Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
im also considering getting spellforce. it seems to have a 8.5 review avg (gamerankings) as well as a 8.5 user review avg (gamespot). i bet i would waste a lot of time on it though. time i dont have...

I think I'm getting to the point where my Steam sale purchases from over a year ago are starting to catch up with me. I have Spellforce 2 Gold and I've never installed it. Maybe I should check it out to see if the first game is also worth owning/forgetting I bought.

Ugh. BUTTON just looks horrible. I honestly hope sales are abysmal for such a gimmicky (looking, admittedly) cash-in. Those developers deserve a slap on the nose with a rolled up newspaper, not -positive- reinforcement! D=<

Anyway, really tempted to grab BIT.TRIP Beat at that price, but honestly not sure how it controls on something other than the Wiimote. Can anyone attest to the control scheme on PC?

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Ugh. BUTTON just looks horrible. I honestly hope sales are abysmal for such a gimmicky (looking, admittedly) cash-in. Those developers deserve a slap on the nose with a rolled up newspaper, not -positive- reinforcement! D=<

Anyway, really tempted to grab BIT.TRIP Beat at that price, but honestly not sure how it controls on something other than the Wiimote. Can anyone attest to the control scheme on PC?[/QUOTE]

Even the people in the promotional video for it don't look like they are having fun.

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Ugh. BUTTON just looks horrible. I honestly hope sales are abysmal for such a gimmicky (looking, admittedly) cash-in. Those developers deserve a slap on the nose with a rolled up newspaper, not -positive- reinforcement! D=<

Anyway, really tempted to grab BIT.TRIP Beat at that price, but honestly not sure how it controls on something other than the Wiimote. Can anyone attest to the control scheme on PC?[/QUOTE]

You just use the mouse to control the paddle, I think it works great. I highly recommend the game, I was addicted to the game when I first bought it, definitely a good buy.

PC?[/QUOTE]

To be fair... B.U.T.T.O.N. was actually created for an indie games "1-button game design" contest called Gamma IV. The games were playable at GDC 2010 last year. The other games were certainly more impressive, but I saw people playing it at the awards party and people were having a good time (though alcohol was flowing).

This article talks about all the finalists:
http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2010/03/indepth_gamma_iv_winners_at_gd.html

Not saying it's good and it certainly isn't my cup of tea, but I just thought I'd clarify that it certainly isn't a "cash-in". As an aspiring indie dev myself, I just thought I'd clear the air.

Those other one button games look much more interesting than BUTTON. The most obvious thing is that the game itself has no physical way to judge if people follow the directions, and so if you're going to disregard the directions to engage in brutally unfair tactics to earn the most points the game quickly becomes pointless. Plus it looks like a great way to ruin your controllers or computer/monitor.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Those other one button games look much more interesting than BUTTON. The most obvious thing is that the game itself has no physical way to judge if people follow the directions, and so if you're going to disregard the directions to engage in brutally unfair tactics to earn the most points the game quickly becomes pointless. Plus it looks like a great way to ruin your controllers or computer/monitor.[/QUOTE]

Now this I can't necessarily disagree with. ;)

Just a heads up. Braid is on sale for $0.99 at the Mac App Store. Link here.

Granted you can't play multi-platform with the Mac App Store version, but it's $2 cheaper.

ubisoft hit collection is the weekend deal. farcry2 fortune edition, RainbowSix vegas 2, assassins creed, and call of jaurez bound in blood for 12.99.

spotlight_image_english.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7513

That's a pretty good price if you don't have any of these. I do, so another pass for me. But all of these are good games, though.

Very tempted on this. Already have Far Cry 2 on Steam, but I want Assassin's Creed and the other two don't look bad and it's still a good deal. I don't suppose you can gift extra copies with this. probably not.

It's about time AC went on sale, been waiting for this. As far is I'm concerned the other three are bonus stuff. Sweet, sweet, bonus stuff.

Now take out the DRM on AC2 so I can buy it, UbiSoft. And don't half-ass it this time, take it out for real.

Tempting, but I already have Assassins Creed on the 360 and I'm not really interested in Rainbow Six. The securom only Far Cry 2 seals this for me as something I'm not going to get. Still, it's a good price for those that want all 4 games and aren't bothered by the drm.

Hrm, I beat AC on 360, and have both CoJ and Vegas 2 from Target clearance/BBV sales on PS3. Haven't played em, and the co-op would be easier on Steam, but...hmm.

All four are actual games people might want, so that's cool, but I've played all three. Call of Juarez and AC1 are both good-not my favorites ever, but I liked both. Farcry 2 is impressive, but I hated it almost immediately, and I love almost all single player FPS. Rainbow Six was another rare shooter I didn't like...gave up on both.

[quote name='Pollox']Tempting, but I already have Assassins Creed on the 360 and I'm not really interested in Rainbow Six. The securom only Far Cry 2 seals this for me as something I'm not going to get. Still, it's a good price for those that want all 4 games and aren't bothered by the drm.[/QUOTE]

Far Cry 2 doesn't actually have SecuROM anymore. It was completely removed via patch ages ago (not just the activation limit, but the entire SecuROM implementation itself was completely removed), but for whatever bizarre reason, Steam still lists the game as having it on the store page. If you don't want to take my word for it (though I'm kind of an expert on Steam, if I do say so myself), check the FC2 subforum on the Steam forums, and you'll see many other users reporting the same thing, in response to this same question. It only uses Steam itself for DRM now, and like any other Steam DRM-only game, you can install the game as many times you want, on as many systems you want. Same goes for the other 3 games in this pack; nothing but Steam DRM.

This comes up every time FC2 goes on sale. If SecuROM is the only thing keeping you from pulling the trigger, then you should be informed that it's not actually an issue, in this case.

I have 3 out of the 4 on Steam, everything but Call of Juarez and I already have a physical copy of that. I would have probably bought it just to have on Steam for $5 or less by itself.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Far Cry 2 doesn't actually have SecuROM anymore. It was completely removed via patch ages ago (not just the activation limit, but the entire SecuROM implementation itself was completely removed), but for whatever bizarre reason, Steam still lists the game as having it on the store page. If you don't want to take my word for it (though I'm kind of an expert on Steam, if I do say so myself), check the FC2 subforum on the Steam forums, and you'll see many other users reporting the same thing, in response to this same question. It only uses Steam itself for DRM now, and like any other Steam DRM-only game, you can install the game as many times you want, on as many systems you want. Same goes for the other 3 games in this pack; nothing but Steam DRM.

This comes up every time FC2 goes on sale. If SecuROM is the only thing keeping you from pulling the trigger, then you should be informed that it's not actually an issue, in this case.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I had searched to see if this was the case, but apparently did a poor job. It wasn't the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger, but with it out of the picture this deal is definitely worth me considering. I could even try to sell my 360 version of Assassins creed to pay for some of the cost of this pack. Hmm, decisions, decisions.

Hey, does anyone want just Far Cry 2? I already own it and am trying to see if I can have a friend buy it as a gift and then split it up that way. Let me know.

Think I'll skip the bundle even though it's pretty decent. Already got Far Cry 2 and Assassin's Creed on Steam, and even though I'd be interested in the other two I think I'll hold off. Waiting for a Rainbow Six bundle to show up for $5 or something.

[quote name='Woolagaroo']Hey, does anyone want just Far Cry 2? I already own it and am trying to see if I can have a friend buy it as a gift and then split it up that way. Let me know.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, you cannot "split" the pack up - you can either gift the entire pack or purchase the entire pack for yourself. If you already own of the games in the pack, you effectively repurchase it.

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Unfortunately, you cannot "split" the pack up - you can either gift the entire pack or purchase the entire pack for yourself. If you already own of the games in the pack, you effectively repurchase it.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, oh well. Thanks for the heads up, I thought it might not be possible. Still a good deal...

i guess im not buying spellforce then. what a great pack. I wanted ALL of these games. not so much farcry 2, but wtvr. Just played 2 hours of call of juarez. not bad so far.

Totally would be buying the pack if I didn't have 2 of the 4 games, but as my backlog currently stands I think I can wait until I can get just the 2 missing games for cheaper.

I don't have any of these 4 games. My computer probably couldn't run them very well anyway. Would this be a good buy now if I won't have a solid gaming PC until the end of the year? I don't remember their prices (if any) from the holiday sale.

[youtube]MtYQeDFGcqk[/youtube][youtube]h-Yu8OJJYmA[/youtube]

Steam Games on Sale - Updated 3/1
[youtube]JPF_f0vOixs[/youtube][youtube]qwH0DvM9GPA[/youtube]

Whoa that is a really good deal on the Ubi pack definitely in for one, I've rented both Far Cry 2 and Call of Juarez on PS3 before and liked them especially FC 2, so it will be nice to own them on my PC

Why am I being tempted by that deal when I've already finished two of the games, and disliked the other two? :lol: Dang these Steam people are smart :lol:

EDIT: Beware-I just noticed that at least Farcry 2 has (besides Steam's activation) a separate 5 activation with SecuROM too.

I swear these publishers don't actually want to sell games...

[quote name='Wolfpup']Why am I being tempted by that deal when I've already finished two of the games, and disliked the other two? :lol: Dang these Steam people are smart :lol:

EDIT: Beware-I just noticed that at least Farcry 2 has (besides Steam's activation) a separate 5 activation with SecuROM too.

I swear these publishers don't actually want to sell games...[/QUOTE]

Nope. Read post #7047.

Amazon is selling the games for 3.99 each, just download though, probably wont be able to add to steam. so for those interested in just 1 game, could be nice.

[quote name='paulcalypse']I don't have any of these 4 games. My computer probably couldn't run them very well anyway. Would this be a good buy now if I won't have a solid gaming PC until the end of the year? I don't remember their prices (if any) from the holiday sale.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lito88']Nope. Read post #7047.[/QUOTE]

Oh, thanks for the info!

Sweeet, great deal for me, just got a laptop that should run all these smoothly.

Wasn't r6v2 a gfwl game? If so will it have achievements?

[quote name='houdinilogic']anyone care to speculate as to whether we'll see dragon age go on sale this week to promote the release of DA2?[/QUOTE]

You can download the ultimate edition on Amazon for 19.99.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']if FC2 had a quicksave button it would be enjoyable. Such an amazing game ruined by a lazy and stupidly designed game world[/QUOTE]

It does. At least it did when I played.

Spellforce is still on sale, it's a great package of games.
I cannot talk it up enough, I'll be in here again if it's still on sale lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back