Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

I doubt the amount of hacking that goes on in WoW happens in SC. I have an authenticator because I play WoW and it's definitely worth the small price for the added security.

BloodSeraph - 687

I bought Starcraft but I never really got into it. But I'm really enjoying Starcraft 2's campaign and multiplayer, so far.

If you add me, just expect that I'll be pretty bad for awhile until I really get a good grasp on how to play the multiplayer.

A friend of mine gave me one of those authenticators, but it looks like it's only for WoW, is it any to SC2 players?

[quote name='Clak']A friend of mine gave me one of those authenticators, but it looks like it's only for WoW, is it any to SC2 players?[/QUOTE]
It'll still work. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's the same as mine - it's just got WoW graphics on it, right? There's some out there with SC2 graphics, but they were Blizzcon exclusives, IIRC.

[quote name='Draekon']Actually that's not entirely correct.
The game auto-saved enough and those saves stick around long enough to be able to load one up before Char and play it in the Mission Archives to unlock it. Then finish up the last three missions on easy or something if you really want it to say 26/26.
[/QUOTE]

Ah. I never checked to see how many of those it was keeping around.

And now that I'm looking at it, I should really delete some, as my save folders are up to 400 MB.

[quote name='blueshinra']
Also, totally unrelated: my husband bought his own copy of SC2 which he finally started playing today, and I must say that it looks so nice on his gaming rig (me, I'm not enough of a PC gamer to have/want such a computer, normally). I played with just about all the settings on Low, and it looked fine, but god damn do the "Ultra" graphics look sweet. I'm a little envious >_>[/QUOTE]
Don't be too jealous. Picking out a Ghost to feedback in amongst a crowd is hard enough with the settings turned down. Get all the fancy effects a-goin', and it's fucking impossible.

BAKER-512

Bought my account from a friend. Woot. Not the greatest, but I think I'm decent as terran and protoss (although protoss is like a noob class, void ray spam is too easy to win with).

It looks like there is currently a big rash of phishing emails going around. I got a ton of them to my email account that isn't tied to my bnet account - If you get ANY emails from ANYONE claiming to be from blizzard, disregard them. In the last two days, I've seen "someone is trying to sell your WoW account" "you are involved in gold transfers", "Hey! you're in the Cataclysm beta", and "we've noticed hacking on your battle.net account".

Most of them were pretty obviously scams, but I could see how someone who doesn't understand how to read email headers may be fooled by them. Almost all the ones I got were from *@hotmail.com addresses, but were spoofed to be *[email protected] email addresses.

In any event, Blizzard won't send you plain-text emails in almost all cases. Check the email headers from any 'blizzard' emails you may get. If ever something tells you you're in a beta, or you need to contact Blizzard support, NEVER click the link in the email - go directly to battle.net, and look up the support email or phone numbers.

[quote name='SoulReaver']protoss is like a noob class, void ray spam is too easy to win with).[/QUOTE]

It is more likely that people in your (most likely low-mid level) league just don't counter void rays properly. They are very killable with any race. The same is true for reapers.

I still think that void rays need a 3-stage attack rather than a 2-stage attack, and that when they change targets they need to lose a charge... But they aren't super overpowered; just not properly countered.

One way to discern the emails I get from "Blizzard" is that I created a new email address that is ONLY used as my battle.net sign in. If I get any emails in my normal account from Blizzard, I know they're false because they only send emails to the current email address, not past ones. If I get an email in my battle.net email, they're really from Blizzard.

[quote name='BattleChicken']It looks like there is currently a big rash of phishing emails going around. I got a ton of them to my email account that isn't tied to my bnet account - If you get ANY emails from ANYONE claiming to be from blizzard, disregard them. In the last two days, I've seen "someone is trying to sell your WoW account" "you are involved in gold transfers", "Hey! you're in the Cataclysm beta", and "we've noticed hacking on your battle.net account".

Most of them were pretty obviously scams, but I could see how someone who doesn't understand how to read email headers may be fooled by them. Almost all the ones I got were from *@hotmail.com addresses, but were spoofed to be *[email protected] email addresses.

In any event, Blizzard won't send you plain-text emails in almost all cases. Check the email headers from any 'blizzard' emails you may get. If ever something tells you you're in a beta, or you need to contact Blizzard support, NEVER click the link in the email - go directly to battle.net, and look up the support email or phone numbers.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I went to my junk mail folder the other day and noticed I had a ton of these. They're all obviously from people who got their hotmail accounts hi-jacked.

Have to love being able to look at a cleartext mail file with all the header crap intact.

[quote name='BattleChicken']It is more likely that people in your (most likely low-mid level) league just don't counter void rays properly. They are very killable with any race. The same is true for reapers.

I still think that void rays need a 3-stage attack rather than a 2-stage attack, and that when they change targets they need to lose a charge... But they aren't super overpowered; just not properly countered.[/QUOTE]

Well, turns out your right.

I can kill people in 1v1 in my bronze league.

I won 4 out of 5 for my placement in 2v2 and ended up in a gold league (how the hell?). Tried one game and I got crushed trying to VR rush.

Feel free to yell at me for posting in the wrong place but I don't want to start a new thread or anything.

Does anyone have a trial code I could use? I want the game but I'm worried it won't run well enough to be worth while. I just want to see how it runs.

[quote name='BattleChicken']It looks like there is currently a big rash of phishing emails going around. I got a ton of them to my email account that isn't tied to my bnet account - If you get ANY emails from ANYONE claiming to be from blizzard, disregard them. In the last two days, I've seen "someone is trying to sell your WoW account" "you are involved in gold transfers", "Hey! you're in the Cataclysm beta", and "we've noticed hacking on your battle.net account".

In any event, Blizzard won't send you plain-text emails in almost all cases. Check the email headers from any 'blizzard' emails you may get. If ever something tells you you're in a beta, or you need to contact Blizzard support, NEVER click the link in the email - go directly to battle.net, and look up the support email or phone numbers.[/QUOTE]

Yea I get like 20 WoW scam emails a week and the last one I got did not go to my spam folder and was written a lot better than the majority of the ones I get.

And my WoW account WAS hacked before... so it is possible.

An authenticator is a great tool to keep your account from being hacked. You can download the app for free on iphone or android phones, or just pony up $6 to get one from the Blizzard store. My WoW account was hacked once, it sucks ass. The peace of mind from the stress you'll avoid is well worth $6 in my opinion.

This is weird, I've had a bnet account for something like 3 years and have never received a phishing email.

On the topic of Void Rays, what is the best way to counter? I've found that by the time I move my marines back to the mineral line harass, they're already fully charged and destroy my marines as if they were featured on "Will it Blend?"

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']On the topic of Void Rays, what is the best way to counter? I've found that by the time I move my marines back to the mineral line harass, they're already fully charged and destroy my marines as if they were featured on "Will it Blend?"[/QUOTE]

If they're not fully charged, I find small/low tier unit focus fire to be effective. If they are fully charged, shift+Enter gg alt+f4

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']On the topic of Void Rays, what is the best way to counter? I've found that by the time I move my marines back to the mineral line harass, they're already fully charged and destroy my marines as if they were featured on "Will it Blend?"[/QUOTE]

It depends how you play. From what you just said, it sounds like you make barracks units. Make a ghost to EMP the void rays, and the marines will eat them a lot faster than they normally would. If you're fighting a protoss it doesn't matter what they make, ghosts are a good move.

There really isn't a good void counter in the factory.. but vikings are pretty good at it so long as you focus fire and try to kite the rays a bit so they lose their charge/get some free shots off.

[quote name='BattleChicken']It depends how you play. From what you just said, it sounds like you make barracks units. Make a ghost to EMP the void rays, and the marines will eat them a lot faster than they normally would. If you're fighting a protoss it doesn't matter what they make, ghosts are a good move.

There really isn't a good void counter in the factory.. but vikings are pretty good at it so long as you focus fire and try to kite the rays a bit so they lose their charge/get some free shots off.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reminding me of ghosts, all too often I forget they exist which bites me in the ass, they're excellent units.

At first I thought I wasn't ready for platinum but I've just gone 3 in a row with wins so I must be picking up a bit. God I love this game, best $60 I've spent in a good long while.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']This is weird, I've had a bnet account for something like 3 years and have never received a phishing email.

On the topic of Void Rays, what is the best way to counter? I've found that by the time I move my marines back to the mineral line harass, they're already fully charged and destroy my marines as if they were featured on "Will it Blend?"[/QUOTE]
Marines, as mentioned before, can be good against voids - in the open, at least. In areas with cliffs, though, voids have much better chances at picking off stragglers and then retreating beyond the cliffs (or water's edge or whatever).

Vikings were mentioned; a very strong choice, as they have a large range advantage. Beware, however, that this is not necessarily a long-term solution: once voids get their speed upgrade, they can easily close that gap. However, if you're having trouble with a void rush, that is most certainly not a problem. Vikings are also a great fuck-you to the mighty Colossus, and any bio-heavy Terran is going to have a starport with a reactor anyway, so why the fuck not?

Then there are Ghosts. Ghosts... god fucking damn them. Let me just say this: there is never a bad time to have a ghost in the mix when you're up against a protoss. I hate the fuckers. EMP outranges feedback, doesn't require research, hits instantly, and fucks everything up. Ghosts are cunts. fuck them.

Finally, try to fight voids outside your base. Catching them in the protoss' base or in the field, aside from hopefully getting you away from cliff edges and shores and what-not where they can easily escape your marines, gives them very few opportunities to charge up on a command center or a supply depot pre-fight.

I haven't finished the campaign or played a single round of multiplayer since the game came out.. annoying. I wonder how lousy I'll be at this when I get a chance to play some.

I found that after the second beta started, my success rate dropped pretty drastically. I think I determined that it was because I was playing 'fun' rather than playing 'well'. I'm entirely too nice, most of the time.. I want to win in a way that engages the enemy, rather than by circumventing all their defenses entirely. I need to figure out how to get the killer instinct back.. I know how to counter and circumvent pretty much any unit combination, but I don't make use of that knowledge early enough for it to do me any good.

I need to figure out how to play as a fuck you to those I play against again..

i played two 2v2 games yesterday with one of my friends yesterday who admittedly isn't that great

but it was hilarious
i'm gonna miss placement matches
and the fact that i have 130 more sc2 apm than them

and i love nuking terran walls

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Anyone got a guest pass lying around they wouldn't mind sending my way?[/QUOTE]

If you still need one, PM me.

Not sure if anyone posted this yet but I thought this would be of interest to some here.

Gamespot - PC Games - Article

[quote name='Megazell']Not sure if anyone posted this yet but I thought this would be of interest to some here.

[/QUOTE]

I built my computer for $500 nearly 2 years ago and I can play on max, that article's full of it. Not to mention "On the Cheap" does not mean I want to play on full ultras with no unacceptable dips.

Not to sound like a dick, it's not a terrible read and it's good to see the benches.

[quote name='Megazell']Not sure if anyone posted this yet but I thought this would be of interest to some here.

[/QUOTE]
They're talking budget performance and they completely left AMD processors out of the picture? Fail.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']They're talking budget performance and they completely left AMD processors out of the picture? Fail.[/QUOTE]

Hm...
Our AMD Phenom test bed was acting up; thus, we have no performance numbers for it, but the same basic trend should hold there as well. If you have an AMD platform, opt for brute speed over more cores.

I didn't notice that line in the article, as I just skimmed it over. Gamespot isn't the first place I'd go for PC advice anyway, or any other advice, for that matter.

However, it's no excuse for simply leaving them out. If the article's incomplete, don't publish it. It can't be that hard for them to put together a working AMD platform to test with.

the game keeps asking me to put it on ultra settings.

i have to tell it to put it back on medium.

my computer is also 2.5 years old.

not even a phenom. a second gen 8800gts.

is it really that hard to make an sc2 ready computer?

I was hoping to not have to upgrade. I played through the campaign and a couple of 1v1 games fine with a few hiccups when the game first loads and when a talking head pops up. I was trying for the 1v7 insane AI FFA and it brought my pc to its knees. The game would start fine but around the time there were 2 AI opponents left I was getting less than 1 fps, regardless of what was on screen, with sporadic jumps back to about 30. I had the same problem on a 1v2 insane AI game. It looks like I need to upgrade the CPU.

So there a lot of you here not following the advice command in the thread title. Oktoberfest, Kyo, Kain, darknessbear.

Post your cunt-sucking Bnet names and numbers.

Also, should we arrange some sort of time to play soon-like?

OK, I need to make a recording of me shouting at myself to do shit. I keep getting supply blocked at 27/35 and I keep forgetting to make ghosts when I really ought to (Case and point, just played a 'toss who massed void rays and got a mothership)

Any one wana do some 2v2s? I'm currently plat in my 1v1 and 2v2 league.. PM me

Also I have an extra guest pass if any one needs..

[quote name='The Crotch']Dear TL.net.

Early aggression is not cheese. Rushing is not cheese. Stop calling every fucking thing other than a 1/1 push or FE cheese.[/QUOTE]
this is why you read selectively at tl.net
tlanswers.jpg

Finally got a little more SC2 time in last night.. played a 3v3 with some people I work with, and two 2v2s with Balphon. Won all 3 games... I didn't make nearly as many mistakes as I thought I would. the 3v3 was a mess, but it was 3v3, and everyone but me was bad anyway... I ended up using ghosts liberally. I think i got 6 achievements in one nuke because I killed 100 or 150 supply worth of units - two of the enemies had all their units in one big pile, with no detection. That was all kinds of awesome.

In the 2v2s, I was a lot less inept. The firt one, I was zerg, went roach to heavy hydra.. Bal went M3 to vikings the enemies went all a really bad combination of marines and marauder and void rays - pretty much JUST void rays... I ended up nydusing the terran, and they were kind of doomed after that. I'll need to check the replay.. We had no idea what happened to the biggest force of void rays that game..

The second game I was bal and I were both terran. I decided to go reckless, so I proxied 3 rax and made a bunch of reaper, then expanded at the gold minerals near the enemy base. I had nothing in my main except supply depots, for the most part. Bal went banshee, which was a brilliant move, as the enemy came in with heavy ground-only forces right around the time I started destroying their bases with the reaper.

Balphon managed to take out the first wave of enemy forces with a handful of banshees without any assistance from me while I rapestoved the bases. I think at the end it wound up being a base destruction race. I managed to get all their peons, though, so nobody was able to play hide the pylon, and we got a win before they scrapped either of our mains.

I've been playing Zerg mainly and the one thing that almost always beats me is mass stalkers.

I spent 30 mins reading the players guide on Battlenet, and learned a few things like to focus fire against stalkers and void rays. And that mutalisks are better against void rays than corruptors. Endgame I guess ultralisks and broodlords are good against stalkers. Thinking back to some games I lost I definitely could have put out broodlords.

Early game, zerglings against a few stalkers works great. They can surround them and they don't have blink yet. Midgame if someone goes mass stalkers right now its look like I need to stall until I can get broodlords/ultralisks. Zerglings do not work against them because they cannot surround the mass, the mass can also blink away and possibly blink to a cliff, which is an instant zergling massacre.

So if anyone plays protoss, go mass stalkers against zerg once you hit midgame. I've seen people go void rays, then switch to mass stalkers once I shut down the void rays, which is probably a very basic and strong strategy against zerg players. This also baits them into massing mutalisks or corruptors which you will rip through with mass stalkers. Go VR, if VR all die/ get repelled, go MS.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back