Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Yaboosh']It has probably been asked, but is there any point in owning Overlord 1 or the expansion over just Overlord 2? I know it is only $3 versus $1.50, but with the way my backlog is already, I would rather just buy the best one of the three and save the $1.50.[/QUOTE]

I personally thought Overlord 1 was better. Expansion still not needed/overkill. If I had to buy just one, it would be the first.

[quote name='TheRock88']Picked up BF2 collection[/QUOTE]

We need to get everyone together and run shit on there. Brake, X, and I also snagged it.

Bleh, was hoping for a better deal for the Borderlands DLC. They could've at least marked the DLC 4 Pack down some as well. As it stands, you're better off getting in on a Borderlands GOTY 4 Pack than you are buying all 4 DLCs.

This is where one of those "extra % off if you own ____" would've come in handy. Why not mark down the DLC more for people who already own Borderlands? Ah well, maybe I'll just buy one or two instead of all four like I was planning.

I'm beginning to see why people are complaining about this year's sale. You wouldn't figure stuff wouldn't be cheaper last year than it is this one. You'd think, being a year older, stuff would be marked down just as much, if not more.

[quote name='JustinBeiberMustDie!']Anyone know any good Diablo-esque clones on sale other than Torchlight or Titan Quest? Also is the Unreal Pack a good deal at $14.99 or will it likely get cheaper? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Sacred Gold. Lots of loot, monsters and easter eggs. The lowest I've seen the Unreal pack was $13.60 as a daily deal last year I think it was.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Is Saint's Row 2 on Steam good? Or better on 360?[/QUOTE]

I have heard the PC port of Saint's Row 2 is horrible. From personal experience, I do not see what is so wrong about the PC version, it's great.

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']very tempted by Arma 2 and Ghost Recon complete pack, anyone recommend Arma 2?[/QUOTE]

Arma is the best milsim out there right now. Recommend getting Arma 2: Combined Ops for $12.50 at Amazon Downloads. It comes with Arma 2 and the stand alone expansion Operation Arrowhead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say, I have no idea why Steam/Capcom insist(s) on charging so much for Devil May Cry 4. I, personally, got the physical version for $6 about a year ago. I know DMC4 is a relatively recent addition to Steam itself, but the game is several years old now. $5 was a good price, $10 is not.

I've been told that Saint's Row 2 is $3.27 USD for UKers. Would anyone in the UK like to gift me a copy? I"ll Paypal you the cash before or immediately after, but I'd like to nab it at that price before it's too late.

[quote name='Twoje']Has Fallout 3: GOTY been a daily deal yet? Can I expect it to be if it hasn't been already?[/QUOTE]

Yup, i think it was on the first day. It was $20 and some change.

Since the MSRP recently has gone from $49.99 to $29.99 (about time!), Im going to wait until its $15 before I buy it.

Am I the only one who reads, "Holiday Sale is Over!" everytime I read the topic title. I think I've had 7 or 8 reflex heart attacks this week.

Snatched up Overlords today for $0.75. I love Steam!

[quote name='Unicorntard']Yup, i think it was on the first day. It was $20 and some change.

Since the MSRP recently has gone from $49.99 to $29.99 (about time!), Im going to wait until its $15 before I buy it.[/QUOTE]

Eh, yeah. I'll probably wait until it goes to $15 or lower, too. Thanks.

And just when I was picking up the Overlord games, mark me down as another disappointed customer that DMC4 went up to $10...that was enough to move it out of the impulse buy category considering I still have DMC 1-3 to finish on PS2. Still might get a Ghost Recon game or two before today's sale is done.

Also trying so hard to not get involved in a Borderlands 4pack. Every Steam sale thread I lurk in CAGs get chub for the game, but my backlog already has Torchlight, Mass Effect, Bioshock, and a number of other games from last year's and other Steam sales. I wouldn't be surprised to see the price drop again by the time I'd get around to playing it.

GG Steam. GG.

Remember guys, if you missed a daily deal there is still a chance it'll go back on sale. At least that is how it was last year. I think there was even a game that I bought and it went back on sale lower priced. :(

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Remember guys, if you missed a daily deal there is still a chance it'll go back on sale. At least that is how it was last year. I think there was even a game that I bought and it went back on sale lower priced. :([/QUOTE]

I think torchlight went up at three different price points last year through the sales. Lots of grumbling about that, though most agreed it was worth it at any of them :)

Nah, once something is a daily, it won't go up for a lower price (in the same promo). It could get put up again on the final/encore day, but not lower than it was initially. Well... I say won't but by that I just mean it has never happened before -- who knows if Valve does something wacky.

[quote name='Mooby']Nah, once something is a daily, it won't go up for a lower price (in the same promo). It could get put up again on the final/encore day, but not lower than it was initially. Well... I say won't but by that I just mean it has never happened before -- who knows if Valve does something wacky.[/QUOTE]

It happened last year.

[quote name='preston181']Waiting for the new Back to the Future game to drop a little more than just 10% off.[/QUOTE]

Episode 1 was pretty awesome IMO.. when you finally get it you won't regret it... even at current price!

[quote name='HeSaveDave']It happened last year.[/QUOTE]

Example? Pretty sure I haven't seen that in the last three major sales.

Definitely in for the Claptrap DLC, and possibly in for the King Arthur complete pack. After reading that it was really hard even on the easiest difficulty, I'm a little wary now. I'm not the greatest at strategy games but the RPG aspects sound really cool. Can somebody comment on the amount of RPG content in comparison to the RTS aspects? And how difficult the game might be for somebody who is new to this "Total War" style strategy game?

Saints Row 2 is the worst PC port I've played. Even with everything on low and using those config files that IdolNinja made and tweaks he recommended (disabling page file, disabling anti-virus, defragging hard drive etc.), there was still a crazy amount of stuttering and slowdown that the game remained unplayable for me. Now there's obviously other folks who have gotten it to run really well and it might run really well for any of you who might buy it. But there's a chance you might be stuck with a game that refuses to work properly and be in the same boat as me.

[quote name='preston181']Waiting for the new Back to the Future game to drop a little more than just 10% off.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it will happen during the sale. The game JUST came out a couple of days ago.

[quote name='Mike UFC']
[quote name='JustinBeiberMustDie!']
Anyone know any good Diablo-esque clones on sale other than Torchlight or Titan Quest? Also is the Unreal Pack a good deal at $14.99 or will it likely get cheaper? Thanks!
[/QUOTE]
Sacred Gold. Lots of loot, monsters and easter eggs.[/QUOTE]
These aren't all available on Steam, but I figure someone might want the info anyway.

DeathSpank was just a daily and is often referred to as a Diablo clone but the coop is kind of an afterthought it seems.

If you don't mind something less polished than Torchlight or Diablo II, take a look at some of Soldak Entertainment's games. Depths of Peril is on Steam but I haven't played it since it's single player only. One of their other games, Din's Curse is an ambitious and somewhat complicated game with non-standard things like dungeon ecology. Despite it's complexity, It even has coop. Random Review: http://fidgit.com/archives/2010/05/dins_curse_is_like_diablo_but.php. Or, Kivi's Underworld (it requires a co-op addon) is designed to be simpler and played in shorter bursts but you do earn upgrades that you can use as you tackle the next dungeons.

Hinterlands may qualify as Diablo-esque and has some RTS sorts of elements.

Oldies-but-goodies:
Nox had a coop "Quest" mode added in a patch.
I'll also second Sacred Gold. I remember being impressed with having a horse.
Just including these for people jumping into the thread: I mentioned Darkstone (a fav of mine) and possibly Loki being passable.

Deathspank, while it has ARPG style game play, is mostly an adventure game at heart. If you're a fan of Ron Gilbert, Monkey Island, etc. you'll probably love it. If you go in expecting a fully fledged ARPG a la Diablo, Torchlight, Sacred, and Titan Quest then you'll probably be disappointed.

[quote name='whookid36']Is the iD Super Pack going to go on sale or what?[/QUOTE]

Do you actually think we know that, or are you just asking rhetorically?

[quote name='sotc1988']Not too sound like a penny-pinching scrooge here, but are the Overlord games actually, you know, good?[/QUOTE]

Yep I really liked the first one very funny and fun. It's like a funny fantasy version of pikmin if you ever played that but I liked it better than Pikmin.

Is the Overlord 1 expansion worth $1.50? I have the first Overlord which I picked up at $1.50 in a previous sale and still haven't played it, should I just get Overlord 2 for $1.50 or get the expansion too for $3?

[quote name='Mooby']Example? Pretty sure I haven't seen that in the last three major sales.[/QUOTE]

I think he's talking about Torchlight. It was on sale for $10 then $5 the last day. I remember because I paid $10 for it the first time.

Edit- Didn't notice till now that he already replied

Completely random: Anyone have opinions of Numen?
Never heard of it, apparently came out this year. From Steam's video it looks really slow and dull, but I was curious if anyone's tried it.

[quote name='Mike UFC']Arma is the best milsim out there right now. Recommend getting Arma 2: Combined Ops for $12.50 at Amazon Downloads. It comes with Arma 2 and the stand alone expansion Operation Arrowhead.[/QUOTE]

thnaks yeah will get the Combined Ops on Amazon instead

[quote name='Firvagor']Completely random: Anyone have opinions of Numen?
Never heard of it, apparently came out this year. From Steam's video it looks really slow and dull, but I was curious if anyone's tried it.[/QUOTE]
It's not completely awful but I disliked it a whole bunch

[quote name='Jaysonguy']It's not completely awful but I disliked it a whole bunch[/QUOTE]
I figured as much, but thanks for the confirmation.

Woo! Today was a good one for me.

Just in time, Torchlight and Borderlands, games I was planning on giving for x-mas. Along with Witcher and Pirates! That's probably a pretty good gift bundle.

as for ME, I'm going to grab the claptrap DLC which is all that's missing from my Borderlands. I'm probably going to grab Sam and Max, because that's a decent price for the season, and I might go after something like 3 overlord games for 3 bucks.

Back in the day, Ghost Recon (pre-GRAW) made for some terrific times LANning. Some of my favorite moments / stories of gamedom were in those sessions. But, don't think I'm gonna buy 'em today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back