Square Enix Fail

famousj6

CAGiversary!
I've been browsing the interwebs this morning looking up gaming news, and I've found something that really "grinds my gears." Here's the excerpt from psxextreme:

The Game Life Blog attended The Last Remnant panel at the Game Developers Conference, and after discussing the difficulty in using the Unreal Engine 3 in a JRPG, the question was posed: "The Last Remnant was originally announced to be Square-Enix's first multiplatform game. But the PlayStation 3 version hasn't come out yet. Is it still happening?" The response?
Silence.
No one wants to speak. Finally, someone ventures: "Well, the PC version came out this week."
Me: "Yes, it did."
More silence. Everyone's kind of glancing around.
Takai: "Well, as for the PS3 version, I can't say anything about that."

:censored:

Now, assuming Ben Dutka is telling the truth (he's a good gaming journalist, I wouldn't assume he'd be lying), Squeenix screwed Playstation users hardcore. I've been all for SE for a long time; a long time before the "E" was added onto the "S", and I can get buy with timed exclusives/we-haven't-figured-out-what-the-mess-we're-doings, but when you say you're going multiplatform - go MULTIPLATFORM!!

Now I'm gonna fire up my dvr and watch Colbert rap battle Michael Steele. If you have thoughts (about SE, possibly Colbert, or anything else gaming related) please post.

Square-Enix seems to love shooting themselves in the foot. They sure do love their ports of old games and delegating Dragon Quest to Nintendo consoles.

I remember reading that Last Remnant was their attempt at appealing to Western audiences. I mean, they added blood, right? Westerners love blood, after all. Sometimes I get the feeling that S-E has completely lost touch with its fanbase.

You make some good points. SE just looked us in the face, said they were expanding, and then started cranking out DS games and released Star Ocean 4 only on the xBox.

i heard the last remnant wasnt even a good game cause there was so many glitches and the graphics constantly studdered because there was like 100 dudes on the screen fighting at once. and it was basically u controller 20 other guys at once...

I thought Last Remnant was an awesome game. If you install the game, most of the lag/slowdown is gone. Nothing popping in anymore. At first the game was pretty difficult because EVERYTHING is pretty much random and sometimes you don't get the option to heal when you really need it. But if you learn to play the game is great fun. Graphics are great too. For me it was an 8.5/10

[quote name='Dead of Knight']No big loss anyway since the game is a piece of crap developed by the SaGa guy.[/quote]

Who keeps giving this guy money to make games? Has their ever been a good SaGa game beyond the SNES?

But yeah, Square Enix is no longer the RPG juggernaut it used to be. IMO the SMT series has been kicking ass for the last few years and that's saying something considering it's all last gen.

I always thought Square and Enix merging would make some kind of unstoppable RPG force, not a vortex of suck. I'd like to think it's because the Square guys and the Enix guys don't get along, so they sabotage each other be it with a shitty,pompous, overly-written,melodramatic,cliche storyline, piss-boring gameplay, or (90% of the time) BOTH.

[quote name='Rodimus']Has their ever been a good SaGa game beyond the SNES?[/quote]

Both SaGa Frontier's were decent (if anything, SFII gave Masashi Hamauzu room to breathe and what we ended up with was one of the best video game soundtracks of all time).

[quote name='GuardianE']Square-Enix seems to love shooting themselves in the foot. They sure do love their ports of old games and delegating Dragon Quest to Nintendo consoles.

I remember reading that Last Remnant was their attempt at appealing to Western audiences. I mean, they added blood, right? Westerners love blood, after all. Sometimes I get the feeling that S-E has completely lost touch with its fanbase.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is HUGE. They've alienated an entire audience. it's not like America, where you can become successful by being an asshole.

[quote name='punkmaggit']Both SaGa Frontier's were decent (if anything, SFII gave Masashi Hamauzu room to breathe and what we ended up with was one of the best video game soundtracks of all time).[/quote]

I will say this, the art has always drawn me to the series, unfortunatly the gameplay doesn't have the same effect. I was actually hyped for the first SF after watching videos but ended up hating it. I didn't even give the second one a chance.

I gave the series another shot by getting Unlimited Saga for dirt cheap (again it looked promising) but :puke:

The fact of the matter is that the SaGa team by some twist of god actually has fans. The question I want to ask them is WHY? Who the hell would be a fan of the SaGa team games? It's like a group of people gathered together to create the biggest joke of the world that people can't comprehend. But I wouldn't be surprised if the SaGa team was paying people off to pretend to like their games. It's a sort of Secret society thing that none of us get.

[quote name='Dandeschain']All of these next gen RPGs kinda suck anyway. Not missing out on much.[/QUOTE]

This right here. Worst gen for RPGs in the history of gaming, easily. Disasters like IU and TLR are truly a low mark for the genre.

Reality's Fringe;5677938]I always thought Square and Enix merging would make some kind of unstoppable RPG force said:
Its the enix side of the business that is pulling them into the gutter. They have no clue what fanservice is. Once the head of enix passes on, and the head of square is involved in a vicious driveby involving people with really nice hair, then we'll get back to the square we used to love. Until then, just point and laugh at the dumbest company this generation next to Namco and Rare. All disastrous.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Its the enix side of the business that is pulling them into the gutter.[/quote]

Are you certain of this or is it just an assumption? I ask cause before the merge Enix always made spectacular games. I can't think of any I played that were stinkers, while Square was hit an miss (more often hit)

[quote name='Halo05']Buy a 360?[/QUOTE]

or better yet, buy a decent gaming PC

and apparently the PC version is much better than the 360 version since it fixed a bunch of stuff

That's what I heard Oktober. I've just gotta save up enough. Also, I really want rpg's to do well. I agree that this is the worst pit the genre has ever been in, but I'll always hope it'll pull itself up by the bootstraps.

The game sucked and likely underperformed, why would they go through the effort of porting it over so it can sell 12 copies?

You're all going to buy FFXIII, don't lie.

[quote name='heavyd853']

You're all going to buy FFXIII, don't lie.[/QUOTE]

I think its most out of desperation if anything. I'm just hoping that whenever it'll come out it will be like FFVII and FFX where it will open the floodgates for next gen rpgs.

On a side note its kinda sad that microsoft gets why they lost in japan on the original xbox, so their pushing jrpg's a quite a bit, meanwhile Sony just seems so confused on the matter.

And some people on this message board believe Square can actually port Final Fantasy XIII to Xbox 360 and do it well.

[quote name='heavyd853']The game sucked and likely underperformed, why would they go through the effort of porting it over so it can sell 12 copies?

You're all going to buy FFXIII, don't lie.[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely waiting for reviews and probably a demo before buying it. FF12 was the last straw; I'm not buying FF games blindly anymore. Plus SE's next-gen track record has been total shit so far.

[quote name='punkmaggit']Both SaGa Frontier's were decent (if anything, SFII gave Masashi Hamauzu room to breathe and what we ended up with was one of the best video game soundtracks of all time).[/QUOTE]
Pretty much the only good thing about the Saga games is the music. Hamauzu is amazing, especially when he uses strings.

Honestly, Square was never that good. They released a couple really good games, and that's about it. It's only now becoming more apparent how mediocre they really are.

Last edited by a moderator:
SE will never be able to live up to the extremely high standards we seem to set for it.

Granted, though, they don't appear to be trying all that hard.

Last Remnant is that bad? I thought it was decent enough for $15. Yeah, granted nothing is AAA from Square-Enix anymore outside of the TWEWY for the DS and ports/remakes. I will probably buy the new FF blindly just cause I skipped the last FF on the PS2 after playing the demo (yikes that was ugly).

Anyways, yeah buy a 360 OP they have been $180 or less through Dell several times, or just put that $180 into a meaty graphics card for your PC. The game is $39.99 on the PC and is bound to drop to $20 or less in the next few months (all PC games drop quick/have a sale dirt cheap through gogamer).

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I'm definitely waiting for reviews and probably a demo before buying it. FF12 was the last straw; I'm not buying FF games blindly anymore. Plus SE's next-gen track record has been total shit so far.[/quote]
I dunno, I enjoyed FF12. I had a lot of fun playing it, and got pretty drawn into it. I tried Last Remnant and it was alright. Not great, but alright. Star Ocean 4 however... Gods, that game was amazing. I had a lot of fun with it, and I'm even planning a second playthrough.

Last Remnant wasn't a bad game. It was just mediocre.

I have to admit I am enjoying SO4 quite a bit. Which surprised me considering I don't really like the series.

yeah last remnant is pretty good for modern jrpgs. Probably the best console one this gen, along with lost odyssey.

Lost Odyssey and Persona 4 are my picks for the top JRPGS in the last 3+ years. I would still say WRPG is the way to go. Fallout, Mass Effect and Oblivion are Godly when you compare to recent AAA JRPGs in the last few years.

I was going to write up a few things about my thoughts on SE after the disaster with FFX (being the direction the series went with), but I've completely lost all enthusiasm to actually write up my feelings on how shitty SE has become (with the exception of remakes for older FF titles, Chrono Trigger being ported and the Dragon Quest series).

Needless to say, I'm not interested in FFXIII. I never was. Never will be. Square used to be a juggernaut because they had no competition. Now you have better studios rising up. I've found more entertainment in the recent Persona games than I have in a new FF title in years.

SquareEnix is just doing what most companies do.. they're just looking for profits. They're just being real jerks by exploiting their loyal fan base.

I like Square-Enix... I mean Tri-Ace is awesome, Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 are great and the Final Fantasy DS games are also fun. I don't care about LR though.

I think if people had to rate all the major publishers this Generation, Square would be last. They've been a joke from the word go, and are behind on everything.

Square's problems all began with this simple speech

Michihiro Sasaki told the paper, "We don't want the PlayStation 3 to be the overwhelming loser, so we want to support them. But we don't want them to be the overwhelming winner either, so we can't support them too much."

They supported the 360 because MS money hatted them. There isn't much more to that, and if there wasn't any direct funding from MS we would never see the next Final Fantasy on the 360.

Now if the next Final Fantasy sells well in Europe and the US on the 360, well that's another thing and could probably lead to future FInal Fantasies on the 360 without much money hatting. But TLR, Infinite Undiscovery (which is exclusive btw because MS owns the name from what I read) and Star Ocean all came to the 360 first because MS has provided money for temp exclusivity. While this means that the 360 doesn't have many permanent exclusives it at least means the 360 games the first and thats what most people consider important. / Captain Obvious.

[quote name='mis0']They're just being real jerks by exploiting their loyal fan base.[/quote]

That shouldn't be on any company's agenda :cry:
You take care of your fans, they take care of you. Code, produce, publish great games, and make them available at a fair price. If you come out from the beginning and go "360 only" - fine. You may have miffed some people, but at least you were a man about it. (A multinational man company about it?) But if you say "we're broadening our horizons" and set up a flippin internet countdown to your very first 'worldwide, multi-plat release,' and it's only for the pc and xbox... wow. Granted it's not the best game ever made, but it's the principle behind it. goomba478 changed
Capcom's minds right? Maybe somone at SE's new LA office will read this and think "hmmm.."

[quote name='magus83']I think its most out of desperation if anything. I'm just hoping that whenever it'll come out it will be like FFVII and FFX where it will open the floodgates for next gen rpgs.

On a side note its kinda sad that microsoft gets why they lost in japan on the original xbox, so their pushing jrpg's a quite a bit, meanwhile Sony just seems so confused on the matter.[/QUOTE]

The flood gates have been opened and it's all sludge. No company has come along and soaked up the FF fanbase temporarily, kinda like Saint's Row did with GTA. The games all suck.

Square is marketing FFXIII nicely though. Teaser here, blurry screen shot there, but tons of renders and large artwork that fans are complete suckers for. and an $80 demo, of course.

[quote name='ninja dog']The flood gates have been opened and it's all sludge. No company has come along and soaked up the FF fanbase temporarily, kinda like Saint's Row did with GTA. The games all suck.[/QUOTE]
I don't see that. Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4, Valkyria Chronicles. I enjoyed all those games. People always complain about how RPGs back in the day were all so good, and honestly most of them were crap back then too with a few really good ones.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Tales of Vesperia beats out all other RPGs this gen.[/quote]

Amen!

Although I would also put Lost Odyssey and Valkyria Chronicles right up there. Star Ocean 4 (on backlog) and Eternal Sonata are good second-tier RPG's also.

Well PS3 is getting the fan service game Cross Edge so everything's not terrible for PS3 owners.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I don't see that. Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4, Valkyria Chronicles. I enjoyed all those games. People always complain about how RPGs back in the day were all so good, and honestly most of them were crap back then too with a few really good ones.[/QUOTE]

you're the target audience though. aside from Lost Odyssey, maybe, those games are aimed right at the anime-fan JRPGer. Older games in the past had that influence, but it blended in better. it's not like Vesperia, where it's unabashed, sugary anime.

most non-anime fans wouldn't be caught dead playing something with characters and dialogue like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsQfWI9tq_Y

I'm not an anime fan and I like Tales games... I agree with Rei that a lot of old games suck, but everyone seems to jump on the nostalgia bandwagon.

[quote name='ninja dog']you're the target audience though. aside from Lost Odyssey, maybe, those games are aimed right at the anime-fan JRPGer. Older games in the past had that influence, but it blended in better. it's not like Vesperia, where it's unabashed, sugary anime.

most non-anime fans wouldn't be caught dead playing something with characters and dialogue like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsQfWI9tq_Y[/QUOTE]
I don't mind being catered to.

And yeah, that scene is goofy but I don't see it as any worse than the testosterone fueled BS spouted in games like Gears of War or Halo.

[quote name='ninja dog']you're the target audience though. aside from Lost Odyssey, maybe, those games are aimed right at the anime-fan JRPGer. Older games in the past had that influence, but it blended in better. it's not like Vesperia, where it's unabashed, sugary anime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsQfWI9tq_Y[/quote]

HOLY SHIT that voiceacting is worse then Cross Edge! Why are they getting a man to voiceact a woman?

This is what happens when developers have too much processing power and budget to work with.

Restrictions breed creativity, and SE just doesnt have it anymore.

[quote name='Paco']HOLY SHIT that voiceacting is worse then Cross Edge! Why are they getting a man to voiceact a woman?[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The general macho banter in some shooters is annoying but it's generally drowned out by the shooting, dodging, killing, etc. that is occuring at the same time. With a cut scene like that, you just have to sit there and soak in it.

bread's done
Back