Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slofton']Hmmm.... On the fence about Magika. Any thoughts? Good single player game?[/QUOTE]

Got it last week. I have been playing it a lot since then. Crazy knowing that I have so many high profile games. Though I have been going through it co-op w/my son. Good game though.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']According to Steam, here's what it comes with:

Includes Knights of the Nine and the Shivering Isles expansions plus Fighter's Stronghold Expansion, Spell Tome Treasures, Vile Lair, Mehrune's Razor and much more.

I wondered the same thing but just went ahead and picked up the Deluxe version.

Also, try contacting Steam customer support about your situation. Perhaps they can cancel your order and put the credit toward the Deluxe. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I went ahead and did that. I hope they comply...it's not like I want my money back...just to give a little more ;)

[quote name='slofton']Hmmm.... On the fence about Magika. Any thoughts? Good single player game?[/QUOTE]

Same here, mainly looking to play it single player as well.

[quote name='Kaltic']About 39 minutes ago The Penny Arcade Precipice combo pack became 85% off for $1.80. In case anyone wanted to know.[/QUOTE]

I was just about to post this. Been waiting for this to go on sale for some time now.

Ok so this is my first steam seasonal sale. I still don't even have my gaming laptop yet. I really want the Valve pack. My question is that since the price for the Valve pack is not a daily deal is there a chance that it will be a daily deal and have a lower price? Since I am in no hurry should I wait until the last day of the summer sale and buy it then or is there a chance the price goes up?

[quote name='Kaltic']About 39 minutes ago The Penny Arcade Precipice combo pack became 85% off for $1.80. In case anyone wanted to know.[/QUOTE]
Thanks!

trying to decide whether or not to pick up Back to the Future...I really want it, but I am wondering if I should wait...decisions decisions...

KWW3w.png

Everyone relaxxxx. :cool: It ain't going anywhere anytime soon. ;)

[quote name='urmomlikesme']Ok so this is my first steam seasonal sale. I still don't even have my gaming laptop yet. I really want the Valve pack. My question is that since the price for the Valve pack is not a daily deal is there a chance that it will be a daily deal and have a lower price? Since I am in no hurry should I wait until the last day of the summer sale and buy it then or is there a chance the price goes up?[/QUOTE]

As a rule of thumb with major Steam sales: wait until the last day of the sale to see if what you wanted was offered as a daily before purchasing. I don't remember if past Steam sales event ever offered publisher game packs as daily deals, but it couldn't hurt to wait. Especially since you're in no hurry.

I love you.

[quote name='urmomlikesme']Ok so this is my first steam seasonal sale. I still don't even have my gaming laptop yet. I really want the Valve pack. My question is that since the price for the Valve pack is not a daily deal is there a chance that it will be a daily deal and have a lower price? Since I am in no hurry should I wait until the last day of the summer sale and buy it then or is there a chance the price goes up?[/QUOTE] what kind of gaming laptop are you getting? I got an Alienware M11x a few weeks ago. It's a beast.

[quote name='urmomlikesme']Ok so this is my first steam seasonal sale. I still don't even have my gaming laptop yet. I really want the Valve pack. My question is that since the price for the Valve pack is not a daily deal is there a chance that it will be a daily deal and have a lower price? Since I am in no hurry should I wait until the last day of the summer sale and buy it then or is there a chance the price goes up?[/QUOTE]

Yes. 90% of the time what you should do for Steam sales is go through the list of whats on sale and get an idea of what you want. Then on the last day of the sale if its not been a daily deal then buy.

At that price I can't pass it up.... Thanks dude!

My wallet is getting in to sad mode now.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Yes. 90% of the time what you should do for Steam sales is go through the list of whats on sale and get an idea of what you want. Then on the last day of the sale if its not been a daily deal then buy.[/QUOTE]

Unless it's The Witcher. Because that's the 10% of the time when the game was at an insane price and Atari realized it, advertised they were knocking xx% off every game in their listing, but jacked the price of The Witcher up above the advertised xx% off about TWO HOURS after the sale first started. Everyone cried out in horror when they realized that some had bought the game for far less than others. The Steam forums filled with angry customers who demanded their low-cost The Witcher. Crickets answered. Six months later, The Witcher was relisted for far less than even the originally "far less" price and only a select few, the Chosen, cared or even remembered the entire incident.

I think they were busy laughing somewhere while toasting half-drunk cans of pepsi they bought off ebay with all the money they made by that price jacking...

[quote name='VindictiveGnome']what kind of gaming laptop are you getting? I got an Alienware M11x a few weeks ago. It's a beast.[/QUOTE]

I have my heart set on a M14x. But my bank account doesn't support that decision lol. Did you get an the M11x R3 (latest version w/sandy bridge)? How do games run on that bad boy?

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Unless it's The Witcher. Because that's the 10% of the time when the game was at an insane price and Atari realized it, advertised they were knocking xx% off every game in their listing, but jacked the price of The Witcher up above the advertised xx% off about TWO HOURS after the sale first started. Everyone cried out in horror when they realized that some had bought the game for far less than others. The Steam forums filled with angry customers who demanded their low-cost The Witcher. Crickets answered. Six months later, The Witcher was relisted for far less than even the originally "far less" price and only a select few, the Chosen, cared or even remembered the entire incident.

I think they were busy laughing somewhere while toasting half-drunk cans of pepsi they bought off ebay with all the money they made by that price jacking...[/QUOTE]

/nod but thats why if its something you REALLY want or its cheap already then you buy fast. For instance I really wanted Borderlands when it first came out and with the 4 pack it was like $27 a pop. Later in the week it dropped to like $20 a pop, but I wanted the game so much I was more then happy to pay the extra $7 vs risking losing it. Not often that happens, but yep it does happen.

[quote name='urmomlikesme']I have my heart set on a M14x. But my bank account doesn't support that decision lol. Did you get an the M11x R3 (latest version w/sandy bridge)? How do games run on that bad boy?[/QUOTE] I got the R1 for $600 off the Dell outlet. It plays just about anything on medium/high settings. It struggles with newer games that are a few months old. It's a perfect a size and the battery life is amazing. I am thinking about selling it on ebay to get the R3 though. The R3 has a much better CPU, 500 series Nvidia card, and improved battery life. The R1 is worth every penny. It's an insanely powerful laptop. I love all the colors too!

Just noticed that Puzzle Agent 2 released today and comes with a free copy of Puzzle Agent. Not a great time to release with everyone focused on the summer sale!

this is mine....impossible to pass up at this price even if you have just a passing interest in these games.

[quote name='VindictiveGnome']I got the R1 for $600 off the Dell outlet. It plays just about anything on medium/high settings. It struggles with newer games that are a few months old. It's a perfect a size and the battery life is amazing. I am thinking about selling it on ebay to get the R3 though. The R3 has a much better CPU, 500 series Nvidia card, and improved battery life. The R1 is worth every penny. It's an insanely powerful laptop. I love all the colors too![/QUOTE]

Yeah I was thinking of getting an R1 because the price was too good for $600 but now with sandy bridge I feel like I would be buying dead tech. And the sandy bridge starts at ~$1000 and the M14x is only a couple hundred more. I will just have to wait and see what my wallet decides.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Vampires The Masquerade Bloodlines never goes on sale. Before the end of the sale would be a good time to buy it.[/QUOTE]

This is true. I don't think I remember ever seeing it on sale. It's an amazing game, but it is absolutely BROKEN. You MUST download the fan-made patch for this game.

Magicka is almost certainly going to be a daily deal sometime. Not only is it the kind of high profile thing that gets selected for this, it's been on sale pretty much everywhere for more than Steam's current 33% off.

Is it just me or is there a bunch of other stuff on sale too besides just the front page stuff? Several of my wishlist games are on sale like Plain Sight and Anomaly Warzone earth. By the way any recommendations on either?

Question for the people that either have MOH on Steam or consoles. Would it be better played on PC or consoles? How is the online community for both? I know I will be missing cheivements/trophies, but if it is funner on PC, gonna stick with PC

Bought:

Oblivion: Game of the Year Deluxe
Hydrophobia: Prophecy
The Maw
Moonbase Alpha
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Penny Arcade: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode One
Penny Arcade: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode Two
Peggle Extreme
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Terreria
Toki Tori
Zen Bound 2

Bought:

Oblivion: Game of the Year Deluxe
Hydrophobia: Prophecy
The Maw
Moonbase Alpha
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Penny Arcade: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode One
Penny Arcade: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode Two
Peggle Extreme
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Terreria
Toki Tori
Zen Bound 2

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Is it just me or is there a bunch of other stuff on sale too besides just the front page stuff? Several of my wishlist games are on sale like Plain Sight and Anomaly Warzone earth. By the way any recommendations on either?[/QUOTE]

Every day during the summer sale there will be DAILY deals. If there is a game you want and is discounted but has not been a DAILY deal yet, wait until the last day to buy it.

Example: NBA 2K11 is $13.39 right now during the summer sale. However, it may be picked as a DAILY deal during the event and be discounted even more. So, if you want NBA 2K11 your best bet is to wait to see if it becomes a daily deal. If it does not by the last day then just pick it up at $13.39.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Is it just me or is there a bunch of other stuff on sale too besides just the front page stuff? Several of my wishlist games are on sale like Plain Sight and Anomaly Warzone earth. By the way any recommendations on either?[/QUOTE]

It's a big steam sale most stuff ends up on sale during these. Anomaly does look sort of interesting, have to try the demo still.

Question about Steam Wallet.

I'm considering putting a sum of money in the Steam Wallet to reduce the risk of a fraud alert being tripped by my spendiness. When I have just a little bit left in there, how does it work? My next transaction is a combination payment using the remainder of the wallet plus my credit card?

Almost everything is on sale ranging from 25-75%, depending on the game's popularity/age. This is how Steam does a sale event. :cool: The ones featured on the front page are merely "daily deals" that are usually ridiculously cheap.

As for Anomaly, you can TotalBiscuit's impression of the game (in spoiler; I just hate taking up half of the page with the video link). Note that it's not so much as a review as it is more of a "first impression." Since he mostly does indie games, it gives you a good feel of how the games would be like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7C3iFg8A7s

Chewbacca's Abortion;8620001 said:
Copped a few good games, Terraria really confuses me however. :/ and Worms Reloaded is too pricey for a super sale.
Terraria confusing? o_o I'm quite curious as to which part(s) of the game you're confused about.

[quote name='Vegan']Question about Steam Wallet.

I'm considering putting a sum of money in the Steam Wallet to reduce the risk of a fraud alert being tripped by my spendiness. When I have just a little bit left in there, how does it work? My next transaction is a combination payment using the remainder of the wallet plus my credit card?[/QUOTE]
Yup! I have done this before.

[quote name='paulcalypse']Yup! I have done this before.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I didn't want to get into a Microsoft Points situation.

[quote name='Vegan']Mawsome Pack is totally worth $3. Use a 360 pad if you have one.[/QUOTE]

Cool ill give it a shot. I recall trying it briefly and it seemed ok but not worth its asking price(for a mega CAG like myself at least). So I guess with a rec and it being only $3 ill give it a shot.

[quote name='justme99z']So I grabbed the Titan Quest Demo and now I am hoping it is a daily deal soon...[/QUOTE]

It usually ends up on deep discount on all the DD sites around the same time. I'm guessing it will be featured at some point here or elsewhere.

Be aware, Test Drive Unlimited 2 isn't activating with the CD-Key provided by Steam. I've submitted a helpdesk ticket. Hopefully I'll get an answer soon.

I'm not the only one either. Head on over to the TDU2 forums and/or the Steam forums for more cases.

Finally Borderlands DLC is on sale! I got the full game during the winter sale and I was waiting for the Summer Sale in hopes that it would be cheap.

Quick question, which I'm sure has been answered previously.

For anything that isn't a daily deal, we should wait to buy it until the end of the sale, right? There's a chance that one of the items that aren't on a daily deal may be one, so that would be cheaper than the "current" sale pricing, right?

There's a few items that aren't on the daily sale list that I want, and those are the ones I should wait on, from what I've read previously. The daily sale items, those are the ones I should do before they expire.

[quote name='shrike4242']Quick question, which I'm sure has been answered previously.

For anything that isn't a daily deal, we should wait to buy it until the end of the sale, right? There's a chance that one of the items that aren't on a daily deal may be one, so that would be cheaper than the "current" sale pricing, right?

There's a few items that aren't on the daily sale list that I want, and those are the ones I should wait on, from what I've read previously. The daily sale items, those are the ones I should do before they expire.[/QUOTE]

Correct.

It's tempting to buy the games now, but I think I'm strong enough to wait it out until the last day.

[quote name='shrike4242']Quick question, which I'm sure has been answered previously.

There's a few items that aren't on the daily sale list that I want, and those are the ones I should wait on, from what I've read previously. The daily sale items, those are the ones I should do before they expire.[/QUOTE]

Right

the sale will only be once for each item, so if you see it on a daily sale then buy it. If it isn't one yet then wait until the last day just in case it makes a daily sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back