Star Ocean (PS3) $18.59

Ok. I don't play a ton of RPGs and I remember watching the review for this title on gametrailers and thinking, "meh". I like FFXIII (still working my way through that) but i'm only really playing that because of my sentimental recollection of FFX. The experience is what i'm after with games - gameplay and battle system doesn't really matter - so, is this a memorable EXPERIENCE? Sorry to totally threadjack but i'm eager to get information from those who've played through this.

[quote name='Heavyd814life']Ok. I don't play a ton of RPGs and I remember watching the review for this title on gametrailers and thinking, "meh". I like FFXIII (still working my way through that) but i'm only really playing that because of my sentimental recollection of FFX. The experience is what i'm after with games - gameplay and battle system doesn't really matter - so, is this a memorable EXPERIENCE? Sorry to totally threadjack but i'm eager to get information from those who've played through this.[/QUOTE]

sorry i cant help you with that, i havent played my copy of this. But this video convince me to buy a copy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-KUB7L6DTE

The story is not great at all, and the poorly translated/American voice acting will make you cringe at times. Thank god for the japanese voice/eng subs being in the PS3 version. The characters, at times, are memorable though. But the gameplay is the strongest point of this game, imo.

Anyone recommend the ps3 version if I already own the 360 that i got for super cheap anyway($5)? The changes don't seem that great, but have read that all the disc swapping at the end of the game gets very annoying and not having dual audio is pretty bad as well.

Bought this during the Newegg $15.99 sale. If you're a JRPG gamer, let alone a Star Ocean fan, definitely worth it at this price...without a doubt. It may not be perfect, but it is definitely an enjoyable, worthwhile experience...and a lengthy one at that.

It's a shame but I think I gotta pass on this. Liked the one on PS1 and completed it. But this backlog of mine just can't handle a 50-100 hour RPG. I already bought MGS4, Fallout 3, and FF13 but haven't started them due to time commitments.

$18.59 for this game is a really good price if you consider cost/gameplay time. That being said if your backlog is huge, I would say just skip it, this game is really long even if you want to just run through it. If you're going for trophies....you've got your work cut out for you, maybe 80hrs +.

hmm. still no ps3 but have been collecting a backlog for it! I wasn't too impressed with what I did play of SO3 (Till The End of Time) but might have to gave that another try...eventually

[quote name='Ruitakim']$18.59 for this game is a really good price if you consider cost/gameplay time. That being said if your backlog is huge, I would say just skip it, this game is really long even if you want to just run through it. If you're going for trophies....you've got your work cut out for you, maybe 80hrs +.[/QUOTE]

I collect games and it's still tempting, but my PS3 backlog sits at 45 games (with 3 more I just bought), the Wii awaits with 34, and that doesn't include the DS or any older consoles. Trops are nice but I won't force myself to plat/100% anything if it's too long or I don't wanna play that far. I guess it's just a case of do I spend $20 on a game that's probably good and worth having, but won't see any play for a long time if ever?

Tempting, but I have a bunch of RPGs I haven't played yet that are probably better than this including Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, Dragon Age, FF Anthology, FFVIII, Chrono Cross, Eternal Sonata, Xenosaga, and Star Ocean: Till The End of Time...

Not being able to save hours at a time kills this for me. The review makes me want the game but that save system sucks. Hey can you at least pause the cutscenes? God bless the games that let you pause and save during cutscenes.

Not sure why but when I added this to my cart it said underneath the game title "For Norman's wishlist"

Not sure what that means as it's never appeared on there before, deleted item and re-added it and it was gone.

In any case, I think I might of bought the last one priced at $18.59. I think the next price up is still only $18.90 from a different seller, still fulfilled by Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mitnosi']Not sure why but when I added this to my cart it said underneath the game title "For Norman's wishlist"

Not sure what that means as it's never appeared on there before, deleted item and re-added it and it was gone.

In any case, I think I might of bought the last one priced at $18.59. I think the next price up is still only $18.90 from a different seller, still fulfilled by Amazon.[/QUOTE]

They have it again in-stock for $18.59

I'm still debating for this one. Had it come out on PS3 when it was originally launched with the drought of RPG at that time it would of easily been day 1 purchase. Now is hard to justify buying it with the huge backlog of games.

I'm not a fan of these types of games. Played this for a few hours last night and almost stuck with it. Graphics are colorful. Japanese voices is the way to go. battle system is cool

i bought this last friday, its arriving today can i get some money back from amazon? I purchased it for 1 of: $24.35 any one??

[quote name='Jinchuriki']i bought this last friday, its arriving today can i get some money back from amazon? I purchased it for 1 of: $24.35 any one??[/QUOTE]

I think you can just return it

[quote name='coopx']I think you can just return it[/QUOTE]

Its cool, but i dont want to return it, I looked up their price protection plan. Says they can credit back the difference back the difference if the price changes in less than 30 days. But you must contact them (don't you wish they would just do it automatically). Thanks to the TS, would never have known it dropped a few bucks

[quote name='Jinchuriki']Its cool, but i dont want to return it, I looked up their price protection plan. Says they can credit back the difference back the difference if the price changes in less than 30 days. But you must contact them (don't you wish they would just do it automatically). Thanks to the TS, would never have known it dropped a few bucks[/QUOTE]

Except this price is not by amazon, is a vendor.

Got mine used about a month or two ago from gamestop for $20. Haven't played it yet due to my backlog being so fucking large. :lol: Either way $20 for a Star Ocean game is pretty cool.

cool mine came in the mail today this morning. Wish i could play it right now but i got a test later i need to study for and take at night. Guess spending this friday night playing star ocean. =P

i really enjoyed 2 on the psx and beat it twice. but the ps2 one i put about 30-40 hours into it before i realized that the areas were way too long and repetitive and i didnt really care for the battle system

assuming last hope is more like 3 than 2. and as much as i want to try out this one to see what it's like, im going to have to pass even at less than $20

[quote name='Jinchuriki']i bought this last friday, its arriving today can i get some money back from amazon? I purchased it for 1 of: $24.35 any one??[/QUOTE]
I had this happen to me also. What i did is use the chat system to talk to a rep and asked them about a price change the first person i talked to said i had to buy a new one then return the one I got. I talked to a second rep and asked if they could just credit my account the difference and they did it for me. Also i'm in for one of these for the girlfriend. It's good to have a nerdy gf :D

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']I think I'm just going to buy Xenogears on PSN for $10. Probably a better game haha[/QUOTE]

I'm a fan of the Star Ocean series, but Xenogears is a better buy for sure.

bread's done
Back