Star Ocean IV - The Last Hope - Gen. Discussion & Info

chubbyninja1319

CAGiversary!
This game is coming out on March 3, 2009 in the States. It looks like an unbelievabley good JRPG with beautiful graphics and a pretty fun battle system. Yet, no hype at all. Nadda. Here's some link and info on the game:

Gamestop and Amazon listings

Trailers via Gametrailers.com

Here's the latest trailer off of youtube:

[youtube]Q9xxbgOp8TY[/youtube]

So far, this is my most anticipated title of 2009. Anyone else excited?

Updated 12/28/08 w/ new screens:

Famitsu and Scrawlfx.com, whatever that is. Never heard of that site before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I could agree with that statement. Even though I enjoyed IU. I just think that the JRPG is dead, which pains me to no end.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I guess I could agree with that statement. Even though I enjoyed IU. I just think that the JRPG is dead, which pains me to no end.[/quote]
Everythings rush rush rush these days, which is understandable. I'd love some games like LO and IU for the PSP, something i can sit on the couch/bed with and play. I remember the PS1 and PS2 days where i would put 50+ hours into my RPGs...now-a-days, i'm lucky if i get more than 20 before losing interest or wanting to play something else.

Because SE's last two RPG's on the system have been either mediocre (IU) or a technical mess (TLR.) Those two games have set SE's 360 quality bar at a very low level.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Because SE's last two RPG's on the system have been either mediocre (IU) or a technical mess (TLR.) Those two games have set SE's 360 quality bar at a very low level.[/QUOTE]

This. I'll be renting this one where I bought The Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery.

i think the main problem is it was originally announced as a Ps3 exclusive or a dual release and now its a 360 exclusive.

j/k sorta...

the only 2 games I want to play on the 360 are this and maybe halo 3 just to finish the story from the first 2.

sadly if it doesn't do fairly well they wont take the time to port it over neither.

though I really want to play this game i already have quite a backlog on PS3, PS2 and WII so 300 some dollar for 2 games and somehow finding the time...

alas...

[quote name='MSUHitman']Because SE's last two RPG's on the system have been either mediocre (IU) or a technical mess (TLR.) Those two games have set SE's 360 quality bar at a very low level.[/QUOTE]

This.

JRPGs on the 360 are known for their quantity, not quality. I think everyone is expecting SO4 to suck as much as the last batch of JRPGs on the 360. My 60 bucks is going to WKC and i may borrow SO4 or get it on clearance 2 weeks after it hits and sells 2k copies in the US like most JRPGs on the 360.

I see what you're saying, but shouldn't each game be judged on it's own? It's kind of a shame if a good game doesn't get noticed because the game that came before it blew. Plus, wasn't IU recognized as Tri Ace getting used to the Unreal engine? I could be totally wrong on that.

[quote name='blitz6speed'] My 60 bucks is going to WKC and i may borrow SO4 or get it on clearance 2 weeks after it hits and sells 2k copies in the US like most JRPGs on the 360.[/QUOTE]

Good point. I actually paid $60 for IU. :wall:

because the characters look like possessed puppets that would eat me in my sleep. also, there hasn't been one undeniably good jrpg out yet this gen. I know, everyone has their opinions about TLR, LO, and ToV, but each game is pretty flawed in its own way.

The story of Star Ocean Till the End of Time on the Ps2 was terrible and kind of ruined the series for me.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']So far, this is my most anticipated title of 2009. Anyone else excited?[/QUOTE]
Haven't played SO3, have you?

[quote name='Rerujnoc']The story of Star Ocean Till the End of Time on the Ps2 was terrible and kind of ruined the series for me.[/quote]

This. I loved SO2, but 3 was horrible. Combined with the low quality SE rpgs already released so far on the 360 and switching from being a PS3 exclusive to a 360 exclusive probably killed any hype the game had. Hopefully it'll be decent, but it seems the Tales series is where the good jrpgs are now.

Yeah, SE has sorta been missing a lot lately. I couldn't even finish FF12 and that was the best non-portable release they have had and that was several years ago. Seems like the bulk of the good games are just old games being updated and pushed on handhelds. Hopefully Star Ocean delivers, but I think everyone is correct in not getting their hopes up.

Maybe they should get Level 5 to do some more stuff for them. They actually took one of their franchises and turned it in the right direction (DQ8); I think they could do a killer Mana game, and that series could definitely use a good game.

[quote name='Thongsy']This. I loved SO2, but 3 was horrible. Combined with the low quality SE rpgs already released so far on the 360 and switching from being a PS3 exclusive to a 360 exclusive probably killed any hype the game had. Hopefully it'll be decent, but it seems the Tales series is where the good jrpgs are now.[/QUOTE]

why would changing systems kill the hype? there aren't any jrpgs on the PS3....

[quote name='Rerujnoc']The story of Star Ocean Till the End of Time on the Ps2 was terrible and kind of ruined the series for me.[/QUOTE]

never got to play the first 2 games so i guess i didn't have that perspective. me and my wife played through 3 together and absolutely loved it.

thats why we were so disappointed when we heard it was a xbox360 exclusive...

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I see what you're saying, but shouldn't each game be judged on it's own? It's kind of a shame if a good game doesn't get noticed because the game that came before it blew. Plus, wasn't IU recognized as Tri Ace getting used to the Unreal engine? I could be totally wrong on that.[/quote]

I thought TLR was the one on the Unreal engine. Wasn't IU just under an internal engine at SE?

Thing is for me the last really good RPG SE did was Kingdom Hearts 2 (and that's more an action-RPG.) I didn't like FF12's battle system. IU I got the week of release for $38 with a Gamestop gift card and I never played it (sold it on Gamefly since it was still worth 1000 points there.) Figure I will play it when it drops to $20. The Last Remnant is a broken game that will only work if you install it to the hard drive.

While some say quantity rules over quality on the 360 JRPG selection, I will put Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, and Eternal Sonata against any other 3 JRPG's on any system. It's sad that SE can only equal the quality of Blue Dragon (a decent, but flawed game.)

So many people are getting burned by SE's RPG lineup they're scared to put out full price on one of their games in fear they pull an Ubisoft and drop the price less than a month later, especially since SO3 got such poor reviews. SO4 also comes out a week before Resident Evil 5, and just 2 weeks after Street Fighter IV.

I know where my game money is going in Feb./March and it's to SFIV and RE 5.

[quote name='ninja dog']why would changing systems kill the hype? there aren't any jrpgs on the PS3....[/quote]

Valkyria Chronicles waves hi as the port of Eternal Sonata looks on.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Valkyria Chronicles waves hi as the port of Eternal Sonata looks on.[/QUOTE]

and don't forget Enchanted Arms. The point was that the PS3 isn't the Jrpg system this gen, though many awkwardly and stubbornly hold out hope.

While some say quantity rules over quality on the 360 JRPG selection, I will put Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, and Eternal Sonata against any other 3 JRPG's on any system. It's sad that SE can only equal the quality of Blue Dragon (a decent, but flawed game.)

1. SMT Nocturne
2. FFX
3. SMT DDS 1
4. SMT DDS 2
5. Persona 3
6. Persona 4
7. FFX-2
8. FFXII

oh wait, you said 3.

also:

1. FF 3 (VI)
2. Chrono Trigger
3. FF 2 (IV)

1. FFVII
2. Suikoden II
3. Persona 2

1. Golden Sun
2. FFT Advance
3. Riviera

1. FF Crisis Core
2. Star Ocean
3. Jeanne D'Arc

and all those systems have even more Jrpgs.

[quote name='blitz6speed']This.

JRPGs on the 360 are known for their quantity, not quality. I think everyone is expecting SO4 to suck as much as the last batch of JRPGs on the 360. My 60 bucks is going to WKC and i may borrow SO4 or get it on clearance 2 weeks after it hits and sells 2k copies in the US like most JRPGs on the 360.[/quote]

wkc sucks,it got low scores ins famitsu. SO 4 will be good since it's a good series,also Lost Odyssey is a good jrpg and also it sold well,over 200k in the first month in the u.s. yea,i'm sure that's bad....:roll:

[quote name='Spartan V07']wkc sucks,it got low scores ins famitsu. SO 4 will be good since it's a good series,also Lost Odyssey is a good jrpg and also it sold well,over 200k in the first month in the u.s. yea,i'm sure that's bad....:roll:[/quote]

So you're saying that Infinite Undiscovery is the best thing ever then, right? Trusting Famitsu is like believing Molyneux saying Fable II was bug free at launch, a mistake.

I'm actually looking forward to this. I'm gonna pick it up first week. I really enjoyed Star Ocean 3, and I'm dying to play a console RPG. I've barely played any since I got my PS3/360. There's barely anything to play.

I'm looking forward to this title, but won't be dropping $60 for it. $35-40 seems like a good range, though that may change if they release a demo.

[quote name='floormat']never got to play the first 2 games so i guess i didn't have that perspective. me and my wife played through 3 together and absolutely loved it.

thats why we were so disappointed when we heard it was a xbox360 exclusive...[/quote]

If you are able to, I would recommend playing SO: 2nd Story. I love that game. BTW, It's being released for the PSP in January.

[quote name='Blackout']I'm actually looking forward to this. I'm gonna pick it up first week. I really enjoyed Star Ocean 3, and I'm dying to play a console RPG. I've barely played any since I got my PS3/360. There's barely anything to play.[/quote]

I really enjoyed the 2nd game but was kind of disappointed by the 3rd. I actually got pretty deep into that game until I got to a point where, all of a sudden, I was doing minimal damage to regular enemies and they were demolishing my team. I figured it was a glitch and just gave up on the game. I felt so unsatisfied after putting that many hours into the 3rd SO and never finishing the game.

I am looking forward to this new game and will definitely pick it up. It's just that I'm not sure if it will be on release day or if I will wait for a sale from Amazon 2 or 3 weeks later.

I haven't played any of the other Star Ocean's. But, with this being a prequel, I'm thinking that I don't need to worry about that too much.

March is going to be a big media month....this, SFIV, RE5 (even though I'm not buying it, not interested, seems like more of the same ole), and The Watchmen movie.

I still can't believe so many people hate IU so much. Have you all played past the 2-3 hour mark? It's a completely different game after that.

I detested star ocean 3, still one of the worst games I have ever completed, but i'm looking forward to SO4 even with Edge Maverick....sigh

I'm curious to find out the length of time this game will take to beat (just main quests, no side quests). I'm just about done with Chrono Trigger and 20 hours seems to be my max for a JRPG.

Very excited that this got moved up! Only a week after SFIV. This is a good spring for gaming.

I just wish there was more of a push. No preorder goodies. No collectors/special/limited edition. No hype at all.

I'm looking forward for this game. I have never played SO3.

According to TriAce it will take 40 hours to finish, and it is built using the same internal engine used on UI, which was a competent engine, except for lip syncing.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Very excited that this got moved up! Only a week after SFIV. This is a good spring for gaming.

I just wish there was more of a push. No preorder goodies. No collectors/special/limited edition. No hype at all.[/quote]
If this game is out a week after SFIV, I think Star Ocean will fall under the radar. I'm guessing it will be quickly overshadowed, and prices will drop soon.

I really want Star Ocean, but will hold out for $40.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Because SE's last two RPG's on the system have been either mediocre (IU) or a technical mess (TLR.) Those two games have set SE's 360 quality bar at a very low level.[/quote]
I agree that both IU and TLR were disappointing, but I still think SO4 will be a great game, well lets hope :D

I love bright iconic animation but another typical animu girl aimed at 13 year olds just dont fly. I seen that character get alot flack on other boards as this game became more revealed. Especially on 360 where you need to make a challenging game with mature character/storyline with primary colors if your ever going to get the "kiddie" image dispelled and not have these titles sell so terrible compared to bleak gun toting muted gray games.

[quote name='eddieismail']I'm looking forward for this game. I have never played SO3.

According to TriAce it will take 40 hours to finish, and it is built using the same internal engine used on UI, which was a competent engine, except for lip syncing.[/QUOTE]

IU was designed by like third-tier Tri-Ace... SO4 has the big guns. It should be a much better product.

[quote name='nnthomas']IU was designed by like third-tier Tri-Ace... SO4 has the big guns. It should be a much better product.[/QUOTE]

That remains to be scene. Sales wise, this thing has disaster written all over it. Released in the same time frame as killzone 2, street fighter 4, resident evil 5, etc. Expect it on clearance at target within weeks of release.

waiting for this... Wishes there was above average 2-4 person online co-op RPG coming out that you can adventure together with friends.. that would be insane.. and i do not mean two-worlds.. or a mmo.. lol

Isn't this supposed to be the last Star Ocean game?
I never played any of the previous Star Oceans, but most of my friends say SO3 was "meh".

I throughly enjoyed Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fable 2 and the only JRPG's I got on the 360 was Eternal Sonata, Enchanted Arms (which I actually enjoyed, so stfu) and Blue Dragon.
I just picked up Lost Odyssey for $20 at the shack but probably won't beat it anytime soon (Still playing the hell out of left 4 dead, have Gears 2 to play a lot of and my wife is finishing Persona 4)

Maybe I'll put this on my wishlist if it gets insanely favorable personal reviews or 9's left and right on Gamespot and IGN.

I've also never played any of the Star Ocean games, but this one has me kinda interested....infinite undiscovery was pretty weak in terms of other RPGs I've played on the 360 though...so I won't be surprised if the game isn't too great.

Recently played through "Till the end of time" Which ever one that was and the combat just blew my mind of how fun it was. The ending was totally 'Meh' so I hope they improve on it. From the trailer it looks like the voice acting is going to be bad, but that never bothers me all too much in JRPGs. Anyone know if it has local co-op?

bread's done
Back