Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Frontier, and soon AT&T all have bandwidth caps in the US. You just wait.. in a few years every single ISP in America will have bandwidth caps.

So this myth about it being Canadian only is pure ignorance.

I doubt it. There are some ISP's trying it, but that's not where the model is headed and barring any non-compete behavior from them, I think unlimited - or extremely generous - caps will win out. Just look at the cell phone wars where multiple corporations are allowed to compete strongly in any given market - a company imposing limited minutes is lambasted by competitors.

If we see more ISPs pushing for caps in the US, you can bet there's going to be an uprising and a push for the government to force open the cable marketplace. It's going to be exceedingly difficult to put the genie back in the bottle.

If anyone has a copy of Defense Grid Awakening that they want to sell they got with the potato pack, I'll gladly take it of your hands for the 2.50 it'll cost you. Leave me a PM.

The only game I want is Amnesia (I also wanted magicka, but it's not in the pack).

If anybody is willing to sell an extra steam copy of Amnesia for $5 pm me.

I just noticed that Amnesia: The Dark Descent is now 50% off. I didn't pick up this game yet, but I may give it a try for $10.

The fabled Potato Pack finally makes an appearance

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7586/?r

List of games:
1... 2... 3... KICK IT! (Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby)

AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

AudioSurf

BIT.TRIP BEAT

Cogs

Defense Grid: The Awakening

Killing Floor

RUSH

Super Meat Boy

The Ball

The Wonderful End of the World

Toki Tori

All for $38.72

Before anyone asks, you CAN gift any you already own (How cool!)

Not an official Steam deal, but I have a code for Shogun 2 that I would sell for $35.
Got it through a promotion for buying an i5 2600k at Newegg.
I would play it, but I usually suck at these types of games

Hit me up with a PM if you are interested :)

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']The fabled Potato Pack finally makes an appearance

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/7586/?r

List of games:
1... 2... 3... KICK IT! (Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby)

AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

AudioSurf

BIT.TRIP BEAT

Cogs

Defense Grid: The Awakening

Killing Floor

RUSH

Super Meat Boy

The Ball

The Wonderful End of the World

Toki Tori

All for $38.72

Before anyone asks, you CAN gift any you already own (How cool!)[/QUOTE]

I'm on the fence about this one. It seems like a nice bundle but it's a bit much for me to buy on impulse...

[quote name='topplehat']I'm on the fence about this one. It seems like a nice bundle but it's a bit much for me to buy on impulse...[/QUOTE]

It's not on Impulse, it's on Steam.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

It seems no one is interested in Hoard. I'd love to get in on a group buy myself. My husband and I both want Steam copies. Just had a chance yesterday to play the PS3 version, and we were hooked. We ended up playing the game for almost two hours in co-op.

[quote name='Rongod22']Super Meat Boy is Half Off. ($7.50 instead of $15.00). I may have to jump on this.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't it like 3 dollars during the holiday sale or something?

[quote name='utopianmachine']It seems no one is interested in Hoard. I'd love to get in on a group buy myself. My husband and I both want Steam copies. Just had a chance yesterday to play the PS3 version, and we were hooked. We ended up playing the game for almost two hours in co-op.[/QUOTE]

I'd help you out, if my 4-pack wasn't already going to my friends. I love this game so much.

I really hope being able to gift copies of non-Valve games you already own is not just a fluke for this pack. That would be awesome if they start doing it for all packs including the game company ones.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I really hope being able to gift copies of non-Valve games you already own is not just a fluke for this pack. That would be awesome if they start doing it for all packs including the game company ones.[/QUOTE]

Don't expect it to become the standard.

[quote name='Rongod22']Super Meat Boy is Half Off. ($7.50 instead of $15.00). I may have to jump on this.[/QUOTE]

Jump on it! It is so much fun! Hard as Hell, but still very fun.

Just looking at all the pretentious crap in the potato pack makes me shudder.

But... but... Toki Tori. That is one of the best side scrolling room-based puzzlers out there. A real head-scratching game, polished as hell. I highly recommend it even if I have trouble looking at the rest of the pack.

Audiosurf, Bit Trip... disgusting.

Still, Super Meat Boy is great fun, DG is great if you can stand that awful abortion of a genre called tower defense.

[quote name='utopianmachine']It seems no one is interested in Hoard. I'd love to get in on a group buy myself. My husband and I both want Steam copies. Just had a chance yesterday to play the PS3 version, and we were hooked. We ended up playing the game for almost two hours in co-op.[/QUOTE]

Im down let me know if you can find 1 more person.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Just looking at all the pretentious crap in the potato pack makes me shudder.

Audiosurf, Bit Trip... disgusting.
[/QUOTE]

What strange things you say. Bit.Trip.Beat is a great game. AudioSurf's not bad as a music visualizer, though I never did get into its gameplay.

Oh yeah, finally updated the OP.

Know that I'm a co-op gaming noob. My husband and I want to get Hoard and play co-op together. I know we each have to have Hoard for our respective Steam accounts. Will we be able to choose to play together? The last thing I want is to be paired with some random Steam player. Is that was co-op basically means? Getting to pick who you play with?

[quote name='utopianmachine']Know that I'm a co-op gaming noob. My husband and I want to get Hoard and play co-op together. I know we each have to have Hoard for our respective Steam accounts. Will we be able to choose to play together? The last thing I want is to be paired with some random Steam player. Is that was co-op basically means? Getting to pick who you play with?[/QUOTE]

haven't tried hoard, but generally if someone on your friends list is in a game that you also own, there will be an option to "join game" when you click on their name in the friends list.

I already own all that I want from the Potato sack. Wasn't this deal supposed to be in last years Christmas (Holidays, w/e) type sale?

Amnesia, Defense Grid, Killing Floor, Rush, and Super Meat Boy are must haves. The rest, a big whopping Meh. I only own audiosurf because I got it for free.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Don't expect it to become the standard.[/QUOTE]

I know just wishful thinking on my part. The reality though is I agree with your statement.

[quote name='RollingSkull']DG is great if you can stand that awful abortion of a genre called tower defense.[/QUOTE]

Takethat.gif

The Tower Defense genre is not bad

Starcraft's Sunken D map was [maybe still is] the most playable and likable map online.
Warcraft's Wintermaul and the Tower Defense map wwere very popular until DOTA became the most playable map in WC.
Ninjatown has a likable story and its tower defense gameplay is really fun

Go back to bed, Wright

[quote name='TheKbob']I already own all that I want from the Potato sack. Wasn't this deal supposed to be in last years Christmas (Holidays, w/e) type sale?[/QUOTE]

No, the sale wasn't supposed to happen until now, because it is much more than a sale.

Consider, though: do you really think it was a mistake that we first heard about it over 3 months ago?

[quote name='houdinilogic']haven't tried hoard, but generally if someone on your friends list is in a game that you also own, there will be an option to "join game" when you click on their name in the friends list.[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks! My hubby and I bought the game last night, so we're looking forward to it getting officially released today so we can play together tonight!

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']No, the sale wasn't supposed to happen until now, because it is much more than a sale.

Consider, though: do you really think it was a mistake that we first heard about it over 3 months ago?
[/QUOTE]

Meh, some folks will have lots of fun with that stuff, but I don't have the time. Wasn't a big deal for me either since I already own what I want from the pack.

No leak is a mistake. Can't wait for the summer sale.

[quote name='nny']Maybe I've just missed it, but I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about all the potato updates. It's actually part of an elaborate ARG: http://valvearg.info/wiki/Valve_PotatoFoolsDay_ARG_Wiki[/QUOTE]

The ARG hasn't been discussed much here at CAG because, well, it's not a sale. The sale is a sale, though!

I've been following the ARG stuff on the Steam forums. Fascinating stuff.

I've heard good things about Shattered Horizon, but I would rather wait until they have another free weekend so I can try it out before buying. When they had them in the past I was still on XP64 and it requires Vista or later.

Worth mentioning that Shattered Horizon recently added some fairly competent bots. So even though MP is mostly dead at this point you can still shoot some fools in space.

[quote name='WormFOODx']Hoard came out today on Steam. Gonna try the demo, but is this on anyone's radar for a 4-pack?[/QUOTE]
Im down.

[quote name='AAust1594']They just added the Midweek Madness, Aliens vs. Predator and the DLC is 75% off.[/QUOTE]

It's a good-looking game, but everything about it just feels very derivative and bland. I bought it for $5 in December, and that exactly reflects the game's value.

Got it for $8 already. Decent game but doesn't hold a candle to the original AVP or AVP 2. Is the DLC worth it? Seems like mostly MP stuff and I heard MP was dead.

[quote name='AAust1594']They just added the Midweek Madness, Aliens vs. Predator and the DLC is 75% off.[/QUOTE]

Anyone know if this is a decent game in co-op mode? Might be worth $5 to go through it then..

[quote name='brandonandtiff']Anyone know if this is a decent game in co-op mode? Might be worth $5 to go through it then..[/QUOTE]

From the AvP Steam forums:
No, campaigns aren't co-op. Co-op is a separate survival mode where up to 4 people can gather up to shoot waves after waves of aliens. Quite fun because the alien A.I and animations are done well.

Can't decide if i want avp for $5. I was a big fan of AvP2 at lan parties with friends, and I think it'd be great to revive the spirit of it with modern AvP at our current lans. That said though, really haven't heard anything but hate or mediocrity about it. Can any peeps who did AVP2 multiplayer comment on how this game compares?

[quote name='eastx']What strange things you say. Bit.Trip.Beat is a great game. AudioSurf's not bad as a music visualizer, though I never did get into its gameplay.

Oh yeah, finally updated the OP.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't a fan of Audiosurf's visualization OR gameplay, really.

And Bit Trip Beat? Great? Oh man. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Can't decide if i want avp for $5. I was a big fan of AvP2 at lan parties with friends, and I think it'd be great to revive the spirit of it with modern AvP at our current lans. That said though, really haven't heard anything but hate or mediocrity about it. Can any peeps who did AVP2 multiplayer comment on how this game compares?[/QUOTE]

It's been awhile since I played AVP 2. The types of MP in this new AVP are similar to the old ones. I think the main issue was they waited to add dedicated servers to the pc version. By the time they did the community was pretty much dead.

DEATH MATCH: (same)
If you love a game with frantic, brutal chaos then Death Match in AVP multiplayer is for you. It’s all about getting the most kills in the time limit set. Players can also win the match by hitting the target score before anyone else.

INFESTATION: (similar to Hunter)
For total over-whelming mayhem, nothing comes close to the tension and potential for pant-wetting scenarios than INFESTATION. One player starts the match as an Alien Hunter and their task is to kill the Marine prey. When a Marine player is killed they will join the Alien Hunter team and help to kill off any remaining Marines.

MIXED SPECIES DEATH MATCH:

just like Death Match, but with mixed species. Two teams, made up from all three species fight to get the most kills in the set time limit or to reach the target score before the other team.

SURVIVOR:
(similar to survivor)
For the ultimate test of stamina, play Survivor Mode. Survivor allows for up to four players to enter an arena to fight waves of progressively stronger aliens. Each arena will be set up with two main areas. One will be a platform which is relatively easy to defend; the other will be an area where ambush by aliens is more likely. Supplies of health and ammo will re-spawn in this second area.

PREDATOR HUNT:
(new)
If you’re after a more stealthy multiplayer game go for Predator Hunt. In this mode one player is selected to become the Predator Hunter, the rest of the players take the role of the Marine prey. The Hunter must use the Predator’s stealth abilities and advanced equipment to pick off the prey and score points. The Marines will need to defend themselves from this threat and if possible, to kill the Hunter.

SPECIES DEATH MATCH:
(team deathmatch)
Species Death Match pits a Marine team, Alien team and Predator team against each other in a race to get the most kills within the set time limit or to reach the target score before any of the other teams.

DOMINATION:
(similar to evacuation)
Take capture the flag to a whole new level with Domination. In Domination two teams fight for ownership of Control Points around the level. Owning a Control Point gives the team a small and steady, stream of points. The more Control Points owned, the more that team scores. A team will win when their score has reached 100 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back