Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']I've had it in my wishlist for quite a while, and I've yet to see it drop below that price (Steamgamesales.com verifies this). It's a shame since I want it, but that's not the kind of money I want to pay for an older game.[/QUOTE]

This. Unless it somehow goes lower as a packaged daily deal or something, once again I'll put this off until the next Steam sale.

[quote name='Isurus']I bought the original for 49.99 and beat the game years ago. It's a good game, but come on, these prices are not the best they could do. The last expansion came out in August 2007 according to wikipedia.

I'm reluctant to spend half of what it costs to buy a new game on something so old, despite how good it may be. Other great games are much cheaper and much newer.[/QUOTE]
If it was a singleplayer game then yeah they should go lower, but you have to factor in the cost it's a free sub for a game. They still need to support the server costs and the updating of the game and such.

[quote name='nightmare452']In for S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky which was the only game I was missing from that series.[/QUOTE]
I might also note that I don't think it received a discount in the last sale when the others were on a daily deal.

[quote name='paulcalypse']I might also note that I don't think it received a discount in the last sale when the others were on a daily deal.[/QUOTE]

I believe it was because of it having a different publisher or something.

[quote name='SamusXtreme']Less PvP, not worse PvP. The PvP's great, you're just limited to arenas, faction battles, and guild battles.
[/QUOTE]

I guess I don't see how that means less PvP. The game was developed around PvP. It just doesn't have open world PvP but considering that almost everything in the game is instanced it isn't a surprise. I would say that is more PvP personally.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Bought Monday Night Combat, S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky, and COD4. Wasn't planning to get COD4 at all, until I saw this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dToRs1Jmg08

Star Wars COD. I can't resist such a combination.[/QUOTE]

*ehem* See now this is a problem. I was all like "Yay! My wallet is safe today!" Then you had to go and drop your Death Star on my party.

I wonder if I can sell my xbox copy and break even...

In for Beat Hazard. I keep hearing great things about it and I love stuff that uses your music.

Also, I hate to bite before the end of the sale, but I might have be somewhere without wifi, so I also grabbed Terraria, the Longest Journey & Dreamfall, Windosill, the Oddboxx, and the Wonderful End of the World. And I also got the Longest Journey & Dreamfall for a friend of mine who really wanted them.

The only other thing I've bought this entire sale was Braid. I've been trying hard not to add too much more to my backlog lol

thinking about getting MNC but I only want to play with my brother. How is the game with just 2 players? are there bots? Going to be on an airplane for awhile next month, would this game be good for just us 2 players?

[quote name='Angel.9 Rakou Cobra']In for Beat Hazard. I keep hearing great things about it and I love stuff that uses your music.
[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I've been meaning to pick this up for a while actually, so this seemed like as good of a excuse as any. :)

To anyone on the fence, I can't recommend Beat Hazard enough. It is definitely the best twin stick shooter I've ever played, and it has seen multiple free content updates since its release. I've been waiting to see if the new dlc (Beat Hazard Ultra) was going to be included in a daily deal, and here it is for 1.24. The complete pack is an amazing deal for this game and the expansion. Get it and thank me later.

[quote name='Terlan']I would say skip Foreign Legion, I didn't find it that fun and it has a lot of issues of crashing and or freezing up on me.[/QUOTE] I bought this game awhile ago for $2.50. That's way too much for this game. It's pretty boring. I just redownloaded it this morning to get the ticket. It kept crashing after the objective was destroyed. I'm done with it whether I get the ticket or not. Stay away.

[quote name='Xealot42']Quick...someone talk me out of buying And Yet It Moves and Nation Red![/QUOTE]

I'm about to give AYIM a play right now for the achievement, so I'll let you know ;)

[quote name='lassiterb']To anyone on the fence, I can't recommend Beat Hazard enough. It is definitely the best twin stick shooter I've ever played, and it has seen multiple free content updates since its release. I've been waiting to see if the new dlc (Beat Hazard Ultra) was going to be included in a daily deal, and here it is for 1.24. The complete pack is an amazing deal for this game and the expansion. Get it and thank me later.[/QUOTE]

What he said. People, if you don't own this game, shame on you. It's pure bliss if you have a good music collection.

[quote name='BGriffith']Thoughts on Foreign Legion?[/QUOTE]

I bought it a while back on a whim when it was on sale, and it really hasn't won me over. It could be it's just not my style of game.

[quote name='Xealot42']Quick...someone talk me out of buying And Yet It Moves and Nation Red![/QUOTE]

Don't do it. You have your whole life ahead of you. :D

Torn between picking up:

Beat Hazard Complete
AI War: Alien Bundle
The Secret of Monkey Island
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
Guild Wars Trilogy
Civilation 5 DLC

Any pointers?

And Yet It Moves is an entertaining, though maybe too simplistic, game. If you like the demo, you'd probably like the full game, it all kind of revolves around the same concept.

Its fairly short as well. At $2.50 I'd wait.

Edit: Unintended puns. :(

[quote name='lassiterb']To anyone on the fence, I can't recommend Beat Hazard enough. It is definitely the best twin stick shooter I've ever played, and it has seen multiple free content updates since its release. I've been waiting to see if the new dlc (Beat Hazard Ultra) was going to be included in a daily deal, and here it is for 1.24. The complete pack is an amazing deal for this game and the expansion. Get it and thank me later.[/QUOTE]

I was not a fan of Beat Hazard myself. Found it pretty boring and just a simple shooter with sensory overload.

[quote name='Bonobos']Anybody missed Magicka in the last daily deals? I found it for $3.39 in Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Seems to be $6.69 for me.

[quote name='aus_nacht']Has anyone played Nation Red? It looks interesting.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Nation Red is very good. It is Smash TV + Crimsonland. Tons of modes, tons of guns, tons of perks, and tons of zombies. The developer has been excellent in supporting the game... and all for free. What CAG can't appreciate that? :)

[quote name='Antibody'], but I try not to spend more than $10 on games I'm unsure of and decent looking racers don't go below that very often. I recall reading some mediocre reviews of it, but I really want something that will satisfy my racing itch. Oh, and I don't care if it isn't a game appealing to the steering-wheel-accessory buying crowd, I just want a decent racer.[/QUOTE]
Tried GRiD or DiRT 2?

Just bought Nation Red. It reminds me a lot of flash zombie killing games with better graphics. It's very much like smash TV, mindless killing of enemy swarms. I love this style of game but I realize it's not for everyone.

Got Guild Wars Trilogy. First purchase over $7.50 and I have over 65 games lol. Backlog should keep me busy until the holiday sale (just started Morrowind and Oblivion, installing GW now), unless there's stuff I can't live without at $3 or less for the rest of the sale.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I was not a fan of Beat Hazard myself. Found it pretty boring and just a simple shooter with sensory overload.[/QUOTE]

I pity your cold, shriveled heart :lol:

[quote name='Blade3D']What order would yall recommend the STALKER games in?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it's:

Shadow of Chernobyl
Clear Sky
Call of Pripyat

Though Clear Sky is actually a prequel to SoC. Still, I've heard folks recommend you play them in the order they were released.

Beat Hazard is indeed a fantastic game I've spent countless hours with. It's great if you have a huge mp3 collection in various folders. The stats and achievements leave much reward to the player. I got it for $0.99 in an indie pack of 5 games for 5 bucks, but even the current price is recommended if you love music and games that keep you on edge. Best damn music-influenced gameplay I've played out of all of the music-influenced games. The intensity of the music determines various aspects of the game so be careful with the really intense techno, dubstep, or hardcore metal at first lol

[quote name='Bonobos']You can still get Civ V from Amazon its $16.96 and you can register the key in Steam.
Ironic isn't it? 1 game, both with Steam DRM, but you can find it cheaper outside Steam :D

Edit: I think GG gonna give us sale tomorrow, finger crossed.[/QUOTE]
Do it! Good find!.
eusa_clap.gif

A little bit of Devil's Advocate here. I'm thinking about getting Civ V, but they have a "PC Download" at Amazon for $19.99, undercuts the price by $5.

Can I activate that key with Steam? (Looks like I can)

... and if I do, will it give me the "Steamplay PC + Mac" addition to it as opposed to just a PC download?

Thanks!

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Got Guild Wars Trilogy. First purchase over $7.50 and I have over 65 games lol. Backlog should keep me busy until the holiday sale (just started Morrowind and Oblivion, installing GW now), unless there's stuff I can't live without at $3 or less for the rest of the sale.[/QUOTE]

My suggestion: if you're an MMO veteran, you may want to skip the Prophecies campaign (the first GW campaign) and jump into Factions or Nightfall. I personally thought the Prophecies campaign are a bit "slow" in its pacing. Perhaps it was meant to ease newcomers of the series into the game franchise. Since each campaigns are, more or less, its own separate story, you won't be missing much. But if you're interested in the complete lore of GW (quite a story, it is), you're always welcomed to travel back to the Prophecies campaign (even if you created the character from another campaign) and do the quest line there.

And as for Eye of the North, it's a shame it isn't lower. I've seen it sold regularly on Amazon or Newegg (often with free standard shipping) for around $7.50 or less. Since GW is an MMO, it doesn't matter where you purchase the game, as it is all tied to your account when you make one. And as for the story in Eye of the North, it acts as a bridge between the Prophecies campaign and Guild Wars 2.

[quote name='jatan11t']Seems to be $6.69 for me.[/QUOTE]

Wow...that was fast! it seem they already put it back to 33% off :)

[quote name='sav2880']A little bit of Devil's Advocate here. I'm thinking about getting Civ V, but they have a "PC Download" at Amazon for $19.99, undercuts the price by $5.

Can I activate that key with Steam? (Looks like I can)

... and if I do, will it give me the "Steamplay PC + Mac" addition to it as opposed to just a PC download?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Damn, the price went up again. I found it cheaper just few hour ago.
Yup, you can activate the key in Steam. And since its already STEAMPLAY so you can download the Mac version for free.

[quote name='Rehykja']Haven't played them, but I've read they're kind of like the Total War games. For $4.50 I think I'm going to jump on that train.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1975716[/QUOTE]

I would place it as a poor Total War game. Still decent and worth the $4.50 if you ask me, but it paled in comparison to just playing a total war game. I will say if you are craving for more Total War style gameplay or if you felt it needed a bit of RPG added definitely pick it up, otherwise you might be better off picking up Medieval Total War 2 or something on the cheap.

Darn, why didn't they Combo the Stalker series? Is it one of those games where if you only have the first one on sale, you grab your ear and rip your whole face off your skull like cheese on pizza - in fury - for not getting the whole set? :D remember, like cheese on pizza.

Building a Steam backlog is the same thing as investing in your retirement. Just picked up:

Guild Wars Trilogy
Beat Hazard Ultra
Deus EX: Game of the Year Edition
AI War: Alien Bundle
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back