Starcraft 2 Beta Codes at GAMESTOP with Pre-order

Apathetic-Irony

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Gamestop is giving out Starcraft 2 Beta Codes when you pre-order Starcraft 2. This means you can get into the beta for $5.

Codes are still going for over $80 on ebay, so if this doesn't catch on, you could probably turn this around for profit too.

I just did this about an hour ago.
[quote name='evenfl0w']It's on the main page of Gamestop's site now.

Reserve StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty and receive an invitation to the StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty beta. Available online and in-store while supplies last. Once you recieve your Beta Code your order cannot be canceled.
Online Customers (web delivery): A code and instructions on how to join the beta will be emailed within 1 business day of when your order was placed.

In-Store Pickup Customers: Please wait 24 hours after your order is placed, then proceed to your store to pick up your beta code.

Store Customers: A beta code will be printed on your pre-order receipt.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Hydro2Oxide'][quote name='help1']If I preorder this in store, can I cancel it later?[/QUOTE]No. After you get the beta key you're locked in but it only costs 5 dollars.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my beta key. I'm not sure how I feel about the 'not being able to cancel' though. I pre-ordered the game before the beta key promotion was announced, and I did so under the impression that I would be able to cancel my order later, if money became an issue. What bothers me the most is that the game doesn't even have a fixed release date.

I wasn't paying attention to the free 3-day shipping part! Yeah I just called and had Gamestop switch it from the 5-10 day value shipping to the free 3-day shipping.

Ok, so I just called to change the shipping and my rep told me that it could take up to 48 hours from last night for everyone who had preordered before the announcement to get their codes.

As always, we've waited this long for Starcraft II. Another day or so before our beta codes isn't going to kill us. Still.... me want it now!

Same Collectors edition and no key yet. Going to call them if I don't get it by tomorrow, also to change to free shipping.

They are probably sending out in batches, and working through the regular editions first, then will do the CE.

[quote name='Greatwhitecoley']Same Collectors edition and no key yet. Going to call them if I don't get it by tomorrow, also to change to free shipping.

They are probably sending out in batches, and working through the regular editions first, then will do the CE.[/QUOTE]

I ordered the CE, and I got mine today. You'll get yours soon, I'm sure. I still need to call about the free shipping though.

i pre-ordered both a regular edition and a collector's edition in two seperate orders on 4/8/10 online and received an email today with both codes.

for those of you that ordered more than one copy of the game, check the single email to see if you got more than one code.

I did it this morning. Ordered the collectors edition with 25% off. Had to put something else in the cart to bring it over $100. There are a bunch of things out there for 2-3 bucks to put you over. My total is $83.21

The website says it can take up to 1 business day for you to get your beta key so don't freak out when you don't get it right away.

Online Customers (web delivery): A code and instructions on how to join the beta will be emailed within 1 business day of when your order was placed.

[quote name='apathylad']I got my beta key. I'm not sure how I feel about the 'not being able to cancel' though. I pre-ordered the game before the beta key promotion was announced, and I did so under the impression that I would be able to cancel my order later, if money became an issue. What bothers me the most is that the game doesn't even have a fixed release date.[/QUOTE]Gamestop has a long history with people pre-ordering games to get the pre-order bonus and then canceling it once they get the bonus. Gamestop loses out on a pre-order, so they're starting to do this to crack down on that.

I think I've seen that on Splinter Cell Conviction and a couple more recent titles that have come out in the last couple of months. There's nothing to stop you from returning the game once it has come out, though this stops you from canceling it before it comes out.

[quote name='help1']If I preorder this in store, can I cancel it later?[/QUOTE]

No. After you get the beta key you're locked in but it only costs 5 dollars.

Preordered the Collectors Edition last week. Unexpectedly received the beta key code this morning. I just threw it up on eBay as a 1 day auction, hoping that I am able to make some $$$ off of it before its exclusivity wears off.

i might be stupid, but does anybody who had a gmail account get it in spam folder? i emptied it this morning and didnt look carefully enough and just want to make sure i didnt accidentally deleted it. my normal order confirmation etc from gamestop goes into the inbox.

Pretty sure it comes from a gamestop email address so you shouldn't get it in your spam folder if other gamestop emails go to your inbox.

[quote name='DontHurt']i might be stupid, but does anybody who had a gmail account get it in spam folder? i emptied it this morning and didnt look carefully enough and just want to make sure i didnt accidentally deleted it. my normal order confirmation etc from gamestop goes into the inbox.[/QUOTE]

It's a case by case kind of thing. Gmail learns from what you delete or mark as spam.

[quote name='Ralsar']Pretty sure it comes from a gamestop email address so you shouldn't get it in your spam folder if other gamestop emails go to your inbox.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, waiting game it is :-({|=

[quote name='Cimpy101']I did it this morning. Ordered the collectors edition with 25% off. Had to put something else in the cart to bring it over $100. There are a bunch of things out there for 2-3 bucks to put you over. My total is $83.21

The website says it can take up to 1 business day for you to get your beta key so don't freak out when you don't get it right away.[/QUOTE]

what's a good filler? btw are there any other coupons for orders under $100 good for the regular version of SCII??

ordered:
starcraft reg :44.99
3d dot hero : 29.99
sakura wars ps2 premium preowned: 20.99

still waiting for my code though.

Will people rush here and post when they've gotten their beta keys if they have ordered between 9pm and noon today? (CST) I want to see if my e-mail filter for my school just deleted the e-mail or not.

just an FYI for those that pre-ordered in store before this announcement:

if you want your key, you need to bring your original receipt back to Gamestop, cancel the preorder, then re-preorder because the key prints up on the receipt

atleast thats how it worked for me in Tennessee

[quote name='Swift900']Preordered the Collectors Edition last week. Unexpectedly received the beta key code this morning. I just threw it up on eBay as a 1 day auction, hoping that I am able to make some $$$ off of it before its exclusivity wears off.[/QUOTE]

Don't you need some type of card or physical item to sell it on ebay?

[quote name='tlwizard']Has anyone ordered two copies of the same edition and gotten two beta keys?[/QUOTE]

I just did this in store.. ran out there to do it really quick, had no problems. two seperate pre-order receipts with keys on them

Just called GS and they confirmed that I will be receiving 2 codes for my Collector's Edition preorders. Decisions, decisions... :)

[quote name='thrasher086']Don't you need some type of card or physical item to sell it on ebay?[/QUOTE]

Yep. I was going to send a printout of the email I received from GameStop, but my listing was removed. Not a big deal either way. Would have been nice to put that money towards my preorder though ;)

I had already ordered 2 collectors edition with the 25OFF code from gamestop... and they were charging an extra fee for weight so I did overnight because it was the best deal. The total as $187, however now they are offering free 3 day shipping with no weight fee. I called them up and had them change my shipping and now the total is $165!!!!!!!

EDIT.. Again: Ugh, gamestop's checkout is so inaccurate. I can't imagine it being that difficult to code a coupon. Finally decided to work and stack.

[quote name='thrasher086']Don't you need some type of card or physical item to sell it on ebay?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but printing out the email they send you works as a physical item.

[quote name='palejackal']Might bid just because that guy is awesome. :)[/QUOTE]

See I decided to sell mine, but I also pre-ordered Starcraft 2 about 2-3 weeks ago so I went into this without the intention of getting a game free (which I am almost doing considering it is going to cost me $18 for the game) or a beta key. I also do not necessarily want to get into the Beta because I want the game to be as fresh as possible whenever I get it after release.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']You definitely don't need to be selling a physical sheet of paper or anything when it comes to beta codes on eBay.[/QUOTE]

They canceled my sale because I didn't have anything physical. I think this may be different because it is a Beta rather than some fancy digital armor or weapon.

Because I have totally sold digital items on ebay (Chocobo pet and ME armor and weapon), but they stopped mine this time and it technically said nothing about being digital, but had a lot to do with copyright on betas and illegal stuff.

[quote name='Kaltic']
See I decided to sell mine, but I also pre-ordered Starcraft 2 about 2-3 weeks ago so I went into this without the intention of getting a game free (which I am almost doing considering it is going to cost me $18 for the game) or a beta key. I also do not necessarily want to get into the Beta because I want the game to be as fresh as possible whenever I get it after release.[/QUOTE]

I don't really mind people scalping - you have something, someone else wants it, it's all good, but at the same time, it's kind of cool that the guy is going out of his way to keep people from paying more than they should.

Well people are going to find out about this even if he did try to help some people out. Some guy is already listing 7 of these.

Yeah, check out:http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/software.html

These are eBay's policies on selling OEM, Academic, and Beta software. All beta software sales are prohibited, as well as the sale of "beta cards" or "access codes" so I imagine that's where these fall into.

I have been testing the risky waters of selling some OEM software and a lot of DLC lately, but I think I'm gonna steer clear of this one. It looks like eBay has basically pulled almost of all of these, paper included or not.

I pre-ordered this two weeks ago and never received a Beta code. My option to cancel the order has been removed. Do I really need to call these guys up to get my code?

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']I pre-ordered this two weeks ago and never received a Beta code. My option to cancel the order has been removed. Do I really need to call these guys up to get my code?[/QUOTE]
i wait till tomorrow to see if i get the code, otherwise i might cancel

bread's done
Back