Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Anybody got any experience with Trials 2 on Steam? Worth it? Honestly, it's the only game I'm interested in (I already own JC2, AvP, CoD: MW).

I still can't believe the "daily deal" price on CoD: MW. Haha, that's crazy. Crazy Kotick strikes again.[/QUOTE]

It's one of my absolute favorite games ever. If you're interested in the series, it's well worth $2.50.

[quote name='Killbomb']Good point but to me if a game I am interested in but did not want to pay full price for goes below $10, I will jump on it. If I buy a game for $8.99 then it drops to $4.99 later on, I wouldn't be that upset. Then again, my backlog is not quite as big as yours either. :D[/QUOTE]

I've been trying to trim it down, but this time of year, its impossible. Too many bargains on too many platforms, plus real life obligations. Add in my love of Goozex, and my library doesn't really get any smaller, just with different games.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Phew, no spending money today. Have already spent over $20 the first two days. Need to pace myself.[/QUOTE]
agree'd. Stuff gets so intense, we forgot what we already bought lol. Spent $30 here so far. But totally worth it. Large and High rated daily deal titles. Sticking to about $5 or lower budget per game.

Does this sale go insane the last 2 days around Jan?

[quote name='Wolfmight']Does this sale go insane the last 2 days around Jan?[/QUOTE]

Not really. You'll get some days that are great and some days where you won't buy anything. On the previous holiday sale, the last day was reserved to repeat the sales for the best sellers, I believe

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I know what you mean about waiting but, I don't believe Painkiller Black has ever been cheaper than 4.99 on Steam. It seems like one of those older titles like Vampires The Masquerade: Bloodlines that rarely goes on sale and if it does, it is always at the same price.[/QUOTE]

Well as I said I am thinking this year I will say screw it and pick it up. Well as long as I do not get flooded with games in the next few days(which I dont expect to). Last year I just realized I bought like 50-70 games and thought I should hold off for a better sale since I had so much to play ;) This year I have bought a hell of a lot less so good chance I grab it.

Nothing I really want today. I'm just going to grab a couple of the 99 cent or less games I'd been looking at.

But that Spore deal looks good. I'm kicking myself for already having the disc versions of it and its expansions.

And I'm a little surprised they put Recettear up so high after including it in one of the Thanksgiving indie packs.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Well as I said I am thinking this year I will say screw it and pick it up. Well as long as I do not get flooded with games in the next few days(which I dont expect to). Last year I just realized I bought like 50-70 games and thought I should hold off for a better sale since I had so much to play ;) This year I have bought a hell of a lot less so good chance I grab it.[/QUOTE]

That's cool, it really is a great game. Same here, I expect I will spend more but, it won't be more than a game or two per day if that.

Wow! Last year you definitely went overboard, was it your first Steam sale?

[quote name='evildeadjedi']That's cool, it really is a great game. Same here, I expect I will spend more but, it won't be more than a game or two per day if that.

Wow! Last year you definitely went overboard, was it your first Steam sale?[/QUOTE]

Or he bought something with a ton of games like indie packs or the telltale pack which makes each episode a game.

Any thoughts on mini ninja's? It's $9.99 on steam. How is the PC performance? It's also $12.99 on Gamefly 360/PS3. Is the PC version better and should I wait for a lower price on steam?

[quote name='Crazyhowie']Sol Survivor was $4.99 and Iron Grip was $2.50 - Both had 4-packs for even cheaper.[/QUOTE]

That's the price they are now. Was it really a daily deal, or are the indie special deals only pointing out a different title each day, but not a special price?

Nothing for me the past few days daily-wise.

Picked up 2 of the Just Cause 2 DLCs and the Indie 2D pack today. Laser Racer is alot of fun so far.

[quote name='pROvIs']Or he bought something with a ton of games like indie packs or the telltale pack which makes each episode a game.[/QUOTE]

This. Last year I bought the Tell Tale pack which was like 40 games alone. Then add in a few packs and a bunch of $1-$3 games and there you have it.

[quote name='SkullTheTroll']That's the price they are now. Was it really a daily deal, or are the indie special deals only pointing out a different title each day, but not a special price?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I guess they just use it to bring attention to specific titles so it's sort of deceptive to call it an 'indie daily deal' -- I knew something was odd when you see indie games as part of the normal daily deals anyway like Defense Grid.

[quote name='Killbomb']Any thoughts on the Sherlock Holmes collection? I can't help but laugh at some of you guys who won't buy a game you are interested in because it's a dollar or two more than you want to pay. :D[/QUOTE]

Its an interesting divide. On the one hand, you have the "if it were only 10 cents less" people, and on the other, theres the "I already have this for the PS3/360/retail pc/ but I wouldnt mind playing it again" guys.

I don't really understand either one, but that you have both types on the same board is amusing. Its even better when both are commenting on the same deal or on the same page

Me, I'm just looking for something interesting to play.

Bought for my dad:
Railworks 2
Sid's Railroads

Bought for my mom:
Defense Grid
Winterbottom
Indie Kids
Puzzle Quest

me: pop forgotten sands bundle

Always wanted to play the Freedom force games, but I downloaded the demo, got a known compatibility error, and it crashed.:whistle2:(

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Phew, no spending money today. Have already spent over $20 the first two days. Need to pace myself.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Already have Bully, Recettear and Spore. ACII, Zuma's Revenge and Monkey Island are all more than I want to pay for them right now.

One question I had before I bought JC2 are how are the controls. Are they awkward or hard to play? because i have a PS3 and I usually like 3rd person games better on there but I don't mind it if the controls aren't too bad. Sorry going off on a rant here.:D

[quote name='Sporadic']Think there is any chance Battlefield: Bad Company 2 will go back on sale? I'm kicking myself for not jumping on that.[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure last year the final day of the sale they did an "Encore Encore" sale where quite a few games came back and were either the same price of further discounted. I would not hold your breath that BFBC2 will be one of those games, but they may do the sale again and there is always the chance it is.

Opted to grab Bully and give Clones a chance. Someday. Wonderful, terrible backlog.

I asked a few pages back, but have the pair of episodic Penny Arcade games ever been on sale? I've had them on my wishlist for a long while and never noticed a discount.

[quote name='___Vizion___']I bought AVP for the spook of playing with the lights off, but regretting it after seeing the 15 gig install....my slow ole connection can't take it![/QUOTE]

Seriously, it's so annoying that they don't bother with compression. Force Unleashed is the worst offender at 30 gigs.

Gifted a copy of Bully on the condition that the recipient buy himself a copy of railworks. Thinking of getting zuma's revenge but surprised that a) even on daily deal, it's so much, and b) it's not mac-friendly.

But I do like some zuma....

[quote name='Sporadic']Think there is any chance Battlefield: Bad Company 2 will go back on sale? I'm kicking myself for not jumping on that.[/QUOTE]

maybe on the last day when they repeat the best selling deals, I bet BFBC2 will be one of them

Maybe god will reward you for your kindness and add it to the Humble Bundle. :applause:

[quote name='Mooby']Yeah I guess they just use it to bring attention to specific titles so it's sort of deceptive to call it an 'indie daily deal' -- I knew something was odd when you see indie games as part of the normal daily deals anyway like Defense Grid.[/QUOTE]

Clones was on sale for $4.99 but when it became the daily deal, its price dropped top $2.50.

[quote name='mac101010']Seriously, it's so annoying that they don't bother with compression. Force Unleashed is the worst offender at 30 gigs.[/QUOTE]

That's more than 10% of my allotment for downloads for the whole month.

[quote name='DPsycho']
I asked a few pages back, but have the pair of episodic Penny Arcade games ever been on sale? I've had them on my wishlist for a long while and never noticed a discount.[/QUOTE]

In the two or so years I've been using Steam I don't recall them ever being on sale.

[quote name='oscargrouch']I guess I'm in for Recettear even though it was cheaper during Thanksgiving.[/QUOTE]

It's worth it. Out of all the games that were in that bundle, it was the only one that I enjoyed.

Picked up my first game of this sale, Bully. So far so good, I'm looking to get out of this without building my back log too much.

If Japan ported their games to PC and embraced the platform a bit more, there would literally be no reason to own a console. They are convenient for fighters though =D

[quote name='panzerfaust']If Japan ported their games to PC and embraced the platform a bit more, there would literally be no reason to own a console. They are convenient for fighters though =D[/QUOTE]

OOOO have to disagree. Sony and Nintendo are still two of the best developer/publishers out there. Its hard to not want to own both their products for stuff like Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Mario, Zelda etc etc.

Not exactly an exciting deal day for me, cos I bought JC2, Recettear during the Black Friday sales already. And the other so called deals are either too expensive (Monkey Island, CoD: MW) or had bad reputation (AC2 & Spore's DRM, Bully reputed to be a bad port). My theory is, as we get closer to the actual Christmas day (fooling people who are last minute gift buying), the deals would get worse. Hopefully, crazy deals would come after Christmas.

BTW, Recettear is very very good game. My wife played it non-stop. The item price managment aspect really tap into us CAGs psyche :)

You know you are addicted to Steam when you rebuy games you all ready have. All my purchases have been that way, which were BFBC2 (convincing myself to give my boxed copy to a friend), Super Meat Boy, and Burnout Paradise. I have to get that list up and find something to fill my empty 2TB, lol. I almost bought Bully again too even though I played and finished the 360 version. I will probably end up purchasing Just Cause 2 right before the new daily deals hit tomorrow.

Nothing forme today. I'm tempted to bite on Reccetear and Pirates, but I can wait. I'm still holding out that Mass Effect 1&2 get slashed in half, and I'm still really hoping Batman:AA goes below the $10 mark. I may wind up getting the Bethesade Pack for F3: GOTY and New Vegas, but I already have both Elder Scrolls Games, so I can just gift those or trade for em.

Anything else is icing on the cake.

Snagged Super Meat Boy and The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom on Monday, and Puzzle Quest yesterday. Looking into Trials 2: Second Edition from today's deals. Great deals so far :)

I can't decide between AVP or Recettear. I'm limiting myself to 1 game per day for this sale so I'm not getting both :p. I'm a big fan of the Aliens and Predator franchises, so AVP is tempting, but I've never played it. Just played the Recettear demo, it was really fun. Any opinions?

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Anyone recommend any of the Indie Packs in particular?[/QUOTE]

Its too bad the Thanksgiving packs were not still up because those were 10x better. As for the current packs here are the ones that seem worth buying and I will note how strongly.

Smarts Pack - Decent
Flgiht Pack - Above average
Kids Pack - Above Average
Beat Pack - MUST BUY!!! Most of the games are great. Chyme and Beat hazard alone are worth it
2D Pack - Very good if for Geometry Wars and VVVVVV, the others are mostly solid too though

The others seem to be poor, hit or miss or in one or two cases I dont feel comfortable making a judgment because I have not played the games/there are not enough reviews available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back