Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
i already have ac1 from that farcry2/callofjuarez/rainbow6vegas2/ac1 pack they had a few months ago. still havent played it yet. ill wait to get ac2 when its cheaper: probably the christmas sale. what a waste of a day for me. tomorrow better be tom clancy day.

Excellent price for AC2, I got it on 360 on black friday last year and throughly enjoyed it. It's everything AC1 shoulda been, but I still like AC1. I'm still waiting on Brotherhood though, the price is most definitely not right.

[quote name='jkimrey']What about the first one? Think it'll go cheaper than $6.80 (perhaps during the summer sale)?[/QUOTE]

If it goes cheaper, I'd think it only got down to about $5. I don't think it'd go down to $2.50 (personal opinion), so you'd save a whopping $1.80. If you're going to play it soon, I'd go ahead and for for it. It's not a bad price.

[quote name='Shacknews (on the DRM)']Users on Reddit are reporting that the PC versions of Assassin's Creed II and Splinter Cell: Conviction, previously infected with Ubisoft's always-on DRM, no longer require a constant connection to the Internet to be played (via PC Gamer)

Now, the games will supposedly only check legitimacy over the Internet every time the game is launched, but can then be played offline. It's not quite hassle free, but it's certainly better than having to maintain a constant connection or suffer an interruption in gameplay, especially in singleplayer campaigns.[/quote]
Article link

So it seems that you'd need an internet connection to at least launch the game, but no longer need to maintain it. Still a pain in the ass, but I suppose is a lesser of two evils. Now I can go start the game and turn off my router and not have any problems, right? (But seriously, requiring the always-on connection is ridiculous.)

I'm thinking about grabbing the the second game for $10; the price isn't too bad, and the game has piqued my interest.

So it looks like a Ultimate Edition for the PC came out, bundling AC 1 and 2 for 20 dollars, but it's not on steam (yet?). Seeing as it's about 17 dollars for 1 and 2 here, the 66% off is less of a deal than I expected. I think I might wait a little longer

Anyone think AC2 will be on sale for at or under this price during the summer sale? I doubt I'd get to it before then, but if these deals are not likely to show up during the summer sale, I'll bite the bullet now.

I'd say there's a pretty good chance of seeing it on sale again. It's been on sale a number of times on Steam so far - just not this cheap.

While the original AC has been on sale a few times, AC 2 has only ever been on sale once before, during last years holiday sale. It was even $60 until November of last year.

[quote name='xvorticity']You can get these for less on Amazon digital services right now.

AC1
AC2[/QUOTE]

Nice, Gonna spend the 2 bucks and get AC2 on steam instead.

[quote name='Phasher99']Really? Not according to - http://www.steamgamesales.com/view-history.php?id=1336[/QUOTE]

Steamgamesales.com only dates back to the beginning of 2010. During the lead-up to AC2 in 2009, AC1 was on sale like every month, for $10 or less, including a $5 midweek madness sale on Steam in October 2009.

However, since AC2 was released and really improved the overall status of the AC brand, AC sales are much more rare. When AC came out, it was considered a flawed gem; now the AC games are triple-A status. At least, that's my take on why the sales are fewer and farther between.

I now regret not buying for $5 2 years ago. I am taking a pass on $6.80 today because I have about 2 years of game backlog :roll: and I expect to see AC again during major sales, maybe even a AC1 and AC2 bundle! Man that would really make the summer sale for me, now that I have a controller for my computer.

You can get older game sale history in Steam by clicking on "View Related News" on any one game store page.

I meant what he said in regards to "It was even $60 until November of last year." - which according to that site was not true?

Now back to the deals!

Daily Deal: NightSky 50% Off!

Ubiweek: All Tom Clancy Games 66% Off

YES. Splinter Cell here I come! Best collections for last lol

[quote name='JakeNome']...tomorrow better be tom clancy day.[/QUOTE]

wow, i did not think it was actually going to happen.:applause:
im gettin splinter cells and rainbow6vegas1. ill have to think about ghost recons

Gonna have to get the GRAW games I think. Heavily tempted by HAWX (the first one) hmm and maybe Vegas 2 even though I have it on a console.

Is the Ghost Recon collection worth it?

I have never played any of them before, so I don't know if they're just your regular generic shooter or if there is something special about them.

[quote name='Jokerkun890']Is the Ghost Recon collection worth it?

I have never played any of them before, so I don't know if they're just your regular generic shooter or if there is something special about them.[/QUOTE]

I have not played any of the pc versions, the 360 versions of graw were 3ps that I enjoyed, while the pc games are fps.

[quote name='Phasher99']I meant what he said in regards to "It was even $60 until November of last year." - which according to that site was not true?
[/QUOTE]

*click*
Right. Sorry about that. AC1 was never $60 for PC; that's pure fantasy.

Night Sky is actually on my "wish" list. But I have so much already on backlog.

Steam, you're teaching me to say "no!" :speaktothehand:

Think I'll get Conviction and Deniable Ops. If I remember correctly, there's no use in getting the Deluxe as all the bonus stuff either gets unlocked as you play or with U-Play points.

So I enjoy myself some splinter cell, but since I know I won't play them all (is it worth it?) I'm wondering, which ones are the best?

[quote name='Khamous']So I enjoy myself some splinter cell, but since I know I won't play them all (is it worth it?) I'm wondering, which ones are the best?[/QUOTE]

It depends. If you want slower and more thought out stealth gameplay, Chaos Theory is the best for that.

If you want more action to go along with your stealth, Conviction is the best one for that.

[quote name='Mike UFC']Think I'll get Conviction and Deniable Ops. If I remember correctly, there's no use in getting the Deluxe as all the bonus stuff either gets unlocked as you play or with U-Play points.[/QUOTE]

This is correct. Digital Deluxe is a joke.

Conviction is very little like Chaos Theory, which is one of my favorite games of all time, but Conviction is still VERY fun if you can do it on co-op and apart from that lousy Afghanistan level still has a decent campaign. I recommend nabbing the DLC too. Those are just maps for the side modes, no story to them, but they are great maps.

Still, everyone should buy Chaos Theory and Conviction. Great games. Problem is I think Conviction still has Ubi DRM.

[quote name='Phasher99']Really? Not according to - http://www.steamgamesales.com/view-history.php?id=1336[/QUOTE]
Hmm, seems like the price history was different in my region. Also, it went on sale in last years summer sale too, I stand corrected. That's only two times it has gone on sale since release though, excluding yesterdays sale. Well, I'm sure we'll see it even cheaper during the holidays and possibly the summer sale. I picked it up though.

[quote name='Jon7']It depends. If you want slower and more thought out stealth gameplay, Chaos Theory is the best for that.

If you want more action to go along with your stealth, Conviction is the best one for that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I shall get both then, I like both styles depending on my mood :p

Also, I've read Conviction has a co-op, is that online or local only? What's in the online?

ProTip: Search for Splinter Cell Conviction Elite Echelon Edition, since for some reason it doesn't show up on today's sale page.

[quote name='Khamous']
Also, I've read Conviction has a co-op, is that online or local only? What's in the online?[/QUOTE]

It's got online play.

Conviction has a seperate coop campaign that's completely different than the single player campaign. It also has Deniable ops which are different things like a survival mode, or Hunter mode where you try and kill enemies without being seen, and a competitive mode where you see who can get the most kills.

Chaos theory also has coop and competitive play btw.

[quote name='Jon7']It's got online play.

Conviction has a seperate coop campaign that's completely different than the single player campaign. It also has Deniable ops which are different things like a survival mode, or Hunter mode where you try and kill enemies without being seen, and a competitive mode where you see who can get the most kills.

Chaos theory also has coop and competitive play btw.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, got both, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions :D

As a fan of Company of Heroes, would I like End War? It looks like an interesting RTS game, but I wonder if it is any good.

Also, I only own Rainbow Six Vegas 2, but none of the others. Are the others worth playing? I never played the Ghost Recon games, so I don't know about those...

[quote name='helixfc3s']As a fan of Company of Heroes, would I like End War? It looks like an interesting RTS game, but I wonder if it is any good.

Also, I only own Rainbow Six Vegas 2, but none of the others. Are the others worth playing? I never played the Ghost Recon games, so I don't know about those...[/QUOTE]

I played it for like 4 hours 2 years ago on the 360 so I'm a little hazy, but it's more like World in Conflict. You do far less micro management, it's mostly about rock/paper/scissors combos and airstrikes/support etc. while capturing control points.

R6V1 is pretty much more of the same of RSV2. The earlier two are WAAAAAAAAAY different though. Much more pre mission planning.

The PC version may be different, many Tom Clancy games slightly differ on the PC.

Just in case anyone cares, I'll throw in my 2 cents about the SC series. One was awesome, Pandora Tomorrow was terribad (glad it's not even on Steam), 3 was decent. I've played them all very recently too, and while Chaos Theory was pretty good, I just felt the original was always the best. Have not played Double Agent. Conviction is great if you take it for what it is. It's more like an action movie than a spy movie. Lots of cover based combat, hiding behind surfaces and shooting baddies, but a fair amount of sneaking too. Much more streamlined and easier sneaking than its predecessors. Lots of fun gadgets are thrown in that make the game super easy though. I'd definitely give all of them a buy if you've got the interest, time, and cash.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just going to pass along something I found on a Rock, Paper, Shotgun discussion thread that some of you might find interesting, regarding the Ubisoft sale this week. The short and sweet of it is that you can have HOMM5 Complete from just buying HOMM5: TotE.

Dominic White says:
05/25/2011 at 14:30

Ah yes, I almost forgot – if you haven’t already got it, it might be a good time to snag Heroes of Might & Magic 5: Tribes of The East off Steam at the moment. It’s $6.66 at the moment, and it has two mods (of sorts) that make it a much better, more well rounded game.

The first, is the original two campaigns. Tribes of The East is the second expansion for HoMM5, but it’s a standalone game, too. Get these files: http://www.heroes-fr.com/en/original_campaigns.php – and you can play the original HoMM5 and Hammers of Fate campaigns in the upgraded ToTE engine. They don’t even behave like modded-in content. They just appear in the campaign menu as if they’d always meant to be there.

Secondly, a fan-patch which recently surfaced: http://www.bonddisc.com/ref/h5/
UI fixes, smarter AI and much better performance during CPU thinking cycles, especially on large maps. Get the Beta version from near the bottom of the page, as the current ‘stable’ build lacks native widescreen support.

In short, $6.66 gets you a bloody good, huge strategy-RPG with a bunch of improvements. It’s just a pity that Clash of Heroes (the Puzzle Quest-ish spinoff) isn’t coming to PC. Despite various internet tantrums over the cartoonish art-style, it’s a really, really good game.

Great info, thanks!

[quote name='darjeeling']I'm just going to pass along something I found on a Rock, Paper, Shotgun discussion thread that some of you might find interesting, regarding the Ubisoft sale this week. The short and sweet of it is that you can have HOMM5 Complete from just buying HOMM5: TotE.

Dominic White says:
05/25/2011 at 14:30

Ah yes, I almost forgot – if you haven’t already got it, it might be a good time to snag Heroes of Might & Magic 5: Tribes of The East off Steam at the moment. It’s $6.66 at the moment, and it has two mods (of sorts) that make it a much better, more well rounded game.

The first, is the original two campaigns. Tribes of The East is the second expansion for HoMM5, but it’s a standalone game, too. Get these files: http://www.heroes-fr.com/en/original_campaigns.php – and you can play the original HoMM5 and Hammers of Fate campaigns in the upgraded ToTE engine. They don’t even behave like modded-in content. They just appear in the campaign menu as if they’d always meant to be there.

Secondly, a fan-patch which recently surfaced: http://www.bonddisc.com/ref/h5/
UI fixes, smarter AI and much better performance during CPU thinking cycles, especially on large maps. Get the Beta version from near the bottom of the page, as the current ‘stable’ build lacks native widescreen support.

In short, $6.66 gets you a bloody good, huge strategy-RPG with a bunch of improvements. It’s just a pity that Clash of Heroes (the Puzzle Quest-ish spinoff) isn’t coming to PC. Despite various internet tantrums over the cartoonish art-style, it’s a really, really good game.

[/QUOTE]

I've never played a Tom Clancy game before...was interested in Splinter Cell years ago, but always had Metal Gear Solid instead. I picked up the Splinter Cell pack and both Vegas's.

I love games like ace combact & IL2 is HAWX worth the $6.75 or wait for under $5? Big backlog.....probably 200 hours or more

As for endwar, the story was very interesting(makes ya think of the crap hitting the fan is someone blew up the saudi pipeline for real) but plan on using a mouse because the voice. recognition has issues at least on PS3. Weither I yelled or whispered or changed tone it had issues. Sometime perfectly pronouncing words didn't work. if it wasn't just that version it seemed like for english voice recognition they must used a Larry the cable guy for half the sampling and a telemarketer from India for the other half. Saw a youtube vid of mouse use and it controlled MUCH easier and faster

Has anyone played H.A.W.X.? I heard the 2nd one is terrible but I wonder how the first one plays with a xbox controller (don't have a flight stick). Can anyone recommend it?

[quote name='Daykain']Has anyone played H.A.W.X.? I heard the 2nd one is terrible but I wonder how the first one plays with a xbox controller (don't have a flight stick). Can anyone recommend it?[/QUOTE]

The reviews hint tha the first is better single player and the second is so bent to multiplayer that its too hard if you want to play it alone which is what ruins it. But otherwise very similiar games. It was a 360 game and this is probably a console port so probably plays well.

[quote name='Daykain']Has anyone played H.A.W.X.? I heard the 2nd one is terrible but I wonder how the first one plays with a xbox controller (don't have a flight stick). Can anyone recommend it?[/QUOTE]

it recognized my wireless xbox controller just fine.
Plays great with it and it also worked with my old wingman joystick.
there were a few ppl playing online, but since I'm a noob at these type of games
I got completely destroyed.

The game is pretty arcadey and the radio chatter progresses the storyline,
don't expect too much out of it, but its fun never the less.

[quote name='dabamus']Dunno about Letdown, I mean Lockdown, but RvS Gold works on Windows Vista and 7.[/QUOTE]

I wanted Rouge Spear, but its seems Steam doesnt have it.

Im thinking gold might be worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back