Starhawk - Out Now - Sequel to Warhawk - 9/20: Coming to PSN! SP Free for PS+! 1.04!

http://www.lightboxinteractive.com/3jszd40hw94gci23785ndhowfppqy7

The new update has added a skills system of perks:
The 1.2.9 update for the Starhawk Public BETA was deployed during the regularly scheduled server maintenance today, February 10 at 2pm Central time and included the following change:

Added the Skills-System.
Overview:
This kind of system is often referred to as "perks" by players and by other first-person shooters. However, the team here at LightBox Interactive is very aware of how "perk" systems can adversely impact the overall balance of a game and we've developed our system to avoid those problems as much as possible while still providing players with some really great incentives and unlockable goals. And to achieve this difficult balance, we've made a few very significant changes to the skills in Starhawk that set it apart from the skill-systems found in other games.

THERE ARE NO SKILLS THAT GIVE YOU MORE HEALTH, OR ACCURACY OR MORE DAMAGE!

You can only have a single skill active at any time and you can only change your skill if you are waiting to respawn. You can changes skills while you are alive however the change will not take effect until you respawn.

There is no "skill-tree". Players never have to unlock skills in order to unlock "higher-level" skills. In Starhawk, we provide players with a flat list of skills. We want players to be able to customize their character to suit their play-style without having to wade through a bunch of skills that they don't care about.

We are working very diligently to make sure that no one skill is significantly better than another. We want them all to be as equal as possible so that the Starhawk skill-system is more about focusing on personal play-style rather than grinding through incremental stages of better and better "buffs".

Unlocking skills in Starhawk still requires, well.... some skill! To unlock a skill you need 2 things: The required number of skill-points, and the required prerequisite.

Skill Points:
Skill points are awarded to the player every time they level-up. Currently in the BETA we have each skill requiring 2 skill-points. This means that you get a skill ever two levels. You can see your skills and how many skill-points you have by selecting the "Skills" screen from your Uplink. The number of skill points you have available is displayed in the upper right corner of the screen.

Why skill points? Well, flexibility really. We wanted to be able to adjust as needed and while we very much want to make sure all skills are as equal as possible and require the same number of skill-points to unlock them, we are just trying to plan ahead just in case we want to try unlocking skill every level, or a skill every 3 levels or experiment with skills that cost different amounts.

Prerequisites:
These are like trophies or achievements. Things you have to do in-game to prove your skill. For example, the pre-req for the Scavenger skill is "Get a kill with every troop weapon in a single game".

When you activate your Skills screen in the Uplink, you will see a list of all your locked skills and then on the right side of the screen, you will see the prerequisites listed for each one. Initially, they will all be displayed in RED because you have yet to perform the required actions. Once you have however, the prerequisite will be displayed in GREEN informing you that the skill is now available for unlock -- given you have enough skill-points, of course!

Are some skills too powerful or are some simply not worth unlocking? Are the prerequisites too hard to get or too easy? Let us know on Twitter, Facebook or the Forums!

http://www.lightboxinteractive.com/...net-dust-a-new-map-for-the-starhawk-beta.html

New 32-player map coming with the next update:
As many of you know the team here at LightBox Interactive is constantly releasing new updates for the Starhawk Public BETA. We're currently working on developing the 1.3 Update which includes a bunch of new features and content. One of the new additions is a massive 32-Player map on the Planet of Dust.

We always get asked when the 1.3 Update will be released and the answer is "when we are happy with it". Even though it's still "just" a BETA, Sony Santa Monica and LightBox Interactive have a very specific set of benchmarks (quality & features) that we need to hit before we're comfortable releasing it to our players around the world. It's a very large update we're working as aggresively as we can to bring you guys an even deeper and more compelling multiplayer experience!

Last night at the studio we took a couple of screen-shots from the latest build so you guys could get a quick glimpse of the new MP Map we're working on adding to the Starhawk Public BETA -- Have a look!

Dust_Large_work_in_progress.jpg

I agree darkerspy, Warhawk is much better. That said they are releasing a new map this week, I think its a big map, hopefully it has all the vehicles too.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/03/08/starhawk-beta-update-32-players-tanks-jetbikes/

Update 1.3 with the new map is now live:
Hey Starhawkers! Finally, the day has come. We’re launching our Beta Update 1.3 today! We’re really happy with this new content and we hope you like it, too. Check out this video to see what I’m talking about…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbf7j095Gd8

Since our Starhawk Beta launched in November, we’ve collected soooo much great info. The bugs found would never been nailed down without your efforts and we are confident we’ll be giving you one of the best online experiences on PS3 with the final version of the game. Many balance and feature changes were made as a direct result of player testing. Please accept a sincere “THANK YOU!” from our team.

We have one final big step to make before release. Update 1.3 includes a bunch of new features and fixes including:

6964769339_868d6d8ec4_z.jpg

6964769385_e0bb80fbb0_z.jpg

32 Player Map: Planet Dust

If you thought 8 vs 8 was fun, things just got EPIC!

6818650230_9bf9769d24_z.jpg

Sidewinder Jetbike

This vehicle is all about speed, speed, and more speed. As it’s a very hard target to hit, use the Sidewinder for quick hit and run attacks, fast road kills, or team up with others to SWARM the enemy base.

Did we mention it jumps, too?

6964770079_2e03a6fb22_z.jpg

6818650552_47b8d1a520_z.jpg

Ox Heavy Tank

Say hello to our little friend. What the Ox lacks in speed, it makes up for in pure brawn and firepower. You can destroy enemy walls and structures via long range bombardments, assault mechs with explosive shells, and survive barrages while comfortable nestled in its heavily armored shell.

If you’ve been holding off joining the Beta then the time is now to jump in. The Starhawk Beta ends on March 27th in preparation for our May 8th release. Time is short, so find out what you’ve been missing — the Starhawk Beta is available for FREE on the PlayStation Network right now.

Go get it while you can!

There's still no health bars.
And "heavily armored shell" my butt... thing goes down faster than a submarine with a screen door.
It also makes no sense that it takes four shots (unless I routinely missed the same amount last night, as every hawk I took out took four shots) to take down a hawk when it takes four shots to take down another tank. Also, the crosshairs are horrible (or I'm just used to compensating for drop in BF3) as it's a bitch to try to get your shells to go where you want them to if it's not a straight, clear shot to the target.

I havent played in a week. but i remember the biggest bug they have is that you can't quick connect ever since the public beta went live. their servers couldnt handle the increased traffic. this has been going on for 3 weeks. i cant imagine a better way to kill off people trying out your game.

im level ~18/19 post stat reset too. i easily put in over 20/30 hrs. i love running people over and base raping. but sometimes i wonder if i can't join a game after 5 tries of quick connect.

mguiddy - what do you think is more powerful hawks or jetpack/rocket launchers?

[quote name='enufs8d']
mguiddy - what do you think is more powerful hawks or jetpack/rocket launchers?[/QUOTE]
I haven't played much.
I don't really like the building system
I only tried it out again because of the tanks so that's what I did the hour I played the other night.:lol:

so i put in a few hours with the tanks. theyre fun. but youre right mguiddy, the hawks can shred you like tissue paper. one hawk one hit swarmed missiled me. theyre really fun to take down buildings. plus they great blast radius against ground troops.

i made the cag clan if anyone is interested. dust is way too big. if your team is full assholes filling up your building limit with useless walls and turrets, then its going to be a long slow painful match. most of it will be done walking across the map.

Tanks are dead with one unguided missile.
I actually thought they put TOWs in the game because I'd constantly just blow up and see that it was a missile from a hawk so I asked the pilot (a friend) and he said it was just unguided. :lol:
But yeah, it's nice to have something that can destroy buildings relatively easily.

I think there needs to be a lot of balancing and add in some freaking health bars. It's hard to tell how close a tank/turret/etc is to blowing up based solely on the visual damage.

I'm skipping this game. The newbs just camp inside the base, spam building random stuff, taking up the infrastructure limit. In CTF, 20 minutes could go by with neither side having capture a flag. Lack of people starting outpost spawns in the middle of the map, so you rarely see things being built in the middle of the map. You just see random skirmishes going on in a large bland map.

Yep
This is exactly why I'd love a "Pre-Built" mode with some pre-made bases that can't be destroyed with, maybe, some limited player construction.

I see where they were going with the "build and battle" thing, but it expects way TOO much out of the player.

[quote name='mguiddy']Yep
This is exactly why I'd love a "Pre-Built" mode with some pre-made bases that can't be destroyed with, maybe, some limited player construction.

I see where they were going with the "build and battle" thing, but it expects way TOO much out of the player.[/QUOTE]

I dont think the pre-built would matter, there is a few layouts that have differing start up pre-builds, btu its amazing to see build another one anyway. I swear I have seen 3 or 4 jeep factories within a small radius way too many times.

What skill are you using? I am switching between more ammo (gives the tank 3 shots at a time) and the collect rift anywhere you are all the time. That really does come in handy since it lets you build bigger things faster.

And I am still unhappy witht he overpowering of the hawks. I know this game is StarHAWK, but still they can take out a tank before you even know whats going on. The tanks need to be stronger both firepower way and aromor way.

And why do people try to snipe a tank??

[quote name='fuss']I dont think the pre-built would matter, there is a few layouts that have differing start up pre-builds, btu its amazing to see build another one anyway. I swear I have seen 3 or 4 jeep factories within a small radius way too many times.

What skill are you using? I am switching between more ammo (gives the tank 3 shots at a time) and the collect rift anywhere you are all the time. That really does come in handy since it lets you build bigger things faster.

And I am still unhappy witht he overpowering of the hawks. I know this game is StarHAWK, but still they can take out a tank before you even know whats going on. The tanks need to be stronger both firepower way and aromor way.

And why do people try to snipe a tank??[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed that they're starting to have some pre-built things, but I basically want a "classic mode" that's basically Warhawk. :lol:
And yeah, I don't think some people know you can just make a new hawk/tank/jeep.

Skill... this game has skills... Haven't really played much. :oops:

:rofl:
People did that in Warhawk... always makes me laugh.

[quote name='mguiddy']Yeah, I noticed that they're starting to have some pre-built things, but I basically want a "classic mode" that's basically Warhawk. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Ah, that would be an awesome "loadout". Where you could not build anything and if you blew something up it popped back in about 60 seconds lol. I would go for that.

Skill... this game has skills... Haven't really played much. :oops:
Ya, check it out. I do find it strange because I swore they were braging how everybody would be on an even field. Guess not. But I would say go for the skill where you get rift all the time.

:rofl:
People did that in Warhawk... always makes me laugh.

I love it because it shows me where to shoot LOL.

[quote name='metaly']Tanks with wheels??[/QUOTE]

LOL well if it helps they are really not taks, just bigger, slower jeeps with bigger guns that you can shoot without having to hop in the back seat.

IS there some way to do artillery shelling with the tanks? I think I've seen a dashed parabolic line coming from them a couple of times.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']IS there some way to do artillery shelling with the tanks? I think I've seen a dashed parabolic line coming from them a couple of times.[/QUOTE]

Ya hit right on the d-pad and the gun selection changes. It takes a few seconds to be able to fire off the first round to prevent too much spamming. It shoots 2 at a time, 3 if you have the extra ammo skill point active. An effective, but total d**k, way of using it is to sit on the other side of the rocks of the base and just spam over to the other side in a blind fashion. This spamming method also works well on the scourge map (or whatever the name of the non-space map is).

[quote name='fuss']Ya hit right on the d-pad and the gun selection changes. It takes a few seconds to be able to fire off the first round to prevent too much spamming. It shoots 2 at a time, 3 if you have the extra ammo skill point active. An effective, but total d**k, way of using it is to sit on the other side of the rocks of the base and just spam over to the other side in a blind fashion. This spamming method also works well on the scourge map (or whatever the name of the non-space map is).[/QUOTE]
Thanks.

I guess I'm in the minority based on the opinions shared so far, but I'm really enjoying this beta. Not enough to pre-order but if I didn't have a backlog, I might've considered it.

I'm gonna add a couple of you fools to my friends list, as I just got a PS3 and need some peeps to frag.

Don't know if I'll really be playing this beta that much, but maybe we could get a private CAG match together?

http://www.lightboxinteractive.com/...starhawk-server-stress-test-starts-today.html

The devs are asking everybody to get on to help them do some server stress tests today and tomorrow:
The Stress-Test will start right after our maintenance on March 21st at 2pm Central time and will continue until March 22nd at 2pm Central time.

We want as many players to play the Starhawk BETA during this time and especially during the *PEAK* time of 6pm Central. Why 6pm Central? well, its because that's the time when there is the biggest overlap of global players from Europe, Asia, North America and South America.

https://www.facebook.com/PlayStation/app_353708818001944

You can get a free code for a MP skin by watching the new trailer on Facebook.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...st-starhawk-trailer-on-facebook-get-free-dlc/

Greetings PlayStation.Blog and Starhawk fans! You may have noticed how our past trailers have focused on the things that make Starhawk so much fun to play. Build to Kill was all about the fun of building a base and defending it against attack. Ride, Drive & Fly gave people a taste of what you can drive and pilot in-game. Our latest trailer is all about the fun of teamwork, it’s called “Build Your Team” and it’s exclusively on Facebook.

Just click here to give it a view. You may recognize some familiar faces. Very familiar.

For those of you who have tried Starhawk already, you know that skills can get you far, but teamwork can get you further. The game becomes something completely different when you play with your friends and start working together. That’s what our latest trailer is about. It also stars an “interesting” cast of characters.

FREE DLC!
As a bonus, everyone who watches the latest trailer can get a voucher for a special Starhawk Multiplayer skin that will be available at the launch of the game! (North America only, one per each Facebook account)

May 8th launch day is less than a month away, so be sure to pre-order your copy. Don’t forget you can score over $20 in bonus DLC and a Free Month of PS+ just by pre-ordering at GameStop.

To see more great things about Starhawk stay tuned right here on the PlayStation.Blog or visit us at StarhawkTheGame.com in the Community Section!

I really feel that they just wanted to add as many "bullet point features" to this game and somewhere along the lines forgot about making it fun and balanced. I will be very surprised if this does well. WHich sucks b/c Lightbox is an awesome company but we deserve better from Dylan Jobe. Maybe the SP is great. Coop sounded cool enough

Yeah... The main bullet point I wish they would've erased is the "Build and Battle." :lol:

Regardless, I'll still pick it up eventually, not day 1, but sometime after for sure.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/05/01/all-starhawk-beta-players-will-receive-free-gifts/

You guys were really great beta testers, so as a “thank you” for your participation we’re giving you two exclusive items.

The first is The Hand of the Founder. It’s an exclusive character accessory for anyone who played in the BETA. It’s a gold, glowing, atom-looking thing that is bonded to your right hand. It’s intended to be a way to show off to your friends and everyone else online that you were one of Starhawk’s founders. That you had a hand in its creation!

The second item is the Warhawk Paint Set. It includes two exclusive vehicle paint schemes that you can use to customize any of your vehicles in Starhawk. The Warhawk Paint Set is available to any Starhawk Beta tester who was *ALSO* a Warhawk player. You get the olive-drab military look of Warhawk’s Eucadians as well as the stealthy, black and gunmetal look of the Chernovans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t7dKDKob1g

Thoroughly looking forward to this. Comes out the day after my finals so I'll have plenty of time to "kill"

I really wish they didn't have the online pass thing. My son and I have two different accounts and play on different PS3's. I don't think I would get my money's worth from me playing, but if both of us could play, it may be worth it, but I don't want to pay $60 plus another $10, especially with Max Payne and Ghost Recon right around the corner.

[quote name='bjstucker']Didn't get a chance to play the beta preordered at GS though here is to hoping it doesn't suck.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I just did and hope. Also, hope the MP skin is still available from facebook.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']I really wish they didn't have the online pass thing. My son and I have two different accounts and play on different PS3's. I don't think I would get my money's worth from me playing, but if both of us could play, it may be worth it, but I don't want to pay $60 plus another $10, especially with Max Payne and Ghost Recon right around the corner.[/QUOTE]

If you have both accounts on both PS3 you can just download the pass on each system. Even though it's won't be the same profile that downloaded it that will play it, it won't matter. Or at least in my experience so far with these online passes. Have two PS3 here and I do that for all games so if my brother wants to play the game online he can.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/05/08/starhawk-out-today-mlg-tournament-all-map-packs-free/

Secondly, and this is the announcement that you guys probably were *NOT* expecting…there was a lot of discussion here at LightBox Interactive and Sony Santa Monica on how best to support the community and keep our player base all together as one cohesive group. We really didn’t like how in Warhawk when we released a new map pack, it forced these divisions on our players. And after we released three expansions, our player community was pretty fractured. With Starhawk that ends! We are incredibly excited to announce that all map packs for Starhawk will be free. Yeah, you read that right…FREE. Whenever we release a map pack you won’t have to pay a friggin’ dime! And we’ve already started the early stages of our next map pack for you guys. Check out these very early sketches from the new planet of Cypress! A lush, swampy world that’s home to an abandoned research facility that many years ago was responsible for researching the mysteries of Rift Energy.

Now certainly we’ll have some paid DLC content in the future as well as our free map packs, but we’re still playing around with what that will be. We’re going to be looking to see what the player feedback is on Starhawk in the coming weeks to help steer the DLC that we develop for you all. This is our commitment to all of you, the players. I hope you all get a chance to enjoy Starhawk – not only with today’s retail release but for the months and years to come!
I'm glad that they've learned from the mistakes of the Warhawk DLC.

You know, had this been on PC as well I might've given it a fair shake. It honestly reminds me of Planetside scaled down. I just hate console controls for online shooters.

[quote name='Thongsy']If you have both accounts on both PS3 you can just download the pass on each system. Even though it's won't be the same profile that downloaded it that will play it, it won't matter. Or at least in my experience so far with these online passes. Have two PS3 here and I do that for all games so if my brother wants to play the game online he can.[/QUOTE]

That's good to hear. I will try that.

Ohh, release day update awesome, I'll let this run while I eat dinner. Ooh it had an error, let's restart. #goingonanhour #iamthecheapestgamermoment

The campaign is a bit different than I was expecting, though I may be used to heavily-scripted shooter campaigns and this more open campaign is a nice change of pace.

I am finding both the single and multiplayer portions of this game to be very very satisfying for a change. Add me on PSN and invite me for some co-op or multiplayer mayhem anytime.

Spyder187

bread's done
Back