Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mr. Sax Appeal']Hmm... Gothic bundle or Neverwinter Nights 2?[/QUOTE]

Although both are RPGs they are fairly different in terms of play style. NWN 2 is the Bioware familiar queue-and-pause style game play where you control an entire party and issue orders in psuedo-real time combat. I haven't played it since it first came out and only played the original campaign and while decent I remember it being fairly linear and the story a bit meh. It's not a bad game by any means but nothing I found memorable.

Gothic, on the other hand, has you control only one person in sort of an ARPG style of combat although much more nuanced than a typical click-fest. Additionally the game worlds are huge and lend themselves to a ton of exploration, side questing, etc. There are also tons of skills, professions, crafting, etc. Keep in mind, however, the first two Gothics have somewhat awkward controls compared to modern games which put some people off. Also the graphics are obviously dated but still look good unless you're a person who can only tolerate bleeding edge stuff.

[quote name='mr_bungle']I know AA is on steam, but does it support XBL achievements? IIRC the one on the GFWL marketplace has them.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the Steam version of Batman AA has Games for Windows Live Achievements.

I was just thinking yesterday that we were almost 1/4 of the way through the year, and I hadn't purchased many games (DA2 & Rift). Then today Steam forced me to buy Sacred 2, Gothic III revamp, and Gothic IV.

Would owners of Batman: AA GotY say it's worth it at $7.50?

EDIT: Just pulled the trigger anyway. Metacritic.com convinced me. =)

[quote name='projectionist']Would owners of Batman: AA GotY say it's worth it at $7.50?

EDIT: Just pulled the trigger anyway. Metacritic.com convinced me. =)[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[quote name='projectionist']Would owners of Batman: AA GotY say it's worth it at $7.50?

EDIT: Just pulled the trigger anyway. Metacritic.com convinced me. =)[/QUOTE]

Doubt you'll regret it

i spent 19 hours total on batman and enjoyed every second. got all the riddler trophys. when i get time, ill eventually put some more hours in to finish all the challenges.

I'm a big fan of the Gothic series (1 and 2 (Raven expansion)). Anyone somewhat interested in the series should definitely pick the two titles up. The sword fighting was the most enjoyable experience in all of my gaming experiences. Mmm, mm mm

[quote name='dfg']Speaking of, is the Raven expansion included in the Gothic pack?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you get Gothic 2 gold which includes the Night of the Raven expansion.

Quick question
The package with Gothic 1, 2, and 3 and then 3 Enhanced

Is enhanced just regular Gothic 3 with the latest patch?

I think I might just get 3 Enhanced if it's the same as Gothic 3 regular

So I purchased Gothic because it's one of my all-time favorite RPG's... but now steam wont let me play or download it because it's not Mac compatible. Anyone know of a way to get it to run on a Macbook?

I just beat Batman:AA (GOTY) for the second time (first was on 360) and that game is still freakin awesome. Love the combat. The collectibles are probably the best I've ever encountered. They're well marked, straight-forward with their logic, and best of all they all tend to point to nooks and crannies of the Batman lore. $7.50 is a steal. Even has its own set of LIVE achievements.

Looks like the weekend deal is F1 2010 for $19.99. I think you can get it for $16 on D2D with the coupon code.

I was hoping they would match D2D's NFS:HP price but I guess I'll just buy it from them.

Edit - It is also a free weekend for Lead and Gold and the game is 75% off at $2.50 (or $7.50 for the 4 pack, $1.88/each). And Ghostbusters: The Video Game is 50% off at $9.99 to celebrate the release of Sanctum of Slime.

I think I might make my first Steam purchase since the winter sale...

Lead and Gold 4 pack just sounds too sweet to pass up. I am going to give it try first tonight and see if its fun. They just released some free DLC for it as well. I love the free weekends on steam. Its great to try before you buy.

[quote name='sp8001']I think I might make my first Steam purchase since the winter sale...

Lead and Gold 4 pack just sounds too sweet to pass up. I am going to give it try first tonight and see if its fun. They just released some free DLC for it as well. I love the free weekends on steam. Its great to try before you buy.[/QUOTE]

Lead and Gold is a great game. It's just too bad that the servers have been so dead lately. Hopefully the free weekend causes the scene to pick back up again.

[quote name='jezz.torrent']Lead and Gold is a great game. It's just too bad that the servers have been so dead lately. Hopefully the free weekend causes the scene to pick back up again.[/QUOTE]

2nding. Fun game and easy to get into. I was just wishing I had kept some of the 10-pack they were offering last Xmas sale so I could gift out to my friends. Now I can do it for just a little more.

:bouncy:

edit: Altho it sucks that I can't get a discount on the 4 pack... directly...

has anyone gotten sacred 2? all of a sudden i have this fierce urge to play a looting diablo clone. now i regret not buying titan quest gold and the witcher when they were 5$ each. i watched a few video reviews of it, but they were conflicting each other. cant make up my mind. i loved torchlight btw

[quote name='JakeNome']has anyone gotten sacred 2? all of a sudden i have this fierce urge to play a looting diablo clone. now i regret not buying titan quest gold and the witcher when they were 5$ each. i watched a few video reviews of it, but they were conflicting each other. cant make up my mind. i loved torchlight btw[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Sacred 2 is awesome. Has a huge wide open world structured sort of like a MMO but it's a pure hack and slash. The loot in the game is great as is the character building. It can be a bit buggy, and the graphics are great fully maxed but you need a solid video card. I played through it with my wife and we both loved it.

[quote name='JakeNome']has anyone gotten sacred 2? all of a sudden i have this fierce urge to play a looting diablo clone. now i regret not buying titan quest gold and the witcher when they were 5$ each. i watched a few video reviews of it, but they were conflicting each other. cant make up my mind. i loved torchlight btw[/QUOTE]

You can buy the Titan Quest bundle (original game and immortal throne expansion) at Amazon for $9.37, shipped. It's not $5, but it's also not $20. $10 is a good price for about 80 hours of entertainment. I loved it.

If you get Titan Quest, seek out the fan patch. It fixes a lot of stuff that was broken in Immortal Throne; the dev team was disbanded right after Immortal Throne came out and didn't get to make any post-release patches. It fixes a lot of little problems with the game (the base game as well as the expansion), and one or two huge ones. It's also 100% compatible with the steam version; I consider it a must.

You may also be interested in seeing what the dev team is up to now. They are an independent studio now, making a new ARPG called Grim Dawn. It's got a similar realism flavor to the graphics that Titan Quest had. I am really looking forward to it, although I'm concerned that Diablo 3 may raise the bar much higher than Grim Dawn.

[quote name='jezz.torrent']Lead and Gold is a great game. It's just too bad that the servers have been so dead lately. Hopefully the free weekend causes the scene to pick back up again.[/QUOTE]

3rding. It's very easy to pick up and it's great fun. The only things I have against it are:

-Lack of players.
(No longer a problem. Just checked, and there are LOTS of people playing. Hopefully that amount of players extends past this weekend.)
-Gunslinger's Fan ability. Basically turns the Gunslinger's revolver into a machine gun. It's range is incredibly short, but it downs you before you have any time to react. The Blaster's shotgun is also capable of one-shotting fools, but it's a bit more fair as the range is still incredibly short, and if you miss with both barrels, you're an easy target.
(It looks like the fire rate on the fanning ability was capped to prevent cheating in the latest patch. Hopefully that makes it a bit easier to survive an encounter with a Gunslinger.)
-Spawn camping. On some maps, it's SUPER easy to dominate if you can make your way over to right below the other team's spawn point.
(This was also addressed in the latest patch. I don't know how well though.)

That's such a good deal that it makes me sad I already own packs 1-3 (but not 4) and it would cost me only two dollars more to buy all the games instead of just the missing pack.

A warning for those interested in the Genesis Collection:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1809367

Even though they are listed on the news post. Sonic 1,2,3 and Knuckles, as well as Mean Bean Machine and both ToeJam & Earls are NOT actually listed when you purchase the set. You will not receive them (as of now). Not sure what the issue is here, but figured I'd post this in case.

I kind of want to wait to buy it, in case the games are eventually added back in, but who knows they could raise the price or something on me.... decisions.....

EDIT: Looks like they updated the news post, and took all 6 of these games off. Lame.

[quote name='gcorlett']You can buy the Titan Quest bundle (original game and immortal throne expansion) at Amazon for $9.37, shipped. It's not $5, but it's also not $20. $10 is a good price for about 80 hours of entertainment. I loved it.

If you get Titan Quest, seek out the fan patch. It fixes a lot of stuff that was broken in Immortal Throne; the dev team was disbanded right after Immortal Throne came out and didn't get to make any post-release patches. It fixes a lot of little problems with the game (the base game as well as the expansion), and one or two huge ones. It's also 100% compatible with the steam version; I consider it a must.

You may also be interested in seeing what the dev team is up to now. They are an independent studio now, making a new ARPG called Grim Dawn. It's got a similar realism flavor to the graphics that Titan Quest had. I am really looking forward to it, although I'm concerned that Diablo 3 may raise the bar much higher than Grim Dawn.[/QUOTE]

i had no idea the TQ team was still working together. Grim Dawn looks pretty nice graphics-wise.
i think im just gonna wait till the sale ends. i shouldnt be wasting time with a rpg rite now. i just cant help but think about buying these games when i see them on sale. damn sales.
also, i only buy pc games on steam.

Even without the sonic/toejam titles, it's a great deal. Probably going to wait a couple days before purchasing to see how/if any changes are made.

The Genesis pack has Alien Soldier, Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage, and Gain Ground. Seriously, I'm not going to miss Sonic at all.

[quote name='vherub']Even without the sonic/toejam titles, it's a great deal. Probably going to wait a couple days before purchasing to see how/if any changes are made.[/QUOTE]
The contents aren't going to change.

I read on another forum that Crysis 2 was cheaper for people in the UK. Any UK'ers here can see if it is true? It is $60 for us in the states, suppose to be like $48 for you guys if the person wasn't lying.

If the price is cheaper, I might have to find someone willing to gift for paypal, I want to play it as I've had an itch for a scifi ish fps for awhile.

[quote name='JakeNome']i had no idea the TQ team was still working together. Grim Dawn looks pretty nice graphics-wise.
i think im just gonna wait till the sale ends. i shouldnt be wasting time with a rpg rite now. i just cant help but think about buying these games when i see them on sale. damn sales.
also, i only buy pc games on steam.[/QUOTE]

I going to have to recommend TQ as well, solid Action-RPG with a huge amount of character customization.It should be a crime to like the genre and not buy the game when it's dirt cheap. Fairly easy to pick up and play for a bit at a time too; I work full-time and am a full-time student as well so I put most of my time in as 30min-1 hour increments.

I liked Torchlight too, but it hasn't hooked me the same way. I think I like TQ more than D2.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']Yeah, Sacred 2 is awesome. Has a huge wide open world structured sort of like a MMO but it's a pure hack and slash. The loot in the game is great as is the character building. It can be a bit buggy, and the graphics are great fully maxed but you need a solid video card. I played through it with my wife and we both loved it.[/QUOTE]

As Sacred 2 is still on sale, here's how to install Ice & Blood with the US base game. (Take note of the multiplayer section.)

And you can take a stab at the Community Patch.

[quote name='Pck21']I bought Lead & Gold at that amazing price. Can anyone recommend Sacred 2 or Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum?[/QUOTE]

several people recommended Sacred 2 above. though apparently the expansion for sacred 2 is not available on steam. if i pay 10$ for that game, id want the whole thing.
i dont know about nwn2. from the video reviews i saw of it, its more of a squad based dungeon crawler rpg, like Dragon Age. doesnt have the same fast-paced beat-em-up feel as a game like Sacred 2.

thx to all you guys for recommending sacred 2, but i think in the end, im gonna pass on it. i started playing torchlight again, and now i cant stop thinking about the steam achievements that i didnt get for it. so i guess ill get those b4 i buy another dungeon crawler. unless of course titan quest gold goes on sale again.

also, The Chronicles of Riddick™ Assault on Dark Athena is on sale for $5

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back