Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BitLooter']The thing about GoG is, there's no DRM on the installers. So you can download them and make as many copies as you want on discs/hard drives/whatever, and if GoG ever goes out of business you still have your games. Whereas with Steam, if they ever go under (and fail to make good on their promise to unlock all our games) your stuff is gone.

For less than $15 you can get 50 DVD+Rs, which is more than 200GB of backup medium. If you're worried about your GoG purchases, buy a spindle and run off a few copies of your stuff. Side benefit, when you want to play them you don't have to wait for them to download or even need internet at all.[/QUOTE]

Damn that is an excellent point. I'm gonna go back up my installers now lol.

PS: Anyone know an easy way to auto-backup your game saves that aren't Steam Cloud? Including non-Steam and Steam games?

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Damn that is an excellent point. I'm gonna go back up my installers now lol.

PS: Anyone know an easy way to auto-backup your game saves that aren't Steam Cloud? Including non-Steam and Steam games?[/QUOTE]

GameSave Manager has, by far, been the most efficient program at doing this. It receives continual updates for newer games and searches your entire hard drive and places all of your files in an archive. Try it out...

http://gsm.duncsweb.com/

Steam Achievements are a pretty big deal to me. Getting The Witcher 2 on Steam, I'll have additional incentive to do things I might not have done otherwise, such as play the hardest difficulty.

If you're buying The Witcher 2 at GOG because it doesn't have DRM, that sounds like someone who hasn't really bought into the Steam platform. A Steam fan who buys it at GOG to more fully support the developers, that I can understand.

A couple more reasons to order The Witcher 2 from GOG are:

1. You can pre-load nearly all of the game now and just download the final 100 MB or so when they unlock the game. That leads to...

2. The game will be unlocked on GOG at 7am GMT on Tuesday which is 2AM CDT. Since I stay up late anyway, I'll get to play well ahead of anyone who downloads it on Steam which is supposed to unlock around NOON CDT.

I would have loved to have Steam Achievements but the pre-loading, earlier release and supporting the devs led me to buy from GOG.

[quote name='smoger']Exactly.. it's amazing to me how worried people are about GOG going under, when their games don't have DRM. That would be like being upset that you can no longer order an original copy of Descent from Interplay.

You buy the game, having the ability to redownload is great, but if they go under, you STILL have your games.. assuming they give everyone a heads up before the servers go down, and there's no reason to believe they wouldn't.

Not that I'm knocking steam.. either is a great way to buy games[/QUOTE]

I personally think the interest of this is far overstated.
*if* Steam goes down, and *assuming* they don't bother to have some way to get past the user login on steam to force 'offline' mode, then I'll just download a crack, or the hacking community will come up with a way to bypass the steam client.
Either way at the end of the day we'll both have a local version with nothing to show for it that we own it but the receipt we printed when we bought it.

And I don't know about you, but I went digital because I wanted to *stop* the CD crap. Not to start backing up my digitals to old media.

I also think the 'supporting' Gog statement for buying Witcher 2 is rather strange. Witcher 2 is the first game to introduce both regional pricing, and a form of DRM to gog. Support gog? Then put your money into all the other games that don't have that.

[quote name='Pheace']
Witcher 2 is the first game to introduce both regional pricing, and a form of DRM to gog. Support gog? Then put your money into all the other games that don't have that.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand this statement. GOG claims no DRM on The Witcher 2.

Right in their FAQ:
Q. Is The Witcher 2 really going to be completely DRM free? It's a brand-new game!

A. Yes. We will never sell our customers games with DRM and GOG.com is the one and only place to get The Witcher 2 without any form of DRM.

Do you know something about DRM at GOG that the rest of us don't know?

[quote name='gcorlett']I don't understand this statement. GOG claims no DRM on The Witcher 2.

Right in their FAQ:
Q. Is The Witcher 2 really going to be completely DRM free? It's a brand-new game!

A. Yes. We will never sell our customers games with DRM and GOG.com is the one and only place to get The Witcher 2 without any form of DRM.

Do you know something about DRM at GOG that the rest of us don't know?[/QUOTE]

(repaste)

[quote name='Pheace']
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witc..._patches/page1

-----------------------Below from the FAQ-----------------------------------
Registered users will also receive automatic notifications of updates via the game launcher. In
addition, this will be the only way to update the product – patches will not be available as separate
files, making it impossible to update illegal copies of the game in this manner.
-------------------------End Quote-----------------------------------------------

Currently, if you want any patches, you basically are forced to register, and download your patches through the launcher.

*later* they will provide a drm-free, patched option.

---------------------
GOG will be providing a fully updated master build of the game once the patching cycle has slowed down, so you won't need to register anything to get the patched game.
---------------------

Considering they're planning patches and DLC, there's a good chance this'll be a few years down the line.

Yes. You will, eventually, 'own' a DRM free copy *including patches* of the game. Until then however, you do not.[/quote]

Basically it's the same thing Stardock did with their games I believe. Release game is drm free but any patching support and features that come with that you have to be registered for. (sadly in Stardocks cased that ended up meaning halfcrippled games without the patches)

In the witcher 2's case for instance, they've already mentioned the game doesn't have native 16:10 support but it will be introduced in a later patch.

Thank you for that clarification, Phease.

Talk about parsing words. What they're offering certainly doesn't match up with the way they're advertising it.

[quote name='gcorlett']Thank you for that clarification, Phease.

Talk about parsing words. What they're offering certainly doesn't match up with the way they're advertising it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... it's a bit misleading since personally *do* think this is a form of DRM, even though basically, the release game itself *is* 100% drm-free.

However, it really depends on the release state of the game. If it has horrible bugs at whatever stage, a patch will be required, and then you're automatically required to use the, albeit light, drm.

In the long run however, you *will* own a 100% drm free *patched* copy, however not for the time being.

Who cares if you have to register to receive patches? That's not what most people consider DRM, nor is there any real downside to it.

[quote name='eastx']Who cares if you have to register to receive patches? That's not what most people consider DRM, nor is there any real downside to it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='wiki']Digital rights management (DRM) is a term for access control technologies that are used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders and individuals to limit the use of digital content and devices. The term is used to describe any technology that inhibits uses of digital content that is not desired or intended by the content provider.[/quote]

That's exactly what it is. A CD-key, account registrated limitation on your right to download patches so illegal copies can't be patched that way.

I'm not saying it's not an extremely easy drm to live with. It's perfectly fine imo, just like I'm perfectly fine with Steam as a form of DRM. But it is a form of DRM.

That said. A *true* 100% DRM-free copy of the game would not have come with a restriction on patching, but normal, downloadable patches that you can simply store on your own computer, like the copy of the game.

I guess the distinction would be that you have:
A) Unsupported (patches) 100% DRM-free game
B) Supported (patches) 100% DRM-free game

In my opinion, a true 100% DRM free game, also has no drm on it's patches.

That said. I don't care! I think it's fine this way, I think it's fine with the extremely light drm they're offering. I don't believe in a 100% drm free future (for newer games) anyway. But I don't agree it's not a form of DRM.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']So Steam does DAILY deals now.

Link

Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth commence. For our wallets.[/QUOTE]

glorious

Link

As if they weren't getting enough of my money before, lol :D

I hope The Longest Journey gets a sale sometime....

hell yea. hopefully we will see a nice variety of titles going on sale. even if i dont buy anything, it still makes me happy to see something on sale.

I check every day anyway. It's REALLY nice to know now that there will always be a reason. Of course, I need a ****-ton more money, but hey. :)

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Am I the only one who has around 50 games I still need to play but keep buying games anyways? Something tells me the answer is "no".[/QUOTE]

Hah, exact same here dude. Its becoming a problem!

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Am I the only one who has around 50 games I still need to play but keep buying games anyways? Something tells me the answer is "no".[/QUOTE]

absolutely not.

Link

That's it, who of us is with me on starting a class action lawsuit on behalf of our wallets?

I wish mine was only 50 games. I miss those days. My Steam game list is at 200+ and I've probably only played 1/4 of those.

The steam deals can be so crazy good sometimes, it's totally understandable. Especially if you hit those damn holiday packs.

Although this daily deal thing is going to be hazardous to all of us I can see. :lol:

[quote name='AbramJ23']i think its time for me to switch to pc gaming, too many deals im losing out on[/QUOTE]

Do it. Only keep my consoles around for console exclusives.

[quote name='AbramJ23']i think its time for me to switch to pc gaming, too many deals im losing out on[/QUOTE]

Trust me the initial investment will be more than a console, but in the end it will be way worth it. The crazy deals you will get on Steam sometimes is well worth it and also the fact that the modding community is still as strong as ever makes PC games that more enjoyable.

Link

To quote will farrell " sweet beard of moses!"

Oh man.. Daily deals every single day!
I love deals and I check Steam every day and always like to check out the current deal even if I don't buy it. It's like getting a present or something.

But now I have to contemplate if I want a game every single day? My life is over!
Also, I know I'll probably be checking Steam now every day even when I'm abroad on holiday.... god.

Any opinions on Flashpoint? I remember seeing some discussions, and was wondering if $5 was a good enough price to throw it in the backlog...

[quote name='justme99z']Any opinions on Flashpoint? I remember seeing some discussions, and was wondering if $5 was a good enough price to throw it in the backlog...[/QUOTE]

It's not too bad, but it's a lot more tactical then your Call of Duties. There are times when it can be kind of boring, but I think for 5 bucks, it was a nice change of pace.

[quote name='sp8001']Terreria looks awesome... I usually wait for a sale on indie games like this but the 4 pack price seems worth it. Still undecided.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth I've read they intend to raise the price of Terreria a couple weeks after release. Sort of like some inverse promo discount. No idea how much they'll raise it to whether it be $15 or $20. I'm on the fence since the Summer Sale is only five weeks away but I'd say if you can get in on a 4-pack and grab it for $7.50 then do it. After the increased price I'd be surprised to see the game ever drop below $5 in the next year or so.

[quote name='Mooby']For what it's worth I've read they intend to raise the price of Terreria a couple weeks after release. Sort of like some inverse promo discount. No idea how much they'll raise it to whether it be $15 or $20. I'm on the fence since the Summer Sale is only five weeks away but I'd say if you can get in on a 4-pack and grab it for $7.50 then do it. After the increased price I'd be surprised to see the game ever drop below $5 in the next year or so.[/QUOTE]

didnt they say the same thing about super meat boy? shit was $3.74 a month after release.

[quote name='paz9x']didnt they say the same thing about super meat boy? shit was $3.74 a month after release.[/QUOTE]

I don't know for certain but I don't think they ever said Meat Boy would actually see a price increase, merely that it wouldn't go on sale anytime soon and, yes, that was obviously a lie. Still, assuming they do raise the price to $20 that would only take it down to $5 after a 75% off discount. So it could be a case of you could either have it for $7.50 now in a four-pack versus $5 two months from now.

[quote name='Terlan']Any thoughts on Terreria? Me and my friend were looking for a new game to play and this seems interesting.[/QUOTE]

Friend of mine bought it and has been playing for the last few hours -- he said it's basically a 'Metroidvania' with exploration, item gathering, and building a la Minecraft.

[quote name='Mooby']For what it's worth I've read they intend to raise the price of Terreria a couple weeks after release. Sort of like some inverse promo discount. No idea how much they'll raise it to whether it be $15 or $20.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't expect them to raise it. Steam's usual procedure is to show such a situation as an XX% off sale for the first week of release, not just update the base price without warning. I think the idea that they were planning to raise the price comes from their wording in their FAQ before release, where they said the game "will cost $9.99 for at least it's first week of release", implying they were planning a sale for the first week.

But now it's listed as $9.99 regular price, and they've updated the FAQ to just read "Terraria costs $9.99 on Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back