Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

[quote name='BattleChicken']I'm trying to figure out (in my head) if battlecruisers against mass thor would win without yamato. I think that one would depend greatly on the upgrades, but in either case it would be a really, really long battle.[/QUOTE]

Thors would likely take it due to splash damage. Not to mention that any Thor armor upgrades would compound against the BC's Rapid-but-Weak damage.

~HotShotX

thor AA does 6x4 damage with a cooldown of 3, BC has 3 armor, 550hp. 12 damage per 3 seconds or 4 damage per second.
BC does 8 damage with a cooldown of 0.225, thor has 1 armor, 400hp. about 28 damage per second.

i think it's clear who will win, even with splash damage.

yeah. i was operating off the idea that they shot for 5 damage per shot, but fired several.. unupgraded i figured the BC would win. upgraded? i wasn't as sure.

Prior to the ground DPS nerf, BCs would have won hands down without question.. I just had a passing thought about it whilst sitting at work and vocalized it.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Thor will lose.

Pretty old, but it still gets the point across, I would say.[/QUOTE]

When your point is BCs + 20 SCVs on Auto-Repair > Thors, then yes, it comes across pretty efficiently.

Recent patches establish the attack priority of Repairing SCVs equal to that of the unit it is repairing. In other words, they would be shot down by the Thors before they focus on the BCs.

Aside from that, exploitation of the choke is a great strategy, but not exactly a fair representation of the Thor vs BC debate.

~HotShotX

Update on patch 1.3 notes.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/1213111662

- Ghost EMP now drains up to 100 energy instead of all available energy. The effect on Protoss shields remains unchanged
- Infestor Health increased from 90 to 110. -- This change has been revoked.
- Fungal Growth Now fires a missile instead of being instant cast. -- This change has been revoked.

So glad they decided to remove the missile thing for FG.

[quote name='TheRock88']Update on patch 1.3 notes.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/1213111662

So glad they decided to remove the missile thing for FG.[/QUOTE]

I think I really like the ghost vs templar dynamic change.. ghost's EMP still outrange templar storm and in SOME cases templar will still get neutered by ghost's EMP but not in all cases now - which means one well used ghost is still highly effective but isn't godly against tos.

EMP only really hurts the high-energy requirement abilities which is, in my opinion at least, how it should have worked in the first place.

100 shield 100 energy is a nearly perfect balance, IMO.. well done Blizzard.

[quote name='The Crotch']Any nerf to EMP is a good thing. This'll make the HT changes a good deal more pallatable.

Palatable.

Pallatable.

Fucl.[/QUOTE]

Any more nerfs to EMP would be too much. I honestly think the ability is powered just about perfectly right now for the costs associated in getting ghosts and for the power of the ability. Any more nerfs (or doing silly things like making EMP a research ability) would be too much.

Palatable.

First, a roommate with a PS3 moved in, so I powered through Valkyria Chronicles like a motherfucker.

Then Dragon Age 2 came out.

Now I'm in training, more or less, for the upcoming tree planting season, which occupies 1/4 of every year of my life and is responsible for most of the money I make in a year, so it's pretty serious fucking business for me.

SC2 still pops up from time to time, mostly at the request of fellow planters.

i don't play games on the weekdays anymore 'cause of studying...

on the weekends i play other games. mvc3/saga 3 ds/vc2, still have to start vc3.

i still watch BW though. bw for life.

Just played a "Gold" player with a 1300/2600 record.

Blizzard are smart.

Also, what is best counter for mass thor as Protoss? Tried the mass speed lots but my opponent had too many thors+ ups.

Immortals are the hard counter, but 250 MM strike cannon owns them. Stalkers do well too. You need upgrades as well and Blink Stalkers help too in catching small groups of Thors when they are out of position.

yeah.. i'm going to agree with Oktober and dark on this one - immortals and voids are both greater than thor.

Before I took break 2.0, when I rolled tos against terran and determined that they weren't going heavy marine, I've been doing a 1 gate, robo, starport thing with high success. I'll pump out zealots and make immortals and an even split between phoenix and void rays, adding gates as my econ outpaces my production. It's worked most of the times I've done it, and it's hella fun to do.

Voids, voids, and more voids. Immortals do fairly well pre-250 mm cannons. If you're fighting lower tier than that, I'd take zealots over stalkers.

Finally made it to Diamond league haha. Now that 1.3 is out and its the season of though, eh, at least my rank will be locked in for this season.

SjjWy.png

WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME BLIZZARD! I was platinum before, terrible at that, and lost my placer. Then I get rank 5 diamond?

I just don't understand.

I just love there effort that Blizzard spends on their april fools updates.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/console/

Ultimate Grandmaster League

A new league has been added! Ultimate Grandmaster represents the top one player in each region. Do you have what it takes?

General

• Players who do not type "GG" before quitting a game will receive an automatic loss for bad manners.
  • Players who are winning a match and type “GG” on behalf of their opponent will automatically surrender.

• Players with Battle.net accounts registered with the first and last name David Kim will now receive an automatic 20% reduction to all stats.
  • The Dance Studio has been added to the game! Teach your units new dances by purchasing them with your bonus pool. Show off to opponents, impress your friends!

• Leagues & Ladders
    • In addition to losses, wins are now also no longer shown. Instead, players will see Jim Raynor giving them a thumbs-up after every match regardless if they win or lose.
    • To balance the issue of Zerg under-representation and Terran over-representation in the upper ladder brackets, the names of these two races have been switched. This should result in higher "Zerg" representation and lower “Terran” representation.
    • To keep queue times low, you can now face off against AI players when playing ladder games!
      • Bronze: Very Easy
      • Silver: Easy
      • Gold: Normal
      • Platinum: Hard
      • Diamond: Very Hard
      • Master/Grandmaster: Insane
      • Ultimate Grandmaster: You

• Maps
    • Two new maps have been introduced to support macro-play! Both maps include 30 expansions, and it will take approximately 5 minutes for a scouting unit to reach an opponent's starting base.
    • Due to its extreme popularity, two additional versions of Delta Quadrant have been added to the 1v1 map pool to increase a player’s likelihood to queue for this map.
    • To better support community maps, destructible rocks, line of sight blockers, and high yield minerals will now automatically be added into maps that do not have them.
    • Destructible rocks have been added to all base and expansion locations in all maps, including starting base locations.
    • To help lesser known maps get more exposure, there is now a 1-hour cooldown before you can play the same custom map again.

Battle.net

• To make Battle.net friendlier, all players will automatically be placed in the same Voice-Chat channel upon logging in to Battle.net. Voice-Chat is defaulted back to "On" and volume to maximum every time the game is started.

Balance

PROTOSS

• Hallucinated units now deal damage equivalent to the unit they replicate.
  • Due to the effectiveness of Force Field, it is now a High Templar ability which must be researched from the Templar Archives.
  • Sentries now begin play with Psi Storm.
  • Colossi now have 5 legs. They just looked kinda weird with 4.
  • Whenever a Phoenix performs the barrel roll animation, it cannot be damaged by any attacks.
  • Carrier (new unit) is now available from the Stargate.
  • To better match their namesakes, Phoenixes will now always revive 5 seconds after being “destroyed”.
  • Protoss players that are matched against another Protoss player will automatically start the game with 4 Gateways and Warp Gate tech researched.
  • Due to lack of appreciation by players, the Mothership has been surgically altered to be sleeker and more visually appealing, and has been renamed to the Cougarship. The Cougarship will automatically gravitate toward enemy units that have been in play for 18-21 minutes and attempt to bring them back to the nearest friendly base.
TERRAN

• The Thor has been reverted to its original pre-beta size. Ramp widths on all maps have been increased by 5x to accommodate this change.
  • Due to a recent popular all-in strategy, SCV health has been decreased from 45 to 15.
  • Marines and Marauders now attack while moving. We felt this functionality was a lot of fun on the Phoenix and wanted to add it to some of the less popular Terran units.
  • Battlecruiser movement speed increased from 1.875 to Ludicrous Speed.
  • The Ghost can no longer be produced. Once a Ghost's progress bar is partially complete it will be postponed indefinitely.
  • To better balance Terran defensive structure options we are adding the Drakken Laser Drill from the single player mission “The Dig” to the Terran tech tree. Its stats will remain the same and will cost 400 minerals and 200 Vespene gas with a 45 second build time.
  • Flying buildings now crush any non-massive units and Protoss Force Fields when landing. This effect can destroy friendly units.
  • Bunker
    • No change.
    • To encourage further tournament use, MULEs will now instantly destroy all units in their path when being called down.
ZERG

• Zerg players have begun to spread creep regularly during gameplay. To counter this, the speed of Zerg units has been decreased by 50%.
  • Zerg eggs now reflect the size of the unit that is being produced.
  • Zergling
    • Now hatch in batches of 4 to help create more of a swarmy feeling.
    • Cost reduced to 25 minerals for each batch.
    • Infestor Neural Parasite ability is no longer channeled and has an unlimited duration.
    • To bring the Queen’s Spawn Larvae ability in line with MULEs and Chrono Boost, Spawn Larvae can now be set to auto-cast.
    • The Hatchery/Lair/Hive no longer auto-spawn Larvae. Each Larva must be individually queued and produced from this structure. Each Larva now also has a cost of 2 Supply.
    • Because the Protoss and Terran have mechanics to circumvent cliffs, we felt it was unfair for the zerg. As such, Banelings are now able to roll up and down cliffs. This upgrade is combined with Centrifugal Hooks, and build time on the upgrade has been increased by 10 seconds.
    • Banelings splash now inflicts damage on friendly units.
    • Banelings now automatically detonate when they touch any other unit or building, including friendly banelings.
    • Ultralisk Cavern tech requirement changed from Hive to Hatchery. For obvious balance reasons Ultralisks no longer crush forcefields.
    • Due to lack of use, the Lurker has been removed from the game.

Bug Fixes

• Gameplay
  • Fixed a bug where Terran players were able to lose a game.
  • Fixed a bug preventing Planetary Fortresses from lifting off.

Who wants to warp archons with me :D

NASL is charging $25 for a season pass.

Man, what's up with this crap?
I don't want to pay to watch Starcraft, let alone Starcraft 2.

I think for one Starcraft Proleague Finals, they decided to charge people to attend, and it was the least attended event ever. That was the last time they charged people for it.

Blah, I don't know why people think the game is good enough to be worth paying for to watch.

[quote name='kainzero']NASL is charging $25 for a season pass.

I think for one Starcraft Proleague Finals, they decided to charge people to attend, and it was the least attended event ever. That was the last time they charged people for it.

Blah, I don't know why people think the game is good enough to be worth paying for to watch.[/QUOTE]

If they want to charge for high quality stream/adless/raffle tickets/VODs/behind the scenes, that's fine with me. It's only when they totally block you out without paying the premium that I get bugged.

In me news (Because you all care so much) I played my first ladders of the new season yesterday. Played a guy, lost. Queued up again, played the same guy, lost again. Ragequit, never laddering again >:[

In my placement match for season two I lost and it promoted me to diamond while the other guy stayed platinum. Don't really understand...guess my MMR was high enough.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']If they want to charge for high quality stream/adless/raffle tickets/VODs/behind the scenes, that's fine with me. It's only when they totally block you out without paying the premium that I get bugged.

In me news (Because you all care so much) I played my first ladders of the new season yesterday. Played a guy, lost. Queued up again, played the same guy, lost again. Ragequit, never laddering again >:[[/QUOTE]
Meh, I dunno.
Streams are new to me. I'd rather have free VODs than free streams.

The popularity of most competitive games was built on clips and vods that we could download.

Anyway, WL Finals is KT vs SKT! Get hype!

[quote name='kainzero']Meh, I dunno.
Streams are new to me. I'd rather have free VODs than free streams.

The popularity of most competitive games was built on clips and vods that we could download.

Anyway, WL Finals is KT vs SKT! Get hype![/QUOTE]

They make far more money off of streams than VOD's because they can get away with way more advertising if it's live. So yes, I would rather have a VOD but I can understand why they charge.

[quote name='kainzero']NASL is charging $25 for a season pass.

Blah, I don't know why people think the game is good enough to be worth paying for to watch.[/QUOTE]

I think it's excellent entertainment, especially for that price. I currently pay for the GSL, (used to pay for MLG, but not anymore after this weekends fiasco) and will be paying for NASL. It's not much money. Maybe $20 every month spent for hours of entertainment. It's certainly cheaper than going out to a movie =/.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DarkRider23']I think it's excellent entertainment, especially for that price. I currently pay for the GSL, (used to pay for MLG, but not anymore after this weekends fiasco) and will be paying for NASL. It's not much money. Maybe $20 every month spent for hours of entertainment. It's certainly cheaper than going out to a movie =/.[/QUOTE]

I thought the NASL was a 3 month thing, so you would only be paying $20-25 for three months of content. That is cheaper than the GSL.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']They make far more money off of streams than VOD's because they can get away with way more advertising if it's live. So yes, I would rather have a VOD but I can understand why they charge.[/QUOTE]
well, i think empathy is different from the fundamental question of "will i pay for this or not?"

i think my problem is that BW has VODs up everywhere and you can watch for free, you can even watch live streams for free. when i hear "omg this game was sick! there was this insane move pulled off!" then i can go the next day and watch it, everybody talks about it now, interest builds freely.
whereas if it's paid, it becomes exclusive to only those who either saw it live or paid to have VODs, kinda stunting the growth and popularity of it.

but who am i to talk
i heard mlg dallas was huge

[quote name='Gamehead']I thought the NASL was a 3 month thing, so you would only be paying $20-25 for three months of content. That is cheaper than the GSL.[/QUOTE]

It is $20 for 3 months if you buy it now. I was just trying to average out what I spend on a monthly basis, but it seems like I overestimated what I spend.

[quote name='kainzero']
but who am i to talk
i heard mlg dallas was huge[/QUOTE]

Way too big. Dallas brought so much traffic to MLG's site that it crashed constantly and the stream didn't work correctly for the first 2 days because of all the traffic they were getting.

Played my first game in ages last night. I was drunk as an unusually liquored-up skunk. It was a PvT. Cross positions, I think, on... Metal?

I won, somehow. My opponent took a fucking century to expand, but didn't seem to be doing anything with all that time. Which is good, because I couldn't use sentries for shit last night. He floated a bunch of CCs at the end of the game when my only air presence was a pair of observers.

IPL games starting now; NASL goes live in about a half an hour. I'm hoping the timings work out just right so I can bounce between the leagues to get the games I want - Kiwi, NaDa, iNcontroL, Nani... why must you people play in different series' at the same time?

INcontroL looks to be up first, and it's laggy as fuck. Painuser and HD casting.

Ret Vs MC on the NASL right now in a best of three.

Ret took the first game, repeatedly denying MC's natural with speedling+roach.

Game two, MC delayed Ret's expansion with a fast cannon contain. After taking a base in another spot, Ret sent a nydus into MC's base with roaches and a pair of queens to fend off MC's voids. Ret wins the series 2-0.

EDIT: Damn. Just watched the VODs of the best-of-five between MC and Thorzain, a Swedish terran in the TSL. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXMWLWhHtUI
God damn, I do not know how Thorzain won some of those fights.

Last edited by a moderator:
New PTR. Notes:
Balance

* PROTOSS

o Archons are now a massive unit.

o Pylon power radius has been decreased from 7.5 to 6.5.

o Cybernetics Core

+ Research Warp Gate time increased from 140 to 180.

o Gateway

+ Sentry train time decreased from 42 to 37.

+ Stalker train time decreased from 42 to 37.

+ Zealot train time decreased from 38 to 33.

+ Warp Gate unit train times remain unchanged.

* TERRAN

o Ghost

+ Cost changed from 150/150 to 200/100.

+ Salvage resource return reduced from 100% to 75%.

* ZERG

o Spore Crawler

+ Root time decreased from 12 to 6.

Bug Fixes

* Fixed a bug where Ghosts could not quickly EMP the same location.

* Fixed a bug where players were still able to stack flying units on top of each other.

I like fucking love the archon change. I'm not particularly happy with the ghost change, but I'm not all broken up about it. I support the salvage change.

The big change - the modifications to pylon radius and build times to weaken 4gates - seem like a fairly clumsy solution to the problem, and definitely not my ideal, but I'll try 'em before I bitch about 'em.

This does not look good. Namely the decrease of gateway build time. I recall zealot build time pushed up because proxy zealot was pretty difficult to stop.
The pylon range reduction not only hinders 4gates from warping over clifft, but it also makes cliff cannon rushing more difficult too. (Time to re-evauluate all my 4v4 cannon rush positions...)

[quote name='KhaosX']This does not look good. Namely the decrease of gateway build time. I recall zealot build time pushed up because proxy zealot was pretty difficult to stop.
[/QUOTE]

I really don't know how that will work out. It's cool that they're finally addressing 4-gate, but Zealots building @ 35 seconds was next to impossible for a Zerg to stop early on even if they weren't proxied. This is pretty much going to screw us Zerg players in the ass again. We're now forced to open with Roach/Spines and spend all of our Larva on units, while the Protoss powers probes and zealots off a regular 2-gate while expanding. This change just makes the game more 1-dimensional yet again. Zerg can no longer open up econ against a Protoss. zzzzzz

bread's done
Back