Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
with jamestown, does it register on steam if purchased through direct2drive or gamersgate? it seems to be steam-required but is unclear

edit: bought thru direct2drive, got a code to activate on steam

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='vherub']with jamestown, does it register on steam if purchased through direct2drive or gamersgate? it seems to be steam-required but is unclear[/QUOTE]

From D2D's Jamestown page:

This product is not eligible for refunds and requires a 3rd party download to play.

I'm inclined to believe that means Steam.

Midweek Madness: Darkspore $29.99 40% off
4 pack for Darkspore is $89.99

Daily Deal is: Secret of the Magic Crystals $2.49 50% off

Darkspore most have bombed, it has been out only like 6 weeks

No joke, Magic Crystals looks like the most awesome horse game ever. Too bad they fixed their description though. When it was first released, the description was so poorly translated.

Just saw that they had a Free to play games banner and installed Champions Online and Forsaken World. Anyone play either of them?

Too bad I already have Secret of the Magic Crystals from one of the $5 bundles during the holiday sales, or I'd totally be taking advantage of this opportunity to look at the deal and declare that there's no way I'm ever buying this. Oh well, missed opportunities and all that.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Midweek Madness: Darkspore $29.99 40% off
4 pack for Darkspore is $89.99

Daily Deal is: Secret of the Magic Crystals $2.49 50% off

Darkspore most have bombed, it has been out only like 6 weeks[/QUOTE]

I think it wasn't that bad it just wasn't any good either.

I am really liking the fact that steam has free to play games now. This way me and some friends could pick a game and not have to worry about paying for it and not being able to run it (because some of my friends are on lower end machines).

How are any of the MMO's listed there. I know I am not going to get WoW quality, but are any at least somewhat decent?

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I am really liking the fact that steam has free to play games now. This way me and some friends could pick a game and not have to worry about paying for it and not being able to run it.

How are any of the MMO's listed there. I know I am not going to get WoW quality, but are any at least somewhat decent?[/QUOTE]

5 so far.

The 2 I've got experience with are Global Agenda and Spiral Knights. I only gave Spiral a few minutes of my time, but I'd say it's classic Sega ARPG. It's got some qualities from PSO, the GBA zelda games (4 swords mostly) and some Diablo. I'm liking it so far, but we'll see if it has lasting appeal. Also, no paid items yet. We'll see if they ruin the game in the future.

GA is a bit of a strange one. I don't know how inhibiting the free aspect of it is, as I bought it day one, but I like it a fair amount. The PvE is a bit mindless, but the PvP feels pretty balanced and can be a lot of fun. Progression is fairly slow and at the start, you're at a huge disadvantage. But as you unlock more talents and more gear, you start to develop your own play style. I'd give it a few hours before you make a concrete decision.

Both definitely worth some time though, considering the price.

EDIT: Forgot AvA is there. Some decent CS style gameplay. Apparently a fair amount of hackers though. Definitely check it out if you like arcadey multiplayer shooters.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']5 so far.

The 2 I've got experience with are Global Agenda and Spiral Knights. I only gave Spiral a few minutes of my time, but I'd say it's classic Sega ARPG. It's got some qualities from PSO, the GBA zelda games (4 swords mostly) and some Diablo. I'm liking it so far, but we'll see if it has lasting appeal. Also, no paid items yet. We'll see if they ruin the game in the future.

GA is a bit of a strange one. I don't know how inhibiting the free aspect of it is, as I bought it day one, but I like it a fair amount. The PvE is a bit mindless, but the PvP feels pretty balanced and can be a lot of fun. Progression is fairly slow and at the start, you're at a huge disadvantage. But as you unlock more talents and more gear, you start to develop your own play style. I'd give it a few hours before you make a concrete decision.

Both definitely worth some time though, considering the price.
[/QUOTE]
I may need to try Spiral Knights, and maybe forsaken world. I just recently reinstalled guild wars because I wanted my MMO fix, but I have no one to play guild wars with. If I can find a few people to play those with, maybe I can have more fun. Still though I wish they could Steam League of Legends. I think Europe has it Steamable.

I'm also curious about Spiral Knights and Forsaken World, maybe Global Agenda. Spiral Knights looks like something I'd enjoy, not sure about the others.

Finally, more ways to enjoy Steam without throwing my wallet at it.

Dunno if anyone else has raid, but EA has pulled Crysis 2 off Steam and off their Crysis 2 site as a place to get it from and now it is "exclusively" from Origin (though it still is on other DD sites lol)

Seems they are wanting to push their shit on us.

Hopefully they wake up and realize they fucked up before BF3 comes out. Otherwise I'll be buying BF3 through retail, I can't even remember the last PC game I bought through retail lol.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Hopefully they wake up and realize they fucked up before BF3 comes out. Otherwise I'll be buying BF3 through retail, I can't even remember the last PC game I bought through retail lol.[/QUOTE]
If BF3 comes out exclusively through Origin, I'm definitely skipping it at launch. Maybe down the road at sub-$20, but definitely not at launch.

I just noticed the Crysis 2 thing.

Seriously EA? Why is it EA takes a while and they slowly creep back up and make everyone think "Hey we're not douchy like Activision! WE PROMISE! Here look, a new Dead Space! ....quick take down EA games on Steam Nothing to see here nothing to see."

Why don't companies understand that we want our games through Steam, use Steam-works, and use their damn server system so I can join on my friends list.

Does anyone really believe that EA can take on Steam? Better yet, does anyone think we need ANOTHER digital distribution service? I literally want to do nothing but play BF3, but if it is exclusive to Origin I'll skip launch. What do you want to bet they launch on BOTH and have exclusive guns on Origin? uuuuggghhhh (I'm butthurt)

As I said when I saw this posted "Yo ho YO HO A PIRATES LIFE FOR ME!"

wow thats some stupid stuff. they better not remove the previous games from steam. I havent even gotten the chance to play my mass effect yet. either way, they lost me as a future customer. eventhough i only buy their games when theyre on super sale. actually, I only buy any game if its on super sale.
if i ever even find time to play games again, and I want to play their shit, then that shit is getting pirated.
this probably wont ever happen, but if steam merged with onlive then no one could even try to compete with them. that would be my dream for steam.

You people need to calm the hell down. Yes its a crappy move of them to pull down Crysis 2 like that but they own the ip, its their decision even though they will lose the money. EA is about business first and looking to maximize profit which is why they are pushing their own digital service so they would not have to pay any royalties. I for one think this is good in the long run. As much as I love steam, we need competition. In the end consumers will win.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']You people need to calm the hell down. Yes its a crappy move of them to pull down Crysis 2 like that but they own the ip, its their decision even though they will lose the money. EA is about business first and looking to maximize profit which is why they are pushing their own digital service so they would not have to pay any royalties. I for one think this is good in the long run. As much as I love steam, we need competition. In the end consumers will win.[/QUOTE]

The problem with this is, Origin is just selling EA games. Maybe in the future EA will try and expand Origin to beyond their games, but who knows, if they were planning to do it soon they would have mentioned it in all their Origin crap they been talking about it.

Sure we do need another strong competitor in the digital market, maybe Impulse or D2D will step up a lot more now that they both have been bought out.

Oh, one other great thing about Origin. You can not back up your games and you can only download them for a year. lol

Steam does need competition. What EA is doing is not that. They're pulling games off steam and trying to pull them into their own store by offering the game either as exclusive or other things. Competition would be where you could get the games at both places. (in which the consumer would go to the better choice)

If the games exclusive there is no competition as you can only get it from one place.

[quote name='Terlan']Steam does need competition. What EA is doing is not that. They're pulling games off steam and trying to pull them into their own store by offering the game either as exclusive or other things. Competition would be where you could get the games at both places. (in which the consumer would go to the better choice)

If the games exclusive there is no competition as you can only get it from one place.[/QUOTE]
But how is this different than Steam of the past, when it first launched? It was a) pushed on gamers who didn't want it when they bought Half-Life 2, b) only sold games by Valve at first, IIRC and c) is required to play them?

It's just their version of Battle.Net, an exclusive DD retailer/service that's required for their games.

Is it a shame we can't buy these through Steam? Sure. I'm not exactly for them removing it from Steam. But I don't get the torch-and-pitchforks reaction I'm seeing to this either around the net.

i guess i wouldnt care as much if EA had never been on steam. for example, blizzard games have never been on steam, and im not pissed at them. id like it if their games WERE on steam, but their business strategy is their business strategy. i think im getting annoyed because im afraid that Origin might become a competant service in teh future if it expands beyond EA games. if that happens, i dont want to have to think about possible switching to it or using it alongside steam. i only want to use one program. i actually have origin (ea download manager) installed already cuz i have a few free games on it. but i never use it. wtvr, my business doesnt really affect them since im a small spender, so they can do whatever they want. but for now, im only buying steam games, since thats where my whole library is.

[quote name='KaOTiK']
Oh, one other great thing about Origin. You can not back up your games and you can only download them for a year. lol[/QUOTE]

Source?

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']But how is this different than Steam of the past, when it first launched? It was a) pushed on gamers who didn't want it when they bought Half-Life 2, b) only sold games by Valve at first, IIRC and c) is required to play them?

It's just their version of Battle.Net, an exclusive DD retailer/service that's required for their games.

Is it a shame we can't buy these through Steam? Sure. I'm not exactly for them removing it from Steam. But I don't get the torch-and-pitchforks reaction I'm seeing to this either around the net.[/QUOTE]

I think it's partly, because there simply wasn't a platform like this back then.

Now there is. And it's helped PC gaming get back on it's saddle quite a bit. But this move by EA (if it is one) seems to be about slicing up the pie, and could come at a cost of splitting up the community as a result. Even worse if more and more will start doing so because of it.

I agree people don't really want one too big a fish running around, but the thought of countless little ones that we're forced to spread around personally annoys me far more.

Maybe we can get some kind of multi client gathering our games from all services or something.

When Origin and Blizzard start having crazy $5 sales, then we'll talk about competition. Until then, I'm going to assume that Crysis 2 (and any other game they take off Steam) is going to stay pretty close to full price, and as such I won't be buying it. Maybe I'm a bad customer for waiting for sales, but some money is better than none.

[quote name='Vegan']When Origin and Blizzard start having crazy $5 sales, then we'll talk about competition. Until then, I'm going to assume that Crysis 2 (and any other game they take off Steam) is going to stay pretty close to full price, and as such I won't be buying it. Maybe I'm a bad customer for waiting for sales, but some money is better than none.[/QUOTE]

Actually EA Download Manager (aka Origin) has pretty good sales pretty frequently. Most of them have been posted on here as well. Some of their older games like Mercs 2, MoH: Airborne, etc. have even gotten almost as low as $5, I think I got them for $6?

[quote name='AcrylamideTic']Actually EA Download Manager (aka Origin) has pretty good sales pretty frequently. Most of them have been posted on here as well. Some of their older games like Mercs 2, MoH: Airborne, etc. have even gotten almost as low as $5, I think I got them for $6?[/QUOTE]

I don't do sales tax. Just saying.

[quote name='KaOTiK']...
Oh, one other great thing about Origin. You can not back up your games and you can only download them for a year. lol[/QUOTE]

I hate to continue this off topic discussion but are you sure about the 1 year limit? I know EA downloads were pretty restrictive when they first started but I would be very surprised if Origin limits your downloads if they want to compete with Steam.

And how can they stop you from backing up your game? Can't you just download it and copy the files wherever you like?

[quote name='Xealot42']I hate to continue this off topic discussion but are you sure about the 1 year limit? I know EA downloads were pretty restrictive when they first started but I would be very surprised if Origin limits your downloads if they want to compete with Steam.

And how can they stop you from backing up your game? Can't you just download it and copy the files wherever you like?[/QUOTE]

Don't worry its not true. I had NFS shift registered well over a year ago(when it came out) and I can still download it on a different new laptop I got in may

[quote name='6er']Don't worry its not true. I had NFS shift registered well over a year ago(when it came out) and I can still download it on a different new laptop I got in may[/QUOTE]

Part of the EAdownloader ToU states that the access to the game will be at least a year. This pretty much gives EA an out if they so choose to terminate providing the service, not really that you only have 1 year to enjoy your purchase.

I'll be glad if Origin makes it to the level of Steam. Having to pay sales tax on digital games is stupid so as long as Origin isn't based in WA, I'll be good.

Quick question while we are all off topic, if you purchase a game, i.e crysis 2 before it was removed from the store you can still redownload it from steam can you not? or is it possible at some point that after it is removed from the store you will no longer have access to it at all in your game list?

The nerd rage has been strong over the past few hours about this topic.

[quote name='Xealot42']I hate to continue this off topic discussion but are you sure about the 1 year limit? I know EA downloads were pretty restrictive when they first started but I would be very surprised if Origin limits your downloads if they want to compete with Steam.

And how can they stop you from backing up your game? Can't you just download it and copy the files wherever you like?[/QUOTE]

It's not that they take away the service after a year, they only promise "no strings attached" downloading for a year. After that, anything's game. As it stands, they don't do jack to you after a year. but they could. The likelihood is that it's cover-our-ass only, and they probably won't disable people from downloading if they care to compete with Steam.

Honestly, I don't see why people have their panties in a twist about this. Valve has been doing this with theirs and other games for quite a while now. Look at the Bethesda games which are Steam only, and of course Valve's very own games. No one ever complained then. I think the fact that EA is doing this shows how much they believe in Origin, and shows how hard they will work on it to make it a viable competitor.

I'm all for this to be quite honest.

I think my only real problem with Origin is not that it's another service where you can only get a company's games, but well EA to me is a company of greedy fucks who will do anything to nickle and dime consumers, and this is another cheap way of doing it.

I don't mind Blizzard having their own separate way of doing things, because they don't feel the need to charge $60 for a roster update or $20 for a pack of virtual items for a Sims game.

[quote name='drakesvg']Quick question while we are all off topic, if you purchase a game, i.e crysis 2 before it was removed from the store you can still redownload it from steam can you not? or is it possible at some point that after it is removed from the store you will no longer have access to it at all in your game list?[/QUOTE]
Games you've purchased that are later removed from Steam are still available for you to play or download.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I don't mind Blizzard having their own separate way of doing things, because they don't feel the need to charge $60 for a roster update or $20 for a pack of virtual items for a Sims game.[/QUOTE]

$25 mount, and various $10-$20 pets. I'd say those are somewhat comparable to Sims items.

[quote name='gage006']I'm enjoying Spiral Knights so far. Love that it automatically adds your steam friends to your in-game friends list.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I'm surprised how few games that are on Steam use Steamworks. It's pretty awesome.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']
I don't mind Blizzard having their own separate way of doing things, because they don't feel the need to charge $60 for a roster update or $20 for a pack of virtual items for a Sims game.[/QUOTE]

But Blizzard does keep their their game prices artificially high. Rarely do we see sales on SC2, and even the Diablo 2 Battle Chest was $40 in 2010, 10 years after release, with occasional sales down to $20. Even today, it's $30 on Amazon. $30 for a game that was released 11 years ago, and never ever a price below $20. Chart of Diablo Price History at Amazon

Yay \\:D/ for Blizzard that their games are good enough that the market supports this. But :cry: boo for PC gamers who have grown accustomed to steep price falloff. It is one of the reasons that I don't play Blizzard's games since WC1, WC2, and Diablo 1. I feel grudging admiration for Blizzard, but I feel passionate adoration for Valve and their near-free games.

[quote name='gcorlett']But Blizzard does keep their their game prices artificially high. Rarely do we see sales on SC2, and even the Diablo 2 Battle Chest was $40 in 2010, 10 years after release, with occasional sales down to $20. Even today, it's $30 on Amazon. $30 for a game that was released 11 years ago, and never ever a price below $20. Chart of Diablo Price History at Amazon

Yay \\:D/ for Blizzard that their games are good enough that the market supports this. But :cry: boo for PC gamers who have grown accustomed to steep price falloff. It is one of the reasons that I don't play Blizzard's games since WC1, WC2, and Diablo 1. I feel grudging admiration for Blizzard, but I feel passionate adoration for Valve and their near-free games.[/QUOTE]

While that is true, their battle chests also do include a game + expansion + strategy guides for both games so it isn't just as if an 11 year old game is $30.

And actually the old version also contained Diablo 1 (which does make the new version a bit worse at $30).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back