Splinter Cell Conviction- Out now

I like it, but it really seems like they had too many actions to map onto the controller when you have reload and zoom on the sticks. It probably could have been refined a bit more (for example, LT could be stand/crouch when tapped and cover when held). There are some cheesy stealth cliches like random goons that happen to know the entire evil plot and are casually discussing it for no reason that keeps it from being too serious.

It's pretty good, but I'll probably wait a few weeks to get it for $40.

It's pretty awesome. But, they seemed to have dumbed it down a bit for casual audiences (like every game coming out now indays). And why would they have X as an EMP Grenade?! I keep accidentally "reloading" and launching it off and getting caught.

I did that in the very beginning and didn't realize wtf was happening til I looked up the controls, I was also looking for reload.

I really enjoyed the demo. I'm debating whether to pre-order or goozex it. I have a lot of games I want to get through, so goozex will probably be the way to go for me.

[quote name='aheineken']I really enjoyed the demo. I'm debating whether to pre-order or goozex it. I have a lot of games I want to get through, so goozex will probably be the way to go for me.[/QUOTE]
you should buy it day one. hands down. goozex is the suxorz. you'll probably end up like 6000th in line because the servers will crash. in fact, everyone on goozex should just buy it..............:lol:

I know of the "semi-automatic shotgun" that you get at Gamestop. Ordinarily, I might be intrigued, but an automatic shotgun in a stealth game sounds counter-productive.

Oh yeah, and Amazon is giving a code for a co-op mode. Their price is nice though.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']It's pretty awesome. But, they seemed to have dumbed it down a bit for casual audiences (like every game coming out now indays). And why would they have X as an EMP Grenade?! I keep accidentally "reloading" and launching it off and getting caught.[/QUOTE]

I was doing the same thing, really enjoyed the game tho.

Gonna post since the demo really exacerbated my desire for this game's release, and also fill in some minor infoz.

Amazon thus far seems like the best place to order from, but that could change if you have credit with other stores.

The shotgun from GameStop's preorder is likely not exclusive, but I'm not sure.

The SC3000 from the CE is not exclusive, just early unlock for owners. The MP5SD3 may or may not be exclusive, not sure yet. It's presumed that the 3rd Echelon outfit is exclusive.

The Ghost Recon beta invite is in every single copy, so don't buy into GameStop's using it as a pre-order bonus.

The infiltration mode that you get free with (I think) the CE, as well as a pre-order from Amazon, is available through UPlay (Ubisoft's ingame rewards program) for 40 points. UPlay has a wallpaper, a SCAR-H (assault rifle), a Deniable Ops outfit, and the Infiltration game mode as rewards.

All 4 rewards, total, cost 100 UPlay points. Completing all 4 'Actions' in SCC will give you enough points for them. Points accumulated from Assassin's Creed 2 can be used on SCC rewards.

Those who are sad that Spies vs Mercs is gone, can be reassured that it's very likely that it will be released as DLC since it was removed at the last minute. (Yes, it existed at one point, look at Xbox Marketplace for Avatar items relating to SvM)

I can't wait, will have it on release day if Amazon pulls through. :)

Looking forward to coop, so if you're mature and interested in playing SCC on April 13th (or thereabouts) on the Xbox 360, please see and add my GT: Rhett819

Edit: Check out this awesome Preview by GameTrailers.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slickkill77']Wow. This game is built off of old Caos Theory code. How lazy can a developer be?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-splintercell-conviction-demo-analysis[/QUOTE]
It's not laziness. Reusing old code (as long as it is good code) saves time, money, and resources. Modern computer languages are designed to be easily reusable, when coded properly of course. I do it all the time, and I make sure that when I write new code I so in a way that later on I'll be able to reuse the code.

[quote name='blueweltall']What's wrong with that? They used old code and improved on it. I don't see nothing wrong with that if the game is going to be good.[/QUOTE]

The Chaos Theory code is really old. That means this game could of looked a lot better

[quote name='slickkill77']The Chaos Theory code is really old. That means this game could of looked a lot better[/QUOTE]

I think you're reading the article wrong. It's not even being overly critical about it using the Chaos Theory code. It's saying that since the development of this game started 5 years ago, they didn't have the newest game engine to just copy and use for their own benefit. So, what they did was take the CT code, something they were already very familiar with, and built off of it.

The article even mentions several techniques that they came up with that are similar to or better than what some of the newer engines use. It seems they just took a different approach to get there. To me, this doesn't show laziness. It shows initiative. Yes, the game could probably look better, but there's nothing wrong with it. You act like they're just using "the same old code from 2004", when that's not what the article is saying at all.

However, it atleast runs great. I didn't experience any FPS drops, really.

The whole 576p thing though is kind of irritating, since I use an LCD monitor just because of the higher resolution.

Oh well, still loves it.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I think you're reading the article wrong. It's not even being overly critical about it using the Chaos Theory code. It's saying that since the development of this game started 5 years ago, they didn't have the newest game engine to just copy and use for their own benefit. So, what they did was take the CT code, something they were already very familiar with, and built off of it.

The article even mentions several techniques that they came up with that are similar to or better than what some of the newer engines use. It seems they just took a different approach to get there. To me, this doesn't show laziness. It shows initiative. Yes, the game could probably look better, but there's nothing wrong with it. You act like they're just using "the same old code from 2004", when that's not what the article is saying at all.[/QUOTE]

I realize they upped the code so no that's not what I'm acting like. They could of used the UE 3 engine and the game would look much better. The game isn't sparkling in the graphics department which is disappointing because all the past Splinter Cells have set a really high bar for graphics.

Save $5 if you ordered from Amazon!

Enter code SPLINTER at checkout (may have to cancel and re-order)

Works with Standard and CE, and both consoles. (PC and Xbox)

This is already in the deals section, but may as well keep everyone in the loop.

Remember, if you're using an Amazon balance or GC, and you enter this code, it will REPLACE that balance. You must go back to your Payment Method page to correct it. (only mentioning this because it happened to me, and I didn't know it would occur)

[quote name='Rhett']Save $5 if you ordered from Amazon!

Enter code SPLINTER at checkout (may have to cancel and re-order)

Works with Standard and CE, and both consoles. (PC and Xbox)

This is already in the deals section, but may as well keep everyone in the loop.

Remember, if you're using an Amazon balance or GC, and you enter this code, it will REPLACE that balance. You must go back to your Payment Method page to correct it. (only mentioning this because it happened to me, and I didn't know it would occur)[/QUOTE]It's easiest, unless you have a promotional code from a pre-order on your pre-order for Conviction (or have the CE @ $69.99 before the coupon) to just cancel the order and reorder it, as your GC balance will just go back into your account immediately after the cancellation.

If you have a pre-order you can't cancel, email Amazon CS and have them adjust the price by $5 for the coupon's worth, since they can't add the coupon to an existing order.

Thread in question is over here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256070

Thanks for the mention of the code. Preordered the Collectors Edition again for $65 which is pretty awesome. Man I'm so pumped for this game to come out already.

Browsing through other sites, I'm getting kind of irritated at the complaining people are doing about this game. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion and if they don't like the game that's fine. I find it funny there are so many people that seem offended after playing the demo that Conviction plays differently from the previous Splinter Cell games. Did these people see the footage of the game at last years E3? I went into this demo knowing that this game would play differently from the others and I loved the demo.

I think ultimately people just like to bitch about something. People bitch about Conviction because they feel it doesn't feel like a Splinter Cell game. People would also have bitched if Conviction would have played very similar to all of the previous games. I love the previous games in the series but since this is the 5th title, I'm personally glad they are moving in a different direction.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Hot damn, did not realize the demo had been out for awhile now.[/QUOTE]

Lucky bastage. The rest of us have been counting the days. :lol:

Seems like if it was in stock, they'd put effort into shipping it out reasonably early (FSSS has taken up to two weeks, maybe a little longer, for me).

Atleast, I hope they do. Especially since I've heard of people receiving games (IE: MW2) days before it was supposed to come out. But that was with other companies, I think.

Haven't played the demo, but I'm still really excited for this game. It's gonna be a day 1 purchase or shortly after for me.

[quote name='RchrdJ']Haven't played the demo, but I'm still really excited for this game. It's gonna be a day 1 purchase or shortly after for me.[/QUOTE]

I really don't understand this - play the demo THEN figure out when you're going to/if you're going to purchase it. Don't blindly buy things.

[quote name='Scorch']I really don't understand this - play the demo THEN figure out when you're going to/if you're going to purchase it. Don't blindly buy things.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I played the demo...I was never one for stealth, but I do appreciate the Splinter Cell series' type of stealth (not Metal Gear's at all) and played Chaos Theory for about 4 levels, and enjoyed it, but found it just too taxing on my time. 45 min to play 1 level the first time through the level? Too long for me, but I liked it.

From what I saw of this game, I thought it would be more action based, and it definitely is, but there's still enough stealth in there to sway me away from buying it day 1. I borrowed Chaos Theory from a friend, so that was no big deal, but IDK if I can swallow $60 on SC:C not knowing just how much more stealth there is in the game.

I'll probably play the demo again because I had to fight the controls a bit and it caused me to be detected a couple times.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I'm glad I played the demo...I was never one for stealth, but I do appreciate the Splinter Cell series' type of stealth (not Metal Gear's at all) and played Chaos Theory for about 4 levels, and enjoyed it, but found it just too taxing on my time. 45 min to play 1 level the first time through the level? Too long for me, but I liked it.

From what I saw of this game, I thought it would be more action based, and it definitely is, but there's still enough stealth in there to sway me away from buying it day 1. I borrowed Chaos Theory from a friend, so that was no big deal, but IDK if I can swallow $60 on SC:C not knowing just how much more stealth there is in the game.

I'll probably play the demo again because I had to fight the controls a bit and it caused me to be detected a couple times.[/QUOTE]

The controls actually work really well (especially if you get over X being for Gadgets and not reload >_>), just need to play it a few times. As for stealth, it has as little or as much as you want. You can beat the demo without killing anyone (although they will know you're there, due to gadget use), or kill everyone silently or loudly as you choose.

There's actually ALOT of people trolling SCC because they wanted a game like the originals (more of the same) and not this new action/stealth gameplay. And also because there's no Spies vs Mercs MP, but most couldn't care less that it was taken out.

I'm really, really looking forward to the coop, though.

[quote name='Rhett']The controls actually work really well (especially if you get over X being for Gadgets and not reload >_>), just need to play it a few times. As for stealth, it has as little or as much as you want. You can beat the demo without killing anyone (although they will know you're there, due to gadget use), or kill everyone silently or loudly as you choose.

There's actually ALOT of people trolling SCC because they wanted a game like the originals (more of the same) and not this new action/stealth gameplay. And also because there's no Spies vs Mercs MP, but most couldn't care less that it was taken out.

I'm really, really looking forward to the coop, though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. The X button definitely got me noticed within the first minute or so of the demo.

I know I sound contradictory when I say this, but I could hear my own voice saying "you're doing it wrong" whenever I had to resort to outright, loud-ass violence in stealth games. I even noticed it during the demo where, when I did get caught and ended up shooting everyone, it felt unsatisfying.

Same thing happened to me with Chaos Theory. I would limp my way through a level the first time, killing people loudly if need be just to get through, then go back, and knowing what I knew about enemy placements, go back and get the highest rating. I'm sort of stuck in the middle, where feel I bad if I have to resort to the outright, loud violence, but at the same time, these days, I don't have the time or patience to go back through steathily. I think the problem is I really want to like these games, and I've always liked the "idea" of stealth games where you are a highly trained spy/assassin, but the game play never gelled with me.

Also, I'm still kind of annoyed by the artificial, and sometimes unpredictable, nature of an enemy's awareness in stealth games. For example, in the first couple minutes of the demo, the game asks you to move from cover to cover. The thing is, an enemy was right next to the next piece of cover...so I waited for him to move. Thing was...he never moved. So I did as the game asked, and I moved to the next piece of cover...undetected. I couldn't help but think to myself "WTF? There's no way he couldn't see me." The game was also still in full color, leading me to believe that I would be detected, but alas I wasn't. It's these types of small things that bother me.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I know I sound contradictory when I say this, but I could hear my own voice saying "you're doing it wrong" whenever I had to resort to outright, loud-ass violence in stealth games. I even noticed it during the demo where, when I did get caught and ended up shooting everyone, it felt unsatisfying.

Same thing happened to me with Chaos Theory. I would limp my way through a level the first time, killing people loudly if need be just to get through, then go back, and knowing what I knew about enemy placements, go back and get the highest rating. I'm sort of stuck in the middle, where feel I bad if I have to resort to the outright, loud violence, but at the same time, these days, I don't have the time or patience to go back through steathily. [/quote]

I know exactly how you feel. And you bring up a good point with Ubi and their style of design. A lot of the past games were trial and error. After you knew the enemy placement the first time, then it was a breeze the second time. They should institute a rating system after each level like FF 13 does after every battle to make you want to replay segments and do better. Didn't they do something like that in Pandora Tomorrow or Chaos Theory...I can't remember..so long ago.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']
Also, I'm still kind of annoyed by the artificial, and sometimes unpredictable, nature of an enemy's awareness in stealth games. For example, in the first couple minutes of the demo, the game asks you to move from cover to cover. The thing is, an enemy was right next to the next piece of cover...so I waited for him to move. Thing was...he never moved. So I did as the game asked, and I moved to the next piece of cover...undetected. I couldn't help but think to myself "WTF? There's no way he couldn't see me." The game was also still in full color, leading me to believe that I would be detected, but alas I wasn't. It's these types of small things that bother me.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing...."I don't want to move there...the enemy is right next to it!" Isn't it a credit to the immersion of the game? I think the "hit detection" is a little rough b/c its the demo. At least that's what I'm hoping. Final version should definitely be more polished for a stealth game!

Nope, no rating system for completion. Just 'ghosting' which further alienated two types of gamers (hardcore vs casual, lol) and was self-inflicted, where you couldn't even give them a hint that you were there, or you started over.

I think there was an end-of-mission report on kills/alarms etc, though.

As for the beginning, that was a thrown-together tutorial for you to learn on, and the first three soldiers were scripted to be your bait. Overall, the demo was made for Mark and Execute abuse, and the actual level's layout is entirely different. These are also the lower (lowest?) tier of 'enemies' you can go up against, where they aren't really trained or prepared for Sam or Sam's training as a stealth operative/spy. The tutorial in the full game happens while in Sam's house, during a break-in.

I recommend playing the demo on Realistic, if you haven't, as it adjusts the AI's perception (they'll see you sticking out of cover etc etc) and search patterns, and also how fast you die. However, once you get used to it, Realistic is also rediculously easy. Then again, easiest enemies and it was set up to be a Mark and Execute playground.

I had no issues with hit detection, myself, and found it to be accurate. I've accidentally shot a guard in the head, trying to take out a light, too. This was because of the deviation of the bullet in flight, not because of hitbox issues.

Fun things to try:

Smash a guard's head into a door! (good example is the guard on the other side of the door on the right of the warehouse)

The shotgun is satisfying (M-500 Tactical, found on two soldiers in the demo, one being in the large open warehouse)

There are flashbangs on different tables/edges, and you can shoot them instead of picking them up. Very funny! (example: right behind the guy in the booth in the warehouse)

Take everyone in the level out with CQC (not hard at all, but pretty badass :))

Throw enemies into other enemies (while holding someone, forward + B)

... Yes, played it too many times.

[quote name='Rhett']Nope, no rating system for completion. Just 'ghosting' which further alienated two types of gamers (hardcore vs casual, lol) and was self-inflicted, where you couldn't even give them a hint that you were there, or you started over.

I think there was an end-of-mission report on kills/alarms etc, though.

As for the beginning, that was a thrown-together tutorial for you to learn on, and the first three soldiers were scripted to be your bait. Overall, the demo was made for Mark and Execute abuse, and the actual level's layout is entirely different. These are also the lower (lowest?) tier of 'enemies' you can go up against, where they aren't really trained or prepared for Sam or Sam's training as a stealth operative/spy. The tutorial in the full game happens while in Sam's house, during a break-in.

I recommend playing the demo on Realistic, if you haven't, as it adjusts the AI's perception (they'll see you sticking out of cover etc etc) and search patterns, and also how fast you die. However, once you get used to it, Realistic is also rediculously easy. Then again, easiest enemies and it was set up to be a Mark and Execute playground.

I had no issues with hit detection, myself, and found it to be accurate. I've accidentally shot a guard in the head, trying to take out a light, too. This was because of the deviation of the bullet in flight, not because of hitbox issues.

Fun things to try:

Smash a guard's head into a door! (good example is the guard on the other side of the door on the right of the warehouse)

The shotgun is satisfying (M-500 Tactical, found on two soldiers in the demo, one being in the large open warehouse)

There are flashbangs on different tables/edges, and you can shoot them instead of picking them up. Very funny! (example: right behind the guy in the booth in the warehouse)

Take everyone in the level out with CQC (not hard at all, but pretty badass :))

Throw enemies into other enemies (while holding someone, forward + B)

... Yes, played it too many times.[/QUOTE]

The end of mission reports in Chaos Theory were essentially ratings reports.

Also, I'd want some firm and established rules for the AI before I go and play on Realistic (I probably never will if I get this.) Referring back to my example, it's very bothersome that the demo essentially asks you to jump in front of an enemy, but they still fail to see you because of this small piece of cover.

Again, I understand its a demo, but I do hope they fix those sorts of issues.

Also, is anyone else besides Gamestop offering a pre-order bonus? That silenced shotgun looks sick...

I thought that was a bit weird too, right in the beginning when you run for cover you're clearly in the peripheral vision of the bad guy and he doesn't even flinch. I guess we have to assume that it's super dark, and/or Sam is sneaky like a cat.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I thought that was a bit weird too, right in the beginning when you run for cover you're clearly in the peripheral vision of the bad guy and he doesn't even flinch. I guess we have to assume that it's super dark, and/or Sam is sneaky like a cat.[/QUOTE]

Again, if its super dark, why isn't the screen black and white, letting me know I can't be seen?

I realize all stealth games have a slight trial-and-error nature to them, but don't leave assumptions up to the player.

While I do not like Metal Gear's idea of stealth, they at least clearly establish the rules to the player with the enemy's vision cone for example. Sure, its completely artificial, but at least you know exactly when and where you can/can't be seen. Save for MGS 4, which just looks unplayable to me because there was no longer a vision cone.

I would hate for this game to have several moments where I think to myself "Hmm, I really hope that dude doesn't see me" which has been the biggest problem for me in stealth games. Way too much trial and error.

I would hope they provide circumstances and situations where I, the player, can confidently see and know that "I'm going to go this way, and there is no chance anyone can see me" and actually make me feel like a super assassin.

I can't imagine if the demo existed in real life, the real-life version of Sam Fisher would ever jump over that concrete block to get to the next one with an enemy right next to him.

But the demo's beginning is explicitly a tutorial for cover mechanics and M&E familiarity. All of the guards do have good overall vision/peripheral included. Those first 3 are just bait, thrown in specifically for tutorial purposes (it IS a really short demo after all)

As for preorder bonuses, I only know of Gamestop, Best Buy and Amazon. BB is giving a code for the SC3000 (not exclusive, you find it early in the campaign so I hear). Amazon has it much cheaper than other places at $46.99 with code SPLINTER. Additionally, Infiltration mode from the start (As opposed to UPlay points).

I've read that the upper tiers of enemies include other Splinter Cell agents. No telling what kind of hell that will be.

If you're THAT worried about SCC being a reasonable purchase, then just wait for reviews. AI is one of the main worries of people ATM, so once reviews pop up, we'll see if it's mentionable.

Personally, there simply aren't enough third person games with good replay value and so many options. Deniable Ops also randomizes enemy routines and spawn locations every time you play it, so it doesn't get stale.

bread's done
Back