Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oy, today's gift packs are broke, no prices.

Looks like they are trying to fix it as they keep appearing and now all of them went away.

Galcon Fusion has a demo I believe. It's decent fun, especially at this price point.

I have the first two King's Bounty games, but would like the third. Semi-interested in the new Tomb Raider game as well.

Yes I'm looking to get in a GTA EFLC group too, I posted it in the main thread. Any other recommended buys? I know im getting Supreme Commander for sure!!

wow absolutely nothing for me today, that's the first time since I've followed steam sales that they didn't have at least 1 game I wanted. The funny thing is, I'm kinda relieved :)

[quote name='mistymayem']Is anybody else having trouble finding the prices for the packs?[/QUOTE]

Yea, there is no add to cart for the Pulse pack for me.

Weird?

Galcon Fusion looks like a really advanced version of mushroom wars. I was hoping the stars would align and Delve Deeper would be on sale for 2.50.

The only thing that caught my eye was Lara Croft, but I'm still going to wait for the Holiday Sale, since I imagine it'll be the same price there too.

[quote name='JP']Well crap, all those packs I'm looking for are going to be tomorrow and monday. Going to be bad days for my checking account.[/QUOTE]
I agree. I'm waiting for Braid and Recettear; Those are the big two packs I'm after.

I might also consider Just Cause 2 or Splinter Cell: Conviction if the prices are right.

I'll cross those CAGly bridges when I come to them.

[quote name='shrike4242']If people make posts in here for share group requests from this point forward, I'm just going to nuke them, not move them.

People have been warned.[/QUOTE]I think this will need to get posted every page.

[quote name='homeland']n/m now the prices are showing [/QUOTE]
Hahaha, I just added the GTA Pack to my cart to see that it was $44.99. Soon afterward, the prices were added. Having that been said, $7.50 for the GTAIV Episodes isn't bad.

Anyone know how well optimized the GTA episodes are? I remember people complaining about how badly it ran on their computers when it came out, but I haven't kept up with the news.

Meh deals again today. If Lara Croft was $5 I'd bite. I may wind up grabbing the Pulse pack, but I already own Audiosurf and Rhythm Zone blows, so I'd really only be getting three games. If I didn't already own EFLC on the PS3 though, I'd definitely grab it here. $10 isn't bad, but $7.50 via the group buy is a steal.

Oh, and for anyone on the fence about Reccetear when the group buy for it goes up...get it. I usually hate these JRPG type games, but this one is addicting. I didnt want to stop playing.

Tempted by Guardian of Light but still debating whether I grab it on Steam or PSN. That said, I still might hold off until the holiday sale. All I'm really looking for is Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition at $25. Don't let me down, Steam!!!

[quote name='wafflepacman']Anyone know how well optimized the GTA episodes are? I remember people complaining about how badly it ran on their computers when it came out, but I haven't kept up with the news.[/QUOTE]
It still requires a beast of a computer to get up to 60fps but most people will be able to run it at 30fps because they released a few patches since the launch.

[quote name='Ardrid']Tempted by Guardian of Light but still debating whether I grab it on Steam or PSN. That said, I still might hold off until the holiday sale. All I'm really looking for is Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition at $25. Don't let me down, Steam!!![/QUOTE]

Lara Croft is good, but VERY short. Also, I don't believe the PC version has the multiplayer patch yet, so there's that.

[quote name='SEH']Lara Croft is good, but VERY short. Also, I don't believe the PC version has the multiplayer patch yet, so there's that.[/QUOTE]

It got patched in last week.

[quote name='Rirse']It got patched in last week.[/QUOTE]

Ah, news to me. Last I heard was the PS3 got the multi patch sometime in the past week or so but PC players were still waiting.

Tried the Nyxquest game and the flapping was pissing me off. It's too easy to just drop like a stone when trying to get somewhere specific. I didn't spend a lot of time on it before quitting so maybe for someone who has more patience.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Anyone that gets a Nyx Quest group going I am in. Send me a PM and tell me what your paypal is and I will send payment![/QUOTE]

Ditto, I'm in for 1

Indie Pulse Pack for me today. Even though I already had two of the games, Bit.Trip and Polynomial looked good enough to make it worth my while.

[quote name='Nohbdy']How newbie-friendly is Supreme Commander?[/QUOTE]
It's a pretty simple RTS to grasp, especially 2 since they added the tech tree. The hardest part will be figuring out what to do with all the different structures and experimentals.

If you like singleplayer at all, you'll find a passable campaign and a really solid AI (it's been patched like crazy) for skirmishes. I recommend getting the DLC though, but since it isn't on sale I'd hold off on that.

For $3.75 if you're even curious about the game it should be well worth it.

Probably just the Pulse pack for me even though I own Audiosurf and Beat Hazard already. The King's Bounty deal is amazing as well, especially since it adds the Crossworlds expansion.

I also have AS and BH already, so I'll probably pass on the pulse pack (Polynomial is too weird for me). Two of my friends got SC2 on a deal earlier in the year, so I'll grab that to play with them. And NyxQuest looks like a fun $1.50 distraction.

finally stopped procrastination on it and picked up machinarium, and price hasn't gone up yet.
Also already have audiosurf and beat hazard haven't really played either, so no on todays pack

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sotc1988']So I've never heard of King's Bounty. Is it worth the buy? I'm not even really sure what genre this is.[/QUOTE]

It's a turn/grid based strategy RPG. The closest thing I can match it with is Heroes of Might and Magic. So long as you're into that genre, it's completely worth the buy. Unfortunately if you play the two expansions first, then you're going to find it difficult to play through the original thanks to the nice upgrades in the expansions.

[quote name='Mike UFC']Probably just the Pulse pack for me even though I own Audiosurf and Beat Hazard already. The King's Bounty deal is amazing as well, especially since it adds the Crossworlds expansion.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, fortunately they are also individually for sale because all I need is Crossroads and it's $5 on it's own right now.

played through the nyxquest demo and thought it was pretty good. Ill be picking that up if I can get into a group.

Picked up machinarium at the last minute also.
nothing else for me today.

I bought the Pulse Pack and had the Clever Pack in my cart and was able to purchase it at $5. Forgot I had the clever pack there and never actually finished checking out. Yay. Also L4D2 for $5.

The King's Bounty deal is ridiculous. I've sunk 60 hours into 'The Legend' and am about 50% through the game. Anyone who likes turn based strategy will love these games.

[quote name='isofan1']can i buy the indie pack, give out games and keep the ones I want?[/QUOTE]

No, even gifting it to your own email just unlocks "indie clever pack" which is 1 click for all 5.

Haven't seen it posted here yet but direct2drive is price matching steam on a couple of titles so if you missed the steam deal here's a second chance. There's also a 1 in 5 chance of getting your order for free.
http://www.direct2drive.com/7399/product/Buy-Defense-Grid:-The-Awakening-Download Defense Grid-2.50
http://www.direct2drive.com/9355/product/Buy-Batman:-Arkham-Asylum-Game-Of-The-Year-Edition-Download Batman Arkham Asylum-10.20
http://www.direct2drive.com/7264/product/Buy-Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-Download GTA4-5
http://www.direct2drive.com/9368/product/Buy-Grand-Theft-Auto:-Episodes-from-Liberty-City-Download GTA4 Episodes-7.50

couple others

[quote name='Cleaner7']I'm thinking the Packs are the only decent deals for this week. I'm fine with that and waiting on other games.[/QUOTE]

Its smart on valves part to do the whole pack thing though. Think of it this way, when you sell 5 games for $5 vs selling 5 games for $1 a piece people are both forced to buy games they already own to get the other games, and also buy games that they think look like crap. For instance id have never bought that Pirate Dog game that came with the 1 pack, and I owned one of the other games in the pack too, but the other 3 games were thins I wanted enough to buy the other 2/again.

Just want to say that Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is absolutely fantastic, I really recommend it. I'm not sure how well the PC version plays, but I think it's probably one of the best games on XBLA.

I'll probably end up picking up King's Bounty, I've been wanting to try that for awhile and that's a good price on it for three games (or one game and two expansions, I don't really know how that all works :p)

[quote name='MSI Magus']Its smart on valves part to do the whole pack thing though. Think of it this way, when you sell 5 games for $5 vs selling 5 games for $1 a piece people are both forced to buy games they already own to get the other games, and also buy games that they think look like crap. For instance id have never bought that Pirate Dog game that came with the 1 pack, and I owned one of the other games in the pack too, but the other 3 games were thins I wanted enough to buy the other 2/again.[/QUOTE]

I keep reading this back and forth about packs, but I get confused about who's talking about the variety packs and who's talking about the multi-user packs. Because they're both called, "packs."

The argument for both is clear. It's just annoying. I dislike sales being a nuisance, especially when Steam had such a good gameplan going before and now they seem to be taking advantage of something that they used to offer as a minor side benefit. Before it was packs of 4, now it's packs of 6 and 8.

I have this subtle feeling of being milked.

[quote name='Warlock82']Just want to say that Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is absolutely fantastic, I really recommend it. I'm not sure how well the PC version plays, but I think it's probably one of the best games on XBLA.

I'll probably end up picking up King's Bounty, I've been wanting to try that for awhile and that's a good price on it for three games (or one game and two expansions, I don't really know how that all works :p)[/QUOTE]

There's a demo. Played fine on my laptop (Core 2 Duo 2.26, nVidia Geforce 9800GS, 4GB RAM, Indilinx SSD) this morning. Very smooth for me. I did not, however, like it enough to buy. I was using my wired 360 controller. Kinda "It's not you, it's me" about it. It's got great production values for that type of game and it's kinda fun, but it didn't blow me away.

I'm just saying that it played well on my laptop in case anyone with similar specs doesn't want to get the demo first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back