Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gcorlett']You can buy the Titan Quest bundle (original game and immortal throne expansion) at Amazon for $9.37, shipped. It's not $5, but it's also not $20. $10 is a good price for about 80 hours of entertainment. I loved it.

If you get Titan Quest, seek out the fan patch. It fixes a lot of stuff that was broken in Immortal Throne; the dev team was disbanded right after Immortal Throne came out and didn't get to make any post-release patches. It fixes a lot of little problems with the game (the base game as well as the expansion), and one or two huge ones. It's also 100% compatible with the steam version; I consider it a must.

You may also be interested in seeing what the dev team is up to now. They are an independent studio now, making a new ARPG called Grim Dawn. It's got a similar realism flavor to the graphics that Titan Quest had. I am really looking forward to it, although I'm concerned that Diablo 3 may raise the bar much higher than Grim Dawn.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the heads up with the amazon price. picked up one of the last copies

[quote name='Guerrilla']http://www.sega.com/games/sega-genesis-classic-collection-gold-edition/

I want the Genesis collection, but they may release the Gold collection on Steam for $29.99. It's basically the current collection, plus Sonic collection and TJ&E (which is currently under renegotiation).[/QUOTE]
I can't rightly imagine paying $20 just for Sonic and TJ&E, in light of the current deal making the games about 25 cents each. I do love the first TJ&E, but really, Alien Soldier and Gain Ground. I don't think I'm going to miss Sonic all that much.

[quote name='Matedawg11']Gothic and Batman aren't on sale anymore :([/QUOTE]
Shouldn't be a surprise. They were the midweek deals.

[quote name='legendarydogs']When do you guys think counter strike source is going to be on sale? I wanted to buy a copy.[/QUOTE]

We really don't have ways to predict that kind of thing, so anything anyone tells you isn't going to be much more than a complete shot in the dark.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']We really don't have ways to predict that kind of thing, so anything anyone tells you isn't going to be much more than a complete shot in the dark.[/QUOTE]

Well, more in general, like when does steam do big sales or have valve games on sale.

[quote name='legendarydogs']Well, more in general, like when does steam do big sales or have valve games on sale.[/QUOTE]

The two big Steam sales are Summer (June or July?) and Winter/Holiday (December) sales. A lot of games are on sale throughout the whole 10 day period or whatever, but each day there's about 5-8 daily deal games that are even cheaper than their individual sale price. Usually it's best to wait until the last set of daily deals to see if something you want will become cheaper.

if someone can help me out

i will send $4 paypal gift you may keep the $1.50 for your help if you would like to help me out add me my stam name is mikede/Mike|RAWR also i am paypal verified so no fees all you need to do is email the gift to my friends email email

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']@gamerarw:
Just curious...if you have Paypal, why don't you just use it on Steam?[/QUOTE]
theres a rule that even though the game is on sale you still must have the full retail price in your balance i dont i would need 9.99 its a dumb rule

After playing L&G a bit, I think I would have been fine just taking advantage of the free weekend. Suppose 3 hours for $2.50 is a fair deal tho.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is on sale for $5.00

Of course you also get the remastered Escape from Butcher Bay which was much better on PC when it was originally released IMO.

[quote name='gamerarw']theres a rule that even though the game is on sale you still must have the full retail price in your balance i dont i would need 9.99 its a dumb rule[/QUOTE]

This is not true. When Steam passes you off to Paypal, they pass off for the balance of the cart. Paypal has no idea how much the original price is, and Steam has no idea how much is in your paypal account.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Damn... this is a good deal. The entire SEGA Genesis Classics Collection is on sale for $10. That's 40 SEGA games for $10 bucks, not bad.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7683/[/QUOTE]
Anybody get these? Is it worth it and are they all loaded into one interface or will I have hundreds of games added to my library?

[quote name='spacebooger']Anybody get these? Is it worth it and are they all loaded into one interface or will I have hundreds of games added to my library?[/QUOTE]

It shows up in your list as one item, "Sega Genesis & Mega Drive Classics," which acts as a launcher from which you run the individual games, which technically count as pieces of DLC.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It shows up in your list as one item, "Sega Genesis & Mega Drive Classics," which acts as a launcher from which you run the individual games, which technically count as pieces of DLC.[/QUOTE]
Thanks!

[quote name='gcorlett']This is not true. When Steam passes you off to Paypal, they pass off for the balance of the cart. Paypal has no idea how much the original price is, and Steam has no idea how much is in your paypal account.[/QUOTE]

Seen the same thing mentioned countless times however. However it works, it does seem to be true.

[quote name='Pheace']Seen the same thing mentioned countless times however. However it works, it does seem to be true.[/QUOTE]
I've never had an issue using paypal with steam and I never keep a balance in my account.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It shows up in your list as one item, "Sega Genesis & Mega Drive Classics," which acts as a launcher from which you run the individual games, which technically count as pieces of DLC.[/QUOTE]

I will also mention the launcher is pretty worthless - it sorts the games by pack (and then alphabetically within the pack) and you've got to click through each game to get to the one you want instead of, say, choosing from a list. I would have actually preferred them be added as a list compared to the launcher that they provided.

[quote name='Kevbo887']So im assuming the Batman deal is no longer up and running huh?[/QUOTE]

It was last week's Midweek Madness deal. Midweek Madness deals usually run from Tuesday to Thursday, so of course it's not still running the next Monday.

[quote name='eastx']Sorry for the lack of updates over the weekend. Been really busy lately! Thread is updated now though.[/QUOTE]

we're all really mad at you. ;)

[quote name='Tsukento']Ghostbusters is currently $9.99 on Steam (discounted from $19.99). PC version doesn't have multiplayer, though.[/QUOTE]
Not to mention it was just $4 during one of the holiday sales.

What really gets to me is the Dreamcast "Collection;" $15 for 4 [probably poor] ports? (Not to mention the fact that Sonic Adventure DX was already ported to the PC ages ago.) They should have called it the Dreamcast Quartet or Dreamcast Tetrad.

At least one thing's for sure: All the Dreamcast heavy hitters are absent in that bundle.

How is the SEGA Genesis Classics Collection? It looks like it could be good (only $10 after all), but I really don't need a bunch of crap games sitting in my backlog...

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Not to mention it was just $4 during one of the holiday sales.

What really gets to me is the Dreamcast "Collection;" $15 for 4 [probably poor] ports? (Not to mention the fact that Sonic Adventure DX was already ported to the PC ages ago.) They should have called it the Dreamcast Quartet or Dreamcast Tetrad.

At least one thing's for sure: All the Dreamcast heavy hitters are absent in that bundle.[/QUOTE]

needs more ikaruga.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']I can't find SEGA Genesis Classics Collection when I run Steam. They are all separate. What do?[/QUOTE]

Strange. I bought the full collection, but when I select it in my library and pick "Store page", it just takes me to the main Steam store page instead of the page for that game. Looks like the pulled the complete collection from the store for some reason and now you can only buy them as part of the four 10-packs.

Update: Actually, I was able to get to the collection by going to the "Specials" section, but not by searching. Oh well, it still looks like you can get it for $9.99.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Strange. I bought the full collection, but when I select it in my library and pick "Store page", it just takes me to the main Steam store page instead of the page for that game. Looks like the pulled the complete collection from the store for some reason and now you can only buy them as part of the four 10-packs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it did that Friday when it first went on sale too. It's still there though....
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7683/

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Not to mention it was just $4 during one of the holiday sales.

At least one thing's for sure: All the Dreamcast heavy hitters are absent in that bundle.[/QUOTE]
The port in the collection is different, as it runs at a constant 60fps. The old one suffered the same problem the GameCube port did; bouncing about between 15fps and 30fps.

And obviously the collection isn't a definitive collection, nor does it imply it's trying to be. It's just a compilation games that were released on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network digitally that are now available on disc for the 360, with a first time digital distribution method for PC users. Obviously they're not going to pack in games that aren't already available on XBL/PSN.

[quote name='houdinilogic']needs more ikaruga.[/QUOTE]
Not made by Sega.

[quote name='killerinthesand']OMFG Call of Duty Blackops DLC deal. 14.99 to 13.49 hellz yeahz, I love saving $1.50 ON DLC. Come on, this is why I hate crap of duty.[/QUOTE]

You hate Call of Duty because Steam doesn't give you a big enough of a discount on it's DLC?

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Not to mention the fact that Sonic Adventure DX was already ported to the PC ages ago.)[/quote]
So were Crazy Taxi and Bass Fishing, actually.

At least one thing's for sure: All the Dreamcast heavy hitters are absent in that bundle.
To be fair, I at least considered Crazy Taxi to be nothing less than a killer app for Dreamcast, in it's early life. Sonic Adventure was a pretty big deal, too, before everyone realized how wretched it is.

[quote name='Indignate']You hate Call of Duty because Steam doesn't give you a big enough of a discount on it's DLC?[/QUOTE]
Not to speak for him, but I'm going to guess he hates Call of Duty for having the balls to charge $15 for 4 maps to begin with.

[quote name='Tsukento']It's just a compilation games that were released on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network digitally that are now available on disc for the 360, with a first time digital distribution method for PC users. Obviously they're not going to pack in games that aren't already available on XBL/PSN.[/QUOTE]
But they did. Neither Bass Fishing or Space Channel 5 Part 2 were available on XBLA/PSN, so you can stop talking about what's "obvious."

Last edited by a moderator:
Dammit, I wish I'd paid closer attention... I thought I'd be able to sit at my computer and buy Lead and Gold tonight for two and a half bucks. Looks like I thought wrong.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Dammit, I wish I'd paid closer attention... I thought I'd be able to sit at my computer and buy Lead and Gold tonight for two and a half bucks. Looks like I thought wrong.[/QUOTE]

If you're really looking to get the game, don't fret. It's gone on sale like 6 times in the past 6 months. It'll definitely go on sale again.

Any idea how long the Genesis/Dreamcast Collection sales will run? I'm getting some dosh on the first and need to know whether I should try and go for it now.

I hear you, Coffee; Even in the case of Sonic Adventure 2, the game may not be amazing, but the heavy amount of work put into it by Sonic Team is clearly visible.

I don't have anything against the games chosen for the Dreamcast Tetrad, and I understand SEGA wanted to bring their existing ports to the PC for customer testing and ease of development purposes. Nevertheless, the end result is a "collection" of only four games. That's not much of a deal unless the price is right, and $15 is steep for games that are, indeed, 7+ years old.

Steam has spoiled me, and I make no excuses for that. Nevertheless, I stand by my conclusion.

I suspect the Sega games will be hit with greater discounts during one of the bigger sales, like the Perils of Summer or the Holiday sale. I might be wrong, but I find that price for Dreamcast games that seem at least somewhat buggy based on the steampowered forums to be unappealing. If I wanted to play more than Streets of Rage 1 & 2 (if they had 3 perhaps) among those titles, I'd probably find the $10 for Genesis games to be more interesting.

Perhaps if it had Toejam & Earl and the Sonic games, I'd be on board. As it is, most of those games I have no interest in playing again. I look forward to the day when Nintendo finally gives up making hardware after Apple smashes them in portables and Steam smashes all home consoles to dust. Then those libraries can all come into Steam and I can buy them during a Steam sale. ITS GONNA BE HOT.

Haha, well, a man can dream...

Grabbed the Genesis/Master System collection last night. I passed on the smaller bundles last time they were on sale because they lacked the Shining Force games. Having those as well as several other titles I would play around with made it worth the ten bucks.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']But they did. Neither Bass Fishing or Space Channel 5 Part 2 were available on XBLA/PSN, so you can stop talking about what's "obvious."[/QUOTE]
Sega Bass Fishing came out several days before Dreamcast Collection was released. Space Channel 5 Part 2 was announced before Dreamcast Collection was being set for release.

So yes, it's obvious this collection is just a packaged version of what's available/planned to be available on XBLA/PSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back