Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
So, wait...all I have to do is go off the grid for a day, and Torchlight goes on Sale for 3 dollars? Awesome. Now I don't have to buy it on Xbox on Tuesday.

I just purchased TorchLight on Steam, but I also own the XBLA version. PC version is better hands down, tons of mods. I only use the non-game breaking difficulty wise mods. GUI, larger Stash, Hi-Res textures. Their is one mod which adds something like 12-15 new classes, but some are wayyyyy over powered.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I had been boycotting Ubi games on PC because of the DRM, but if it really isn't part of the AC games anymore, I feel like I should at least consider them. I have AC2 & Brotherhood for :360: but haven't started them yet, so if they really do look a lot better on PC (and all that bonus stuff!), maybe it's worth trading up.[/QUOTE]

The "always on" DRM for AC2 has been scaled back; you won't get dumped if you lose your internet connection in-game, but you do have to be connected to start the game. I don't know how it is with Brotherhood.

It's still too much for me, the most I'm willing to tolerate is activation at installation (and even then I'll reject it if has ridiculous limits). Up to you if you want to go for it.

So far I have bought Just Cause 2, SpaceChem, Braid and Defense Grid. I'm pretty happy with my selections as I am still under $20 spent so far.

Really glad I played the demo of defense grid. I didn't think I'd like a tower defense game, but that was a blast. Well worth the the 3.50 I spent on it and the DLC.

Bought Men of War Assault Squad, anyone else check that out? How is it?

I really like Company of Heroes and apparently this game is tough as hell and I found that intriguing.

Any thought/opinions on Terraria? I've never been interested in Minecraft (it's most obvious comparison), but I'm kinda digging the 2D thing. I think I'm just gonna impulse buy it, preferably in a 4-pack, though I'll probably wait to see if it will go lower as a DOTD. Anyone picking it up? Already own it?

[quote name='unopepito06']Any thought/opinions on Terraria? I've never been interested in Minecraft (it's most obvious comparison), but I'm kinda digging the 2D thing. I think I'm just gonna impulse buy it, preferably in a 4-pack, though I'll probably wait to see if it will go lower as a DOTD. Anyone picking it up? Already own it?[/QUOTE]

It's fun if you don't cheat. I had fun with it for a while, then my friends I played with all decided to cheat and get high end gear so they did some high end bosses then stopped playing. I stopped too because I didn't have nearly as fun playing alone as I did with people.

hmm to pick up dragon age or wait till later already got it on ps3 and won't be playing it anytime soon most likely. still got the witcher to finish and possibly morrowwind or oblivion to start also started kotor. Think I'll wait.
on the other hand quite like SpaceChem and anomaly:warzone so far and will be picking up the defense grid dlc one way or another.

Picked up Tropico 3 Gold and Torchlight...and proceeded to play my Civ IV game from last year all day and still didn't finish,lol.

[quote name='wankerjr']Broke down and got Dragon Age Ultimate. I was waiting for it to hit $15 or lower so $10.20 was hard to pass up. Damn you Steam.[/QUOTE]

I'm about to lose my 2011 Summer Sale virginity to DAU. SHOULD I?

[quote name='kyrhon']I'm about to lose my 2011 Summer Sale virginity to DAU. SHOULD I?[/QUOTE]

It's a daily deal so I'd say grab it at this price unless you want to wait until the holiday sale when it will probably go on sale again.

[quote name='wankerjr']It's a daily deal so I'd say grab it at this price unless you want to wait until the holiday sale when it will probably go on sale again.[/QUOTE]

I lost it. ):

I highly recommend Defense Grid. I have put a ton of hours into that game, by far the best tower defense game I've played. It's really well balanced and the rewind system makes it easy to try different strategies.

Has anyone used up any of their prize tickets yet? Do you keep the original number of tickets for the grand prize drawing or do you lose them from the drawing if you redeem them? I only have 3 tickets so far, and planning on using them to get the Alien Breed 2: Assault game.

[quote name='deviousnaraku']Has anyone used up any of their prize tickets yet? Do you keep the original number of tickets for the grand prize drawing or do you lose them from the drawing if you redeem them? I only have 3 tickets so far, and planning on using them to get the Alien Breed 2: Assault game.[/QUOTE]

You keep the total for the drawing

Transformers: War for Cybertron reportedly support the 360 controller. Does anyone know if it supports rumble for the wired or wireless version?

[quote name='unopepito06']Any thought/opinions on Terraria? I've never been interested in Minecraft (it's most obvious comparison), but I'm kinda digging the 2D thing. I think I'm just gonna impulse buy it, preferably in a 4-pack, though I'll probably wait to see if it will go lower as a DOTD. Anyone picking it up? Already own it?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='fishphoenix']It's fun if you don't cheat. I had fun with it for a while, then my friends I played with all decided to cheat and get high end gear so they did some high end bosses then stopped playing. I stopped too because I didn't have nearly as fun playing alone as I did with people.[/QUOTE]

Just got the game myself as a gift. Its a pretty fun game, Im still new at it though. If your down for some multiplayer im on steam as TFSPIKE , i wouldn't mind playing some multiplayer

Uhm guys I have a problem here...

I'm logged into my account but somehow it's not connected so I cannot buy anything. When I try to relogin I keep getting the message "please verify your humanity by re-entering the characters below".

The problem is: I can't see anything to re-enter. Not the code I'm probably supposed to type in nor the box it has to go in. Anyone else had this problem? It's extremely annoying.

[quote name='Therapy']Uhm guys I have a problem here...

I'm logged into my account but somehow it's not connected so I cannot buy anything. When I try to relogin I keep getting the message "please verify your humanity by re-entering the characters below".

The problem is: I can't see anything to re-enter. Not the code I'm probably supposed to type in nor the box it has to go in. Anyone else had this problem? It's extremely annoying.[/QUOTE]

I'm having the exact same problem. I can log into my support account but not my steam account. Also all of my library headings are missing and everything is just clumped together.

Edit: Hopefully it's just a system wide problem that will be fixed soon. The community page doesn't seem to be working either.

[quote name='mietha']I'm having the exact same problem. I can log into my support account but not my steam account. Also all of my library headings are missing and everything is just clumped together.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, steam is messed up right now. They're talking about it over at the steam forums and the steam employees have replied they are aware of it and are working on it. No ETA on when it'll be fixed.

Oh this is great... I was googling and read something about deleting a file called "Clientregistry.blob" which I did. Now steam doesn't work at all anymore :( gahh!

Uninstalling and re-installing... getting all kinds of errors.

*edit*

Got it to work again but I have to re-download all my frigging games. THANKS STEAM

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Therapy']Oh this is great... I was googling and read something about deleting a file called "Clientregistry.blob" which I did. Now steam doesn't work at all anymore :( gahh!

Uninstalling and re-installing... getting all kinds of errors. fuck[/QUOTE]

I think you're ok. Steam is down right now so you can't download any new files to replace your "Clientregistry.blob". Just wait until steam is fixed and you should be ok.

In the future, if you're not sure what you're doing, I suggest you just move the files to a different folder instead of deleting them permanently, just in case...

[quote name='ryogahibiki']I think you're ok. Steam is down right now so you can't download any new files to replace your "Clientregistry.blob". Just wait until steam is fixed and you should be ok.

In the future, if you're not sure what you're doing, I suggest you just move the files to a different folder instead of deleting them permanently, just in case...[/QUOTE]

Yeah it seems fine now... well next time I'll force myself not to rush into all kinds of extreme measures to try and fix stuff... lol. I was kind of worried because just now when I reinstalled steam and tried to log in, it told me that I was logging in from a new computer and sent me a verification mail I did not receive :p so I psyched out.

Luckily, logging in for a second time did get me a mail and now I'm back online. I just need to redownload all my stuff :hot: not cool.

I was having the same problem when I tried to buy a couple of things about half an hour ago. I just tried again and it went through so hopefully things are back to normal now.

[quote name='Therapy']Yeah it seems fine now... well next time I'll force myself not to rush into all kinds of extreme measures to try and fix stuff... lol. I was kind of worried because just now when I reinstalled steam and tried to log in, it told me that I was logging in from a new computer and sent me a verification mail I did not receive :p so I psyched out.

Luckily, logging in for a second time did get me a mail and now I'm back online. I just need to redownload all my stuff :hot: not cool.[/QUOTE]

yeah, steam looks like it's back up again.

I've deleted my "Clientregistry.blob" before too and steam just download a new version of the "blob". But I've never had to re-download all my games before. That seems very strange. If you've got multiple accounts, make sure you're logged into the correct one.

Also try verifying the game caches of your missing games. Sometimes this finds corrupted game files and you just need to re-download those individual files.

[quote name='ryogahibiki']yeah, steam looks like it's back up again.

I've deleted my "Clientregistry.blob" before too and steam just download a new version of the "blob". But I've never had to re-download all my games before. That seems very strange. If you've got multiple accounts, make sure you're logged into the correct one.

Also try verifying the game caches of your missing games. Sometimes this finds corrupted game files and you just need to re-download those individual files.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip, but it's all gone. Probably because I uninstalled the steam client. I can't find any game files and a huge amount of space came free on my HDD so I guess I'm stuck downloading for the rest of this week... lol. Luckily I still have the savegames of most games though. I'd rage if I would have lost those too.

[quote name='Phrozenx']So whats the cheapest you guys think Portal 2 wil go for? $25?[/QUOTE]

I skipped out on picking up all of Half-Life 2 thinking I'd get the valve pack, but if Portal 2 drops to $25, I'd be all over it.

so, if a game is not on sale, it won't hit a daily sale either, right? There's quite a few EA things I've been waiting for, but none of them are on general sale at this point. :p

[quote name='momouchi']I skipped out on picking up all of Half-Life 2 thinking I'd get the valve pack, but if Portal 2 drops to $25, I'd be all over it.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't the Valve pack come with Portal 2? $50 if I didn't have a single Valve game I think I might've been all over that. :p

[quote name='daroga']so, if a game is not on sale, it won't hit a daily sale either, right? There's quite a few EA things I've been waiting for, but none of them are on general sale at this point. :p[/QUOTE]

EA and Steam don't like each other.

[quote name='utopianmachine']EA and Steam don't like each other.[/QUOTE]
Unless it comes to daily deals, which apparently are the time EA and Steam do like each other.

Noob question i know, but If i am at work can i purchase a game on sale and then when I get home download it?

Really want Torchlight for $2.99

[quote name='Slappybob']Noob question i know, but If i am at work can i purchase a game on sale and then when I get home download it?

Really want Torchlight for $2.99[/QUOTE]

Yes, just log into your account at steampowered.com and buy it. When you get home you can download it then play. I've done this plenty of times.

I just bought Torchlight and I'm looking for mods. But googling gets me all kinds of different stuff... it's overwhelming!

I'm looking for the most recent version of Torchleech. It's supposed to be a little program that manages mods easily right?

I'm also looking for the most recent textures enhancement pack. I find all kinds of different versions I just want the newest one.

Anyone here that can help me with this, please? :)

[quote name='scarhawk']Still under $15.
It's not a good sale, unless you're begging for the sales to stop :p[/QUOTE]
In that case:
Make-It-Stop.jpg
Ha ha... but seriously, I'm dying here. It's my first Steam sale, so... yeah. Lots of buying.

[quote name='daroga']so, if a game is not on sale, it won't hit a daily sale either, right? There's quite a few EA things I've been waiting for, but none of them are on general sale at this point. :p[/QUOTE]
Just the opposite: Medal of Honor, BF:BC2, DA:O, Witcher 2, and maybe even others all normally have no discount but showed up as daily discounts. I'd expect that trend to continue.

What is everyone's thoughts on Assassin's Creed Collector Pack? I know Brotherhood includes the deluxe version from what I hear. Will these games be cheaper in winter sale than what they are in the pack today? I'm assuming they would have a new more expensive pack in the winter that includes Revelations...

This is so confusing! The only thing new to me will be the download content in II and Brotherhood, but all of them what I have played was so great on console that I want them all on PC! My backlog is huge so I don't see getting to play them anytime soon - hence the question on waiting.

Thanks for the help!

[quote name='jester55'] My backlog is huge so I don't see getting to play them anytime soon - hence the question on waiting.[/QUOTE]

Generally, the feeling is that unless you plan to play it in the near future (in this case, about six months), games will generally always be cheaper down the road.

[quote name='Therapy']I just bought Torchlight and I'm looking for mods. But googling gets me all kinds of different stuff... it's overwhelming!

I'm looking for the most recent version of Torchleech. It's supposed to be a little program that manages mods easily right?

I'm also looking for the most recent textures enhancement pack. I find all kinds of different versions I just want the newest one.

Anyone here that can help me with this, please? :)[/QUOTE]

Normally, http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/downloads.php/ would be the best place to go to, but if you check that link you'll find that the site went down as of today, July 4th, from the overload of the $3 steam sales. Once back up, it'll have most/all the mods you want. :)

[quote name='utopianmachine']Generally, the feeling is that unless you plan to play it in the near future (in this case, about six months), games will generally always be cheaper down the road.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm thinking that 1 & 2 could be around the $5 range @ winter sale and Brother hood could be around $10-$15. My main thing is I want the deluxe versions of all of them at a decent price. That's where the confusion lies - how low will the deluxe versions go?

Thanks for response!

[quote name='jester55']Yeah, I'm thinking that 1 & 2 could be around the $5 range @ winter sale and Brother hood could be around $10-$15. My main thing is I want the deluxe versions of all of them at a decent price. That's where the confusion lies - how low will the deluxe versions go?

Thanks for response![/QUOTE]
I'm not sure if there's still a "standard" version of Assassin's Creed 2 offered on Steam; the only one I've seen is the deluxe version. Assassin's Creed 1 has always been the "Deluxe" director's cut on PC as well. The only one that has two different versions right now is Brotherhood.

I'm in the same boat, debating furiously whether to bite or not. It works out to be something like $13 for the deluxe version of Brotherhood in the pack (given you figure the other two are the normal sale price of $6 and change each.) That's mighty tempting.

I picked up defense grid and used the 3 tickets to save a buck and get the extra maps. Tower defense games always keep me entertained for a few days, and this one gets good reviews, and the sales ends in an hour and a half, so what the heck. $2.50 for a couple days of entertainment is cheaper than going to a movie :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back