Starcraft 2 Beta Codes at GAMESTOP with Pre-order

Apathetic-Irony

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Gamestop is giving out Starcraft 2 Beta Codes when you pre-order Starcraft 2. This means you can get into the beta for $5.

Codes are still going for over $80 on ebay, so if this doesn't catch on, you could probably turn this around for profit too.

I just did this about an hour ago.
[quote name='evenfl0w']It's on the main page of Gamestop's site now.

Reserve StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty and receive an invitation to the StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty beta. Available online and in-store while supplies last. Once you recieve your Beta Code your order cannot be canceled.
Online Customers (web delivery): A code and instructions on how to join the beta will be emailed within 1 business day of when your order was placed.

In-Store Pickup Customers: Please wait 24 hours after your order is placed, then proceed to your store to pick up your beta code.

Store Customers: A beta code will be printed on your pre-order receipt.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Hydro2Oxide'][quote name='help1']If I preorder this in store, can I cancel it later?[/QUOTE]No. After you get the beta key you're locked in but it only costs 5 dollars.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I also received a second code, but from amazon. Is the beta code the reason we cant cancel gamestop orders? Or do we just have to call or what.

[quote name='bigsick']I also received a second code, but from amazon. Is the beta code the reason we cant cancel gamestop orders? Or do we just have to call or what.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they dont want people to order the game to get the beta code and then cancel right away. You should be able to go into the store and cancel once the game is released.

Ordered Starcraft 2 CE and BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger @ 2:10PM on April 21.
Used the 25OFF and it was applied to my entire order. -$25 for Starcraft and -$5 for BlazBlue.
I didn't see any specials for shipping so I just opted for the free USA Value shipping method.

I received my Starcraft beta invite code from GameStop Offers at 7:44PM.
I added it to my battle.net account with no problem and downloaded and patched with no issues. Played a quick game this morning before work :)

I also received a code yesterday that has already been used. I emailed both Gamestop and Blizzard, and am waiting for their offices to open so I can call.

What a crappy situation.

[quote name='J7.']fucking shit I guess I'll just have to enter the beta. Also shitty that they scan your computer and look at all your shit. We don't know everything their looking at. Shit shitty shit.[/QUOTE]

what do you mean "they" and who scans the computer??

*edit* wow did not expect a beta code from Amazon.. haha had that preordered since last year. Nuts. I guess I got an extra code I could give to my buddy.

[quote name='BarrettSan']I also received a code yesterday that has already been used. I emailed both Gamestop and Blizzard, and am waiting for their offices to open so I can call.

What a crappy situation.[/QUOTE]

Have you heard anything back yet?

Damn, just got off the phone, they are definitely NOT letting the 25OFF work for this anymore. At least they let me cancel when it jacked the price up $25 after clicking purchase.

Just got off the phone with their CS. My beta code was used so they're sending me another one. Hopefully I'll get it sometime today. Also I tried to get the 3 day shipping on my 25%off order, but the rep said I could only get one promo to work, the 25off or the free shipping.

[quote name='buckythekat']son of a.....

just got an email from Amazon with a beta key, so I'm stuck with a preorder I can't cancel at GameStop for no good reason :bomb:[/QUOTE]

why not just get cancel the amazon one? that's what i did (got the beta code after i cancel :lol:) the gamestop one was cheaper with the 25off and 3day shipping

[quote name='Electro']is anyone still able to get 25 off with the CE?[/QUOTE]

I got the 25 off with the CE yesterday at 1PM EST, if that helps at all.

[quote name='Vcize']Have you heard anything back yet?[/QUOTE]

The wait time was 45 minutes, so I decided to give Gamestop customer support a try. They told me they were aware of the problem and are issuing working keys to those who called in. They confirmed my order info, then put in a request for the new key, which they said might take up to 2 days to process.

As long as I get a working key within a few days, that's fine with me... can't wait to jump in!

[quote name='RolePlayer']I just got the "we apologize for the inconvenience" email with a new code. People should be getting them now.[/QUOTE]

Same. Downloading installer now :D

Anyone who has a 2nd beta key and that doesn't need would be willing to give it to a poor guy who hasnt the chance to leave in the USA and thus get a preorder key ? Thanks ! :D

Alkar, I should be able to help you out. I'm waiting on a key from GS. Was gonna give it to a buddy but he got one from Amazon. If you still need one after they send it, I've got no problem forking it over.

When they say "order cannot be cancelled" does that mean I have to buy it, or can I just not pick it up? I don't care on wasting 5 bucks for a beta or demo, like what I did with the MHT demo a few weeks ago, but I'd rather not spend 50.

Awesome, Starcraft 2 pre-order is no longer eligible for %-off offers.
This apparently just happened as it didn't say that on the page when I added it to my cart 15 minutes ago. :/
I'm never going to be able to use my $25 gift card and not feel bad about it.

Update on my issue:

The 'used' Beta key was just an error on Gamestop's part. They sent me a new code this morning via email.

My normal edition SC2 came out to $45 + tax with the other games I ordered and the 25OFF code. I'm pretty happy with that since I hate paying full price for games on any platform. No reason to switch to Amazon.

Everyone should realize that even though having MP Beta codes to play early is cool, what you really are is unpaid testers. Your character stats get zeroed out every week or so and all the data is aggregated so Blizzard can roll out the game with a pre-installed player base and code that is as bug free as possible. You shouldn't expect the game to be completely stable until at least release day and more likely a few to six months after release and many many patches. (Luckily the game is auto-patched.) To me, that's why these Beta codes as pre-order bonuses are kinda not that great of a promo. It may as well have been a Demo, like all game companies used to do.

The best promo I could get is money, in the form of discounts, no tax, free shipping or lower prices in general. Anything to keep my initial investment as low as possible adds value to the product that I'm buying.

[quote name='aznguyen316']what do you mean "they" and who scans the computer??

*edit* wow did not expect a beta code from Amazon.. haha had that preordered since last year. Nuts. I guess I got an extra code I could give to my buddy.[/QUOTE]

I heard Blizzard scans your computer and looks at it before you can enter the beta.

[quote name='J7.']I heard Blizzard scans your computer and looks at it before you can enter the beta.[/QUOTE]

When you put your name in for consideration to Beta test their games - and I'm talking out of the blue going to their website and applying, not like getting a code from Gamestop or Amazon - they scan your system to obtain the specifications, then use that data to determine how many users from each type of setup (laptop, low end, gaming comp, mac users, etc) will participate in Beta and which category you fall into.

Not sure if that's what you're referring to or not. But that, specifically, doesn't sound too intrusive to me.

[quote name='MikeIsGood']When you put your name in for consideration to Beta test their games - and I'm talking out of the blue going to their website and applying, not like getting a code from Gamestop or Amazon - they scan your system to obtain the specifications, then use that data to determine how many users from each type of setup (laptop, low end, gaming comp, mac users, etc) will participate in Beta and which category you fall into.

Not sure if that's what you're referring to or not. But that, specifically, doesn't sound too intrusive to me.[/QUOTE]

Ya companies never tell you the full details with shit like that, they can look at whatever they want and won't get in trouble unless exposed. But it's good to hear they don't do that for the Beta Codes.

Battle.net is down right now. Latest patch goes into endless loop trying to update. Sucks, just got my beta key yesterday and just got home from class and cant play!

bread's done
Back