Standing in line for hours for PS3?

After getting the first verison of PS2 that was super bugged.. I am never getting a Playstation on day one again. Maybe after all the bugs are worked out of the PS3 and I know their will be bugs.

Not only that, there was no good games out when the PS2 first came out and most likely same for PS3. >.>

I'm hittin Walmart at about 6PM (friggin bad luck havin an exam, so I can't ditch classes that day). Do they usually sell them at midnight? Also, with Walmart, are you allowed to bring in a folding chair and stuff like that, or do you have to stand/sit on the floor?

[quote name='whoknows']If DMC4 is coming out early next year I am holding onto my PS3 for dear life. No way will I risk not having one when that game comes out :p[/QUOTE]

whoops, sorry. I spoke too soon. I heard Winter 07, and someone interpreted it as Jan/Feb 07, but now I hear it is Dec07/Jan08 (which is what I was expecting in the first place). Sorry to bum ya out man. Good news is, the game sounds freakin amazing from the Game Informer article.

Tring to find a PS3 on launch day at at B&M is going to be very tough. I remember going from place to place for the PS2 with no luck at all, and ultimately wound up paying a premium. From then on, I try to pre-order.

I'm going to pre-order and camp. I need to get a PS3 at launch so I can sell it to buy my own. Otherwise I ain't getting one till it drops way down. Hopefully my Brother can come with me. I can get stuff for us and he can hold our place in line, he's bigger than me by quite a stretch, don't think anyone would cut him.

Eh, if I had the money and a strong desire for a PS3, I'd see what I could work out with the mom and pop I bought my 360 at back in March. I graduated with the owners son, and am good friends with him.

Of course, for them to have gotten 360s when they came out, it would have cost them more to go thru their distributor and lost a lot of money. So instead they found stores that sold them, bought them, and then resold in the store with 3 extra games for i think 550. Granted I'm against bundles period, but she runs an excellent store with tons of rare shit. So i felt good about supporting them. Reminds me, I need to ask my friend how they're gonna be doing the PS3 thing, just for cusriousities sake...

[quote name='dpatel']whoops, sorry. I spoke too soon. I heard Winter 07, and someone interpreted it as Jan/Feb 07, but now I hear it is Dec07/Jan08 (which is what I was expecting in the first place). Sorry to bum ya out man. Good news is, the game sounds freakin amazing from the Game Informer article.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm sure it will be amazing, I just hope it comes out 2007...if not at least MGS4 is :)

[quote name='whoknows']Oh, I'm sure it will be amazing, I just hope it comes out 2007...if not at least MGS4 is :)[/QUOTE]

yes.. fall 2007 will indeed be amazing. Sorry to take this a bit off topic but: Have you read the new GI article on DMC4? I've seen tidbits of it online and it looks like they are trying for online co-op. That would be well worth the wait if they can do that.

[quote name='David85']They also don't care about preorders. Just ask and you ill be handed one, most of the time.[/QUOTE]

I've never seen my local Wal-Mart take pre-orders on systems. They do have the reserve cards by the videogames for upcoming titles that you can put money down on.

[quote name='D4rkN1ght']so how do you define which side of the store to line up on? whats stopping some one from being first on the other side and saying that he was first?.[/QUOTE]

The management is pretty squared away when it comes to system launches. I waited in line for the 360 launch and it was very organized. I got there around 6 p.m. and every hour the Manager came over to reiterate the process, which was at 10 p.m. they would hand out numbered cards and at midnight would sell systems by the number system. They provided chairs and had an organized line and as for cutting in line the customers nipped that shit in the bud. Also we were limited to one system per customer that is why I'm taking my wife along this go around.

[quote name='akilshohen']Only reason I'm even considering waiting and putting all that debt on my card is to resell it.[/QUOTE]

indeed. I can't see myself wanting a system so much that I would put myself through that. I do want to get the PS3 eventually (maybe fall 07), but this PS3 system will be solely for profit. Then again, if it isn't selling for the much (doubtful), ill just keep it.

How early should I get there? I mean if I'm going to be waiting for a long time to get one anyway getting there earlier than the rest of the competition to guaruntee me one would be logical.

I don't see myself waiting in line for a PS3, I am one of those people that waits past the initial first run of systems most of the time (except for nintendo systems, which outside my original DS I have never had a problem with). I know I can buy an extended warranty and all, but to spend 700 bucks (after taxes, 1st game, etc.) I want it to work, and if it doesn't I want to be able to replace/repair it within a few days.

Also, my first goal is to have and 50"-60" HDTV before I get the PS3. After hearing about people playing games like Oblivion, MotoGP, and GRAW on a 45"+ widescreen HDTV, its seems like I am missing out on the biggest advantages these systems have over the PS2/Xbox. My current 23" TV/VCR combo I got for Christmas 10 years ago just isn't cutting it anymore.

To all you that wait in line, I salute you :applause:

[quote name='dpatel']yes.. fall 2007 will indeed be amazing. Sorry to take this a bit off topic but: Have you read the new GI article on DMC4? I've seen tidbits of it online and it looks like they are trying for online co-op. That would be well worth the wait if they can do that.[/QUOTE]
Ugh...my GI's always take forever to come, and since DMC4 is the cover story I want it to come badly.

But online co-op... :drool: :drool::drool: That...would...be so badass.

Wow all these waiting in line stories are kind of scary.
Ugh, it would get so annoying if someone was just waiting there and then let all their friends cut.

What would be a good time to go in order to be first in line?

I was thinking mid afternoon 16th.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Wow all these waiting in line stories are kind of scary.
Ugh, it would get so annoying if someone was just waiting there and then let all their friends cut.

I was thinking mid afternoon 16th.[/quote]

Mid afternooon? Ugh. I was hoping to get there no earlier than 6pm the day before launch.

[quote name='SpikeSpiegel']Mid afternooon? Ugh. I was hoping to get there no earlier than 6pm the day before launch.[/quote]

Hmm I dunno. I was thinking maybe 12-3:00 somewhere in there.

I want to get their first sort of, so I dont have to deal with cutters.

I also have 2 other friends going with me that SAY they want to wait the whole time... but they tend to just talk alot of game and then back out at the end.

Although one of my friends went to E3 with me. So I think he might be legit.

Some people camped out at Comp Usa, at the store near my house, people went at 12 midnight, or over night and got numbers, and then they were allowed to come back in the morning, and got the 360, the store had about 10 premium and 5 core 360s.

Any one in los angeles camping out???PM ME...to see if we can set up something and back each other up during the camping fiasco???Culver City,los angeles (adj)....Would be cool to meet a fellow CAG.:D

[quote name='johngonzalo21']Any one in los angeles camping out???PM ME...to see if we can set up something and back each other up during the camping fiasco???Culver City,los angeles (adj)....Would be cool to meet a fellow CAG.:D[/quote]
I live near LA.

I'll probably just go to the one near my house (Thousand Oaks Bestbuy) unless a store in LA has more consoles.

But I dont think I want to sit on the streets of LA all night with $600+ in my pocket...

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Wow all these waiting in line stories are kind of scary.

I was thinking mid afternoon 16th.[/QUOTE]

As for cutting I've never had to deal with it because I typically am in position 1-5. Also depending on your area and popularity of SONY systems, you might want to research a time.

[quote name='SpikeSpiegel']Mid afternooon? Ugh. I was hoping to get there no earlier than 6pm the day before launch.[/QUOTE]

Like I stated above this all depends on your region. I lucked out with the 360 launch and got in line first at around 5:30 p.m. at Wal-Mart, but I think it is because MS isn't as popular as SONY. I'm going to my Wal-Mart around 6 a.m. to recon, but this is because I want to gurantee myself 2 systems. If you're lucky the price might push some away allowing you to show up later, but you also have to think by showing up later you risk getting a 20GB over a 60GB.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I live near LA.

I'll probably just go to the one near my house (Thousand Oaks Bestbuy) unless a store in LA has more consoles.

But I dont think I want to sit on the streets of LA all night with $600+ in my pocket...[/quote]

I'm gonna take my chances at the EB in Westwood. I'll probably have to skip out on classes to do so though. :bouncy:

I did the Wal-Mart thing for the PS2 launch (similar launch numbers) and got there around 4:30 pm with a friend. We were 9 and 10 in the line and that particular Wal-Mart had around 20 systems.

Early the next morning (around 4:30 am), I packed up one of those fold-out camping chairs and went over to Best Buy. The place was deserted except for one BB employee standing outside the door. I went up to him and asked him about the PS2 launch and he handed me a ticket (number 61). He said to come back when the store opened (10:00 am) and if my ticket number was low enough, I could buy a PS2. I knew that they had 72 systems so I was good to go.

I then drove over to Circuit City and saw 7 or 8 people in line there. I set up my chair and plopped down in the 9th spot. I asked around if anyone knew how many systems there were and the general consensus was 13 so I was set there as well. Someone from CC was supposed to come at around 7:00 am to hand out vouchers to buy some PS2 bundle. They actually arrived at 8:00 and handed out the tickets.

Someone did end up cutting in line at CC (in the number 2 spot ahead of his "friend") and things got really heated. I thought there was going to be a brawl for sure. I think the only thing that stopped that from happening was that the dude looked like a straight thug and the guys he cut on didn't really want to die for a game machine. I was pretty sure I was still going to make the cut so I just kept my spot and did end up with a PS2 from there as well.

Good times, good times.

I'm hoping to just hit Wal-Mart for the PS3 and then BIN it for $1500.

I think the high price may keep the moms away this fall, but there will be enough early adopters to fill the lines. I'm hoping to preorder...I'm not going the line route on launchday.

CAN WE GET A SOLID LIST ON WHOS GOING TO HAVE EM, WHERE YOU CAN PREORDER? AND WHERE TO CAMP? or is it too hard?

also anyone in SF Bay area let meknow

[quote name='edallasplanet']I will just preorder a PS3 at Gamestop :)[/quote]You're lying,because gamestop told me at the end of this month to the beginning of oct and that's when they'll know when you can pre order it or not.

[quote name='lacosteboi07']You're lying,because gamestop told me at the end of this month to the beginning of oct and that's when they'll know when you can pre order it or not.[/quote]

He said "he will pre-order" not "he did pre-order"

[quote name='D4rkN1ght']CAN WE GET A SOLID LIST ON WHOS GOING TO HAVE EM, WHERE YOU CAN PREORDER? AND WHERE TO CAMP? or is it too hard?

also anyone in SF Bay area let meknow[/quote]

Dude, it's too early. Settle doon.

The best thing I heard and the funniest about line up
s is that someon waited like 8 hours for their 360 and when they were going to their car they got jacked right out of their hands! man I really hope this doesn't happen to PS3's.

[quote name='Sejad']The best thing I heard and the funniest about line up
s is that someon waited like 8 hours for their 360 and when they were going to their car they got jacked right out of their hands! man I really hope this doesn't happen to PS3's.[/quote]

I don't see how that is remotely funny.

When I got my PS2 at BestBuy on launch, there was a line of us with tickets (who were actually going to get PS2s) and a line of people who were waiting for who the hell knows what reason, that were not going to get a PS2.

When those of us with PS2s were walking out the front doors, we were being accosted by the "non-PS2" people. They were offering us money, calling us "assholes" (I have no idea why), and just generally being douche bags. It was nuts.

If I manage to score a PS3 at a midnight launch, I am going to stay in the store until my ride arrives at the front door so I can jump in and get the hell out.

[quote name='lebowsky']I don't see how that is remotely funny.

When I got my PS2 at BestBuy on launch, there was a line of us with tickets (who were actually going to get PS2s) and a line of people who were waiting for who the hell knows what reason, that were not going to get a PS2.

When those of us with PS2s were walking out the front doors, we were being accosted by the "non-PS2" people. They were offering us money, calling us "assholes" (I have no idea why), and just generally being douche bags. It was nuts.

If I manage to score a PS3 at a midnight launch, I am going to stay in the store until my ride arrives at the front door so I can jump in and get the hell out.[/quote]Yea, I camped out for the 360 last yr at best buy,and soon as the store opened people who just got there were taking cuts,when people who stood and camped out all night walked home empty handed. I was like fuck that shit, aint nobody cutting in front on me I didn't do this shit for nothing, If I have to fight I will fight even if I get my ass whooped,but nobody is cutting in front of me,but I did get mines without any problems,but I felt bad for the girl that was behind me she was very nice gave me a blanket and she was trying to get a 360 for her god sons and she didn't get anything,because of ruthless cutters. But you have to be careful sadly to say. Some people will kill for a game console and it's not worth it.

If I manage to score a PS3 at a midnight launch, I am going to stay in the store until my ride arrives at the front door so I can jump in and get the hell out.[/quote]Yea, I camped out for the 360 last yr at best buy,and soon as the store opened people who just got there were taking cuts,when people who stood and camped out all night walked home empty handed. I was like fuck that shit, aint nobody cutting in front on me I didn't do this shit for nothing, If I have to fight I will fight even if I get my ass whooped,but nobody is cutting in front of me,but I did get mines without any problems,but I felt bad for the girl that was behind me she was very nice gave me a blanket and she was trying to get a 360 for her god sons and she didn't get anything,because of ruthless cutters. But you have to be careful sadly to say. Some people will kill for a game console and it's not worth it. I'm

If I manage to score a PS3 at a midnight launch, I am going to stay in the store until my ride arrives at the front door so I can jump in and get the hell out.[/quote]Yea, I camped out for the 360 last yr at best buy,and soon as the store opened people who just got there were taking cuts,when people who stood and camped out all night walked home empty handed. I was like fuck that shit, aint nobody cutting in front on me I didn't do this shit for nothing, If I have to fight I will fight even if I get my ass whooped,but nobody is cutting in front of me,but I did get mines without any problems,but I felt bad for the girl that was behind me she was very nice gave me a blanket and she was trying to get a 360 for her god sons and she didn't get anything,because of ruthless cutters. But you have to be careful sadly to say. Some people will kill for a game console and it's not worth it. I'm really hoping I get to pre order mines instead of going through all that madness,but camping out can be fun if you're around the right people,but cold here in Michigan.

[quote name='lacosteboi07']but camping out can be fun if you're around the right people,but cold here in Michigan.[/quote]

That is why I will probably do the 24 hr wal*mart deal, and then if that doesn't pan out, check out the Best Buys...

Ok For everybody who wants a PS3 gooooooooo to WALMART its funny when the xbox 360 came out people thought that they can just walk in the day of the release of 360 and to see the dumb look on there face when they read the SOLD OUT sign was real funny to me.

For a person to really think that way they should get slapped I waited in line from 5:00pm to 12:00 midnight they had 60 game units they had 34 premiums and 26 core. The first person in line was there at 5:00am that is some crazy you no what.

But i dont understand and this happened for the xbox 360 but why not go to walmart i mean if you are willing to wait in line why not wait in a building not outside i know once i got my xbox 360 i drove around by bestbuy target other stores and i saw people standing there in the dam cold and the bad thing was they had to wait till at least 7:00am until the stores opened up.

I know people have to work but dam either take off that day or have one of your friends that is not doing nothing for the day wait in the walmart line for you untill you get off work all you have to to is offer him or her lunch and dinner a few extra bucks it depends how your friends are but dam dont wait in the cold

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO TO WALMART

I Dont Know What System U Want Ps3 Or Wii Maybe Both Also I Dont Know If U Are Willing To Wait In Line But If U Really Think That By Preording Out Gamestop Gamecrazy Eb What Ever That U Are Going To Get This System U Have To Dam Well Be Number 1 2 Or 3 On That List To Get One. My Friend Is A Manager At Gamestop And He Told Me That It May Be A Case Of De Ja Vu When The Ps3 Comes Out Meaning That They Might Have Problems Like They Had With The Xbox 360 A Hugh Shortage. My Friend Who Works At Gamestop Also Says That People At Eb And The Other Stores Including Gamestop Would Till You Anything To Get That $50 Preorder Money So They Will Till You Yeah We Are Getting A Large Shippment When They Know They Are Really Getting Sh--

I Till You What There Are Alot Of Assholes Out There Who Like A Post Written Above Some Where How People Will Wait For The Person To Come Out With There New System Than They Will Jump Them And Take There Stuff. I Remember When The Ps2 Came Out I Had My Reserved So The Next Morning Went To The Mall And Dammmmmmm It Was Busy As Hell Lines Out The Ass Meaning Real Long And It Was Only Like 8:00am But They Had Like A Whole Dam Army Of Cops Each Person Who Had Ps2 Was Escorted By Two Cops It Was Crazy. As For When I Got The Xbox 360 At Walmart They Had Hell Of Alot Of Cops Posted Outside Of The Stores.

Now For The Ps3 I Dont Care How People Are Bitching About The High Price I Am One Of Those People Lol $600 Thats Alot But Anyways Its Still Going To Be Hell Just To Get This System And It Will Sell Out To Reserve It U Are Most Likely Not Going To Get It Untill Monthhhhhhhhssssssssss Later Unless U Are Like On The Top 10 Of The Preorder List And That Is Most Likely Not Going To Happen.

So Do What I Am Going To Do If You Want To Wait In Line For A Gooooood While. Take Off The Day Of Work Or Whatever And Go With Your Friends Or Girl. You Should Be Able To Convince Your Friends To Go.

Notttttttteee You Know That There Is Always Somebody That Is Willing To Pay You Some Good Money For Your Spot Somebody Offered Me Hundred Dollars For My Spot In Line. And Also Like At Bestbuy They Give U Tickets And People Would Drive Around Offering Alot Of Money For There Tickets. So That Would Give Me A Good Reason To Chill With My Friends For A Few Hours Acting Like I Am Going To Buy A Systems But Really Waiting For The Offer For Who Wants To Buy My Spot In Line.

But Do Like Me Wait In Line At Walmart In A Building Not Outside Where Its Probably Going To Be Cold As Hell

[quote name='D4rkN1ght']so is it a for sure thing at a 24/7 wal mart will give out at 12am?[/QUOTE]
YEP I BOUGHT AN XBOX 360 AT WALMART I WAITED IN LINE FROM 5:OOPM TO 12:00 MIDNIGHT ITS A TOSS UP HOW EARLY TO GO BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE SAYING THE PRICE IS TO HIGH BUT THAT DOESNT MATTER ITS THE PS3 ITS GOING TO BE HELL TRYING TO GET ONE

bread's done
Back