Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone in the US do me a huge favour and purchase Bully for me? It's not available here in Australia. Happy to do a PayPal transfer or swap for a different game of up to $5 price in return. Please PM if you can help out.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Anyone recommend any of the Indie Packs in particular?[/QUOTE]

They're mostly pretty solid, IMO. Or at least each pack tends to have at least one game that justifies a $5 price point for itself and the extra goodies. Fright, Future and Kids look best to me. Flight and Beats also look very good, but I own most of those already so they get a pass.

The only one I look at and feel completely "Meh" over really, is the Adventure pack.

[quote name='vitamin_dei']They're mostly pretty solid, IMO. Or at least each pack tends to have at least one game that justifies a $5 price point for itself and the extra goodies. Fright, Future and Kids look best to me. Flight and Beats also look very good, but I own most of those already so they get a pass.

The only one I look at and feel completely "Meh" over really, is the Adventure pack.[/QUOTE]

The Smarts pack looks good to me :) Depends on if you like puzzles or not.

[quote name='sp8001']The Smarts pack looks good to me :) Depends on if you like puzzles or not.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's a pretty good pack. I kinda glossed over it because I already own all of its pieces. I can recommend most of those games, though. And the ones I can't are mainly because I haven't sunk any time into them. :)

are all the games on the humble indie good?
only machinarium, world of goo (which i bought during black friday along with vvvvvv, euhoria), braid seems to pick my fancy :/

Braid was amazing! I finished it today, loved the ending, second favorite video game ending for me now (MGS3 being the first ;)).

Also, has anyone actually tried playing PB Winterbottom!? Holy shit man, the game is laggy as all hell. You have to play it at the lowest resolution (640x480) to get good framerate. And it's not just me it's a wide spread problem, check out this Steam Thread for more detail.

Supposedly it gets better in the later stages though, but this problem has gone unchecked since it's release... =/

[quote name='KaOTiK']Was on sale in April of this year. Steam had a Rockstar week. It was $7.49[/QUOTE]

A Rockstar week? For Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines?

Or did you miss something?

Is 14.99 for COD:MW a reasonable price? I don't recall ever seeing any of the COD games go on sale before (not that they haven't, I just don't remember it). How likely is it that this will drop further?

Also, anyone have any good things to say about Railworks?

There was a COD pack (1-5) in the summer sale for something like $25-30 which is probably better value, depending on how much you wanted the other games.

[quote name='daminion']Wait until you have kids. All I seem to do anymore is acquire games to look at on the shelf.[/QUOTE]

Made me LOL! Looks at shelf - sighs. My daughter is worth it, but my Steam library says to me "someday...someday..."

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']so far its been awesome finished my bachelors and waiting to start my masters later in 2011 (hope I get accepted) so far just work part time and have sooo much free time its awesome[/QUOTE]

As someone who finished his bachelors, masters, and now works full time I had MUCH more time to game when I was in school.

[quote name='daminion']Wait until you have kids. All I seem to do anymore is acquire games to look at on the shelf.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I know the feeling. Free time is at a premium, and most of the time I end up only playing the games my son (4 years old) wants to play.

Getting out into the "real world" will eventually eat your free time far more than college does.

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']damn just as Im about to go to sleep Bully is looking more and more tempting, I hate Steam. Is Bully worth it? Never tried it[/QUOTE]

I played the PS2 version and I thought Bully was fun.

Man I really like the way Clones looks, but I have acquired so many damn games on PC in the last two months that there really isn't any reason to jump on it.

[quote name='Jorbi']Its this great little open world game, you take command of a ship, recruit crew and do whatever the heck you want really, become a privateer (mercenary) for a nation and attack its enemy's ships, attack anyone indiscriminately (not exactly recommended!) as a full fledged pirate, raid towns and forts, run cargo from port to port, look for treasure, or follow the loose "storyline" about finding your long lost and abused family.

this newer version adds some minigames that werent present in the original (most notably, dancing to romance the governor's daughter) They arent my cup of tea, but they arent bad.

Combat isnt just naval, there's also duels and "army" battles against towns.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this description. The game sounds fun as hell so I got this along with the complete Civilizations IV pack for less than nine bucks! I have some free time during the next couple of weeks so I'll be playing these games.

I hope they are not "too" addicting! :D

[quote name='oscargrouch']My hope would be Crysis plus DLC for say $5 to $7[/QUOTE] I hope by DLC you mean Battlefield Bad Company Vietnam :)

[quote name='oscargrouch']My hope would be Crysis plus DLC for say $5 to $7[/QUOTE]

I'd jump on this. I still haven't played Warhead yet.

[quote name='wilflare']is Clones worth it? [/QUOTE]

It's a Lemmings game with a few extras. It's extremely well made and there seems to be lots of content.

[quote name='Brian9824']As someone who finished his bachelors, masters, and now works full time I had MUCH more time to game when I was in school.[/QUOTE]

I can attest to that. When I was in college I was able to game pretty damned consistently, and now if I can game just once during a week it's a good week

[quote name='TheLongshot']Heh, I know the feeling. Free time is at a premium, and most of the time I end up only playing the games my son (4 years old) wants to play.

Getting out into the "real world" will eventually eat your free time far more than college does.[/QUOTE]

Truth! My daughter is only 2 months, but my free time was at a minimum long before she arrived, and now it's practically nonexistent.

Agree with you guys about growing up and not having time to play. I only used to buy long sprawling RPGs, now I only buy games that I can beat in 10 hours or less.

But I'm not going to have any kids ;)

[quote name='ZForce915']Man I really like the way Clones looks, but I have acquired so many damn games on PC in the last two months that there really isn't any reason to jump on it.[/QUOTE]Co-sign.

[quote name='Deefuzz']I can attest to that. When I was in college I was able to game pretty damned consistently, and now if I can game just once during a week it's a good week[/QUOTE]

Don't know what kind of lame colleges you guys went to, but I never had free time in school. Then I worked a few years, did my 40 hours/week and went home to a bachelor apartment. Never had so much free time in my life, until now. Rehabbed a couple houses, rent out a couple, now I work like 5/hours a week managing them. Never had so much free time in my life for gaming. Being a grown-up rules, you just have to do it right.

I'm going to wait for clones to be part of an indie pack sometime next year. Looks like a fun game but I have a ton of others to play right now.

[quote name='Deefuzz']I can attest to that. When I was in college I was able to game pretty damned consistently, and now if I can game just once during a week it's a good week

Truth! My daughter is only 2 months, but my free time was at a minimum long before she arrived, and now it's practically nonexistent.[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling. Baby #3 is 4 months old and it doesn't get any easier with experience. I'm sure that's why Cheapy has said that he is one and done with kids.

[quote name='irc_email']But I'm not going to have any kids ;)[/QUOTE]

This. Also, failing to grow up helps with your gaming time. :D Anyway, picked up Recettear but I don't know when I will actually play it.

Besides the daily deals on the main Steam page, are there any other noteworthy games that are only discounted until the price change at 1PM ET / 12PM CT?

[quote name='shrike4242']Besides the daily deals on the main Steam page, are there any other noteworthy games that are only discounted until the price change at 1PM ET / 12PM CT?[/QUOTE]

Just the Indie game that's on sale on page 15. All other prices last the rest of the sale, barring any pricing mistakes. I highly suggest The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom for $.49, personally. Much better with a controller, if you have one.

[quote name='hellhunde']Just the Indie game that's on sale on page 15. All other prices last the rest of the sale, barring any pricing mistakes. I highly suggest The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom for $.49, personally. Much better with a controller, if you have one.[/QUOTE]I already have PB Winterbottom for 360, though it might be worth seeing how it compares on PC versus 360 for $0.49.

[quote name='wilflare']i'm still deliberating over Clones[/QUOTE]

IT's a buy --- have you tried the demo? Even the tutorial part is amazing... And I usually hate 2D-scrollers....

[quote name='shrike4242']I already have PB Winterbottom for 360, though it might be worth seeing how it compares on PC versus 360 for $0.49.[/QUOTE]

sigh, so do I and I have 200/200 in it. But, I still bought it for the endorphins to go to my brain for an awesome deal. :( I need therapy.

yup but i'm wondering if i'll play it enough..
already bought humble bundle 1+2, lara croft GoL, Burnout, Puzzle Quest, WinterBottom, Defense Grid and some Black Friday Indie bundle with World of Goo, Euphoria, VVVVV and some others.

so... this clones.. i don't know.. the tutorial was interesting.
but it'll probably be bundled down the road

[quote name='wilflare']yup but i'm wondering if i'll play it enough..
already bought humble bundle 1+2, lara croft GoL, Burnout, Puzzle Quest, WinterBottom, Defense Grid and some Black Friday Indie bundle with World of Goo, Euphoria, VVVVV and some others.

so... this clones.. i don't know.. the tutorial was interesting.
but it'll probably be bundled down the road[/QUOTE]

Yes -- but the developed said on steam's forums not until the summer at the earliest.. So if you can wait that long......

So, who else is refreshing this thread taking in others' comments while waiting for the hour to turn to see what the new deals are? I have a late work shift today, so I get to see the deals change before I have to set out. Dragonquest IX in the interim...

[quote name='shrike4242']I already have PB Winterbottom for 360, though it might be worth seeing how it compares on PC versus 360 for $0.49.[/QUOTE]

I'm still waiting for it to get a daily deal so I can get it for a nickel.

[quote name='DPsycho']So, who else is refreshing this thread taking in others' comments while waiting for the hour to turn to see what the new deals are? I have a late work shift today, so I get to see the deals change before I have to set out. Dragonquest IX in the interim...[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I'm doing lol. I have to work 6pm to 6am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back