Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Game_Dude_3']What's the word on playing the Splinter Cell games with a keyboard and mouse? Is it doable?[/QUOTE]They play great with mouse and keyboard, imo. The multiplayer when you are merc, it is helpful to have a mouse to aim quickly.

[quote name='paulcalypse']They play great with mouse and keyboard, imo. The multiplayer when you are merc, it is helpful to have a mouse to aim quickly.[/QUOTE]

That's good news! I was looking forward to the Splinter Cell pack all week. I love part one and CT, never played DA or Conviction. Might as well go for all four.

Splinter Cell on on KBAM is odd. The games rely heavily on having analog control over the speed of your character. Since you obviously can't get that, you toggle between pre-set speeds. I've never tried it myself, but I can't imagine doing it.

[quote name='paulcalypse']I can remember toggling the running/walking speed by scrolling up or down on the mouse wheel.[/QUOTE]

Yep, feels very odd but probably get accustomed to it quickly. I'm still debating on CT, I heard there are problems with LAN coop. I don't trust depending on online as Ubi's servers will probably be shut down in no time.

Thanks for the replies 6er and X-gouki. I am not looking for a sim as I am pretty terrible at flying games to begin with so arcade style is definite positive. Guess I am in for Splinter Cell conviction standard + DLC, H.A.W.X and R6V1 (already own R6V2).

Which Splinter Cell game is the best? I see a lot of people saying Chaos Theory but that's 5 years old now, whereas Conviction is just over a year old. I'm looking for something single player, not co-op or multiplayer.

HAWX1 is very good if you like the Ace Combat style of light, arcade flight sims. It's great fun. HAWX2 fails to improve on HAWX1 in any measurable way beyond a survival mode. I loved HAWX1 and HAWX2 was a giant disappointment. HAWX1 has no DRM, never had DRM. HAWX2 supposedly had Ubi DRM. Ubi DRM was removed from AC2 and Conviction. Don't know about HAWX2.

Chaos Theory co-op servers remain online to this day, strangely. EA would have killed them by now, but Ubi lets them run strong.

[quote name='fishphoenix']Which Splinter Cell game is the best? I see a lot of people saying Chaos Theory but that's 5 years old now, whereas Conviction is just over a year old. I'm looking for something single player, not co-op or multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Most people say that CT is the best one SOLELY because of the co-op, but as someone who only did single-player and played them recently, I can say that it's also the best single-player. (Disclaimer: I've only played the first three so far)

It is really hard deciding on pull the trigger on Splinter Cell collection, R6v1+2, and graw1+2. I have a lot of respect for them all and have owned all of them at some point but many I only played a bit before I forgot about them or never opened. I always intended to go back to them but if it hasn't happened yet it probably won't. Still the collector side of me wants to bite.

[quote name='Bayshun']Never any Pandora Tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Word is that there were a lot of issue with PT running on modern systems, glitches, bugs, lighting issues (which would be detrimental for this game), etc. Which begs the question as to why Double Agent is on Steam, as it has it's fair share of issues.

[quote name='AvidWriter']I got Vegas 1 and 2, for a little over $6 it seemed well worth it.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Already had V2 and love it...so I grabbed V1.

Also, in case you're running Win7 64, you may run into a simple start-up issue with V1...if you do, try this. It was posted in the Steam forums.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1826591

EDIT:

I couldn't help myself...so along with R6: Vegas 1 (already have Vegas 2), I bought R63: Raven Shield Gold Edition (how could I not for a measly $3.39?), and the Ghost Recon Complete Pack for $13.59 (which includes GR1, Desert Siege, Island Thunder, GRAW1, and GRAW2). Time to relive some old-school PC glory days! :D

Also, to those on the fence about Raven Shield Gold, it's probably the best of the last true R6 games. Not to mention that the long-awaited community mod Raven Shield 2.0 never legitimately received a Cease & Desist order from Ubi...it's now going to be available again, not to mention the mod team is working on new upgrades for it. Check it out because it's one of the best mod creations I've seen in a long time! Not to mention a bunch of other great mods for the game, both artistic and gameplay, even A.I. tweaks.

http://www.rvsgaming.com/

Here's a video to get an idea of some of the apparent changes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrmUhjHe-xg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ended up grabbing Chaos Theory. I was looking at the steam forums. Someone put it in a great way for me. He essentially said CT is the best game of the series and one of the longest and stays true to splinter cell. He said Conviction isn't bad but it's more like Arkham Asylum with guns rather than a splinter cell game. I love me some AA but I'm looking for splinter cell right now :p

[quote name='fishphoenix']Ended up grabbing Chaos Theory. I was looking at the steam forums. Someone put it in a great way for me. He essentially said CT is the best game of the series and one of the longest and stays true to splinter cell. He said Conviction isn't bad but it's more like Arkham Asylum with guns rather than a splinter cell game. I love me some AA but I'm looking for splinter cell right now :p[/QUOTE]

Arkham Asylum with guns is probably the best tl;dr for Conviction I've seen yet. It's definitely got that level of speed and pacing, and similar sorts of gadgets.

I absolutely have no self-control during these Steam sales...

Add Splinter Cell: Conviction Deluxe Edition & Insurgency Pack DLC to my collection.

So here's my total loot:

Splinter Cell: Conviction Deluxe Edition: $8.49
Splinter Cell: Conviction Insurgency Pack DLC: $3.39
Ghost Recon Complete Pack: $13.59
Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield Gold Edition: $3.39
Rainbow Six: Vegas: $3.39

Total = $32.25

Not bad considering there's a total of 9 full games in there. I just hope they don't have anything I want for Memorial Day later today. I really don't want to spend more money...seriously...really...

Once again Steam takes me by surprise and makes me buy stuff I didn't know I wanted. Grabbed original Splinter Cell and Chaos Theory (already have Conviction + DLC on 360, pretty fun).

Ok, now I'm aware of everything on my wishlist. I think. I hope.

So can I find games online in Vegas 1 and 2? I already beat story in both games on the 360 but I loved multiplayer, seems like a pretty good deal for $3 just to play online.

Note: The Splinter Cell Conviction Deluxe edition only unlocks items that you can otherwise obtain by playing the game. Save a couple of bucks unless you're the impatient type.

[quote name='hal']Note: The Splinter Cell Conviction Deluxe edition only unlocks items that you can otherwise obtain by playing the game. Save a couple of bucks unless you're the impatient type.[/QUOTE]

Well...this and the exclusive Shadow Armor, which looks so bad ass that it was worth the extra $1.70 for me. ;)

And I'm glad there's no major sale today...my wallet can rest at ease now.

[quote name='Vegan']Well, that's disappointing. No big blowout sale today?[/QUOTE]

They can't have a big "blowout" sale if all of their inventory is digital. ;)

But all kidding aside, I was kind of hoping something semi-epic from Steam. But I guess they're teaching us patience and wait for the much anticipated summer sales event (even if it's only speculations at the moment).

[quote name='jaredhenry13']Does anybody know if they are starting a new developer week today? Maybe they didn't do it yesterday because of the holiday.[/QUOTE]

They don't have a developer week every week.

[quote name='Pheace']Midweek is -75% off Cities XL 2011
[/QUOTE]

Tempting.. Has anyone played this? How does it compare to the Sim City games?

[quote name='Phasher99']Daily Deal - Dino D-Day 50% Off![/QUOTE]
Complete garbage, wait till it's 95% off and then it's only reasonably bad

In my experience, Steam doesn't do any American or other country-specific celebration/holiday deals.
There's no 4th of July sale and they call the christmas sale a "holiday" sale. Only exception I can think of are the thanksgiving sales, and even then I'm pretty sure Valve doesn't label them as such.

Oooohh! Cities XL 2011 for 10 euros. That looks interesting. Has anyone played it yet? Is it like Sim City only much much much better and prettier like I'm hoping?

[quote name='Therapy']Oooohh! Cities XL 2011 for 10 euros. That looks interesting. Has anyone played it yet? Is it like Sim City only much much much better and prettier like I'm hoping?[/QUOTE]

From what I hear the only thing it does better is the graphics.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Here's a Quick Look for Dino D-Day. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to regret passing on this one.[/QUOTE]

Is that someone falling through the floor at 6:30?

My husband was interested in Dino D-Day when it launched on Steam, but the abysmal ratings turned him away. Thank goodness we have a rating system to prevent us from spending money on garbage!

[quote name='KaOTiK']Steam just added Thief Deadly Shadows to Midweek Madness
$5 75% off[/QUOTE]

Totes worth it. Haven't finished yet, but the finest first person sneaker I've played yet.

Heres the Gamespot review for Thief: Deadly Shadows
[youtube]mE7GolM_gFc[/youtube]
Im amazed that its on sale today, since I just put it on my wishlist a few days ago.
anyone willing to buy it for me in exchange for Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2 Deathmatch, Half-Life 2 Episodes 1&2?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Totes worth it. Haven't finished yet, but the finest first person sneaker I've played yet.[/QUOTE]

Play the first and second Thief's then. The 3rd one is a turd next to them. Deadly Shadows is a good game, but considering the previous games in the series, it is a total stinker.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Play the first and second Thief's then. The 3rd one is a turd next to them. Deadly Shadows is a good game, but considering the previous games in the series, it is a total stinker.[/QUOTE]

QFT. The first two games are much better than the 3rd. Unfortunately, you can't play the first two on modern systems. Needs Windows 98 or XP, but not NT or 2000. Or 7, or Vista.

But the third game is not BAD ... it's just different, and easier. It does look better. but no rope arrows, and the levels got much smaller to accommodate the fact that it was released for the Xbox as well. (lots of loading screens). And it does have the "Robbing the Cradle" level, which might be the best of the entire series.

I have all three in their original packaging. :)

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Maybe an odd question, but can anyone tell me if local co-op is possible on the Steam version of Street Fighter IV?[/QUOTE]

Umm, no version of Street Fighter IV has co-op.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back