Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sotc1988']Picked up Civ IV complete on the daily deal. I tried playing the tutorial last night but I didn't know it was going to be over an hour, I had to quit and I'll play that game when I've got a huge chunk of time to devote to civ. I think the turn-based stuff will take getting used to.[/QUOTE]

IIRC the "tutorial" in Civ 4 isn't a seperate event. It's just extra guides overlayed on a regular game. Your "tutorial" game might take 20 hours to play. :D But yes, this is not a game for casual gamers. A full game of Civ on normal settings can take 15-25 hours. Civ 4 introduced a slider for time scale, so you can play a quick game that only takes a few hours, but it's not satisfying and your units become obsolete way too quickly.

I like me some civ 5, tho i hear mixed feelings on the changes they made to it. Was the first turn based game i have played that i have had that "one-more turn" moment turn into 230am.

The downside is, it was my sons' copy so i can only play when he isnt playing a steam game. Guess maybe i should buy my own copy if i could find it for a decent price.

[quote name='jr8rulz']I like me some civ 5, tho i hear mixed feelings on the changes they made to it. Was the first turn based game i have played that i have had that "one-more turn" moment turn into 230am.

The downside is, it was my sons' copy so i can only play when he isnt playing a steam game. Guess maybe i should buy my own copy if i could find it for a decent price.[/QUOTE]

Log into his account then put yourself in offline mode. Can play fine that way long as you play them offline. And he can log into his account just fine in the meantime.

[quote name='Pheace']Log into his account then put yourself in offline mode. Can play fine that way long as you play them offline. And he can log into his account just fine in the meantime.[/QUOTE]

That really works? I would've assumed that you can't be simultaneously logged in on two different machines, period.

[quote name='dfg']That really works? I would've assumed that you can't be simultaneously logged in on two different machines, period.[/QUOTE]

Yup you can do that. I have my laptop in offline mode for Steam and am always online with Steam on my desktop.

The Civ 5 devs actually did comment about this and were not happy about it either as it was not intended to be used that way (in terms of LAN)

[quote name='VindictiveGnome']I have a new gaming laptop and I'm thinking about buying Left 4 Dead 2. Should I wait to see if it goes on sale during the summer steam sale?[/QUOTE]

If you can wait then yes. Its a type of game that always goes on sale.

[quote name='VindictiveGnome']I have a new gaming laptop and I'm thinking about buying Left 4 Dead 2. Should I wait to see if it goes on sale during the summer steam sale?[/QUOTE]

I have an extra copy, that I can gift for cheap. PM-ed.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']If you can wait then yes. Its a type of game that always goes on sale.[/QUOTE]

Quite literally every game in the store goes on sale at least 10%, and the Valve games are guaranteed to have bigger 1-day cuts, if the sale format is like previous sales. If the sale even happens. Not trying to jinx it here.

My point is that there's no great reason to pay full price for *any* game on Steam right now, with a summer sale so close (last year: June 25 - July 5).

I would buy the left for deads if they went on sale too, i have a ps3 so i haven't ever gotten to experience the left 4 dead goodness.

[quote name='gcorlett']Quite literally every game in the store goes on sale at least 10%, and the Valve games are guaranteed to have bigger 1-day cuts, if the sale format is like previous sales. If the sale even happens. Not trying to jinx it here.

My point is that there's no great reason to pay full price for *any* game on Steam right now, with a summer sale so close (last year: June 25 - July 5).[/QUOTE] I was wondering the date of the summer sale. Thanks.

[quote name='VindictiveGnome']I was wondering the date of the summer sale. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Don't count on the sale occuring during those exact dates. He was just stating when it happened last year. We don't know when it'll be starting this year. But ending it near July 4 again seems like a logical assumption to make.

[quote name='DPsycho']Civ games are notorious for "one more turn" turning into "Oh Shaq-fu it's light outside." You seriously need to devote an entire Saturday to it if you're hoping for a game in one sitting, especially on larger map settings.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I had one game I played for like five hours a day for five straight days. I had managed to update nearly everything and was on the fifth future upgrade. Quite disappointed that it ended because I could have conquered my allied civ.

[quote name='dmdragon']I would buy the left for deads if they went on sale too, i have a ps3 so i haven't ever gotten to experience the left 4 dead goodness.[/QUOTE]

You sir are missing some great fun, don't fret they go on sale often since they are Valve games.

As said above, every Valve game goes on sale during their major sales, and often outside of those sales too (like whenever L4D or TF2 get an update). Just wait a month, they'll surely get discounted in for the Summer sale.

I hope the daily deals aren't gone but it is weird not to see one.

Edit- I guess that game is the daily, wonder why it doesn't say it on the front page.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Someone tell me if this game is worth it.[/QUOTE]
It's a time waster.
It's rinse and repeat gameplay so it's not going to hold up for long periods of time but if you want a pick up and play game for short bursts it's ok.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Someone tell me if this game is worth it.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty bad. I got it for a dollar during a Christmas sale and $2.50 is kind of stretching it. Not much in the way of variety (For enemies/weapons/maps), super simple combat, bad AI. Wouldn't recommend it. Even for a simple arcade shooter where you rack up points I'd say it's not worth it.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Harvest Phantom Ops $10 75% off

Game looks like bloom central and has horrible meta scores for reviewers and users, ouch.[/QUOTE]

You don't see scores that low very often.

[quote name='crupp']Anyone else starting to feel the rumblings of the Summer Sale? Can't wait![/QUOTE]

Whats the summer sale like? Im new to PC gaming and just recently got on Steam. What prices can I expect?

[quote name='wurms']Whats the summer sale like? Im new to PC gaming and just recently got on Steam. What prices can I expect?[/QUOTE]

the crrrrrrazy kind. :)

[quote name='paz9x']I enjoyed the demo and its on my short list of games to buy over the upcoming sale. Im tempted at $10.45 but with a 2-pack available on steam i think ill wait it out.[/QUOTE]

I have this. It's worth waiting. At release, there were only 3 maps, with 20-25 rounds of baddies each. The whole game only takes about 4-5 hours to complete.

It's fun though. It's just not a whole lot of game.

Since release, the developer has added a co-op map and another regular map, which I guess is good news. The dev seems very interested in feeback and a close relationship with the players. But at release, it was a very thin game.

Let time go by. More maps, balace fixes, and cheaper price.

[quote name='crupp']Anyone else starting to feel the rumblings of the Summer Sale? Can't wait![/QUOTE]

Hell yes. Cant wait. I figure it starts 7-10 days from now.

[quote name='houdinilogic']the crrrrrrazy kind. :)[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Thoe only other sale that I've seen that vame close was the oler gogamer sales....where I got. A 1 year old RS:vegas 2 for 5 bucks and several 2 year old games for under 5. ONLY THIS IS BETTER! Historically speaking of course

[quote name='gcorlett']I have this. It's worth waiting. At release, there were only 3 maps, with 20-25 rounds of baddies each. The whole game only takes about 4-5 hours to complete.

It's fun though. It's just not a whole lot of game.

Since release, the developer has added a co-op map and another regular map, which I guess is good news. The dev seems very interested in feeback and a close relationship with the players. But at release, it was a very thin game.

Let time go by. More maps, balace fixes, and cheaper price.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. Did you have any interest in replaying the maps or were you done after one playthrough?

[quote name='paz9x']Thanks for the response. Did you have any interest in replaying the maps or were you done after one playthrough?[/QUOTE]

I played for a bit longer on a harder setting, then lost interest. But then again, I have a good-sized backlog and was eager to move on to other things. I don't regret getting it, it's just that it feels a bit brief. It's not like other TD games with copious maps. Also, it's pretty hefty on system requirements for a TD game. Quad Core is recommended in the specs! The Steam forums have a lot of people complaining about that because it appears much lighter than it is.

Here's the Sanctum review I wrote in Steam community:

Sanctum is a welcome twist on the Tower Defense ("TD") genre. In Sanctum, you roam the map, FPS-style, adding your own firepower against the invaders. You can choose to upgrade your personal firepower in the same way you upgrade your towers. The most useful mindset is to think of yourself as a mobile tower that augments your fixed towers. Along with the usual kill pits you build in TD games, you'll find yourself creating several kill corridors -- straight walkways that you can pearch at the end of and get maximum use out of your personal weaponry.

At release there are are only 3 maps, but more are promised. 4-6 hours of entertainment, playing once through. More maps will help this game.

You can play mutliplayer, too.

I give Sanctum a recommendation to fans of TD. Others should probably start with a more traditional TD game like Defense Grid, which offers more maps, more polish, and a better all-around value. Still, Sanctum is worth a look. Watch for the promised extra content.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Summer sale started I think June 24th last year. So hopefully same time this year, so close :D[/QUOTE]

Woot, I hope so. I have a 500 dollar bonus on my check 2 days before, BRING IT ON!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back