Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jaysonguy']Spellforce is still on sale, it's a great package of games.
I cannot talk it up enough, I'll be in here again if it's still on sale lol[/QUOTE]

Is it worth it to buy both? Backlog is kind of a beast, so I may just pick up #2.

you probably will never play spelllforce dude, that is if your backlog looks anything like mine. I seriously need to stop playing multiple games at the same time. Ive been playing half-life 2 since 4 years ago. I think im close to finishing it. but then i have to play episodes 1 and 2. need to finish crysis warhead also. and now I started playing call of juarez. playing lara croft coop with abuddy. and then of course, theres the mp games. OH just remembered jsut cause 2. goddammit. I wish i was 12 years old again. growing up sucks. no time to play. and when i DO have time, i can only play 1 thing.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Is it worth it to buy both? Backlog is kind of a beast, so I may just pick up #2.[/QUOTE]

Just buy Spellforce Platinum is my advice, Spellforce 2 Platinum will be released later on that includes one more new expansion.

Both games are great though :)

I really want Call of Juarez. Had my eye on it since release.

However, the other three: I own FC2, beat and finished AC on Xbox, and owned at one point for xbox but still not that interested in RS6Vegas.

Sadly I still want to click buy. Call of Juarez isn't really a big enough game to get its own sale and I doubt it will be much cheaper alone then the combined asking price here.

I need help :(

[quote name='pROvIs']I really want Call of Juarez. Had my eye on it since release.

However, the other three: I own FC2, beat and finished AC on Xbox, and owned at one point for xbox but still not that interested in RS6Vegas.

Sadly I still want to click buy. Call of Juarez isn't really a big enough game to get its own sale and I doubt it will be much cheaper alone then the combined asking price here.

I need help :([/QUOTE]

It's $4 download on Amazon.

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']Really want Amnesia, but I'm afraid it will scare the piss balls out of me.[/QUOTE]

Puts hair on your chest.

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']Really want Amnesia, but I'm afraid it will scare the piss balls out of me.[/QUOTE]

Your fears are well-founded, I assure you.

[quote name='JakeNome']you probably will never play spelllforce dude, that is if your backlog looks anything like mine. I seriously need to stop playing multiple games at the same time. Ive been playing half-life 2 since 4 years ago. I think im close to finishing it. but then i have to play episodes 1 and 2. need to finish crysis warhead also. and now I started playing call of juarez. playing lara croft coop with abuddy. and then of course, theres the mp games. OH just remembered jsut cause 2. goddammit. I wish i was 12 years old again. growing up sucks. no time to play. and when i DO have time, i can only play 1 thing.[/QUOTE]

I think my last post in here was a little before i started a real job. I was excited since i can actually afford things now. Unfortunately, I don't have time to actually play anything. Looking back on being 13 - 17, I had it good. I had more money and free time when making 6 dollars an hour than I do making 30.

On a more related note. Tempted to buy both Spellforce 2 and this weekend pack, but I doubt I'll get around to playing any of them before I retire in three decades.

I just downloaded Gears of War through the GFWL client and it won't install. What a load of garbage. Steam is so much better about this stuff, I can see why people like them so much now.

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 is $2 of Amazon, didn't see that price posted specifically. I wonder if it has some lame DRM problem though. Otherwise, I like digital games on Amazon.

I have Assassin's Creed on xbox and I don't care about Rainbow 6 but I want the other two. Yeah, it'd be cheaper to get the 2 I want off Amazon but I don't know much about how their download model works and I'm really like how Steam is.

Amazon's download model right now is similar to if you bought it off the EA store. DRM is handled for each game individually and you have to manually update. Downloads and install limits are unlimited I believe now, the policy got changed I think last year.

So Steam is better but sometimes its cheaper to go with Amazon and if you don't mind not having achievements and manually patching its not that bad.

[quote name='runsongas']Amazon's download model right now is similar to if you bought it off the EA store. DRM is handled for each game individually and you have to manually update. Downloads and install limits are unlimited I believe now, the policy got changed I think last year.

So Steam is better but sometimes its cheaper to go with Amazon and if you don't mind not having achievements and manually patching its not that bad.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. I can still put the games in my Steam library regardless if I didn't buy from them. I did some checking around and the audio for Call of Juarez won't run if it's on surround sound. Deal breaker for a game like that. I'll probably get Far Cry 2 off Amazon then.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Is there ANY chance I can get direct 2 drive to pricematch this?[/QUOTE]
http://www.direct2drive.com/staticpage.aspx?topic=price_match

The answer is "no," though, because of this provision in their pricematch policy:
Offer not valid on coupons, rebates, promotional offerings, percent-off advertisements or membership pricing for other sites.

Pricematching sales is not something you're ever going to see in digital distribution, pretty much.

[quote name='JakeNome']you probably will never play spelllforce dude, that is if your backlog looks anything like mine. I seriously need to stop playing multiple games at the same time. Ive been playing half-life 2 since 4 years ago. I think im close to finishing it. but then i have to play episodes 1 and 2. need to finish crysis warhead also. and now I started playing call of juarez. playing lara croft coop with abuddy. and then of course, theres the mp games. OH just remembered jsut cause 2. goddammit. I wish i was 12 years old again. growing up sucks. no time to play. and when i DO have time, i can only play 1 thing.[/QUOTE]
That tends to happen to me too, but I've found that when I hardcore-play a MMO I buy a lot less for my backlog. Thankfully, RIFT has taken that position for the time being. :D

rift looked like garbage to me. tho i never really played any mmo besides wow (fake private server wow...long time ago). what looks good to me though is T.E.R.A. though i probably wont get that cuz i think its paytoplay. what I WILL get though is Guild Wars 2 which looks even better.

[quote name='runsongas']Amazon's download model right now is similar to if you bought it off the EA store. DRM is handled for each game individually and you have to manually update. Downloads and install limits are unlimited I believe now, the policy got changed I think last year.

So Steam is better but sometimes its cheaper to go with Amazon and if you don't mind not having achievements and manually patching its not that bad.[/QUOTE]
Hahaha, that's true; I was hoping for a Dark Void discount over at Steam during the Holiday Sale, but it never came. Luckily, Amazon had its own promotion, which had Dark Void Zero for $1.25 and Dark Void for $7.50. Overall, I think I made out very well.

The only thing that bugs me is if there is an install limit on DVZ, since nothing is mentioned by Amazon, the downloader program, or the game itself.

[quote name='zillionandnine']Midweek Madness sale - Mafia II for $7.50, digital deluxe version for $10. No DLC on sale though.[/QUOTE]

Definitely buying that when I get home.

Digital Deluxe adds some stuff. It's up to you to determine whether or not it warrants a 30+% higher price tag:

• Made Man Pack: Free access to in-game downloadable pack that lets players get behind the wheel of two different luxury automobiles modeled after classic cars from the period. In addition, Vito will look the part with two new “made man” suits, including a vintage tux.
  • Digital Art Book: Get to know the families of Empire Bay with a photo album-style Digital art book that takes fans through the artistic design process of the game.
  • Orchestral Soundtrack: Immerse yourself in Empire Bay’s symphonic masterpiece with the Mafia II score recorded by the Prague FILMHarmonic Orchestra.
  • Digital Map of Empire Bay: Get familiar with the neighborhoods and own the streets with the Digital map depicting the 10 square miles of Empire Bay and all the hangout spots.

I am getting Mafia 2 for sure. I passed during the Christmas sale because I wasnt sure how much I was going to spend and regretted later not picking it up.

When I rented Mafia for 360 last year I was impressed by the presentation but found the environments kind of sterile and boring. I didn't play it for too long though before returning it, anyone think it's worth picking up on PC? Does it get better and is there more to do as you progress in the game?

[quote name='etcrane']When I rented Mafia for 360 last year I was impressed by the presentation but found the environments kind of sterile and boring. I didn't play it for too long though before returning it, anyone think it's worth picking up on PC? Does it get better and is there more to do as you progress in the game?[/QUOTE]

I played through it to completion on 360, but by the end I was pretty bored. The story/voice acting is great, but it's got that open-world mission syndrome. Get mission, drive to a place, shoot guys, drive someplace else, shoot more guys, escape from cops, drop somebody off, done. Rinse and repeat for a good majority of the game.

At least the shooting had a pretty good feel to it and you definitely felt like you were in the 40s/50s, even if it does get a bland after a while.

I enjoyed it more than gtaiv, because there wasn't as much busywork and downtime where you are just treading water.

I would have liked some choice though. There are 2-3 moments in the game where multiple paths would really have enhanced the storyline, especially towards the later chapters.

I haven't played either Majesty yet, but I've heard the second is really inferior to the original. Also, that's not much of a deal on the complete pack.

Majesty 2 is fun, but it doesn't have a sandbox mode or anything. Which I feel would've helped the game alot. They have the battle creator DLC or something, but I don't think it's a sandbox mode.

[quote name='forbiddenx']Empire Total War is $7.50 could be the weekend deal![/QUOTE]

More than likely; many of the other sites have offered part or all of the total war series at a discount within the last two weeks to hype up the release of Shogun 2 on Tuesday. I believe greenmangaming had a whole week dedicated to the total war series.

Still a shame for me anyways as I'd like to see Napoleon go on sale.

Total War Collection: $64.99
4G8d9.jpg

consists of:
Empire: Total War
Medieval II: Total War
Napoleon Total War: Imperial Edition
Rome Total War: Gold
Total War: Shogun 2

...and 8 Shogun Themed Team Fortress 2 items

they definitely will. it says the sale is from march 11-13. since today is the 10th, and Empire Total War is already on sale., that means theres 3 days left for the other 3 games. and it says a new game is featured each day. the only question is how much they'll discount them.

I don't foreseeing them discounting the pack which includes both Empire and Napoleon. My guess is that since they discounted Empire today (at $7.50), Napoleon may be tomorrow, and perhaps Medieval and/or Rome the day after. But to discount the Empire+Napoleon pack on the second or last day of the sale will definitely piss off some people who bought Empire today.

Wait... the Total War games are on sale again? This has to be one of the most frequently discounted series on Steam...

[quote name='projectionist']Is Rome: TW worth it at @ $2.50...or will a hardcore StarCraft II fan not find any interest in it?[/QUOTE]

A better question would be to ask if you like Civilization. Because the only real time strategy portion of the game is the battles (which are splendid), but the campaign map is entirely turn based.

Now I like Starcraft 2 and I also love Total War. But really... is $2.50 going to be too detrimental if you find out you don't like it?

[quote name='JakeNome']they definitely will. it says the sale is from march 11-13. since today is the 10th, and Empire Total War is already on sale., that means theres 3 days left for the other 3 games. and it says a new game is featured each day. the only question is how much they'll discount them.[/QUOTE]

No, they definitely won't. Stop making assumptions that are just flat out wrong.

[quote name='shingletingle']No, they definitely won't. Stop making assumptions that are just flat out wrong.[/QUOTE]

??

It seems pretty clear to me that they are featuring each of the older games in the combo pack for 1 day each on deep discount. So far, 2 days, 2 games. 2 days to go, 2 games to go. They haven't said it explicitly, but "1 game each day" for 4 days, when there's 4 games... it doesn't take a genius to connect those dots.

Do you know better, or are you just trying to squelch JakeNome's enthusiasm?

[quote name='Needles-Kane']Check Amazon for price match, Rome Total War is $2.50 there at least. Don't like being pulled between 2 sources but I have a bunch of Amazon credit.[/QUOTE]

Is what amazon selling steam code too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back