't bode well. Just whatever you do, don't look for objectivity in user comments an message boards--people (read: obnoxious children) who aren't getting paid off and yet vigorously prop up something to the nth--even sadder.

EDIT II: My God! Could that IGN Video Review sound any more like an Ubisoft press release being read after fifteen minutes of rehearsal in front of a mirror?? I love how nonchalantly Goldstein glosses over the "five-hour single-player campaign," as if it's just another minor bullet point for the back of the game box.[/QUOTE]

You do know GameInformer gave it a 9/10 and Edge gave it 8/10, which is pretty good by Edge standards. Just download the demo... To boot, the game includes a co-op campaign that should double the game length. That is above average game length.

However, if it isn't your cup of tea, it isn't your cup of tea....

Well, I canceled without much reservation (buh-dum!), as my backlog already threatens to bury me alive, and I'll just revisit this when it approaches the $30-$35 range. And pistol-whip me if you must, but the IGN Video Review was largely responsible. It should've been preceded with an old-time cinema title card announcing "Filmed...In Stunning Shill-O-Vision!"

P.S. Regarding the other two reviews, my basic rule is to not trust any of the first wave of reviews for high-profile games like this, until, that is, the post-release reviews more or less corroborate what they've said. Odds are that IF IGN got 'nudged' by Ubi, they weren't the only ones.

P.P.S. Concerning user comments, remember, employees of Ubisoft and their PR machine can register to post, too. They just might even have a decent understanding of how to textually mimmick the average semi-literate fuckwad teen from Middle 'murrica.

Lol all 3 were bought and paid for huh? Whatever, we don't need the speech, "I'm not buying now" will suffice. Your tinfoil antennae is showing.

[quote name='Vortextk']Lol all 3 were bought and paid for huh? Whatever, we don't need the speech, "I'm not buying now" will suffice. Your tinfoil antennae is showing.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Too funny... Anyhow, I would like a longer single player campaign but considering I'm not paying anywhere close to MSRP I'm not going to complain too much. I also suspect by the time I got something added to the order (I have an ECA code tied up in it) it would likely be to late to cancel SC:C so I might as well let it ride.

Anyhow know if the co-op stuff is split screen? (I'm suspecting not... but it would be a cool bonus if it is.)

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM'] Anyhow know if the co-op stuff is split screen? (I'm suspecting not... but it would be a cool bonus if it is.)[/QUOTE]

:)

[quote name='ShockandAww']:)[/QUOTE]Wow, how did I miss that? (I'm like at that site nomerious times a day.)

Anyhow, awesome news. And, yeah, pretty much worthy of its current price tag in my opinion... :)

[quote name='leesiulung']You do know GameInformer gave it a 9/10 and Edge gave it 8/10, which is pretty good by Edge standards. Just download the demo... To boot, the game includes a co-op campaign that should double the game length. That is above average game length.

However, if it isn't your cup of tea, it isn't your cup of tea....[/QUOTE]
Yeah gameinformer has never given an inflated score to a game to try and increase reserves for gamestop. No sir. Gameinformer has nothing to do with gamestop. This is a Ubisoft game folks. 30 dollar price drop in a month or two. Be patient.

Just canceled my $46.99 preorder... I'm not yet convinced that it's an amazing game, so I can wait a little for it to drop. Genfuyung is right... I think it'll be dropping in no time. Amazon and Dell's preorder prices were low for a reason

gamespots final hands-on preview for the game states

"The main campaign will apparently last up to 12 hours and can be replayed in a variety of different ways."

I really don't see how two sites can have such drastically different times for how long a story mode will last... It's not like you can get lost collecting items or something like that which would extend the play time.

Do what I do in terms of reviews: Look for confirmations on if your worries are correct. Is the AI glitchy as X's demo, or is it much better? Is the difficulty as off as everyone thinks? Are there game-breaking bugs?

Don't read it for their opinion, just look for facts. I never trust reviewers (after being one myself, not that I was paid off or anything, but I was always told for specific games "This publisher really, really likes us, add a few points here and there").

5 hour campaign? How much replay value? Tons. How much story that you'll actually remember? Laughable. Plenty of replay options: (Stealth/Melee only/Gunfights). Weapons to find, upgrade. Deniable ops (with randomized enemy spawns). Co-op campaign (another 5+ hours right there, not to mention how much fun you can have with just one other person). PEC challenges, too, for both Solo and Multiplayer.

Obviously not gonna convince you to re-order it on the spot, but if you really enjoyed the demo, give it a shot atleast. I've gotten way, way more of my money out of lesser-quality or lower-scored games than some of the newer ones with higher "ratings". EX: Dark Sector, Far Cry 2, Too Human (and I got these before they were as dirt cheap as they are now) just because I really enjoyed the concept. Not to mention here's a real shortage on third person shooters, and SCC will fill in a niche gap for some time, I imagine. (TPS fanboy :D)

/wall o text

[quote name='kidrocklive']gamespots final hands-on preview for the game states

"The main campaign will apparently last up to 12 hours and can be replayed in a variety of different ways."

I really don't see how two sites can have such drastically different times for how long a story mode will last... It's not like you can get lost collecting items or something like that which would extend the play time.[/QUOTE]

(sorry for double post, just saw this after posting above)

I think the IGN review said "5 hours" on his third playthrough. Atleast, in the video review he said he replayed it 3 times. Some people were saying it varies on how stealthy you are, and it gets much faster if you take a more aggressive approach.

Was able to get the "splinter" code applied to my CE preorder this afternoon. It'll end up being $50 after ECA and preordering back before it was &80.

[quote name='Vader582']Was able to get the "splinter" code applied to my CE preorder this afternoon. It'll end up being $50 after ECA and preordering back before it was &80.[/QUOTE]

What ECA code... do you mean the 10% off that has long been gone? Exactly when did you preorder Splinter Cell Conviction lol...

[quote name='Vader582']Was able to get the "splinter" code applied to my CE preorder this afternoon. It'll end up being $50 after ECA and preordering back before it was &80.[/QUOTE]

What ECA code... do you mean the 10% off that has long been gone? Exactly when did you preorder Splinter Cell Conviction lol...

[quote name='hmbtnguy']What ECA code... do you mean the 10% off that has long been gone? Exactly when did you preorder Splinter Cell Conviction lol...[/QUOTE]

He probably grabbed a bunch of codes way back when and keeping them for future use.

[quote name='kidrocklive']gamespots final hands-on preview for the game states

I really don't see how two sites can have such drastically different times for how long a story mode will last... It's not like you can get lost collecting items or something like that which would extend the play time.[/QUOTE]

Main story is 5-6 hours. Co-op is 5-6 hours....You do the math

[quote name='leesiulung']He probably grabbed a bunch of codes way back when and keeping them for future use.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't work anymore. Hasn't for a long time. He either added it to an existing order that had an ECA code or he pre ordered long ago

[quote name='slickkill77']That doesn't work anymore. Hasn't for a long time. He either added it to an existing order that had an ECA code or he pre ordered long ago[/QUOTE]
I preordered long ago... and there wasn't a collector's edition announced then so i think he must have added it to an existing order.

Anyhow, only paying 40 bucks for the game so the 'shortness' of it all doesn't bug me in the least.

[quote name='slickkill77']Main story is 5-6 hours. Co-op is 5-6 hours....You do the math

That doesn't work anymore. Hasn't for a long time. He either added it to an existing order that had an ECA code or he pre ordered long ago[/QUOTE]

To me, main story = main campaign. I see what you are getting at but I don't agree with calling the co-op mode part of the campaign. To me it's a bonus mode, single player is the campaign. But then again everybody thinks differently and I'm not the reviewer so there ya go lol.

[quote name='Rhett']Not to mention here's a real shortage on third person shooters, and SCC will fill in a niche gap for some time, I imagine. (TPS fanboy :D)

/wall o text[/QUOTE]

Lack of third person shooters? I had thought they were all the rage these days.

[quote name='hmbtnguy']What ECA code... do you mean the 10% off that has long been gone? Exactly when did you preorder Splinter Cell Conviction lol...[/QUOTE]
November 9th, 2009. :lol:

Just shipped! Gets here wednesday! Xbox should make it to microsoft's repair center in texas by wednesday! I'm...!!!!!!.....not excited because I can't play it for like two weeks. Excellent!

Question:

I pre-ordered a game, Red Dead Redemption, at Amazon using my $10 Game Credit from a previous video game purchase (it was good til April 30th); however I'm thinking of canceling my pre-order and hoping to use my Game Credit it for another game i.e. Splinter Cell Conviction.

Will Amazon refund me my $10 Game Credit back, so that I can use it for another game?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

they will refund the $10 credit only if it hasn't expired yet. When you got the credit it had most likely a 30 day expiration date. Sometimes its longer, check the email that you got. If it hasn't expired yet, your free to cancel and move around the credit to any other game up until it expires.

^ Thanks y'all!

Side note: Notice that Splinter Cell Limited Edition does NOT come with the Bonus Co-op code???

Only the regular edition.

:whistle2:#

bread's done
Back