Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rcx4']Hi all! Is Monday Night Combat worth the purchase?[/QUOTE]

I just picked it up today and it is a lot of fun.

Easily worth 3.75, I'd have paid 10 for it (but the CAG in me is glad I didn't ;) )

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Definitely getting Deus Ex Collection, STALKER games, and Beat Hazard. Debating on Wings of Prey (once the demo finishes downloading) and AI Wars. Thoughts on either game?

Steam really should at least get live chat support like Origin, though, as that was pretty painless and quick to use. Customer support is one area that seems to be pretty notoriously bad and slow with Steam from everything I've read, but I've thankfully thus far not needed any support.[/QUOTE]

Steam support is fine, for simple issues you'll usually get a reply within 12 hours. Billing issues will take longer.

Debating on whether or not to get King Arthur Complete. I really like that lore and love the game art. I've never played the Total War games though (which this seems to get compared to a lot) and don't want to risk buying it and finding out it's not for me. I'd play the demo but I have to work tonight and usually come home and crash right away. Can anyway sway me either way?

I like Beat Hazard but I can't play a song more than once. If I fail, I'll just move onto another song. I got real sick of "playing" the same song over and over again to try and beat it. Especially if you die halfway through and have to listen to the first half of the song again. Ruins all your favorite songs. Audiosurf had the same problem. Thankfully, there's a chill out mode in Beat Hazard where you don't have to worry about dying and restarting. Downside is you don't advance in rank, but that makes sense.

[quote name='Blade3D']Appears Poker Night at the Inventory got a new achievement as well

Summer of '69

Win a hand with a 6 card and a 9 card of any suit.

[/QUOTE]
Which I just achieved. Super easy.

Grabbed the two Stalker add ons for just over $6. Not bad! I still haven't played the original yet, and I bought it during the last Winter Sale lol.

Ugh, god damn it, Clear Sky uses TAGES. I'm trying to avoid installing Starforce, TAGES, et al to my computer. Going to have to really think about that now.

[quote name='gotdott']Steam support is fine, for simple issues you'll usually get a reply within 12 hours. Billing issues will take longer.[/QUOTE]
Alright, that's not too bad I suppose. Could always be worse.

Bought Beat Hazard earlier today after reading all the good comments about the game, and I'm glad I did. It's horribly addictive, but awesome in every possible way!

[quote name='United_Korea']are the deus ex games still worth playing today? how do the visuals and the gameplay hold up?[/QUOTE]

Check out this post. I just bought Deus Ex today too. Followed this guide and it looks great now!

Game goes from looking like: http://tof.canardpc.com/view/faa790e3-fe39-4715-9570-7f8819269c4c.jpg

to: http://tof.canardpc.com/view/ccf62328-1b42-48e3-9461-e66cf926bba6.jpg

At the end, the game looks like this even on my laptop from 2007: http://tof.canardpc.com/view/abf496e6-ba4e-4a68-a6a4-dee917b7159c.jpg

Worth the $2.50, the game looks amazing after these updates.

Anyone know if you can gift King Arthur if you already own the main game? The complete pack is a better deal and I could gift the main game to my dad.

[quote name='Xealot42']Is it just me or is that Nation Red summer achievement pretty tough?[/QUOTE]

Took me about an hour to unlock. After trying multiple times to get 12 gernades, I finally got lucky. Seems like gernade drops are pretty rare. The game is totally worth the three bucks though.

[quote name='Xealot42']Is it just me or is that Nation Red summer achievement pretty tough?[/QUOTE]

Took me a couple of tries lol but it's not really that hard. I've had the game for nearly a year though. How long have you had the game?

For anyone who didn't pick it up a few weeks ago when it was on sale, or already on the summer sale, Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! double pack is $1.24.

I finished the first, and started the second, and I will say if you like point and click adventures at all, or just super funny dialogues, these games will easily be worth your time and money.

It's luck based depending on whether you get grenade drops. Just set the difficulty slider on easy so you won't have any problems if it takes a while before some drop.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']If you're going to get stalker, just get the latest one. No real sense in trying to play through the previous titles, especially if you have a backlog of older games like Deus ex you're never going to play. Stalker is more about the world then the story.[/QUOTE]
Hey I played mine (kiddy tone of voice). Well for about 20 min and then found the graphics too damn old. but I got both for $2 hah, need to just try the one with better graphics. Like I can handle GTAIII graphics, but the spoils of these newer games with such eye candy (sexual eye candy too) are raising that bar of tolerance for older graphics lol. Still, isometric RTS games hold a much higher tolerance for older graphics in my book too tho. Like Diablo 2 or Fallout 1.

[quote name='Indignate']From what I understand, Valve games are the only games that let you do that. You won't get a gift copy of King Arthur.

Edit:
King Arthur thread
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1976040

Extra Copies FAQ
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656[/QUOTE]
Still no gifting of all the other games eh?:whistle2:x when will valve learn that gifting options for any games makes more mooooooooney. :nottalking:

[quote name='Wolfmight']Hey I played mine (kiddy tone of voice). Well for about 20 min and then found the graphics too damn old. but I got both for $2 hah, need to just try the one with better graphics. Like I can handle GTAIII graphics, but the spoils of these newer games with such eye candy (sexual eye candy too) are raising that bar of tolerance for older graphics lol. Still, isometric RTS games hold a much higher tolerance for older graphics in my book too tho. Like Diablo 2 or Fallout 1.[/QUOTE]

Did you try the Complete mods for them? They give them a nice visual makeover. Just Google Stalker Complete and enjoy.

[quote name='blitztwn36']Did you try the Complete mods for them? They give them a nice visual makeover. Just Google Stalker Complete and enjoy.[/QUOTE]
For Dues Ex? That would get me playing them.

[quote name='United_Korea']are the deus ex games still worth playing today? how do the visuals and the gameplay hold up?[/QUOTE]
Gameplay is good, but the graphics on the first one are really old. Like older than half-life old. Like I tried to play it, but my eyes farted puke everywhere. EVERYWHERE. there's a mod to enhance the graphics tho, here it is in a previous post:
I haven't tried it yet but am anxious to now! Dues Ex is worth it now!

I change my opinion, you should get it!

[quote name='xxjonoxx']Check out this post. I just bought Deus Ex today too. Followed this guide and it looks great now!

Game goes from looking like: http://tof.canardpc.com/view/faa790e3-fe39-4715-9570-7f8819269c4c.jpg

to: http://tof.canardpc.com/view/ccf62328-1b42-48e3-9461-e66cf926bba6.jpg

At the end, the game looks like this even on my laptop from 2007: http://tof.canardpc.com/view/abf496e6-ba4e-4a68-a6a4-dee917b7159c.jpg

Worth the $2.50, the game looks amazing after these updates.[/QUOTE]

Wow nelly I must try this! For some reason my original graphics were even worse than that screenshot...like more washed out color and gray with added noise. Strange cause I have a super powerful gaming rig with Crossfire Dual ATI HD 1GB 5770s (2GB) that run any game right now with very high graphics at high res too.

WOAH at that last screenshot. That's Dues Ex 1!?!? o_O!!!

[quote name='callmewoof']
Oh, and just to plug it more - they added in the ability to have your entire party (You + 7 computer players) consist of your own heroes (NPCs that you can customize their equip/skills any way you see fit. Used to be a limit of 3 heroes and 4 "junk" npcs)). This is from a single-player perspective of course (not counting running missions w/ other people, or doing the PvP).[/QUOTE]

Wow, it really has been a long time since I've played this game (I have Prophecies and Nightfall). I had no idea the NPC party expanded as much as it did. I may just have to reinstall it...

Boy, do I hope that Portal 2 would be one of the highlight sales in the next few days.

So far, I bought the Just Cause 2 DLCs and Trine; I hesitated on getting Trine at first, since I wasn't sure if it plays well on a PC. Thinkin' about getting S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, but since I haven't even got started with the first game, should I hold off on purchasing the sequel?

Also got The Longest Journey as a gift, out of asking because people say it's a fine adventure title; the sequel, not so much, apparently.

[quote name='bantheradio']Took me about an hour to unlock. After trying multiple times to get 12 gernades, I finally got lucky. Seems like gernade drops are pretty rare. The game is totally worth the three bucks though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think I just had bad luck. I only got 2 grenade drops and had a ton of minigun zombies spawn one after the other.

[quote name='gotdott']Took me a couple of tries lol but it's not really that hard. I've had the game for nearly a year though. How long have you had the game?[/QUOTE]

Just got it so I am a big noob. I just discovered how to reload sentry guns so now I feel really dumb!

[quote name='Mooby']It's luck based depending on whether you get grenade drops. Just set the difficulty slider on easy so you won't have any problems if it takes a while before some drop.[/QUOTE]

Oh I didn't notice the difficulty slider. I will give it a try on an easier difficulty tomorrow.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Oh man, I accidentally redeemed my 3 tickets for the Beat Hazard gold ship. I would have preferred the sunglasses for TF2. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

There is a freebie ticket each day and you can earn ones you missed from previous sale days. Also, with five days left of the sale, I'm sure you'll be able to get enough tickets for those famous shades.

Didn't like invisible war, but loved the first. After seeing the graphics upgrade I got it, that was the only thing holding me back. 2.50 is nothing, that's like 5 minutes of OT to pay for it lol. Man I hope they fixed the save files. When I played this back in the day the save files were friggen HUGE. I think by the time I hit the last level the save file was up to like 2.5 gigs.

Keep in mind this was back when 20 gigs on a hard drive was premium

I have owned Beat Hazard for a while now but due to the DLC sale and it having a Summer achievement I decided to finally play it for the first time tonight..... and HOLY SHIT is it awesome! It's IMO way better than Geometry Wars, which most agree was an awesome game. The interface with the 360 controller is great, the presentation and graphics are sick. Selecting songs to play is so simple it's ridiculous, I can't believe how much better it's setup than Audiosurf. One word of warning though, I have never felt more like I was going to have a seizure playing a game than I did when I played this. They have the typical warning about seizures when you fire the game up and normally we just scoff at those.....well beware with this game lol!

Anyways just an awesome game, BUY IT if you haven't!

So I've never played a MMO before. I'm not really into multiplayer games other than FPS games. So if I get these it'll be for the story and single player experience. I'm downloading the trial now for guild wars. Do you suggest I pick up the trilogy or just the main game if I decide I like it? Is it anything like Oblivion because that is one of my favorite games?

[quote name='dmdragon']Didn't like invisible war, but loved the first. After seeing the graphics upgrade I got it, that was the only thing holding me back. 2.50 is nothing, that's like 5 minutes of OT to pay for it lol. Man I hope they fixed the save files. When I played this back in the day the save files were friggen HUGE. I think by the time I hit the last level the save file was up to like 2.5 gigs.

Keep in mind this was back when 20 gigs on a hard drive was premium[/QUOTE]

I'm in the middle of playing Invisible War actually, having not played a Deus Ex game since the original's release, and I actually picked this title up in a previous Steam sale instead of the current. I'll have to see about those save files the further along I get, but what's really offputting right now are the very frequent and interminable load times. Decent game so far, though, although I should've allowed more time between playing this one now and Vampire: Masquerade back in May.

Sort of considering some of the guild wars addons. I played the game upon release and it was fun, but back then there wasn't a whole lot to do at max level if you didn't like pvp and I'm wondering if that's changed at all? Back then all the gear was the same and the only differences was that some of it cost more and looked more shiny but the stats were identical. Also the end game content back then consisted of 2 zones that you could only access if your country or region or whatever won some pvp crap. The 2 zones were pretty lame too if you died then tough break you had to find a new group and start all over, plus the loot in there sucked as it had the same stats as everything else, it just looked a little different.

Has any of that stuff changed? What's the current state of the game, especially in regards to end game PvE?

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Definitely getting Deus Ex Collection, STALKER games, and Beat Hazard. Debating on Wings of Prey (once the demo finishes downloading) and AI Wars. Thoughts on either game?

Steam really should at least get live chat support like Origin, though, as that was pretty painless and quick to use. Customer support is one area that seems to be pretty notoriously bad and slow with Steam from everything I've read, but I've thankfully thus far not needed any support.[/QUOTE]

I agree, they should find a better way of communication between a customer and support but Steam is a privately owned company with less resources than EA. Currently it seems that the ticket system is working for them and live support would eat up into their profits so they have no obligation to change anytime soon.

[quote name='eagles5769']So I've never played a MMO before. I'm not really into multiplayer games other than FPS games. So if I get these it'll be for the story and single player experience. I'm downloading the trial now for guild wars. Do you suggest I pick up the trilogy or just the main game if I decide I like it? Is it anything like Oblivion because that is one of my favorite games?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure if Guild Wars will be your cup of tea. GW uses the typical "point-and-click" control scheme with hotkeys to trigger your skills/spells. Of course, you can also control your character using the keyboard, too (and if you zoom all the way in, you can be in first-person view). However, that control and view option would put you at a disadvantage during combat, as you'll need to be aware of things that are going on around you.

That said, the lore of the Guild Wars world is very well-detailed. Each of the campaigns (Prophocies, Factions, and Nightfall) are set in their own areas, but all are interconnected in the same world (meaning you can use one character and still travel between the three campaigns freely (once you get to a certain point in the game)). Each has their own main story and plenty of side-quests. The game is playable by yourself (hiring henchmen or your own heroes), but it does tend to get lonely when you're outside of town since you'll be in your own instanced area.

I believe the trial sets you in the original Guild Wars (Prophecies), and the pacing may be a bit slow (if you're used to MMOs). But it will give you a general idea of how the game is. If you do decide to pick up the game, I'd suggest going for the trilogy pack since it's an extra $5 and the amount of content you'll get is worth much more. As for Eye of the North, I'd say wait on it for a deal from Amazon/Newegg. $9.99 is a bit pricey and either of the aforementioned places usually have it for cheaper and, often, with free shipping.

I'm not sure if this is quite the right place for this. Sorry if it's not.

Does anyone know of any games similar to the Star Wars Battlefront series? It seems they are done producing the games, and I really love them. I figured maybe with this sale I could get something similar for a decent price.

[quote name='jj5206']it is a lot of fun. The modders did a fantastic job designing this...[/QUOTE]

Is it just a skin pack with maps, or does the gameplay actually change with the mod?

[quote name='Doomtime']Wow! Now I'm tempted to spend $10 that I was almost certain I would keep today.[/QUOTE]

Same here, but I wish COD4 was $4.99 and not $9.99. Only a few hours left to decide :whee:

[quote name='wuxbustah8']I'm not sure if this is quite the right place for this. Sorry if it's not.

Does anyone know of any games similar to the Star Wars Battlefront series? It seems they are done producing the games, and I really love them. I figured maybe with this sale I could get something similar for a decent price.[/QUOTE]

Not on PC, but the Dynasty Warriors series is somewhat comparable.

[quote name='jj5206']it is a lot of fun. The modders did a fantastic job designing this...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wish I could find a server that does just Team Deathmatch. FFA sucks so hard with these open maps.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']How active is Monday Night Combat online?[/QUOTE]

Very (at the time of this posting. It'll surely simmer down over the next few days, but far from dead)

[quote name='wuxbustah8']I'm not sure if this is quite the right place for this. Sorry if it's not.

Does anyone know of any games similar to the Star Wars Battlefront series? It seems they are done producing the games, and I really love them. I figured maybe with this sale I could get something similar for a decent price.[/QUOTE]

the aptly-named battlefront games are very similar to the battlefield series. you already missed a daily deal on battlefield: bad company 2, the most recent iteration. steam also has battlefield 2 available, although it's not currently on sale.

[quote name='jimbodan']Sort of considering some of the guild wars addons. I played the game upon release and it was fun, but back then there wasn't a whole lot to do at max level if you didn't like pvp and I'm wondering if that's changed at all? Back then all the gear was the same and the only differences was that some of it cost more and looked more shiny but the stats were identical. Also the end game content back then consisted of 2 zones that you could only access if your country or region or whatever won some pvp crap. The 2 zones were pretty lame too if you died then tough break you had to find a new group and start all over, plus the loot in there sucked as it had the same stats as everything else, it just looked a little different.

Has any of that stuff changed? What's the current state of the game, especially in regards to end game PvE?[/QUOTE]

Can I assume when you say "back then," you meant the Prophecies campaign? If so, you'll be glad to know that the two stand-alone "add-ons" (Factions and Nightfall) are also for maxed level characters. They each have their own starting areas for people, such as pre-Searing and pre-Lion's Gate was for Prophecies. But if you're moving your character from Prophecies to either campaigns, you'll have skipped the low-levels area and jump into the meat of the campaigns.

Since I assume you only have the Prophecies campaign, it's best to buy the trilogy pack for the key and add it to your account (unfortunately, you won't be able to gift your extra Prophecies set). The main story line of each campaigns can last you quite some time. Then you also have the option to go hunting for elite skills, vanquishing areas, or other goodies in Nightfall which I do not know about since it's the only campaign I do not own!:booty: Regardless, the Guild Wars trilogy can last you quite a looong time because of all its content, even if you're just doing the main story quest line.

And on a side note, for those who are interested, you can pick up your own physical copy of "Eye of the North" (the one and only true expansion to the Guild Wars series that requires you to own any ONE of the three campaigns) at Newegg for $5.99 with free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832197013
It comes with a key that you can add to your Guild Wars account. :D

Damn you people, I had made my mind up that I wasn't getting Guild Wars, but all this talk about it (mainly the fact that you can create up to 7 CPU party members) has convinced me to give it a shot.

Which of the 3 editions of Guild Wars would be best to start with, going fresh into the franchise? Should I start with the first and then move on to the last, play all 3 in order, or just start with the last (best, from what I gather through reviews) and then go back to the other 2 after I finish it? The fact is, I don't have as much gaming time as I used to (back in the days of Ultima Online), and I am wondering if I would ever get through all of them.

Just a friendly dissenting opinion about Beat Hazard: In my experience, the relationship between the music and the actual gameplay is pretty loose on any song that isn't predominantly bass n' drums. And also, even with the "visual intensity" turned all the way down, I'm just not always sure which of the millions of pulsating points of light just killed me.

The game is definitely visceral, and it's a reasonably well-balanced twin-stick shooter, and all that --but its central gimmick is only half-realized, and its design favors fireworks over useful visual information.

[quote name='immanewb']Can I assume when you say "back then," you meant the Prophecies campaign? If so, you'll be glad to know that the two stand-alone "add-ons" (Factions and Nightfall) are also for maxed level characters. They each have their own starting areas for people, such as pre-Searing and pre-Lion's Gate was for Prophecies. But if you're moving your character from Prophecies to either campaigns, you'll have skipped the low-levels area and jump into the meat of the campaigns.

Since I assume you only have the Prophecies campaign, it's best to buy the trilogy pack for the key and add it to your account (unfortunately, you won't be able to gift your extra Prophecies set). The main story line of each campaigns can last you quite some time. Then you also have the option to go hunting for elite skills, vanquishing areas, or other goodies in Nightfall which I do not know about since it's the only campaign I do not own!:booty: Regardless, the Guild Wars trilogy can last you quite a looong time because of all its content, even if you're just doing the main story quest line.

And on a side note, for those who are interested, you can pick up your own physical copy of "Eye of the North" (the one and only true expansion to the Guild Wars series that requires you to own any ONE of the three campaigns) at Newegg for $5.99 with free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832197013
It comes with a key that you can add to your Guild Wars account. :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks, yeah "back then" for me was just the original vanilla game, I bought it right around release. I guess what I'm curious about is how does the end game PvE content compare to WoW's (or is there even any end game stuff in Guild Wars?). That's what was really disappointing for me about the original Guild Wars when I played it, the fact that there really wasn't any true meaningful end game stuff, no big bosses to kill, or any awesome new loot to collect. Don't get me wrong the campaign was really fun but once I hate max level, collected all my skills, and tried out the few max level zones there really wasn't any reason to keep playing since I didn't like the PvP.

[quote name='Terlan']Justyouraveragejoe From what I heard Clear Sky had Tages patched out so you might want to look into it.[/QUOTE]
Much obliged. After reading this I did some digging and it seems that's the case, so I'm going to go ahead and grab it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back