Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Building a Steam backlog is the same thing as investing in your retirement. Just picked up:

Guild Wars Trilogy
Beat Hazard Ultra
Deus EX: Game of the Year Edition
AI War: Alien Bundle
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

[quote name='United_Korea']i don't own any stalker games on steam, but cop is showing as $3.75 for me.[/QUOTE]

It shows that for everyone but won't let you complete the transaction unless you own one of the others.

I just went ahead and bought Clear Skies to get get CoP because it's still cheaper than buying CoP alone without the loyalty discount.

[quote name='Wolfmight']Darn, why didn't they Combo the Stalker series? Is it one of those games where if you only have the first one on sale, you grab your ear and rip your whole face off your skull like cheese on pizza - in fury - for not getting the whole set? :D remember, like cheese on pizza.[/QUOTE]

All 3 are a daily deal today...

I've got a question, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fans. Can I just skip Clear Sky altogether, and go from Shadows of Chernobyl straight to Pripyat without missing anything significant? I'm asking because Clear Sky seems to not be held in as high regard as the other games by fans, and it is just a prequel, after all. Suggestions?

I finally picked up Call of Pripyat in the hopes that it will force me to finish the original game. The more that I read-up about Clear Sky, both good and bad, the more I want that one as well since they all have Complete mods now.

Every single game series ever should use loyalty discounts period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was thinking about picking up Stalker, but seeing how this computer probably won't be able to even run it, I'm probably just going to hold off on it. I'd rather spend the $5 on the King Arthur collection (which I can't run either), since it's a good price for the content.

Gonna also pick up Beat Hazard Ultra, because that game is awesome.

[quote name='CapnO']Is Deus Ex: Invisible War vital to the story line?[/QUOTE]

Not. . . quite? I mean, it's pretty much the conclusion to the series. (a.) due to no more sequels and b.) due to three of the four endings being rather conclusive) While it's possible that Human Revolution would have some references to IW, i don't really see that happening. I figure most ties that Human Revolution shows will all be to the original Deus Ex.

Long story short, the only vital thing you'd be missing is the four potential endings to the Deus Ex universe.

[quote name='lassiterb']I've got a question, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fans. Can I just skip Clear Sky altogether, and go from Shadows of Chernobyl straight to Pripyat without missing anything significant? I'm asking because Clear Sky seems to not be held in as high regard as the other games by fans, and it is just a prequel, after all. Suggestions?[/QUOTE]
Only play Clear Sky if you've exhausted your fun with the other two and just want more. The biggest problem with it is by the time you finally get the best armor and guns, the game ends. That and the last mission is a huge pain in the ass.

[quote name='xxjonoxx']If anyone is going to buy the NFS pack and already has Hot Pursuit.. let me know if you wanna gift it. Got Paypal ready![/QUOTE]

You don't get extra copies to gift with the NFS pack.

[quote name='rcx4']Hi all! Is Monday Night Combat worth the purchase?[/QUOTE]

I got it for 3 times the price and have enjoyed it quite a bit. Definitely worth it.

[quote name='Genocidal']You don't get extra copies to gift with the NFS pack.[/QUOTE]

:( Lame. Thanks for the update though. The pack is way over my budget (and so is the stand alone $18) and HP is the only game I really wanted on sale!

Does anyone know if you buy the retail boxed edition of Hot Pursuit if that registers on Steam?

Invisible War isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It's a console game through and through and doesn't live-up to the original in the least but it isn't a bad game. It's mediocre and, I feel, best played with a controller. (I bought it for the Xbox way back when and have the Steam version from the first time that the Deus Ex series went on sale)

Honestly, with Human Revolution still lacking the required people from the original Deus Ex team and going from what we know and what people have played of the leaked build I expect it to be better than Invisible War but still nowhere close to the original.

I'm still buying it though.

Is anybody having trouble exporting a game to youtube in Frozen Synapse? It crashes during the recording process. I won my very first multiplayer game and I want to remember it always.

[quote name='Xealot42']Quick...someone talk me out of buying And Yet It Moves and Nation Red![/QUOTE]

Do you hate a puzzle games with little story where you rotate the environment to progress in levels? If so then don't buy And Yet It Moves. Do you hate arcade style action games with bosses where you or up to four other humans take on legions of the undead bent on your demise? If so then Nation Red is not the game for you.

[quote name='aus_nacht']Has anyone played Nation Red? It looks interesting.[/QUOTE]
Yes, it is a very fun game if you like arcade style action games like (smash TV, zombies ate my neighbors, etc). The developers also release regular patches and recently did an update now allowing for up to four player co op!!!

[quote name='Vegan']All 3 are a daily deal today...[/QUOTE]
I know, but a combo is usually even cheaper lol. still they are pretty cheap as it is

[quote name='Phrozenx']I love cheese....[/QUOTE]
woah that is dark.

Glad I didn't blind buy beat hazard, demo immediately crashes no matter what I do and what tips I try that I read online. Apparently a ton of arbitrary things trip it (and the full game) up and cause instability.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Glad I didn't blind buy beat hazard, demo immediately crashes no matter what I do and what tips I try that I read online. Apparently a ton of arbitrary things trip it (and the full game) up and cause instability.[/QUOTE]
weird. not once ever has my copy crashed and I've played it over 60 times easy.

though i'd be rubbing my ear too if it was crashing like that too. perhaps it's only on certain pc's.

Debating on that Stalker series for $11.22 - 3 solid games. about $3.74 per game. What's the replay value on them?

[quote name='Wolfmight']weird. not once ever has my copy crashed and I've played it over 60 times easy.

though i'd be rubbing my ear too if it was crashing like that too. perhaps it's only on certain pc's.[/QUOTE]
My copy has never had any problems either. I didn't even know people were having problems with it.

In regards to Beat Hazard, it's definitely a steal, if you don't like it, your music sucks. Hah.

Anyway, the ticket for today is easy as hell to get, just load up boss rush mode, shoot off the turrets and meander around for, well, 60 seconds. Doesn't matter if the timer gets down to zero, another boss will appear, but as long as the straggler is still alive, you're good to go.

Despite recommendations, passing on beat hazard. Demo wanted to give me a seizure :p and it just felt like another geometry wars clone. Maybe it would be better if I bothered to hook up my dual stick controller, but it was just too flashy (not the good kind. Give me some ikaruga or whathaveyou any day).

Edit: P.S. anyone else having issues with posting on the forum? Like, it lags a ton and then goes to the "you must wait 45 seconds to post again" screen (and it did indeed post your post), acting like you're double posting? And the posting lag, oh the lag. Maybe its just me? o_O

Ended up with:

Beat Hazard Ultra - already sunk more than an hour into this gem. One of the more entertaining games I've played in awhile.
Foreign Legion - a purchase I now regret. Don't waste your money on this buggy piece of crap.
Nation Red - played the demo, dug it, bought it, and will be spending a few hours with it later this evening.

Now I'm debating about getting STALKER. Everything I've read about the game sounds great but I'm not sure if I should sink more money into an ever growing backlog.

I just played the beat hazard demo and it was friggin awesome :p not sure if the fun will last but meh... twodollazfifty, ye know ;)

It's especially fun while playing all sorts of metal :p

Sure gives a new dimension to my music library :D

"You comin' for me? ULTRAAWESOMEKILLERGUITARRIFFINYOURFACE!!"

If you're going to get stalker, just get the latest one. No real sense in trying to play through the previous titles, especially if you have a backlog of older games like Deus ex you're never going to play. Stalker is more about the world then the story.

[quote name='talonthrawn']Meh wasn't going to pick up anything and then realized the CoD Star Wars mod was out, had to pick it up.[/QUOTE]

Had absolutely zero intention of buying CoD, but after seeing this, I have to try it.

Talked myself out of GW. I have done good lately at buying shorter games that I can enjoy, and complete in a timely manner. GW would take me back a few years...

looks like an audiosurf challenge and sale tomorrow, the game just updated with a new achievement:

Sunburn

Turn 21 blocks red with a single paint.

Anyone having a problem gifting games? I can purchase games for my own account but whenever I try to gift someone else a game with the same credit card it keeps getting declined. Steam support is a joke, I sent them a ticket 2 hours ago and no reply.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']If you're going to get stalker, just get the latest one. No real sense in trying to play through the previous titles, especially if you have a backlog of older games like Deus ex you're never going to play. Stalker is more about the world then the story.[/QUOTE]

Many people argue that the world of Stalker was best realized in the first game. So if it's more about the world than the story, get Shadow of Chernobyl.

[quote name='callmewoof']Despite recommendations, passing on beat hazard. Demo wanted to give me a seizure :p and it just felt like another geometry wars clone. Maybe it would be better if I bothered to hook up my dual stick controller, but it was just too flashy (not the good kind. Give me some ikaruga or whathaveyou any day).[/QUOTE]

You can turn down the flashiness some. When you start a game, you have the option of adjusting it. Mostly, I think it just dims the colors rather than putting less of them on the screen, but that helped for me.

Just finished playing Beat Hazard, wow is it addicting. I hope audiosurf is on sale tomorrow, I like these games that incorporate my music

[quote name='gtbrigs']Anyone having a problem gifting games? I can purchase games for my own account but whenever I try to gift someone else a game with the same credit card it keeps getting declined. Steam support is a joke, I sent them a ticket 2 hours ago and no reply.[/QUOTE]

2 hours and you already expect a reply? This is not freaking Bank of America or Amazon.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']2 hours and you already expect a reply? This is not freaking Bank of America or Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Steam either
A) Responds in 48 hours
or
B) Never responds.

At least that's the case for me.

Running out of hdd space :cry:

I was hoping Guild Wars would pop up as a daily, but now I think I'm skipping it and waiting for GW2. Anyone think GW is totally worth it?

Probably gonna get a 4-pack of Nation Red if anyone is interested, send me a PM.

[quote name='gtbrigs']Anyone having a problem gifting games? I can purchase games for my own account but whenever I try to gift someone else a game with the same credit card it keeps getting declined. Steam support is a joke, I sent them a ticket 2 hours ago and no reply.[/QUOTE]

There seems to be a maximum number of gifts that can be purchased during a certain period of time, I assume some sort of anti-resale measure. I've had similar issues during most sales as I will usually purchase gifts for later consideration, then redeem them once I decided if I want them or not. You can always open another account to purchase gifts, I guess.

Also, if you're waiting around for steam support, you may be waiting around for a while. I had to recover my account Saturday, and it took three days for a response.

[quote name='gunstar808']Running out of hdd space :cry:

I was hoping Guild Wars would pop up as a daily, but now I think I'm skipping it and waiting for GW2. Anyone think GW is totally worth it?

Probably gonna get a 4-pack of Nation Red if anyone is interested, send me a PM.[/QUOTE]

Guild Wars is definitely worth it!
It's a very fun multiplayer RPG, wouldn't quite call it an MMO, but its a fun rpg with an interesting story line and is a blast to play especially if you have some friends to play with. Guild Wars 2 is still "coming out when it's finished" so don't expect it to be released any time too soon.

[quote name='BGriffith']looks like an audiosurf challenge and sale tomorrow, the game just updated with a new achievement:

Sunburn

Turn 21 blocks red with a single paint.

[/QUOTE]

Appears Poker Night at the Inventory got a new achievement as well

Summer of '69

Win a hand with a 6 card and a 9 card of any suit.

[quote name='RockMySocks10']Guild Wars is definitely worth it!
It's a very fun multiplayer RPG, wouldn't quite call it an MMO, but its a fun rpg with an interesting story line and is a blast to play especially if you have some friends to play with. Guild Wars 2 is still "coming out when it's finished" so don't expect it to be released any time too soon.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget, there's a whole bunch of achievements that you can unlock that will transfer over to your guildwars 2 account (granted you'd have to spring for the eye of the north expansion, I believe). Armor, titles, pets, etc. And even after GW2 launches you can still earn them in GW1.

Heck, I bought it at launch (and each expansion as it came out) and I'm still playing it in chunks of a few months here and there. I can't describe how beautiful a near-mmo is when literally free for life after initial purchase. It isn't heavily peppered with micro transactions, unlike, say, nearly ever freaking mmo out there (I'm looking at you, EVE/WoW/Everything else) :p

Oh, and just to plug it more - they added in the ability to have your entire party (You + 7 computer players) consist of your own heroes (NPCs that you can customize their equip/skills any way you see fit. Used to be a limit of 3 heroes and 4 "junk" npcs)). This is from a single-player perspective of course (not counting running missions w/ other people, or doing the PvP).

I played GW back in the day and was mesmerized by how utterly beautiful it was in art style. Had to double dip just for that.

Especially since I can now make a party of 7 CPU allies and just solo that crap.

[quote name='helmet']There seems to be a maximum number of gifts that can be purchased during a certain period of time, I assume some sort of anti-resale measure. I've had similar issues during most sales as I will usually purchase gifts for later consideration, then redeem them once I decided if I want them or not. You can always open another account to purchase gifts, I guess.[/QUOTE]

You should still be able to gift via email. Although it when you include the email it never sends it to them if your encountering this issue I believe. It just leaves it in your "Manage Gifts and Guest Passes" window, where you can then gift it to whoever at which point. So if you try this, I recommend making sure you have the email you're trying to gift it to as a just-in-case.

Definitely getting Deus Ex Collection, STALKER games, and Beat Hazard. Debating on Wings of Prey (once the demo finishes downloading) and AI Wars. Thoughts on either game?

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']2 hours and you already expect a reply? This is not freaking Bank of America or Amazon.[/QUOTE]
Steam really should at least get live chat support like Origin, though, as that was pretty painless and quick to use. Customer support is one area that seems to be pretty notoriously bad and slow with Steam from everything I've read, but I've thankfully thus far not needed any support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back