Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='vlv723']Same here, is it worth $7.50 just to upgrade to the GOTY version?[/QUOTE]

For Batman?

If you already have non GOTY, I wouldn't upgrade. For people who don't have Batman: AA though, I highly recommend it at $7.50.

Well, shoot. I wasn't going to get anything today, but then an acquaintance showed me a video of the hammer in Red Faction: Guerrilla; causing me to purchase two copies for him and me.

Sneaky sod. Making me buy him stuff.

[quote name='agentghost']Just because Civ 5 is not your Civ 4 clone, doesn't mean it suck.

Newcomer of the Civ series, Civ 5 is most accessible and enjoyable entry the Civ series has ever had. The Civ4 Complete Pack is nothing compared to Civ5 in term of accessibility, gameplay and fun.

Sure the price could have been cheaper but it is a very polished game compared to Civ4

1. Multiplayer on Civ4 is shitty and non-existence.. so why are you even compare Civ4 to Civ5?!?

2. The patches indicated that developers are listening well to the community. They spent lots of time revising the game and it shown in their patch log. Would you rather that they took your money and ran away?

3. If you dont like DLC, don't buy it. I know I don't[/QUOTE]

Please don't jump to the conclusion that I'm comparing IV to V. They are separate games, and I never suggested that one was superior to the other. Re-read my post and you'll see that I'm pointing out that V is simply nowhere near as polished as IV. In response to your points:

1. I play a LAN game in IV with about 30 players regularly. This game lasts several months and is still playable by the end. In V, I can't even play without being OCD and checking EVERYTHING. If I'm not careful enough, I might scroll to another part of my empire to find that it's been under attack by barbarians for years. Yet no zoom, no icon, and no text alert. If I go to attack an enemy/barbarian unit, nothing happens. I have to mouseover the two units to find out who "won". My opponent doesn't know I attacked, either. That's a huge issue that won't impact someone who is singleplayer only. BTW, there's no hotseat, so don't think you can buy one copy and have a party with one computer.

2. I did point out that there were two patches that were released. I don't understand why you feel I'm slamming the developers here. At the same time, it's generally agreed by the community that most of the fixes in the patches SHOULD have been released with the game, and that the game was released in a very buggy, unstable format. This seems to be a growing trend in the videogame industry - buy my product, and I'll fix it in a few months.

3. Never said I intended to buy DLC or didn't. I simply stated that I felt it was inappropriate for the company to be releasing DLC so close to launch when the game isn't even 100% yet. Many of us felt as though the company could care less about us as long as we continued purchasing DLC.

If you'd like a more in-depth understanding of Civ V and its general acceptance by the community, please check out its official forums at forums.2kgames.com. You'll find people who love the game as well as people who hate it. I'm clearly not in the minority with my views.

agentghost, I have been an avid Civ player since III. I've bought both III and IV at launch, and have purchased every expansion for III and IV. I know a lot of people knocked IV's launch, but I can honestly say that V's launch was handled much more poorly by 2k and has reinforced the general "wait and see" attitude I have developed when it comes to buying video games on release day. Ironically, this attitude allows me to pay less for games (since they've been out longer) and also frees me from the frustration of waiting for patches/fixes/etc. So they're cheaper and they work. Amazing!

[quote name='Lord_Zath']
3. Never said I intended to buy DLC or didn't. I simply stated that I felt it was inappropriate for the company to be releasing DLC so close to launch when the game isn't even 100% yet. Many of us felt as though the company could care less about us as long as we continued purchasing DLC.[/QUOTE]
Where are you seeing this DLC they're working on?

So far the only DLC they have is the bonus areas from store specific promotions, the bonus civ from the deluxe edition, and the fan service civs.

All of the DLC was made or in the process of being made before the game was released so how the heck are you under the impression that they're making DLC rather then fixing a game that wasn't even out yet?

[quote name='SamusXtreme']Well, shoot. I wasn't going to get anything today, but then an acquaintance showed me a video of the hammer in Red Faction: Guerrilla; causing me to purchase two copies for him and me.[/QUOTE]
Screw the story and everything else, the game is insanely fun just because you can beat the crap out of everything with a hammer.
My friend first started playing, noticed he had a hammer, smacked a wall, watched it pretty much explode, and went "Holy shit this is AWESOME!!"

You can pretty much go through the entire campaign with just the hammer, depending on difficulty. I didn't like the multiplayer that much, but I had to bear it since I borrowed it for 360 (or rather, my friend went "here play this, it's fun") and I'm an achievement whore. Maybe if you find/have a group of friends it could be more enjoyable. (If this is the case, try making custom games with at least nano rifle, thermo rockets, singularity mines, and reconstructor...so much fun just blowing stuff up/making stuff fall over or fly away then rebuilding it)
Crap, I'm promoting this so much I'm tempted to get a PC copy myself (remember, I borrowed a copy, so I have an excuse to buy on another platform :p).

[quote name='EliotAndrews']All right, CAG's, I have a question: Splinter Cell: Double Agent - Is it any good?

I myself was never a huge fan of the Splinter Cell's, but I've sampled the first three. I've been interested in Double Agent since it is said to be a "reinvention" of the series. I wouldn't mind a more "action over stealth"-type game.

For those that have played it, is it fun and generally worthwhile?[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed DA for the most part. Some of the missions like the hotel were great fun and reminded me of the earlier games in the series. Other missions were kind of a drag. If you're not a huge fan of the series than DA won't make you one. I'm a huge fan of the series and I'd only give it a minor recommendation. Worth $5 IMO. Also, patched it with all the latest updates and had no problems whatsoever.

i tried the demo. i'm not really into stealth action-adventure.
it's a good game nevertheless but not sure if i like it enough to buy it (as good as the price is.)

for comparison, i think i prefer Star Wars Force Unleashed II...
maybe i'm weird..

any opinions? ahah too much backlog with school starting in two weeks..

[quote name='Firvagor']Screw the story and everything else, the game is insanely fun just because you can beat the crap out of everything with a hammer.
My friend first started playing, noticed he had a hammer, smacked a wall, watched it pretty much explode, and went "Holy shit this is AWESOME!!"

You can pretty much go through the entire campaign with just the hammer, depending on difficulty. I didn't like the multiplayer that much, but I had to bear it since I borrowed it for 360 (or rather, my friend went "here play this, it's fun") and I'm an achievement whore. Maybe if you find/have a group of friends it could be more enjoyable. (If this is the case, try making custom games with at least nano rifle, thermo rockets, singularity mines, and reconstructor...so much fun just blowing stuff up/making stuff fall over or fly away then rebuilding it)
Crap, I'm promoting this so much I'm tempted to get a PC copy myself (remember, I borrowed a copy, so I have an excuse to buy on another platform :p).[/QUOTE]

RFG is pretty great, but even better if you have the OS bug that causes it to run like 50% faster. It's awesome running around maniacally trashing everything with the hammer at turbo speed.

[quote name='theGieche']So how much does the Absolute Power expansion add to Tropico 3? The additions sound kind of interesting in the description but are they worth $3?[/QUOTE]

Smaller garages alone make it with the 3 bucks. I bought the expansion at full price and was happy with it.

I think I'm just going with Dragon Age Ultimate today as it's as low as it's likely to go for a few months at least and I've been anxious to play it since it was released.

Flatout and Flatout 2 are sitting in my cart while I make up my mind on those (already have FO:UC), but I guess I may as well pull the trigger for the sake of completion since they're practically giving them away.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']RFG is pretty great, but even better if you have the OS bug that causes it to run like 50% faster. It's awesome running around maniacally trashing everything with the hammer at turbo speed.[/QUOTE]

I had that bug, and never tried to fix it, because it was AWESOME. I was disappointed that that wasn't the actual default speed for the game.

OK, I know this might sound silly, but MONKEY ISLAND --sell it to me, I never played the original from 1990.... Seems like a game for kids, isn't it????

I've read that the SecuRom activation limit for Batman AA is 4 per month, but the description doesn't specify. Anyone know for sure?

Nevermind, Google seems to indicate it is 4 per month rather than lifetime.

[quote name='jazyje']OK, I know this might sound silly, but MONKEY ISLAND --sell it to me, I never played the original from 1990.... Seems like a game for kids, isn't it????[/QUOTE]

I would have tried pitching it to you, but you had 3 more question marks than necessary.

yeah I'd also like to know about the securom for Batman AA. Also any issues with Red Faction Guerrilla that might turn me off from buying it?

[quote name='jazyje']OK, I know this might sound silly, but MONKEY ISLAND --sell it to me, I never played the original from 1990.... Seems like a game for kids, isn't it????[/QUOTE]
I'll let somebody else persuade you, but I will say that the humor is essentially on the level of comic strips like Marmaduke. Don't expect genuine "LOL" worthy writing.

I still recommend the games for that price.

[quote name='M_F_A_H']I'll let somebody else persuade you, but I will say that the humor is essentially on the level of comic strips like Marmaduke. Don't expect genuine "LOL" worthy writing.[/QUOTE]

You best be trollin', son.

I bought Batman AA for 360 release day (sold it), the GOTY for PS3, and Im tempted to get it for PC. Yes yes and more yes it is worth 7.50. Like the poster above me said, the NON GOTY is worth $10.

I am looking at that Dragon Age tho. Would like to play that.

[quote name='Afrodiziak']I already own the vanilla version of Dragon Age for 360. Do you guys think the double dip would be worth it?[/QUOTE]

The games are really different in gameplay style, with the PC game more tactical. Personally, however, I would probably wait for another $10 drop before double dipping. I loved Dragon Ages on the PC, and Awakenings, but I don't think it's worth owning both at this price.

[quote name='mrfossey']The games are really different in gameplay style, with the PC game more tactical. Personally, however, I would probably wait for another $10 drop before double dipping. I loved Dragon Ages on the PC, and Awakenings, but I don't think it's worth owning both at this price.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing. I really wanted to check out the expansion but I've heard from a few people that it's probably worth waiting for a price drop right before Dragon Age 2 comes out.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I think that The Sims 3 and Neverwinter Nights 2 might actually be launching on Steam soon.

[/QUOTE]

NVN 2 on Steam would be excellent! :applause:

I decided to pickup Flatout 2 since it seems to be the best of the three.

Still considering Blue Toad and maybe Tropico 3. If I played Tropico 1 and 2, will I dislike 3?

Batman AA uses SecuROM, but it comes with a deactivation tool. So you just need to remember to deactivate the game before uninstalling it and you'll never run out of installations. Also it's one of the greatest games ever IMO; you'd be silly not to play it in some form.

[quote name='Terlan']So any feedback on Batman and its securom? Is it enough that I should pass on the game or not a big deal?[/QUOTE]

Do you reformat your hard drive every week without backing up anything? If not, then it's no big deal, even then I believe you can get it reset fairly easily.

[quote name='Terlan']K then I'll probably pick it up. I'll just have to be sure to remember to use the deactivation tool before I uninstall.[/QUOTE]

Even if you forget they're supposed to refresh themselves after one month or some such.

Grabbed two copies of FlatOut and FlatOut 2. I've got someone who lives far off from me who wants to race. If my laptop was better I'd have gotten the third one as well.

[quote name='pROvIs']Played the demo on ps3. Basically, it's alot like a professor layton game but with 4 player couch coop. If you like brain teasers and adventure games it's worth it. It was originally 20-30 on psn at the begining of the year.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I do like the Professor Layton series. I will continue pondering Blue Toad Murder Files. :) By the way, I have not forgot about testing the games in the Fright pack, just was busier yesterday than I anticipated.

[quote name='Mikerrrr']Does anybody how if Blue Toad is a daily deal that ends tomorrow (12/26/10) or a standard sale that will go until 1/2/11?[/QUOTE]

Every day is getting a new specific indie deal; Blue Toad is today's deal, so it will be gone at 10am PST tomorrow. Jump! I got it and Tropico 3 expansion today, and might get Altitude. Really want DA:OUE, but after buying FO3 GOTY on Monday, I can't imagine I will be playing it for a long time...and then it will be on sale again.

[quote name='Mikerrrr']Does anybody how if Blue Toad is a daily deal that ends tomorrow (12/26/10) or a standard sale that will go until 1/2/11?[/QUOTE]

It's a daily deal. It's the Daily Indie Deal.

I never played the original either. I have played both the SE's on consoles, and I have to admit. They are fun as hell. Easily worth the $3.75 alone. I'm debating on whether or not to get it for pc myself. Each game is 3-6 hours if my memory serves correctly. The dialogue is funny, the puzzles are unique, and it's just fun.

Just want to point out that not everything goes back up in price even if it was the daily previously. Torchlight is still 75% off and at $4.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back