Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Lol, this game made my GPU start to make the dust burn a bit, haha. I smelt a small whiff of smoke and shut my PC off quickly.[/QUOTE]

copy and paste this into your variables.txt file (found in My Documents/Starcraft II)

frameratecap=60
frameratecapGlue=30

it should help

[quote name='J7.']Has anyone here changed these values for their game to avoid having Starcraft 2 melt your graphics card? I don't know if I should do it or not.

The fix is easy, requiring players to add the following lines to your "Documents\StarCraft II Beta\variables.txt" "Documents\StarCraft II\variables.txt" file (nice catch, commenter LegolElf):

frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=60

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/arch...rd-confirms-starcraft-ii-overheating-bug.aspx
http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/788045-starcraft-2-overheating-issue.html
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/13501356

I guess I'm glad I haven't been able to play my copy yet. People are reporting that there temperatures for their cards double just from sitting at the menus for 5-10 minutes.[/QUOTE]

I did this. Better safe than sorry.

I guess I should add them then, np I figured people would want to know.

[quote name='dwhelan']Thanks for posting the hotfix but it does not make a whole ton of sense. Unless you are overclocking your components by bypassing the temperature safeguards, the system should shut down before your start melting down. Yes, the screen are not screen capped, but there is nothing disable the multiple heat sensors in your box.[/QUOTE]

That sounds right, unfortunately for some on the net their cards are already fried. Regardless if your machine shuts down or not you could definitely do some serious wear and tear on your GPU. It is ridiculous on Blizzard's part and I hope they've patched it because if I need to reinstall down the road I don't want to have to remember to change the code. I do spend some time on menus, at least in SC1, to view match stats, replays, & settings.

[quote name='J7.']I guess I should add them then, np I figured people would want to know.

That sounds right, unfortunately for some on the net their cards are already fried. Regardless if your machine shuts down or not you could definitely do some serious wear and tear on your GPU. It is ridiculous on Blizzard's part and I hope they've patched it because if I need to reinstall down the road I don't want to have to remember to change the code. I do spend some time on menus, at least in SC1, to view match stats, replays, & settings.[/QUOTE]

well to put things in perspective, Blizzard took years to fix a bug in Starcraft 1 where it would make your CPU usage be 100% during a game... and this was just last year

Thanks for that J7. When I play WoW and I'm in intense sequences with lots of people/spells on screen my computer get really loud. In SC2, it happens just sitting at the menus!

I hope they release maybe a demo... not multiplayer only. Maybe like the first stage or two. I didn't get a chance to play the beta.

Overall, I think I'll camp it out and wait till the next release or be stingy that I have to pay $40 for D3 ($20 amazon credit from another game).... and wait till all of them are releases as a bundle. Probably when the first exp is out. :D

[quote name='xycury']I hope they release maybe a demo... not multiplayer only. Maybe like the first stage or two. I didn't get a chance to play the beta.

Overall, I think I'll camp it out and wait till the next release or be stingy that I have to pay $40 for D3 ($20 amazon credit from another game).... and wait till all of them are releases as a bundle. Probably when the first exp is out. :D[/QUOTE]

There's 7-hour trial codes that come with all copies of the game, 2 in fact. If you have friends who picked it up they can hook you up with a trial.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Anyone have any advice on how to properly play the Zerg? I usually go "Random" to help learn the in and outs of each race faster, but for some reason I just cannot do well with them.

Also, note that Overlords aren't detectors, as they were in Starcraft. They need to be upgraded to overseers for that. That was a costly lesson.[/QUOTE]

Copied from liquipedia

General Concepts
  • Larva management between drones and army units
  • Larva production, including the number of Hatcheries, and the Spawn Larva ability.
  • Queen management, both in proper use of the queen's abilities and the number of queens.
  • Early Zergling use to kill scouting workers.
  • Creep management, using Creep Tumors and the Overlord's Generate Creep.
  • Good Overseer use both aggressively(Nydus Worm) and defensively (Scouting, revealing cloaked units).
You should try verus AI as Zerg so you get used to the queens and hatcheries. For hotkeys bind all hatcheries to 1, then queens to 2,3,4 or 0,9,8.

Upgrading to a lair quickly seems very important. Then you can make overseers, hydralisks, and flyers.

They are a very good at being reactive... if you see your opponent is massing seige tanks or collossi, spam mutalisks.

I do good early and mid game, but I dont really get how to play them endgame. I wind up having too many resources and unsure what to spend them on. It seems like all the other races have much better endgame units.

I beat it. The game was great. Story was getting great too, but it left us with a lot of loose ends. I hate it when games end and all they show you for an ending is what takes place immediately after the final level/mission.

I'm thinking now that the expansions won't necessarily be a Zerg and then Protoss campaign exclusively. I think there will be a pretty large amount of playing as Terran units peppered into the respective expansions.

Just finished the campaign mode and the ending was pretty good. Cant wait to play the expansions to see what happens. Now to focus on the MP mode!

I'm guessing that in the zerg campaign your main character will be Kerrigan, and for the Protoss it will probably be ZeraTul (sp).

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']
I'm thinking now that the expansions won't necessarily be a Zerg and then Protoss campaign exclusively. I think there will be a pretty large amount of playing as Terran units peppered into the respective expansions.[/QUOTE]

That would be cool. I expect the expansions to have new multiplayer units effectively making you have to buy them for the full mp game. Maybe they won't be $60.

[quote name='TheRock88']Lol at this thread

http://www.giantbomb.com/starcraft-...2-standoff-serious-business/35-435364/?page=1

TLDR
1v1 Protoss vs Terran. Both fight until Protoss only has Gateway and a few zealots while Terran has a Factory that is lifted. Both players will not surrender and wait for over 5 hours until the OP accidently resets his computer.
[/QUOTE]

yeah these stalemates seem to happen often these days...

people really need to learn to not try to go into an elimination race against a Terran... you're either gonna lose or it's gonna be a draw

I would half enjoy seeing the building flights have some sort of time limit on how long they can remain in the air, and a cooldown. No stalling bullshit that way. Make it long enough they can traverse a map if needed, but make the cooldown take 1.2x the time it takes for it to fly across the map maybe. Something to ensure people can't just fly everything off into the sunset.

[quote name='georox']I would half enjoy seeing the building flights have some sort of time limit on how long they can remain in the air, and a cooldown. No stalling bullshit that way. Make it long enough they can traverse a map if needed, but make the cooldown take 1.2x the time it takes for it to fly across the map maybe. Something to ensure people can't just fly everything off into the sunset.[/QUOTE]

I think that's unnecessary. These stalemates come from the fact that all these maps have a TON of blank air space around the map where you can easily hide flying buildings. If you look at recent Starcraft 1 maps, there are no or at most a few small spaces where you can hide a flying building. All the current maps are terrible anyway, so just wait for community-made maps that are actually good are made and the flying terran building thing is put into consideration

allow me to illustrate:
91434522.jpg
this is Fighting Spirit, the most popular of the SC1 maps made within the past year. I put in red possible places for a terran building to hide without being hit. And I think even a dragoon and goliath with range can still hit them.

Now let's look at Scrap Station, a map in SC2
78631625.jpg

Blizzard has always been inept when it comes to making maps, so I don't count on them on making any balanced maps any time soon. So we will have to rely on the SC community for that

Last edited by a moderator:
Just cracked open my collector's edition this weekend. Even though when installing it, the game told me I did not meet min specs (my CPU) the game has been running smoothly and flawlessly at the lowest settings for the first 6 missions.

One of my favorite parts of SC1 were the fan made maps, especially the RPG levels and scenario levels with lots of triggers. I know it's early in SC2 life, but is there a dedicated website to collecting these and rating them? If it's in the thread already, I'm sorry, but I didn't want to search 51 pages.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']One of my favorite parts of SC1 were the fan made maps, especially the RPG levels and scenario levels with lots of triggers. I know it's early in SC2 life, but is there a dedicated website to collecting these and rating them? If it's in the thread already, I'm sorry, but I didn't want to search 51 pages.[/QUOTE]

http://www.sc2mapster.com/

Nice, I was hoping CAG had a small group of SCII players.

Dasflikko - Flik - 200

I'm not very good but I'm looking to find some people to play standard games, and of course custom maps as well.

I've really been digging the Nexus Wars map since it is pretty relaxing to just create units and watch them blow each other up!

does anyone happen to have an extra guest pass. i want to play the game but i dont have the money yet to buy it.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']I think that's unnecessary. These stalemates come from the fact that all these maps have a TON of blank air space around the map where you can easily hide flying buildings. If you look at recent Starcraft 1 maps, there are no or at most a few small spaces where you can hide a flying building. All the current maps are terrible anyway, so just wait for community-made maps that are actually good are made and the flying terran building thing is put into consideration

allow me to illustrate:
91434522.jpg
this is Fighting Spirit, the most popular of the SC1 maps made within the past year. I put in red possible places for a terran building to hide without being hit. And I think even a dragoon and goliath with range can still hit them.

Now let's look at Scrap Station, a map in SC2
78631625.jpg

Blizzard has always been inept when it comes to making maps, so I don't count on them on making any balanced maps any time soon. So we will have to rely on the SC community for that[/QUOTE]

No map would solve the issue experienced in that stalemate. Even if the map had no gaps, the zealots would never be able to stand on each other's shoulders to attack the factory. They'd still need at least a Cybernetics Core. Granted, that's a bit better than the Stargate they'd need elsewise, but point remains - maps alone will not eliminate stalemates.

What they need to do is add some kind of condition for automatically ending a match when nothing's happening. Say, if 30 minutes passes without either side building a unit/researching something/killing something, some metric is used to determine a winner (or just call it a draw). Still not foolproof, but it would at least put a finite end on a game.

[quote name='Salamando3000']No map would solve the issue experienced in that stalemate. Even if the map had no gaps, the zealots would never be able to stand on each other's shoulders to attack the factory. They'd still need at least a Cybernetics Core. Granted, that's a bit better than the Stargate they'd need elsewise, but point remains - maps alone will not eliminate stalemates.

What they need to do is add some kind of condition for automatically ending a match when nothing's happening. Say, if 30 minutes passes without either side building a unit/researching something/killing something, some metric is used to determine a winner (or just call it a draw). Still not foolproof, but it would at least put a finite end on a game.[/QUOTE]

Well the game ends when all buildings are destroyed correct? So maybe they could make it so that when a building takes off it turns into a "unit" therefor ending the game. Sure there are some issues where people could fuck up and make all their buildings take off, but not all buildings take off, and if you were to fuck yourself then you're an idiot, and I think most can agree on that.

Just an idea though.

[quote name='jarvis307']i was trying to do voice chat w/ my friend on his mac book and neither of us can hear each other talk. i saw this note here saying voice is not working on win 7 w/ realtek. http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/248415626. it would seem the mac should have picked up my voice. does anyone have voice chat working?[/QUOTE]

Nope, not at all. Tried during the beta, tried post-launch. Same result.

That could explain why voice chat in SC2 never seems to work for me - I never put in the effort to research the problem; I just thought that voice chat was a broken feature in general.

I really want to buy the game but I'm afraid it won't run too well on my system. The beta ran good but people are saying that the full game runs worse.

Anybody have a spare guest pass I could get? I would GREATLY appreciate it.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']I really want to buy the game but I'm afraid it won't run too well on my system. The beta ran good but people are saying that the full game runs worse.

Anybody have a spare guest pass I could get? I would GREATLY appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

Pass sent via PM. Enjoy

[quote name='dwhelan']Pass sent via PM. Enjoy[/QUOTE]

Thanks again man! Much appreciated.

If the game runs as well as the beta did, I'll pick it up and pass along my guest passes to CAG as well.

[quote name='BattleChicken']Reviews are starting to pour in:

http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/939643-starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty/index.html

None of the big guys currently aggregated (1up, IGN, Gamespot, etc), but the reviews so far are stellar. As of this posting, it averages 95.91%

Perhaps Crotch can take this, and add it to post #2 in this thread.

Edit: Metacritic has more ratings. Critic ratings are at 96, as of this post

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/starcraft2?q=starcraft II#critics[/QUOTE]

Wow, hopefully the reviewers don't choke on the balls. I don't want to sound like a hater, but we all paid 60 bucks for a game that is damn near the same as its predecessor. The reviews seem to take note of this, but still give it a perfect score? Had this been another game that did the same thing it would be slammed.

"This isn't just a fresh coat of paint on StarCraft, it is StarCraft, right down to its pixelated bones."

"Not a lot of chances were taken, but Blizzard knows what works, and it shows."

The game is great and deserves the stellar sales and accolades, but at the same time it's so great it doesn't need these reviewers to fellate it. If you have the first Starcraft I wouldn't go breaking the bank to buy this one.

I'm really not trying to rub anyone the wrong way and I really hope to see the games multiplayer expand with the next chapters of the game.

On another note, some of the reviewers act like there were no good RTS games between the Starcraft titles and that's a load of horse shit. Hello?! Company of Heroes much?

I'm interested in doing some MP, more or less to learn some shit. So if there's anyone here that kicks ass and would like to take me to school or anyone who also sucks ass feel free to add me. I know you can link up with facebooks. And I think emails? [email protected]

I can't disagree with your points - they're totally valid; other than some basic modernizations to the MP, and a much better campaign, It is more or less Starcraft.

I think thats what they were going for, though.. Its what people expected. It's hard for me to decide if 'its just like Starcraft' should be held against them, or if they should get some points for recognizing that Starcraft was exactly what a huge number of their customers wanted.

I look at Starcraft 2 - which took the lessons from its first game, improved some things (peon management, queuing, etc), and then I look at Supreme Commander 2 - which took everything the player base loved, lit it on fire and peed on the ashes. I think Blizzard deliberated pretty hard about the direction of the game.. I mean, didn't they scrap near-final versions of the game two or three times in the development process? What they came up with is solid, but no also not ground breaking at all.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Wow, hopefully the reviewers don't choke on the balls. I don't want to sound like a hater, but we all paid 60 bucks for a game that is damn near the same as its predecessor. The reviews seem to take note of this, but still give it a perfect score? Had this been another game that did the same thing it would be slammed.

"This isn't just a fresh coat of paint on StarCraft, it is StarCraft, right down to its pixelated bones."

"Not a lot of chances were taken, but Blizzard knows what works, and it shows."

The game is great and deserves the stellar sales and accolades, but at the same time it's so great it doesn't need these reviewers to fellate it. If you have the first Starcraft I wouldn't go breaking the bank to buy this one.

I'm really not trying to rub anyone the wrong way and I really hope to see the games multiplayer expand with the next chapters of the game.

On another note, some of the reviewers act like there were no good RTS games between the Starcraft titles and that's a load of horse shit. Hello?! Company of Heroes much?

I'm interested in doing some MP, more or less to learn some shit. So if there's anyone here that kicks ass and would like to take me to school or anyone who also sucks ass feel free to add me. I know you can link up with facebooks. And I think emails? [email protected][/QUOTE]

[quote name='Salamando3000']No map would solve the issue experienced in that stalemate. Even if the map had no gaps, the zealots would never be able to stand on each other's shoulders to attack the factory. They'd still need at least a Cybernetics Core. Granted, that's a bit better than the Stargate they'd need elsewise, but point remains - maps alone will not eliminate stalemates.

What they need to do is add some kind of condition for automatically ending a match when nothing's happening. Say, if 30 minutes passes without either side building a unit/researching something/killing something, some metric is used to determine a winner (or just call it a draw). Still not foolproof, but it would at least put a finite end on a game.[/QUOTE]

If the dude with the building was smart he would wait until the other guy got tired of watching and go build some guys and win the match! Assuming he has minerals left. That would be awesome haha.

IMO you win if you have enough guys left ready to kill the last building that are more powerful than what that building can produce if it could produce the unit in time. That's how I would metric it.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Well the game ends when all buildings are destroyed correct? So maybe they could make it so that when a building takes off it turns into a "unit" therefor ending the game. Sure there are some issues where people could fuck up and make all their buildings take off, but not all buildings take off, and if you were to fuck yourself then you're an idiot, and I think most can agree on that.

Just an idea though.[/QUOTE]

I kinda like the idea of a Terran player literally being able to press L to lose at the beginning of a game.

I HATE NOOBS!!!

Was 2 away from getting the 25 wins in a row against medium AI and I run into some douche who turtles the entire time and wont even help send his units while my base is getting overrun by the 2 comps.

[quote name='TheRock88']I HATE NOOBS!!!

Was 2 away from getting the 25 wins in a row against medium AI and I run into some douche who turtles the entire time and wont even help send his units while my base is getting overrun by the 2 comps.[/QUOTE]

So long as HE wins, you would have gotten a win from the match even if your base got wiped out.

[quote name='BattleChicken']So long as HE wins, you would have gotten a win from the match even if your base got wiped out.[/QUOTE]

Didn't matter, he disconnected as soon as he saw my base was being overrun

I finished the campaign last night. I played for so long that after I closed the game and opened my browser I kept trying to scroll the page down by mousing to the bottom of the screen.

Time to learn multiplayer.

Yukonrye - 349

[quote name='TheRock88']Didn't matter, he disconnected as soon as he saw my base was being overrun[/QUOTE]

then you were granted control of his units, and could have still salvaged it.

[quote name='jkanownik']Two guest pass keys:

E66F9G-R4RN-V2ETYT-4HND-7WVVH9
RGMDWY-JHDG-2DYJ9H-ZX4E-WK2G8D[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I took the second key.

[quote name='BattleChicken']then you were granted control of his units, and could have still salvaged it.[/QUOTE]
I've actually done something similar quite a few times. A friend and I will let the AI send a huge force to one of us so their base should have fewer units, the one being attacked will defend while the other goes and attacks the AI attacking. He could have grabbed the other guy's units and if not won, at least wiped one of the AI out. Medium is pretty easy anyway.

bread's done
Back