Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gbpackers94']Is Super Meat Boy worth $7.50? I missed the sale and now I reallllly want it. Do you think I should buy it now or wait for it to go on sale again?[/QUOTE]

I was pleasantly surprised with the high quality presentation, music and playability. I didn'tr even want it until it was 3.75, but after playing it, I'd say it's worth twice that! But I agree, wait until the last day of the sale to be sure. They might drop that potato pack and it might be dirt cheap if you're interested in the rest of the games.

[quote name='DirkBelig']Why should I do that? The thing is that I've got the episodes on disc for Xbox, so this isn't a major deal. I bought vanilla GTA IV and that's what I've got, so it's not like I'm being denied anything I paid for. It's just weird that they say I've got the Complete Edition in my account when I don't.

The reason I wondered if I had gotten some sort of free upgrade is that when I tied my key for my original, bought on launch day in 1998, CD(!) copy of Half-Life to my Steam account, it unlocked the Half-Life Platinum Pack with all of the expansions (TFC, OpFor, BS) and deathmatch, etc. Sure, I'd already bought all those back in the day, but it was nice to not have to look for CDs in the unlikely event I ever wanted to replay them.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry, I must have misunderstood you. I was under the impression that you were interested in re-purchasing the episodes for your pc on top of your vanilla copy and that steam was not letting you buy it.

I got EFLC on the Thanksgiving sale, before getting GTA IV. Now the original game is on sale. Well, I should have waited.

Tried getting the complete pack now, but I cannot proceed to checkout. After choosing the payment method, I get an error message:

"There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

Went to a Brazilian gaming forum, and everybody was receiving the same message when trying to purchase GTA IV Complete Pack. Other purchases are working fine. Since GTA was not available for Brazilian Steam users until about a month ago, I guess they haven't really made it work correctly.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Indie Potato Pack: AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Audiosurf, Bit.Trip Beat, Braid, Cogs, Defense Grid, Killing Floor, Red Orchestra, Super Meat Boy, The Ball, The Wonderful End of the world, Toki Tori[/QUOTE]

If this actually comes out now, anyone with any marketing sense at Team Steam must have called in sick.

[quote name='DirkBelig']The reason I wondered if I had gotten some sort of free upgrade is that when I tied my key for my original, bought on launch day in 1998, CD(!) copy of Half-Life to my Steam account, it unlocked the Half-Life Platinum Pack with all of the expansions (TFC, OpFor, BS) and deathmatch, etc. Sure, I'd already bought all those back in the day, but it was nice to not have to look for CDs in the unlikely event I ever wanted to replay them.[/QUOTE]

The keys generated for use on HL1, Blue Shift, CS, etc. were all part of the same pool. Since they can't really tell what you're registering, they're nice enough to just unlock the whole shebang. (Even Gunman Chronicles keys work - they just don't magically bring the game to Steam.)

Ugh, totally forgot to get Archon yesterday before the price went back to $5. How is it, for anyone who did get it? I'm debating just getting it at $5, or maybe waiting for the last day to make sure it doesn't re-appear for some reason...

[quote name='gbpackers94']Is Super Meat Boy worth $7.50? I missed the sale and now I reallllly want it. Do you think I should buy it now or wait for it to go on sale again?[/QUOTE]
I bought it on 360 and Steam, this is a most excellent game and one of the highest quality Indie games I have played. There is a TON of content in the game already and a level editor is coming out next month. They have some REALLY cool stuff planned for user created content as well.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']I am sorry, I must have misunderstood you. I was under the impression that you were interested in re-purchasing the episodes for your pc on top of your vanilla copy and that steam was not letting you buy it.[/QUOTE]That's how I discovered this weird situation; I was looking to see if there was some sort of deal to by the EfLC content alone. As I dug into it, that's where the issue arose. There are a lot of similar complaints at the forums about it, so I'm not alone in wondering WTF is going on.

If you search for "Grand" at Steam, it lists GTA IV Complete Edition and vanilla GTA IV along with GTA III, GTA: VC, and GTA: SA. There is no option for just the Episodes and if I go to both GTA IV listings, it says I already own the game. Even if I wanted to waste the $10 to rebuy the whole shebang, I can't because...oh, wait, there's a button to add to the cart. OK, I give up.

BTW, I've been really digging Lara Croft and the GoL. Definitely worth the $4.

[quote name='hal']Nothing really for me today. I've been picking up the Indie Deal of the Day pretty regularly but I'm even on the fence about that one.

So I'll take the opportunity to again pimp one of the cheapest sale games on Steam - an indie number puzzler called Everyday Genius: SquareLogic ($1.50) It's great fun and I never even considered myself a fan of such puzzles.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/32150/[/QUOTE]

I 2nd that. SquareLogic is great. Hard to beat for $1.50

over 20,000 puzzles and they are really challenging

Ive put about 12 hours into over the past week and I am loving it. Can't recommend it enough. Steam Cloud support as well :)

I am about to pull the trigger on the indie brain pack today. Looks like too much fun for $5 to pass up.

[quote name='sp8001']I 2nd that. SquareLogic is great. Hard to beat for $1.50

over 20,000 puzzles and they are really challenging

Ive put about 12 hours into over the past week and I am loving it. Can't recommend it enough. Steam Cloud support as well :)

I am about to pull the trigger on the indie brain pack today. Looks like too much fun for $5 to pass up.[/QUOTE]

What keeps you going on it? I played the demo, and when I got to that first challenge puzzle and beat it and it popped up, "you have unlocked 787 new puzzles!", I about screamed. Then I realized that every level and world thing there all end in unlocking that many more puzzles.

With that said, if anybody REALLY loves quick numbers games (I do, but more of a once a day from the newspaper kind of guy), then I would highly recommend this. Enough puzzles for years...

The game gets much harder than the first couple of levels indicate, I'd agree that it would be very boring if that's all there was to it. I usually played through the puzzles leading up to the challenge and then moved on. I went back to get a few achievements, and according to Steam I've got 37 hours in the game.

[quote name='Genocidal']The game gets much harder than the first couple of levels indicate, I'd agree that it would be very boring if that's all there was to it. I usually played through the puzzles leading up to the challenge and then moved on. I went back to get a few achievements, and according to Steam I've got 37 hours in the game.[/QUOTE]

Maybe that was my problem. I played from 2 of the first 5 categories.

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Alright peeps. Forgive the ignorance, but are there any downsides to buying GTA4 complete on Steam over 360 or PS3? I've got a 360 gamepad for the compy, so I'm not worried about control schemes. In addition the computer is a bit of a beast (Quad core 3.0 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, 1 GB HD4670) so i'm not too worried about performance issues.

I guess my big question is, is it at all buggy / better to get on a console?
( PC ports are buggy as hell and questionable in quality)[/QUOTE]

I believe the primary issue with the PC port was optimization, so if you have a powerful computer (which you do), you should be fine. I have a computer that's a good bit weaker than yours that ran it fine -- my FPS were not fantastic (as low as Crysis's, without looking nearly as good), but I didn't run into any major bugs or crashes. Another issue with the PC version is that you need both a GFWL login and sign up for Rockstar's useless "social club", but once you do that, its fine. I'd say jump on it, its a good deal.

Tried all three right column strategy games, and didn't take a liking to any of them (not too big on those types of games anyway). I may get out for just Shatter today!

I seriously want Star Trek Online referrals. Anyone who buys the game, please PM me your email address so I can send you an invite before you activate the game!

[youtube]0s7TmPizNCo[/youtube][youtube]V9ofiDf54SE[/youtube]

Holiday Sale Daily Deals
12/30

[youtube]SFY76CTuDVw[/youtube][youtube]Vwx2czYmlT0[/youtube]

[quote name='Justin42']Ugh, totally forgot to get Archon yesterday before the price went back to $5. How is it, for anyone who did get it? I'm debating just getting it at $5, or maybe waiting for the last day to make sure it doesn't re-appear for some reason...[/QUOTE]

I picked it up yesterday and played a couple of games. If you're familiar with the original it plays almost identically with some upgraded graphics (though you are given the option to use versions of the original sprites, which is kind of fun). It has several different game modes and even a campaign. My only real observations after my brief time with it is that A) you'll almost certainly want to play with a game pad and B) CPU is fairly deadly in the real time combat.

Archon was one of my favorite games as a little one, though, so I'm predisposed to liking this. I recommend it at $5.

This guy was able to find separate links to the component parts for GTA, but the pricing is crazy. I guess I'll just roll with my Xbox 360 copy and stop worrying about this.

EDIT: Another poster figured out a way to get the Episodes for $10:

If you're like me and already owned GTA:IV but wish to pickup the complete edition to get the new episodes but have a "You already own this" message in the store, there is a work around.

Simply click on ADD TO CART, and while in the shopping cart checkout click on "Purchase for Myself" rather than "Purchase as Gift".

Finishing the transaction will give you Episodes of Liberty City in your game library.

Hope this helps out anyone interested in the sale.

Note: This WILL NOT give you a extra copy of GTA:IV to gift if you already have GTA:IV. This will only give you the episodes. Considering the episodes by themselves are $20, and the sale is $10, that shouldn't be a problem.

Likewise, if you already have the episodes but not vanilla GTA:IV, this will give you vanilla GTA:IV but not a extra copy of Episodes of Liberty City.

[quote name='sp8001']I 2nd that. SquareLogic is great. Hard to beat for $1.50
[/QUOTE]

Thirded. It didn't really look like my thing, but I downloaded the demo out of curiosity and ended up buying the whole thing an hour later. Lots of fun. :)

[quote name='iso135']What keeps you going on it? I played the demo, and when I got to that first challenge puzzle and beat it and it popped up, "you have unlocked 787 new puzzles!", I about screamed. Then I realized that every level and world thing there all end in unlocking that many more puzzles.

With that said, if anybody REALLY loves quick numbers games (I do, but more of a once a day from the newspaper kind of guy), then I would highly recommend this. Enough puzzles for years...[/QUOTE]

The game starts you out on the 4x4 puzzles and then each section adds something new into it. Early they add subtraction, multiplication, and division... Then they add in hidden cages and less than/greater than signs. I am in the third part of the game, the canyon I believe and the puzzles just keep getting harder and harder. 6x6 double puzzles with plenty of hidden cages and a ton of less than/greater than signs. These puzzles really make you think. And when you solve them without guessing, the feeling of accomplishment is unrivaled. This game makes you feel good about yourself each time you solve a puzzle without errors :)

Each time you beat a challenge puzzle you unlock 700 something new puzzles of that variation and in 3 different skill categories. Easy, medium, and hard.

So if you really like the 4x4 puzzles in the beginning of the game you can choose to play only those and they would keep you busy for a year or so lol.

There are just so many different types of puzzles to play. Also the stat tracking is great. And steam cloud is a nice little cherry on top to make sure that you don't lose your hard earned progress.

No daily deals for me today so I grabbed the Indie Brain Pack. For the 15 mins I've spent with it so far it seems like a very good deal. I will let you guys know how it is once I get a little more time with it.

[quote name='Justin42']Ugh, totally forgot to get Archon yesterday before the price went back to $5. How is it, for anyone who did get it? I'm debating just getting it at $5, or maybe waiting for the last day to make sure it doesn't re-appear for some reason...[/QUOTE]

If you have any fondness for Archon, you should love this version. I nabbed it for $5 the day before it went 75% off and still feel that it was totally worth it. It's got everything that was great about the original, plus cool new features like alternate attack powers, 4 player matches, new game boards, team play and a single player campaign. It's pretty much the definitive version of Archon. My only complaint is that there is currently no online multiplayer. If they add it in at some point, it'll be perfect.

[quote name='jkimrey']I have Oblivion for the 360, although I haven't played it much as of yet.

Does the PC version offer any advantages over the console?[/QUOTE]

*Much better graphic and effect
*Faster loading time
*Unlimited replayability due to mod
*Strong community support :)

For anyone considering Hot Pursuit, Criterion has gone on record saying that the DLC isn't coming to PC. So far it's only been a few cars and events, but just a heads up. I was very strongly considering it if I could get it for $30, and now I'm on the fence.

Slow Day... just picked up Oblivion and shatter.

Helped since freed up some funds to purchase Mafia 2 from amazon and it activated on steam no issues..

Wanted GTA IV: Episodes but have GTA iV already , wish they had just sold it sperately.. decided to pass for now

[quote name='Genocidal']For anyone considering Hot Pursuit, Criterion has gone on record saying that the DLC isn't coming to PC. So far it's only been a few cars and events, but just a heads up. I was very strongly considering it if I could get it for $30, and now I'm on the fence.[/QUOTE]

I finished the single player career mode last night (done with cop and racer, now)... I'm already tired of it. No need for DLC for me. I had a pretty good time with it, played it some most days since it released.

The online play is a blast, if you can get a room going.

[quote name='solaris389']I finished the single player career mode last night (done with cop and racer, now)... I'm already tired of it. No need for DLC for me. I had a pretty good time with it, played it some most days since it released.

The online play is a blast, if you can get a room going.[/QUOTE]
About how long would you say you spent and did you go for 100%? Also, how does the online work, can you join random games like in Burnout Paradise, or do you have to join a friend game? One of the things I loved about BP was the seamless integration of the online multiplayer and if that carried over to Hot Pursuit, I'd be more interested again. I've always loved Burnout, so I think I'd like this game, but $30 is a bit high for me to impulse.

[quote name='jezz.torrent']I believe the primary issue with the PC port was optimization, so if you have a powerful computer (which you do), you should be fine. I have a computer that's a good bit weaker than yours that ran it fine -- my FPS were not fantastic (as low as Crysis's, without looking nearly as good), but I didn't run into any major bugs or crashes. Another issue with the PC version is that you need both a GFWL login and sign up for Rockstar's useless "social club", but once you do that, its fine. I'd say jump on it, its a good deal.[/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks for the detailed response! :D
I figure I'll probably end up going and buying it once I get home from work. Still haven't ever gotten around to owning any version of GTA, and I figure a random sandboxer would be fun from time to time. (Though I'm not amused by the talk of limited installs on the DLC episodes.)

[quote name='DaedalusIkari'](Though I'm not amused by the talk of limited installs on the DLC episodes.)[/QUOTE]15 installs isn't enough? If I installed it on every computer and laptop I've owned in the past 14 years, I wouldn't use them all up.

I've never understood the griping about install limits, especially when it's as generous as this. Only three times, sure, I can see that being a problem, but when people filled their diapers over Bioshock's five install limit, it smelled like people who wanted to give it to a dozen pals. When called on it, they'd cry, "I reformat my computer every month!", which says to me, they don't have time to play anything because all they're doing is wiping their computers. I retired my last computer after four hard years on the original WinXP Pro install, so I don't buy the need to wipe drives. It's bull.

[quote name='DirkBelig']15 installs isn't enough? If I installed it on every computer and laptop I've owned in the past 14 years, I wouldn't use them all up.

I've never understood the griping about install limits, especially when it's as generous as this. Only three times, sure, I can see that being a problem, but when people filled their diapers over Bioshock's five install limit, it smelled like people who wanted to give it to a dozen pals. When called on it, they'd cry, "I reformat my computer every month!", which says to me, they don't have time to play anything because all they're doing is wiping their computers. I retired my last computer after four hard years on the original WinXP Pro install, so I don't buy the need to wipe drives. It's bull.[/QUOTE]

Oh it is enough. I have no idea if and when I'd reach the 15th install. I do reformat yearly though, and while it's unlikely I'll get a problem from this it's the principle of the matter that I shouldn't have to have this concern. Steam as a system has more than enough DRM, and adding limited installs on top of that feels completely unnecessary.

To build off of this, I mean, why even limit to 15 installs? If you care little enough for the number to be as high as fifteen, why even bother implementing limited installs in the first place?

If I were to do GTAIV again, I'd skip the main game and just get Episodes. I just didn't have fun with it. But I could relate a lot to Johnny, and Ballad of Gay Tony was just more old-school fun like GTA used to be.

[quote name='Wargamer']Anyone care recommend a low spec turn based strategy or turn based rpg?[/QUOTE]

X-Com!

I think Freedom Force could be considered as well.

Has anyone played and beaten Transformers? If so, roughly how long did it take you to play through? I'd like to get it, but the current "sale" price is holding me back, but if it has a fair amount of content to play through then it might convince me (I have no interest in the multiplayer part of it though)

You can probably get through the single player in less than 10 hours. It depends on the difficultly level and how quickly you try to get through the game. Multiplayer might be kinda dead though, not sure. At any rate I have it for the ps3 and its a solid game. If your a big transformer fan it might be worth it to you. There isn't a lot of re playability as far as single player unless you want to go through the same missions playing as a different transformer. If your not a big transformer fan or dying to play the game I'd pass.

[quote name='DirkBelig']15 installs isn't enough? If I installed it on every computer and laptop I've owned in the past 14 years, I wouldn't use them all up.

I've never understood the griping about install limits, especially when it's as generous as this. Only three times, sure, I can see that being a problem, but when people filled their diapers over Bioshock's five install limit, it smelled like people who wanted to give it to a dozen pals. When called on it, they'd cry, "I reformat my computer every month!", which says to me, they don't have time to play anything because all they're doing is wiping their computers. I retired my last computer after four hard years on the original WinXP Pro install, so I don't buy the need to wipe drives. It's bull.[/QUOTE]

Oh look, another person on the Internet who is convinced that just because he doesn't need (or want) something, everyone else in the world must be the same way. :roll:

There are a lot of reasons for opposing limited-install DRM, none of which are dependent on the actual of number of installs you get, a sample of which include: What happens when the authentication servers go down or the company goes tits-up? You might have 10 installs left but you're now SOL. Or what if the company decides to pull the rug out from under you and change the terms? I'm sure their 25 page EULA give them the "right" to do that. SOL again. Or how about the fact that once again the person who pirates the software gets a superior version than the person who actually paid for it? The pirate gets to install the game as many times as he wants, 20 years down the road if he feels like it. If Micropose had put this kind of DRM on the copy of Darklands that I bought in 1992, I would be, wait for it....SOL.

Sorry, but I refuse to support any company that punishes their paying customers.

[quote name='DPsycho']For anyone looking at Oblivion for the PC, you should also check out this gargantuan conversion that effectively grants you an additional full game for its engine: http://www.nehrim.de/indexEV.html[/QUOTE]

I feel Oblivion will now be leeching much of my time from me. Not sure if I should thank you or curse you. XD

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Alright peeps. Forgive the ignorance, but are there any downsides to buying GTA4 complete on Steam over 360 or PS3? I've got a 360 gamepad for the compy, so I'm not worried about control schemes. In addition the computer is a bit of a beast (Quad core 3.0 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, 1 GB HD4670) so i'm not too worried about performance issues.

I guess my big question is, is it at all buggy / better to get on a console?
( PC ports are buggy as hell and questionable in quality)[/QUOTE]

LoL, your computer is decidedly NOT a beast. You have a graphics card that was nowhere near close to the top of the line two years ago when it came out, and I'm guessing you have a ghetto CPU from the C2 generation since most i7 builds have triple channel memory.

You should absolutely be worried about performance issues. I have dual GTX 480s and an i7 at 4.2ghz and the game can push my system hard with every slider maxed at 2560x1600. Each of my two GPUs has about 5x the horsepower of a 4670 and the CPU is probably twice as fast. The game is amazing fully maxed but that's not the experience you're going to get. Your GPU is better than what's in a Xbox 360, but you'll need to run the game in a higher resolution on your PC than the 360 runs it to avoid having it look like garbage on your monitor, so it's going to chug even at low settings. Stick with the consoles until you upgrade.

Honestly, if you have a console there's no reason to buy GTA4 on PC -- negatives outweigh any positives (which I can't really think of any).

[quote name='Mooby']Honestly, if you have a console there's no reason to buy GTA4 on PC -- negatives outweigh any positives (which I can't really think of any).[/QUOTE]

Wait what? Lol. I have a console and bought GTA4 today because of the price. :)

[quote name='Mooby']Honestly, if you have a console there's no reason to buy GTA4 on PC -- negatives outweigh any positives (which I can't really think of any).[/QUOTE]

Mods and way better graphics on a powerful system.

[quote name='Terlan']You can probably get through the single player in less than 10 hours. It depends on the difficultly level and how quickly you try to get through the game. Multiplayer might be kinda dead though, not sure. At any rate I have it for the ps3 and its a solid game. If your a big transformer fan it might be worth it to you. There isn't a lot of re playability as far as single player unless you want to go through the same missions playing as a different transformer. If your not a big transformer fan or dying to play the game I'd pass.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it quite a bit. I think I'll keep it in my cart, and if there isn't anything on tomorrows deals I want then I'll pick it up before it changes price lol.

I think it's well worth that price, I got it for 9.99 and I don't feel I overpaid at all.

[quote name='u.v.bunny']Don't want to rain on anyone's Oblivion parade, but that's a pretty ordinary price for a 'daily special'. The GOTY Deluxe version was on sale for only $8.50 back in June, and the regular GOTY edition was even cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I picked it up for this price back in June, if you don't want to play it now wait for it to be cheaper.

As for me, I honestly can't find anything I want for today.

[quote name='forbiddenx']Other than Civ IV what other games would you guys recommend that isn't a daily deal but at a killer price.[/QUOTE]

Sid Meier's Pirates!
Ghost Master
Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Evil Genius
Children of the Nile
Everyday Genius: Squarelogic
CivCity: Rome

Possibly X-com games or Patricians and Merchants box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back