Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is, it was specifically meant for Steam it seems. The installer you got specfically said F3 GOTY CODE, and it even gave instructions how to install steam and enter the code. (And this was Gamestop's shop ... so odd)

Add to that, you could buy in dollars, and I'm from the EU. $15 for FO3 GOTY on Steam, I wasn't complaining :p

[quote name='Pheace']The thing is, it was specifically meant for Steam it seems. The installer you got specfically said F3 GOTY CODE, and it even gave instructions how to install steam and enter the code. (And this was Gamestop's shop ... so odd)

Add to that, you could buy in dollars, and I'm from the EU. $15 for FO3 GOTY on Steam, I wasn't complaining :p[/QUOTE]

Pheace speaks the truth. I followed that thread closely here. There were many people who were buying Fallout 3 GOTY for, what, $15(?) on the gamestop website, and they were receiving Steam keys, and activating them on Steam. I don't think this would work anywhere else with Fallout 3 GOTY though, or at retail site.

Still, that list that Steam maintains on their forum is the closest thing we've got to official. Unless I see a good number of people succeeding, like that F3 GOTY thread or Humble Indie Bundle, I wouldn't expect anything else to work. especially not a minor game like Kings Bounty.

Speaking of registering on Steam, You know what is a good deal? If you can get your hands on any old disc of Half-Life 1, any edition, if you register it you get every game from Half-Life Patinum Edition. Valve's pre-Steam keys didn't differentiate between half-life editions, so if you register one, they just give you every pre-Source game they have, including DoD, TF, CS, HL, Opposing Force, Blue Shift... a crazy number of old games, most of which are totally playable. Keep that in mind, CAGs, when you see a Half-Life disc at a yard sale in a jewel case with its registration key.

[quote name='gcorlett']...Keep that in mind, CAGs, when you see a Half-Life disc at a yard sale in a jewel case with its registration key.[/QUOTE]

Gunman Chronicles codes unlock the pack, as well. Too bad that the game itself isn't on Steam.

I enjoyed playing through Wings of Prey with the 360 controller. There is a demo on Steam.

Also, just noticed CoD 4, Modern Warfare 2, and MW2 DLC are 50% off.

Edit - Looks like that is for the Midweek Madness.

Think I'm going to bite on COD4. Just got a new laptop the other day and played the Black Ops free weekend, wanted to get a COD fix without breaking the bank. This should meet my needs.

:edit: meh maybe for the extra $5 I'll just get MW2, probably a better online community right?

Honestly I doubt it'd go on sale even more - since it's never been more than 50% off and it's been 50% off the last few sales. The most you'd probably save is another 5 bucks IF the retail price drops to the retail price of COD4 since that's been ancient and still only 50% off.

[quote name='dallascowboys']Advice on MW2 (in terms of price)? Does anyone think it'll be cheaper during the Summer Sale, being that this is the cheapest it's gone so far?[/QUOTE]

Modern Warfare went on sale during last years Summer Sale as part of the Call of Duty pack - $29.99 for Call of Duty, United Offensive, Call of Duty 2, World at War and Call of Duty 4.

It was priced at $29.99 at the time, so maybe they will do some sort of bundle that has MW2 in it this summer.

[quote name='mrsamsa']Advice on MW2: don't buy it for multiplayer. Lack of dedicated servers has killed it.[/QUOTE]

Aye, I cant find any people to play with. Is it the same thing for Cod4?

Yeah, can anyone comment on the online population for these games? Want to buy one but would like to know more about the online community before making the purchase.

Someone on the CoD4 Steam forums said there is tons of people still playing CoD4 and it has dedicated servers.

Edit: I'm in for CoD4. It's downloading now.

Can I buy the dlc for MW2 even though I have a physical copy? I remember some versions like Borderlands needs the steam version, but this one seems worded differently in the description.

Do get Cod4 for multiplayer. It's better balanced than MW2 and has dedicated servers so there's still a significant population. Also the single player is excellent. MW1 is one of the best PC online shooters. almost a zen experience (except for the noob tubing)

[quote name='caldazar']How is the SP campaign on COD4:MW? Should I snag it for $15, or wait for Battlefield 2 to go on uber-sale for $5 again?[/QUOTE]

SP in MW is about the best straight up action fps I've ever played. the SP in MW2 is a bit better gameplay-wise, but the story is confusing and not as good.

Summary: COD:MW has excellent single player and excellent multiplayer with an active community.

[quote name='jaide']Any recommendations on the Frozenbyte Collection?[/QUOTE]
My own personal recommendation would be to wait for a cheap sale on Trine. I didn't like the other two games that much.

MW1 and 2 both have really good SPs, though MW2 is a bit of a wankfest.

If you wanted CoD MP, though, you probably would've bit on Black Ops. We won't see it cheap for a long time.

Shadowgrounds is pretty dull as far as top down space alien blasting shooter games go.

Also, you could've gotten them on the Frozenbyte HIB a while back.

[quote name='mrsamsa']Advice on MW2: don't buy it for multiplayer. Lack of dedicated servers has killed it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not advocating people to buy MW2 but, but base on the Steam stats MW2 is easily neck and neck every day with Black Ops on the amount of players on Steam. Both games peak at around 35,000 players each day (w/ 10K currently as of this post).

As for CoD4, very similar stats with ~10K currently playing (as of this post) as well.

Of course since MW2 uses P2P match making, certain players where the game is much less popular/populated will find themselves at a big latency disadvantage when pared with players from other regions (and a much longer wait time to get matched).

Since you asked...

Me on Shadowgrounds:
Shadowgrounds is spooky and fun. An excellent example of the alien shoot-em-up genre. I really enjoyed Shadowgrounds, more than the spinoff game "Sahdowgrounds: Survivor."

It's about a 12-hour game. This game tells a longer, more complete story than "Survivor" does.

One warning: This game states "co-op" play. it's local co-op only. There is no Internet co-op support, or LAN support. Both players have to be playing together on the same computer.

Me on Shadowgrounds Survivor:
Shadowgrounds: Survivor is a fun little game, although not as complete as the original Shadowgrounds. It's like Shadowgrounds Lite.

Less story, less complicated. Fewer weapons. More Levels, shorter levels. More action.

It's brief; about 5 hours.

I'd recommend this to fans of the top-down alient shoot-em-up genre. But play the first Sadowgrounds game first..

Me on Trine:
This game is good for about ten hours of gameplay, but I was ready for it to be over after five. The experience gets old quickly. The hard bits (few that there are) are more about precision timing than puzzle solving, and thats disappointing.

Steam puts this game on sale for $5 all the time; don't pay more than that.

[quote name='boneless']Can I buy the dlc for MW2 even though I have a physical copy? I remember some versions like Borderlands needs the steam version, but this one seems worded differently in the description.[/QUOTE]

MW2 uses Steamworks so yes the DLC works.

[quote name='gcorlett']Since you asked...

Me on Shadowgrounds:
Shadowgrounds is spooky and fun. An excellent example of the alien shoot-em-up genre. I really enjoyed Shadowgrounds, more than the spinoff game "Sahdowgrounds: Survivor."

It's about a 12-hour game. This game tells a longer, more complete story than "Survivor" does.

One warning: This game states "co-op" play. it's local co-op only. There is no Internet co-op support, or LAN support. Both players have to be playing together on the same computer.

Me on Shadowgrounds Survivor:
Shadowgrounds: Survivor is a fun little game, although not as complete as the original Shadowgrounds. It's like Shadowgrounds Lite.

Less story, less complicated. Fewer weapons. More Levels, shorter levels. More action.

It's brief; about 5 hours.

I'd recommend this to fans of the top-down alient shoot-em-up genre. But play the first Sadowgrounds game first..

Me on Trine:
This game is good for about ten hours of gameplay, but I was ready for it to be over after five. The experience gets old quickly. The hard bits (few that there are) are more about precision timing than puzzle solving, and thats disappointing.

Steam puts this game on sale for $5 all the time; don't pay more than that.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that! These games might get comfortable in my backlog after all.

[quote name='Pajama_Man']I'm not advocating people to buy MW2 but, but base on the Steam stats MW2 is easily neck and neck every day with Black Ops on the amount of players on Steam. Both games peak at around 35,000 players each day (w/ 10K currently as of this post).

As for CoD4, very similar stats with ~10K currently playing (as of this post) as well.

Of course since MW2 uses P2P match making, certain players where the game is much less popular/populated will find themselves at a big latency disadvantage when pared with players from other regions (and a much longer wait time to get matched).[/QUOTE]

Also note that mw2 and black ops both use/require steam so ALL copies of the game will be played and recorded under steam players stats. Cod4 is not steam works, so that number is just ppl playing from steam purchases, but cod4 also sold a bunch via b&m retailers. Cod4 was great at the time.

The CoD4 numbers I posted are separate from Steam stats and and is from game-monitor.com which parses all the CoD4 servers for info.

Right now CoD4 is only showing 327 players on Steam stats (SP & MP) and game-monitor.com shows ~6500 (MP) players at this moment.

Oh BTW if you're buying CoD4 and planning on playing MP make sure to disable the in-game Steam overlay as Punkbuster will kick with it on (for the servers that have it enabled). Valve and Evenbalance unfortunately I don't think ever resolved the issue.

Jamestown (4 player co-op vertical shmup that takes place on Mars with 17th century colonists warring over the planet) is finally out today for $8.99.

I picked up the Frozebyte collection, couldn't resist the $4.50 price tag. Damn you Steam for adding to forever growing backlog!!

[quote name='FurryCurry']Jamestown (4 player co-op vertical shmup that takes place on Mars with 18th century colonists warring over the planet) is finally out today for $8.99.[/QUOTE]

I'm having a ton of fun playing it today: it's a great addicting shooter, with excellent pixel art, and a decent story.

I thought Hacker Evolution paled in comparison to Uplink, but I got an earlier edition from a long time ago at the free game a day site.

Jamestown rocks.

I just bought MW2 and I'm fine with the MP, but are the map packs worth it? I've heard that you either need to buy both of them or none, and that they hardly ever show up. Can anyone speak from experience.

For anyone still interested in buying MW2, it's $19.99 on Direct2Drive as well and you can in addition use a 15% off code to bring it down to $16.99, and since it is a Steamworks game it can (and has to be) registered on Steam.

You can use anyone's 15% referral code, but here is mine. 42B92ABCFED171E18A46C1ECB4D95B6F

[quote name='dallascowboys']I just bought MW2 and I'm fine with the MP, but are the map packs worth it? I've heard that you either need to buy both of them or none, and that they hardly ever show up. Can anyone speak from experience.[/QUOTE]

I'm not totally sure, but I bought both map packs and have yet to play on a map from the 2nd one.

[quote name='Doomtime']Dead Rising 2 is also $19.99[/QUOTE]

Which is a joke, because that's Amazon's MSRP price for DR2. Even better, you can get the boxed version for $14.99.

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Rising-2-Pc/dp/B002EE1PBS/

Or if you'd prefer newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832233013

Both places offer free standard shipping. However, there seems to be some install issues going on (feedbacks on newegg). Not sure if this issue is exclusive to the box edition or all editions.

Really tempted to pick up RE5. Ever since building a new gaming rig and seeing that game running at 60fps on max settings, good lord. That was the defining moment when I realized just how far ahead of consoles PC hardware was.

Only thing stopping me is that I remember it being less. Wasn't it $6.80 or something somewhat recently? =\

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back