Starfox Assault- $19.99 or $15 after GGC-Best Buy price drop

Nephilim

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
Price dropped today to $19.99 or $15 after Gamers Gift Card Coupon.

Online also:(backordered)
Starfox Assault at Bestbuy.com

For Collectors, this game comes in 3 cover flavors:
The first two were launched on Release Day with and without the Best Seller logo, like a few others including Paper Mario and Mario Tennis.
Here is a discussion about it:
Best Seller logo CAG discussion

-Original (no Best Seller, I managed to get this one)
484.jpg

-Origianl w/Best Seller Gold Oval on cover
g20805k7eat.jpg

-Players Choice (has Best Seller oval as well)
6887087.jpg

[quote name='coolsteel']Always heard this game wasn't that great, anyone with a personal opinion want to counter that? Or did I hear correct?[/QUOTE]
I think it's fine (worth $15-25), but not great (not worth $50). Others don't agree that it's worth $10. There is also Starfox Adventures, make sure you're not confusing the two. The problem with the GC Starfoxgames is the ground missions, which are entirely not Starfox. But other than a few of those, Assault is a decent Starfox game.

[quote name='coolsteel']Always heard this game wasn't that great, anyone with a personal opinion want to counter that? Or did I hear correct?[/quote]

I rented the game, and thought it was fun. I didn't think it was $50 fun, but it certainly-as-heck is cheap-ass $20 fun.

I'm gonna check my local Best Buy tomorrow and see if they have any in stock. When I was there 2 weeks ago, I recall seeing several copies.

I'm not sure I believe the zip code search on this one since no stores in the universe seem to have the game in stock. Either that or they're in the process of pulling all the regular copies to replace them with sucky "Player's Choice" copies.

This sort of happened with Destroy All Humans. The second it went Platinum Hits, suddenly all they had were Platinum Hits versions. All the regular copies miraculously disappeared.

[quote name='D. Monic']I'm not sure I believe the zip code search on this one since no stores in the universe seem to have the game in stock. Either that or they're in the process of pulling all the regular copies to replace them with sucky "Player's Choice" copies.

This sort of happened with Destroy All Humans. The second it went Platinum Hits, suddenly all they had were Platinum Hits versions. All the regular copies miraculously disappeared.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Best Buy "Pulls" the old Non-PC copies, they just sell through current stock and the restock with the Player's Choice. That is why now is the time to grab a copy if you want one of the old cover styles.

I haven't seen Starfox Assault in Best Buy in ages; I'm sure most stores are out of stock until they get new Player's Choice shipments.

I haven't seen this game anywhere in quite some time. I rented it when it first came out. Definitely not worth full price, but $15-20 is tempting. Those ground missions sure do suck.

If you like the Starfox series, the flying missions will make you cry tears of joy. They are gorgeous, are fun, and hit the old gameplay right on the nose.

Then you get to the ground missions. They aren't horrible, but at best they're mediocre. They're not that much fun, they're not too interesting, and I think Penny-Arcade (at least I believe they said this at one point) hit the nail on the head when they mentioned that you're on the ground all of the time, handling all the riff-raff while everyone else in your squadron is up in the air, doing sorties, having the time of their lives.

It's definitely worth the $15 to $20 if you're looking for a solid title for the Gamecube. It just was never really worth anything more than $30, to be fair.

Oh well, here's hoping that Nintendo will just pick up the series again, by themselves, and do it justice. Come on, N, do it for us...

In the op it says orginal and best seller covers. I bought the game the first day ( i know big mistake but i love Star Fox) and it had the best seller tab on it. Nintendo did that with a few of there games the day of release.
And the game is worth $20. The ground missions aren't the greatest but they aren't bad once you get used to the controls. If you are a Star Fox fan at all i would go get this.

Yeah, it seems silly that it always had a best seller logo. I picked up my copy from KB for $10 during the fall clearance and I was surprised to see the best seller's logo

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Yeah, it seems silly that it always had a best seller logo. I picked up my copy from KB for $10 during the fall clearance and I was surprised to see the best seller's logo[/QUOTE]

A search found this CAG thread that says there were actually 2 different labels AT RELEASE of this game and a few others. Weird, but I prefer the label without any other crap on the artwork.

Here is the thread:
Best Seller logo thread

[quote name='Nephilim']I had the choice of 2 copies today, one without the Best Seller and one with. I took the one without figuring that was the original. I have another copy here that I bought a year ago at TRU and it does not have the Best Seller either.

I am quite sure that the Best Seller was added after the original release of this game. Also, a Google image search revealed almost ALL without the Best Seller logo, which means that was Nintendo's original Retailer image.

Edit: A search found this CAG thread that says there were actually 2 different labels AT RELEASE of this game and a few others. Weird, but I prefer the label without any other crap on the artwork.

Here is the thread:
Best Seller logo thread[/QUOTE]

I got it at release and it had the Best Sellers logo.

This game is definitely worth $15-$20. I got it at GR using their preorder deal at release so I paid $30. It was worth that. It's one of the few games I've completed in the last year+. I still need to go back and get all the Silver medals to unlock Xevious. The game isn't too hard to get through all the missions (one of the knocks in many reviews), and it isn't too long either (another knock, and the main reason, in my opinion, that it isn't worth $50). I have to admit, though, what's keeping me from trying for all the silvers are a couple of those ground missions :D. But you can get a lot of replay out of this game if you want to go for golds.

My kids still play this game frequently as well. They like the multiplayer, which is something most people overlook entirely.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']online games are[/QUOTE]
I still disagree.
[quote name='mattcube64']Oblivion is $70 fun.[/QUOTE]
70 bucks for a game = nuts.

I'm marginally interested in this game, but I assume it's something I could finish in a rental period. I did try to pick it up in the TRU sale.

I checked out my local BB... sold out. I did pick up Resident Evil 4 with the gamer gift card coupon though (14.99). I figure I'll wait for the Player's Choice Version of Starfox.

Is this game sold out everywhere? or does best buy need to get a new shipment of the new covers? Because man... I soooo want this game right now.. it's totally making me hott.:hot:

I'm going to the petstore at lunch to pick up dog food. Both EB Games and Circuit City are right next door so maybe Ill get lucky.

Yea, they smacked "Best Seller" on Mario Tennis at release. Yea, I don't think it immediately sold THAT well. I hate added stuff; couldn't they just add a sticker on the shrinkwrap? (I know; costs more.) *Sigh*

Ya I have the five bestbuys around me that had more then a couple StarFox's. Day this sale switched I drove around because sometimes they have one even though online says they don't. This time though they were right. Completly sold out.

It is also available B&M at Circuit City. It still is marked $49.99 but rings up $19.99

It stayed in the mid to upper 30's until now. Good luck with that. I'll wait till they get a restock $15 after GGC is fine. Plus I get reward card points.

[quote name='D. Monic']Thanks OP. Picked up a non-PC, non-BS (Best Seller) copy at TRU tonight for $20.[/QUOTE]

You are welcome. Isn't your sig pic from a DIO album?

I picked it up from CC on Tues, and finished it under 5 hours. Moderate reply value. Air missions are good, but land missions are half-baked; you'll spend unnecessary time running around looking for land targets to eliminate cause the map is 2-D. Arwing Space station mission was the best, it'll rival Star Wars.

spoiler:

Story line has a striking similarity to the Borg from Star Trek: TNG and elements of StarShip Troopers.

I picked one up at Circuit City for $20. It will be on sale next week at CC for $15 according to the ad so keep your receipt and they will credit you the $5 back. Circuit City is a good place to find the game in stock. Mine had about 5 in stock and they were non Player's Choice and non best seller.

[quote name='Purkeynator']It will be on sale next week at CC for $15 according to the ad so keep your receipt and they will credit you the $5 back. [/QUOTE]

CC PM itself + 10%? YES!

that's awesome. is Dio the band that Jack Black references on his Tenacious D album? they any good?

"Dio has rocked, for a long long time... Now it's time for him to pass the torch. he has songs of wildebeasts and danger; he has soard on the wings of a demon." man that CD's got some great tunes.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']that's awesome. is Dio the band that Jack Black references on his Tenacious D album? they any good?

"Dio has rocked, for a long long time... Now it's time for him to pass the torch. he has songs of wildebeasts and danger; he has soard on the wings of a demon." man that CD's got some great tunes.[/QUOTE]

I am most likely older than you, but if you want to try it, get Holy Diver. That is the best of the albums in my opinion and the best place to start.

It's kind of butt-rock but has a few real stand out tracks like the title song, "Rainbow in the Dark" and "Don't talk to Strangers"

Check it out here
Holy Diver at Amazon

B000002KZ1.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

yeah, went back today for a price adjustment, Star Fox: Assault final price = $14.49.

saved myself $38 by going back to CC and CompUSA for price adjustments/returns!

Picked up Starfox Assault with the coupon. I've been having some fun with it for $15. But much more than that was always a stretch for such middling game design and content.

bread's done
Back