Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='road3283']How tough exactly does Super Meat Boy get?

I was able to get through the demo on XBLA eventually, but definitely feeling some carpal tunnel. Ol' reflexes ain't what they used to be.[/QUOTE]

VERY!!! and you will probably invent new diatribes of cursing. :lol: However, you'll have a huge grin on your face the whole time. The game just has this mix of charm and tough as nails platforming I love.

Tempted to get BFBC2, but I do not have the time to put into multiplayer to get good at it. Generally not very good at FPS, but I have heard such good things I am tempted to play single player (although I have heard it is not as good as Modern Warfare in this regard, which I have not played either).

I have Mass Effect 1 &2 for the 360 but never played them yet. Is it worth it to buy it from Steam now and skip over the 360 versions???
Please Say No

My beef with FEAR2 was that it was impossible (without dicking around with mouse remapping software) to map the side buttons to actions. What game in 2009 can't do that? A: FEAR2!

[quote name='UNDERSTAR']I have Mass Effect 1 &2 for the 360 but never played them yet. Is it worth it to buy it from Steam now and skip over the 360 versions???
Please Say No
[/QUOTE]

I'd say you can't go wrong with either one, PC or 360. I have Mass Effect 1 and 2 for both the PC and the 360, and I love the series greatly (I've only played ME1, but I've seen my roommate play ME2 and played a little myself). It's really all about what you feel is most comfortable. People have said the interface on ME1 sucks on the 360, but I'm completely fine with it. I do admit that I like the PC interface more, but overall both versions are awesome.

knowing there was a recap mid-sale has really helped me with the second week. now I know that if i miss even a halfway decent deal [dead rising 2 for instance] it'll probably show up next sunday

[quote name='hmbtnguy']couldn't resist SMB. That's such an awesome price for a game that just came out![/QUOTE]

And there goes $3.XX out of your life. :roll:

Have fun never playing it. Or if you do playing it: have fun never beating it.

I can't get SMB to run at all. I keep getting a Windows error message every time I try to launch it. Anyone else with this problem?

Any other thoughts on the FEAR set? I haven't played either of the games and it seems like a pretty good price for the package.

Arrgh! My wallet dodged these sales last time around, but I am still tempted. Today's only game I own is ME1...might pick up FEAR1 then try my best to hold out until tomorrow's sales go up.

What's going to be the differences between buying the Mass Effect games on Steam vs. Gamer Gates vs. Xbox? I used to have the 360 version of ME1 in my backlog before it was stolen from me, but I never got around to playing it. I don't know if I should buy a new physical copy for Xbox or get a download for my PC, and I don't know anything about Gamers Gate.

[quote name='Decker']I can't get SMB to run at all. I keep getting a Windows error message every time I try to launch it. Anyone else with this problem?[/QUOTE]

I had that, it's very frustrating having no indication of what's wrong. In my case, it needed xinput9_1_0.dll in its folder, which a few other games have needed. That's part of DirectX but this DLL never seems to have gotten installed on my PC correctly. The DLL was in several of my other other Steam games' folders, so it was easy enough to find. If that isn't it, it apparently can only pop up any error messages if run directly via the .exe (and not through steam).

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']And there goes $3.XX out of your life. :roll:

Have fun never playing it. Or if you do playing it: have fun never beating it.[/QUOTE]
Dude, it's not that awful. My old wireless 360 controller has a bad "A" button, but, despite the extra deaths, I've managed to get 100% (Plus the Glitch Levels.) in levels 1 and 2.

Don't take the game so seriously. Simply enjoy the running/jumping/dying experience.

[quote name='Lost Loser']What's going to be the differences between buying the Mass Effect games on Steam vs. Gamer Gates vs. Xbox? I used to have the 360 version of ME1 in my backlog before it was stolen from me, but I never got around to playing it. I don't know if I should buy a new physical copy for Xbox or get a download for my PC, and I don't know anything about Gamers Gate.[/QUOTE]

Can't speak for Gamer Gates, but between steam and Xbox the ONLY significant thing I can think of is the price of DLC. MS frequently (in comparison to the Bioware Points store) has sales on DLC, making it a little cheaper to pick up.

You could also resell it, but.. Not sure how much it is worth to resell a $10 game. :D

As far as them recapping the week one sales I'm pleased they did. I ended up getting a BFBC2 as a result. So while its a little annoying they did it, its still nice if you ended up not picking something up the first time around for whatever reason. Plus it was a welcome break on the wallet to only have that to be tempted by XD .

[youtube]KO125KMoVjE[/youtube][youtube]dyBm2R4SiFM[/youtube]

Holiday Sale Daily Deals
12/26 Second chances on past daily deals

[youtube]_jHscKWWM9M[/youtube][youtube]D-OzdlA90xk[/youtube]

I have never downloaded a game there before. I am not at home so cannot download it to my computer, but it seems as long as I make a Steam account and buy now I can do so when I get back. If I am interpreting this wrong would someone please set me straight?

Might bite on Wings of Prey just cause I have an old joystick I want to try out and the game looks purty. I hate the DRM stuff but hopefully it is not too bad and I do not think I would install/uninstall more than 3 times anyways. For $6 I can live with that.

[quote name='SeraphiMichael']I have never downloaded a game there before. I am not at home so cannot download it to my computer, but it seems as long as I make a Steam account and buy now I can do so when I get back. If I am interpreting this wrong would someone please set me straight?[/QUOTE]
Games are tied to your account. So yes, you can buy it somewhere else and when you get home you can log in on your account and download it to that computer.

[quote name='SeraphiMichael']I have never downloaded a game there before. I am not at home so cannot download it to my computer, but it seems as long as I make a Steam account and buy now I can do so when I get back. If I am interpreting this wrong would someone please set me straight?[/QUOTE]

You are correct. Buy anywhere you want, log in at home, and download at home.

You do not have to download anything when you buy the games. Just download and install the Steam application on your comp and put them in your cart and buy. At the end it will ask you if you want to install the games and just choose no.

Then when you get to your main comp download and install the Steam application and put your username and password in and then you can download your games.

I have been using my laptop to buy all the christmas sale games as I am home away from my gaming rig in my dorm.

You know after just picking up ME 1 & 2 and BFBC2, I realized 1/3 of the games on Steam was bought first on the 360 and I have roughly 60 something games on Steam and all of them are still not played due to me being on a Netbook for the past 2 years. Just waiting to do my tax return next year in order to build a new PC I long needed after all these years. :).................. :(

Edit: DAMN YOU GABE! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!!!!!/sobbing

[quote name='CountChoculitis']Just download and install the Steam application on your comp and put them in your cart and buy.[/QUOTE]
You don't even need to install the Steam client. When you're done checking out it'll ask if you have Steam installed, just close the screen or whatever to skip it (clicking No will want you to download the client, which you might not want). Whatever you bought will still end up in your library.

Thus far I've picked up:

- Tropico 3 collection
- Super Meat Boy
- Torchlight
- Flatout Ultimate Carnage
- Lego Batman
- MLB 2K10

It's unbelievable to me that it's this easy to get 6 great games for $22.75. I'm really hoping that Lego Star Wars Complete and Lego Harry Potter hit the daily deals, I'd love to pick them up as well.

Very tempted by Meat Boy, even though I skipped it the first day. Mostly it was because I was holding out for the rumored "potato" indie pack but who knows if it'll actually show up or not.

Another thing holding me back is that I'm not big on very challenging and punishing games, and I gather the game is brutal. Still, it seems like it has so much charm judging by the trailers and a retro old-school feel that triggers something in me. Dunno if I should get it.

Hey guys! Just wanted to say I'll be going to sleep in a few hours so if you wanted to get Mass Effect 2 or BF:BC2 or Fear for a bit cheaper tonight just send me a PM.

I'll be able to gift you the games as soon as I get the paypal!

[quote name='forbiddenx']Hey guys! Just wanted to say I'll be going to sleep in a few hours so if you wanted to get Mass Effect 2 or BF:BC2 or Fear for a bit cheaper tonight just send me a PM.

I'll be able to gift you the games as soon as I get the paypal![/QUOTE]

How are you able to get it cheaper?

Does Bad Company 2 still get a lot of traffic? I really enjoyed the game when I had it for 360, might pick it up again if there are still a decent number of people for online play. :)

[quote name='MSI Magus']How are you able to get it cheaper?[/QUOTE]

Sorry meant to say for those who don't get the same prices as we do here in North America.

ie: $25 for ME2 in Europe, about $15 for BF:BC2

[quote name='helmet']Does Bad Company 2 still get a lot of traffic? I really enjoyed the game when I had it for 360, might pick it up again if there are still a decent number of people for online play. :)[/QUOTE]

Yea, there are still tons of servers filled up.

[quote name='forbiddenx']Sorry meant to say for those who don't get the same prices as we do here in North America.

ie: $25 for ME2 in Europe, about $15 for BF:BC2[/QUOTE]

Ah thanks, I kept looking at the store and did not see a price for like "$7.50 ME2 if you own ME1" or a 8 pack or anything. Was hoping I was overlooking something and could buy either game for a few cheaper ;)

Okay.... Super Meat Boy. I have heard nothing but praise from CAGers board-wide, and I watched the trailer.... and to be honest, it looked crappy. Why exactly is this a great game? (serious question) is it like a Mario platformer? What am I missing from watching the trailer? I'm just not seeing the appeal here, somebody inform me!!

[quote name='Zipomatic2']Okay.... Super Meat Boy. I have heard nothing but praise from CAGers board-wide, and I watched the trailer.... and to be honest, it looked crappy. Why exactly is this a great game? (serious question) is it like a Mario platformer? What am I missing from watching the trailer? I'm just not seeing the appeal here, somebody inform me!![/QUOTE]
It has genuine humor and charm to it, something that is hard to find lately in videogames, it's super well made, and the challenge in my opinion makes the game better instead of hindering it. Plus, it has tons of references to old-school gaming, and that's always fun. For less than $4 it won't kill you to take a chance. I did, and I'm loving it.

[quote name='Zipomatic2']Okay.... Super Meat Boy. I have heard nothing but praise from CAGers board-wide, and I watched the trailer.... and to be honest, it looked crappy. Why exactly is this a great game? (serious question) is it like a Mario platformer? What am I missing from watching the trailer? I'm just not seeing the appeal here, somebody inform me!![/QUOTE]

It's a very well polished, rewarding, hard platformer.

I wish I had a computer good enough to run these games! I'd be buying so many of them. I'm gonna go ahead and get Super Meat Boy for $3.75 though. I think my mac will be able to handle it whenever that releases.

It's kind of like the older Super Mario games. Simple graphics and a decent difficulty curve that ramps up later in the game. I'm still on the fence myself. I'm sure this flash version (released years before this version) gives taste of what to expect.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/463241

edit: it reminds me of this video I saw on youtube a while back of a guy trying to get through a custom Mario level in SMB1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C1BSbq5aB0

[quote name='PikaPichu']*snip*
edit: it reminds me of this video I saw on youtube a while back of a guy trying to get through a custom Mario level in SMB1
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that video! It had me laughing audibly with the great commentary and reminded me of all the shit I say while playing SMB.

[quote name='PikaPichu']

[/QUOTE]

You watch the other parts of that video after? Kind of a riot. Annnnd, I won't be getting SMB. If it is that intense, I am not sure I can handle it. I was never great at platformers.

[quote name='helmet']Does Bad Company 2 still get a lot of traffic? I really enjoyed the game when I had it for 360, might pick it up again if there are still a decent number of people for online play. :)[/QUOTE]

yeah tons of people play it online lots of full servers and almost full servers.

Is there a BFBC2 CAG Steam group? If not someone should make it, game is better when team is organized and communicating

[quote name='sotc1988']It has genuine humor and charm to it, something that is hard to find lately in videogames, it's super well made, and the challenge in my opinion makes the game better instead of hindering it. Plus, it has tons of references to old-school gaming, and that's always fun. For less than $4 it won't kill you to take a chance. I did, and I'm loving it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sufuma']It's a very well polished, rewarding, hard platformer.[/QUOTE]

Sold!

I will take the advice and give it a go, for $3.75, what can I lose? (well... $3.75 I guess)

Thanks for the opinions guys!

[quote name='Danny VIP']1.60 for world of goo pm me have 8 left![/QUOTE]
Are you selling Humble Indie Bundle copies of WOG that you got for a penny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back