Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
a question. I have oblivion goty as a hard copy, but i'm considering the deluxe edition for the dlc. Any play the dlc, is it any good? if it is, to get the dlc, I need the deluxe copy, as I don't believe there are any other sanctioned methods of getting dlc these days either.

any advice?

Every day during the summer sale there will be DAILY deals. If there is a game you want and is discounted but has not been a DAILY deal yet, wait until the last day to buy it.

Example: NBA 2K11 is $13.39 right now during the summer sale. However, it may be picked as a DAILY deal during the event and be discounted even more. So, if you want NBA 2K11 your best bet is to wait to see if it becomes a daily deal. If it does not by the last day then just pick it up at $13.39.

As a side note, it is not uncommon for entire packs to become a daily deal. I believe the Id pack and the unreal pack are the usual candidates to come down, but there may be more hidden packs.

[quote name='shrike4242']Quick question, which I'm sure has been answered previously.

For anything that isn't a daily deal, we should wait to buy it until the end of the sale, right? There's a chance that one of the items that aren't on a daily deal may be one, so that would be cheaper than the "current" sale pricing, right?

There's a few items that aren't on the daily sale list that I want, and those are the ones I should wait on, from what I've read previously. The daily sale items, those are the ones I should do before they expire.[/QUOTE]

I think the ONLY exception to this for both summer and winter sales of years past has been The Witcher, where the price actually went up a bit during the last few days.

I'm really hoping for the THQ pack to come down a bit. I have quite a few of the games but if it hits 30 then it might be worth it just for homefront and the titans quest games.

Because I find this hilarious, about 50 minutes ago Supreme Ruler 2020 Gold's price apparently became -651%, thus jumping its price up to $74.99 (this is from steamgamesales.com). Apparently they ran out of keys and hey its a good way to make every ignore the title for a while so they can get keys back without much of a fuss.

Escaped today with minimal damage, Oblivion GOTY Deluxe and Bit.Trip Runner for $11. Never played Oblivion before, so I figured it would be a good time to play it with Skyrim coming out soon and maybe I'll be done in time to pick Skyrim up during the holiday sale. I'll probably pick up the Valve complete pack later on since I haven't played any of the games except Portal and some L4D on the 360, so $50 for Portal 2 + everything else is a pretty good deal.

$30 for the THQ pack would be awesome
Company of Heroes, Titan's quest, homefront, Metro, Darksiders, and all those Warhammers :O

But I don't want to shell $50 on it.
$10 for the Unreal Deal pack would be cool too.

I am definitely buying titans quest before the end as I absolutely love that game. I might also get the Serious Sam games, that's as close to bullet hell as you can get with a fps. Just going to wait and see if I get sales for them.

I really wish I hadn't bought the original PS1 versions of both Oddworlds on ebay a few years ago. They must have cost me $25 to have them shipped, and look, they're 84 cents each... =_=

I still say that everyone should go with the whole abe's pack for 5 bucks. Munche's odyssey is great and I hear strangers wrath is pretty great too, all 4 for just over 5 bucks is great. I will probably pick those up also.

[quote name='BREVITY']Thinking about:
Terreria
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]
I enjoyed Terraria quite a lot with a friend and we played it until we ran out of content which was around 20 hours (not big into the building aspect). Recettear was pretty fun for about 10 hours then it got a little too repetitive for me; 10 hours of enjoyment is pretty good for the price though.

[quote name='hal']Looks as if they've just added the (85% off) 2K Complete pack for $74.99.

That's a crapload of games.[/QUOTE]

Holy sheet, that's a lot of games... Still not worth 75 though lol.

What's so special about oddworld? I've never played them or even heard of them until they went on sale on steam. Is it worth the $5?

Can anyone comment on the Oblivion Deluxe edition? I played it on the 360 and thoroughly enjoyed it, but with a pretty big backlog, what's the argument for me to get it? I'm trying to talk myself into buying it, just to experience it again, and on the PC, but I'm having a hard time. So help push me into it, haha.

[quote name='CapnO']I have 2 bucks credit. I'm having a hard time deciding between these three games.

oddworld pack
toki tori
Penny Arcade[/QUOTE]

Oddworld. Those games are epic.

[quote name='BREVITY']Thinking about:
Terreria
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Terraria: I've put 100 hours into the game and compared to the people on the official forums that's nothing. It has a big community and if you're into co-op you can easily find a server to play on. Basicly you start with nothing but a sword, axe and pickaxe. Your goal is to progress through the game by upgrading your armor, weapons and tools. This is done through exploration of the different zones (3 separate underground zone, the above ground areas, the dungeon, floating islands and an underground jungle) as well as fighting monsters (a ton of regular monsters each zone having diverse monsters, 3 bosses and 1 mini boss). By exploring and fighting you gain different materials that can be used to craft better equipment and some vanity items. If you're into building you can do that but I personaly don't build much so i can't vouch for it. The game is constantly evolving through the free content updates, so far there have been 5. The last update included 50+ new items, added content to empty biomes and added more monsters. The updates usually come every 2 weeks so if you keep up with them you can easily get pulled back into the game.

The game is easily worth $10, however i would suggest holding off until the last day of the sale to see if it becomes a daily deal.

In fact Game Trailers posted a review of Terraria yesterday so if you want a more in depth review look there.

[quote name='scarhawk']$30 for the THQ pack would be awesome
Company of Heroes, Titan's quest, homefront, Metro, Darksiders, and all those Warhammers :O

But I don't want to shell $50 on it.
$10 for the Unreal Deal pack would be cool too.[/QUOTE]
if its anything like the last complete packs i think thats the price that gonna stay.

[quote name='CapnO']I have 2 bucks credit. I'm having a hard time deciding between these three games.

oddworld pack
toki tori
Penny Arcade[/QUOTE]

Try the demo on steam, and see for yourself

[quote name='blitztwn36']Can anyone comment on the Oblivion Deluxe edition? I played it on the 360 and thoroughly enjoyed it, but with a pretty big backlog, what's the argument for me to get it? I'm trying to talk myself into buying it, just to experience it again, and on the PC, but I'm having a hard time. So help push me into it, haha.[/QUOTE]

Mods

New content
Improved Visuals
Improved/Patched Quests
Balanced Gameplay

[quote name='Wompdevil']For those thinking about getting Stranger's Wrath on Steam instead of waiting for the PS3 HD remake, there is this bit of possible good news if true:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/28/strangers-wrath-hd-dev-will-look-to-bring-ps3-update-to-pc-fo/[/QUOTE]

wait, does that mean the CURRENT pc port is a buggy piece of garbage? because that's kind of what it sounds like in the article.

anyone have it already? i've had my eye on it for a while but i'd like to know how well it runs before pulling the trigger.

[quote name='jw430']Try the demo on steam, and see for yourself[/QUOTE]

I'm downloading team fortress right now at a snails pace.

[quote name='TerboNurd']Oddworld. Those games are epic.[/QUOTE]

Can't pass up 'epicness' for 2 bucks. Thanks for the persuasion.

I was about to purchase the THQ pack, but I realized it didn't include the old dawn of wars(arguably the better ones). Too bad, deal breaker for me... :(

As far as anyone can tell, are there any $5 Indie packs like they had during the Christmas sale? I've taken a look around, but I haven't been able to find any.

[quote name='hal']Looks as if they've just added the (85% off) 2K Complete pack for $74.99. That's a crapload of games.[/QUOTE]Yeah, especially with Duke 4ever in the mix, but I've already got 12 of the games and have zero interest in all that Civ stuff.

[quote name='CapnO']http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2573/?snr=1_4_4__13[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

So I guess there's only one pack out there right now. That's a little disappointing. The indie packs were some of my favorite offers during the Christmas sale. I was hoping that they'd do more during the Summer sale.

Perhaps they will later in the sale. Maybe they'll have a bunch of indie packs on July 4th (independence day, get it). Will have to wait & see.

[quote name='Ramun Flame']I was about to purchase the THQ pack, but I realized it didn't include the old dawn of wars(arguably the better ones). Too bad, deal breaker for me... :([/QUOTE]

Get them on amazon.com they are mega cheap

[quote name='TerboNurd']Why are people buying Recetter before it goes to a daily deal? Something I don't know?[/QUOTE]

Because it's today's deal

Also hated Borderlands. Magicka was a gimmick in search of a good game. Worthless in solo play.

Jamestown is amazing if you like the shootan games but will probably be a daily deal. I'll also join in beating the Reccetear drum.

Hey guys. Just wondering. I'm going to be in Canada for the weekend and was wondering if you guys know if I can still purchase games on steam while I'm there. An answer would be great!

Should be able to buy from the Steam website if nothing else. Steam may detect you're in Canuckistan though and charge you whatever fictional funny money the Canadians like to pretend is currency though

first day a bit lackluster, hoped they would have started with a bang. Not a bad deal for witcher 2 and borderlands goty though. Just would have liked to see more games on sale. Now we have to wait for the sale to end to know if a game we want will be on a daily sale. They need some more smaller bundles, same publisher bundles every sale.

on a side note the method of waiting for the daily deals has screwed me before when they pulled the first witcher off of the sale after having in part of the sale for hours.

[quote name='Vegan']You don't think today is a "bang"??[/QUOTE]

Not really. Usually the daily deals end up being where the bang is. I have not interest in buying any of the bundles and like I said you cant buy anything just on sale due to the fear it will be a daily deal.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Should be able to buy from the Steam website if nothing else. Steam may detect you're in Canuckistan though and charge you whatever fictional funny money the Canadians like to pretend is currency though[/QUOTE]

Ah. I see. Okay, thank you! If worse comes to worse, I'll just have a friend gift me the game haha.

All I want out of this is Mass Effect 1 and 2.

[quote name='kyrhon']Ah. I see. Okay, thank you! If worse comes to worse, I'll just have a friend gift me the game haha.

All I want out of this is Mass Effect 1 and 2.[/QUOTE]

you can buy just fine up here long as you have internet access.

gave in picked up recettear and need to get my sister to try it. Also the anomaly demo has won me over

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back