Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='immanewb']Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure if Guild Wars will be your cup of tea. GW uses the typical "point-and-click" control scheme with hotkeys to trigger your skills/spells. Of course, you can also control your character using the keyboard, too (and if you zoom all the way in, you can be in first-person view). However, that control and view option would put you at a disadvantage during combat, as you'll need to be aware of things that are going on around you.

That said, the lore of the Guild Wars world is very well-detailed. Each of the campaigns (Prophocies, Factions, and Nightfall) are set in their own areas, but all are interconnected in the same world (meaning you can use one character and still travel between the three campaigns freely (once you get to a certain point in the game)). Each has their own main story and plenty of side-quests. The game is playable by yourself (hiring henchmen or your own heroes), but it does tend to get lonely when you're outside of town since you'll be in your own instanced area.

I believe the trial sets you in the original Guild Wars (Prophecies), and the pacing may be a bit slow (if you're used to MMOs). But it will give you a general idea of how the game is. If you do decide to pick up the game, I'd suggest going for the trilogy pack since it's an extra $5 and the amount of content you'll get is worth much more. As for Eye of the North, I'd say wait on it for a deal from Amazon/Newegg. $9.99 is a bit pricey and either of the aforementioned places usually have it for cheaper and, often, with free shipping.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat as Eagles. I want to try GW out (never played an MMO RPG) but with my backlog I definitely won't get to it until the next summer sale. I'll probably end up playing it solo with the customized NPCs for the main quests so lack of people playing it wouldn't be a big deal. I'm tempted to pull the trigger but I'm trying to resist and wait it out. I've only spent about $12 so far but I'm a cheap bastard and $15 is pretty steep for me. About how many hours do you get out of the main quests and do you think it will get even cheaper after GW2 is released?

[quote name='xxjonoxx']Check out this post. I just bought Deus Ex today too. Followed this guide and it looks great now!

Game goes from looking like: http://tof.canardpc.com/view/faa790e3-fe39-4715-9570-7f8819269c4c.jpg

to: http://tof.canardpc.com/view/ccf62328-1b42-48e3-9461-e66cf926bba6.jpg

At the end, the game looks like this even on my laptop from 2007: http://tof.canardpc.com/view/abf496e6-ba4e-4a68-a6a4-dee917b7159c.jpg

Worth the $2.50, the game looks amazing after these updates.[/QUOTE]
Thanks a bunch, that pushed me over the edge for purchasing Deus Ex 1.

Played another free to play MMO, Anarchy Online and I found me + MMO is not a good combination as it took my laptop cooling system breaking to stop me from playing it all the time. Now I only play MMOs that give you a limited amount of action points to use each day.

[quote name='jimbodan']Thanks, yeah "back then" for me was just the original vanilla game, I bought it right around release. I guess what I'm curious about is how does the end game PvE content compare to WoW's (or is there even any end game stuff in Guild Wars?). That's what was really disappointing for me about the original Guild Wars when I played it, the fact that there really wasn't any true meaningful end game stuff, no big bosses to kill, or any awesome new loot to collect. Don't get me wrong the campaign was really fun but once I hate max level, collected all my skills, and tried out the few max level zones there really wasn't any reason to keep playing since I didn't like the PvP.[/QUOTE]
Last post before I head to sleep!

I see the point. Most of the end-game content for non-PvP'er will come through Elite Missions (which you may be familiar with from Prophecies), Competitive Missions (Factions exclusive; PvP-lite, if you will), Challenge Missions, and repeating the story line quests through Hard Mode (it's no joke from what I've heard). While there's not a WHOLE lot to do, the main storyline may be enough to warrant the $15 as it will keep you busy for quite a while (especially with the addition of four new classes on top of the original ones; two from each of the campaigns).

[quote name='electricsleep']I'm in the same boat as Eagles. I want to try GW out (never played an MMO RPG) but with my backlog I definitely won't get to it until the next summer sale. I'll probably end up playing it solo with the customized NPCs for the main quests so lack of people playing it wouldn't be a big deal. I'm tempted to pull the trigger but I'm trying to resist and wait it out. I've only spent about $12 so far but I'm a cheap bastard and $15 is pretty steep for me. About how many hours do you get out of the main quests and do you think it will get even cheaper after GW2 is released?[/QUOTE]
That may be hard to say if the trilogy warrants the $15 price at the moment in your case. If someone was looking to get their non-traditional MMO/RPG fix, then I would recommend the GW series at this price. But you sort of lie in the grey area between the two.

Unfortunately, I can't say the approximate hours you'll get from the game by just doing the main quests from the three campaigns, as there are a lot of factors to consider. But a single quest may last about 30+ minutes, and there are quite a few of the main quests in each campaigns. For a true Guild Wars experience, I don't think it should be rushed through, but rather enjoyed as it comes. In your case, it may be best to pass it for the time being (or save up for GW2 because it may be THE next big thing).

In the mean time, you could always try out the trial version (14 days/10 hours limit, I believe) to get a general feel of the game. If you like it, you can always pick it up during the next major Steam sales event (it should be around the same price, or possibly even lower).

And with that said: good night, fellow CAG'ers! I'll catch you all tomorrow! :)

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Not on PC, but the Dynasty Warriors series is somewhat comparable.[/QUOTE]

They really have nothing in common besides the fact that you kill mindless AI in both. And I'm not just saying they are different because one has guns and the other swords.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']I grabbed the complete beathazard, TO THE ELO GREATEST HITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Lol. The first track I ever played in Audiosurf was "Livin' Thing". (Followed by "Savoy Truffle")

[quote name='BGriffith']looks like an audiosurf challenge and sale tomorrow, the game just updated with a new achievement:

Sunburn

Turn 21 blocks red with a single paint.

[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Blade3D']Appears Poker Night at the Inventory got a new achievement as well

Summer of '69

Win a hand with a 6 card and a 9 card of any suit.

[/QUOTE]

This ticket system is really making me break out some games I haven't played in a while (or, at all, in some cases). Sort of a clever system they have going, especially when it's lead to me purchasing DLC for the various games.

Trine has a summer achievement too, but it's been there for days. I assume that game will have a ticket option by the end of the sale.

All this talk about Beat Hazard made me download the demo. Would you guys recommend iTunes support? All my music is there.

[quote name='callmewoof']Edit: P.S. anyone else having issues with posting on the forum? Like, it lags a ton and then goes to the "you must wait 45 seconds to post again" screen (and it did indeed post your post), acting like you're double posting? And the posting lag, oh the lag. Maybe its just me? o_O[/QUOTE]

It's not just you. The forums have been like this for me for about a week or so, at least.

Ended up grabbing the King Arthur pack...I remember i didn't grab it last time it went on sale and for 4.50 for the whole collection I felt I would get my moneys out, especially since I saw the Total War comparisons and those games are fun.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Trine has a summer achievement too, but it's been there for days. I assume that game will have a ticket option by the end of the sale.
[/QUOTE]

Trine had a ticket option on the 4th.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']How active is Monday Night Combat online?[/QUOTE]

Actually, not very. Prior to the sale spike only around ~100ish people were playing at any given time and keep in mind that could also include password protected servers. It had a 75% off sale prior to the Summer sale, not even more than a week ago and after that spike it died back down to it's ~100ish. It's a solid game but don't be surprised to only see an average of 5-6 severs of 6v6 games at any one time.

A general note to anyone still on the fence about Deus Ex... the main reason you should play this game: level design. Not too long ago developers actually put effort into level design allowing you to complete missions/objectives a variety of ways using a variety of paths and a variety of both combat and non combat skills. A far cry from many of the rail shooters that a lot of FPS games are today.

[quote name='immanewb']

And on a side note, for those who are interested, you can pick up your own physical copy of "Eye of the North" (the one and only true expansion to the Guild Wars series that requires you to own any ONE of the three campaigns) at Newegg for $5.99 with free shipping:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832197013
It comes with a key that you can add to your Guild Wars account. :D[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know how this would work with Steam? Could I just install everything to the Steam directory or would I need to get the client from the GW website?

[quote name='Mooby']Actually, not very. Prior to the sale spike only around ~100ish people were playing at any given time and keep in mind that could also include password protected servers. It had a 75% off sale prior to the Summer sale, not even more than a week ago and after that spike it died back down to it's ~100ish. It's a solid game but don't be surprised to only see an average of 5-6 severs of 6v6 games at any one time.[/QUOTE]

This is why I dislike multiplayer indie games. Obviously there aren't enough multiplayer games coming out so we need some Indie ones to jump in and get a dead community months or possibly weeks after launch.

This is why I got sad after seeing the Hawken gameplay demo. I don't want to play on a half empty server from Russia where I can't get a stable connection.

Still, bought Lead & Gold so I feel I am good with supporting the mp indie games for this sale.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Here's hoping to a sale on Witcher Director's Cut that doesn't increase five minutes after it goes on sale or not match the rest of the Atari sale percentage. (66% off all Atari games* *excluding The Witcher: Director's Cut 5 minutes after the sale starts)

I'm hoping for a sale on FEAR (to help me justify buying it over again but on Steam), Medal of Honor (though I doubt it'll be low enough for me to justify), Crysis (same reason as FEAR), C&C4, SupCom2, K&L1&2, and I'd love a low price on the Claptrap DLC for Borderlands. Because let's face it, Claptraps deserve to be shot. It's what they were meant for.[/QUOTE]

They've already had a sale on Medal of Honor, and Witcher 2, at least.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Trine has a summer achievement too, but it's been there for days. I assume that game will have a ticket option by the end of the sale.

All this talk about Beat Hazard made me download the demo. Would you guys recommend iTunes support? All my music is there.

It's not just you. The forums have been like this for me for about a week or so, at least.[/QUOTE]
Get the whole pack. Beat Hazard ultra is worth the extra upgrade because it does add some nice new stuff, and you will want iTunes support. It's defiantly worth the price, but it also gives seizures, literally :lol:.

I wonder what Steam is going to do today to rape my wallet again :D.

[quote name='cheapo72']Lol. The first track I ever played in Audiosurf was "Livin' Thing". (Followed by "Savoy Truffle")[/QUOTE]

Calling America handed me my ass....lol

[quote name='immanewb']Last post before I head to sleep!

I see the point. Most of the end-game content for non-PvP'er will come through Elite Missions (which you may be familiar with from Prophecies), Competitive Missions (Factions exclusive; PvP-lite, if you will), Challenge Missions, and repeating the story line quests through Hard Mode (it's no joke from what I've heard). While there's not a WHOLE lot to do, the main storyline may be enough to warrant the $15 as it will keep you busy for quite a while (especially with the addition of four new classes on top of the original ones; two from each of the campaigns).

That may be hard to say if the trilogy warrants the $15 price at the moment in your case. If someone was looking to get their non-traditional MMO/RPG fix, then I would recommend the GW series at this price. But you sort of lie in the grey area between the two.

Unfortunately, I can't say the approximate hours you'll get from the game by just doing the main quests from the three campaigns, as there are a lot of factors to consider. But a single quest may last about 30+ minutes, and there are quite a few of the main quests in each campaigns. For a true Guild Wars experience, I don't think it should be rushed through, but rather enjoyed as it comes. In your case, it may be best to pass it for the time being (or save up for GW2 because it may be THE next big thing).

In the mean time, you could always try out the trial version (14 days/10 hours limit, I believe) to get a general feel of the game. If you like it, you can always pick it up during the next major Steam sales event (it should be around the same price, or possibly even lower).

And with that said: good night, fellow CAG'ers! I'll catch you all tomorrow! :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks again for the responses. I looked into it a little and it seems like things really haven't changed much so I decided to pass. Maybe I'll give Guild Wars 2 a shot when it comes out. Ended up grabbing 2 of the Stalker games instead.

[quote name='Kaltic']They really have nothing in common besides the fact that you kill mindless AI in both. And I'm not just saying they are different because one has guns and the other swords.[/QUOTE]

It's been a few years, but I felt that the campaigns of both felt similar. Who knows, maybe my memory is a little faded on the series.

[quote name='MoCiWe']Ended up grabbing the King Arthur pack...I remember i didn't grab it last time it went on sale and for 4.50 for the whole collection I felt I would get my moneys out, especially since I saw the Total War comparisons and those games are fun.[/QUOTE]

You are also getting an extra DLC, since The Druids has been released since the last sale.

[quote name='Mooby']A far cry from many of the rail shooters that a lot of FPS games are today.[/QUOTE]
There's nothing inherently wrong with corridor shooters so long as they're done well. The problem is that most aren't.

[quote name='Rerujnoc']Trine had a ticket option on the 4th.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out!

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Get the whole pack. Beat Hazard ultra is worth the extra upgrade because it does add some nice new stuff, and you will want iTunes support. It's defiantly worth the price, but it also gives seizures, literally :lol:.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the recommendation. After trying the demo, I went ahead and bought the bundle. Getting ready to try it with my own music. :D

[quote name='jester55']Is the AI WAR base game or complete bundle very good? Seems mildly tempting...[/QUOTE]

I haven't played as much as I should but they seem like good games, if the videos and pictures seem good to you, it might be worth getting. It can seem a little tough and daunting to get into though. if you have the time you might want to try the demo. For what its worth the devs have been updating the game a lot.

with just a couple hours to go I am really tempted to get GW Trilogy, but I just don't know if I want to drop the cash. I think it's cool that you can do the PVE solo but how is the PVP? Is it still very active? I have always wanted to try this game and have an MMO itch to scratch, but I am thinking I may be able to accomplish that by trying LoL finally. Any thoughts?

Well, looks like we know some of the upcoming games in the summer sale now:

Found those on NeoGAF, who found them through another forum. They're hosted on Steam's own CDN server, so they're real, and if you fiddle with the numbers in the URL you can find images for current/past deals (Deus Ex, STALKER, etc.)

Wonder if the sims 3 full pack will get discounted further. Like half off. I might bite if it dropped down to $40 for the entire pack.

[quote name='JP']Wonder if the sims 3 full pack will get discounted further. Like half off. I might bite if it dropped down to $40 for the entire pack.[/QUOTE]
I'm hoping (in vain, I'm sure) that the base game will hit $15 or less. I'd be really tempted then. I've never played The Sims series really, so I'd love to jump in. But they're always so expensive, relative to their age.

King's Bounty tempts me every sale - it's a game that I feel like I could lose a hundred hours in - I just don't know if it's worth it with the backlog that I have.

I'm still holding out for Fallout 3 GOTY to pop up as a daily deal - far fetched at this point after New Vegas went up as a "Franchise Sale" and left out FO3.

I was tempted to get Guild Wars, but I know I would play 90% of it single player and I never know if that is a good idea. I'm always told that at a point you NEED to get a group to advance.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Well, looks like we know some of the upcoming games in the summer sale now:

[/QUOTE]

I would totally get King's Bounty. I had problems with the screen flickering constantly during the demo I played a while back, though...

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']I'm hoping (in vain, I'm sure) that the base game will hit $15 or less. I'd be really tempted then. I've never played The Sims series really, so I'd love to jump in. But they're always so expensive, relative to their age.[/QUOTE]

My husband I recently got into Sims 3. It was our first Sims experience, and we had a BLAST. We played the game from our respective PCs for about 3 weeks, pouring hours into it every night.

I highly recommend it. I intend to go back into the game at some point and create a new character. The game just has so much replay value depending on how you want your characters to act and which career paths you want them to follow (or not). Heck, I spent at least six hours just designing a house!

[quote name='utopianmachine']I would totally get King's Bounty. I had problems with the screen flickering constantly during the demo I played a while back, though... [/QUOTE]

Last I knew the game had issues with ATI cards. I believe it has issues with ATI Anti-Aliasing (EDIT: Make sure Anti-Aliasing is turned off). Also make sure to have vertical sync on (Unless it was another setting that causes issues with ATI cards).Those were the only issues I believe I remember with the game that were rather wide spread.

[quote name='blitztwn36']King's Bounty tempts me every sale - it's a game that I feel like I could lose a hundred hours in - I just don't know if it's worth it with the backlog that I have..[/QUOTE]

This. It also applies to King Arthur. I know I'd probably like it, but I've got so much other stuff to play that I doubt I'd get to it before it goes on sale again.

[quote name='Draekon']Last I knew the game had issues with ATI cards. I believe it has issues with ATI Anti-Aliasing (EDIT: Make sure Anti-Aliasing is turned off). Also make sure to have vertical sync on (Unless it was another setting that causes issues with ATI cards).Those were the only issues I believe I remember with the game that were rather wide spread.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, my video card is ATI, but it seems there are work-arounds.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1708402

If the game goes on sale, I think I'll take the gamble. I've always been interested since I tried the demo.

[quote name='Draekon']Last I knew the game had issues with ATI cards. I believe it has issues with ATI Anti-Aliasing (EDIT: Make sure Anti-Aliasing is turned off). Also make sure to have vertical sync on (Unless it was another setting that causes issues with ATI cards).Those were the only issues I believe I remember with the game that were rather wide spread.[/QUOTE]

I've bought the King's Bounty pack during the last winter sale. I've played it on this PC which contains an ATI Radeon HD5850 graphics card and I haven't had any issues. Not sure which drivers I'm currently rinning though :p (*edit: looks like 10.12 although I dunno if it's the most updated :p)

The game is pretty fun :) Like HOMM but instead you don't really have towns to build up and grow creatures in. You need to find "shops" as you go.

[quote name='Ltor']I'm interested in guild wars 2 but i dunno about guild wars, worth checking out?[/QUOTE]
MMO fans say it pretty breathtaking. Heard it's less social tho and perhaps a little more solo? I stay away from MMOs to keep a good variety going. I had my MMO phase in middle school and learned to move on to less immerse gaming.

[quote name='helmet']After some last minute uncertainties I caved and bought Stalker CoP, and now I'm thinking about Beat Hazard Ultra..[/QUOTE]
I know for certain the Beat Hazard is by far one of the best music library influenced games on Steam. Super fun, I love it. And Stalker CoP has lots of good stuff about it too, but I haven't played it. From that, I recommend Beat Hazard Ultra if anything. Especially if you have a lot of good music on your system.

Don't know about you guys, but I'm hoping Stronghold Legends or the whole Stronghold collection becomes daily deal prices. and of course can't wait till that Stronghold 3 finally comes out - (o>O) drool
seems to be $13.39 for the whole collection right now http://store.steampowered.com/app/40950/ hmmmmm. Not bad not bad.

Guild Wars is awesome as a PvE. I prefer to run through games by myself and not have to wait on a group... Eventually the guys in the group that don't work pass me in the dust. I thoroughly enjoyed Guild Wars.

I would have to agree that Guild Wars was much less social, but after joining a guild, things became a lot more alive.

I guess the one thing that I really enjoyed was the fact that the level cap was only 20. You didn't have to play every day to stay at the same level of intensity as your teammates or friends. It's one of things I'm a little skeptical of Guild Wars 2 (as they're introducing a much higher level cap), but I'll let things play out. GW2 looks beautiful so far and I am totally excited for it's eventual release.

in advance of if/when kings bounty goes on sale, is it a good series? I like rpgs and Srpgs and tactical games but havent tried KB or HoMM (and all reviews reference these as comparison).

I am hoping to see Amnesia and Titan Quest soon... those are the games I was really hoping to get during the course of this sale

[quote name='callmewoof']in advance of if/when kings bounty goes on sale, is it a good series? I like rpgs and Srpgs and tactical games but havent tried KB or HoMM (and all reviews reference these as comparison).[/QUOTE]

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. Is Kings Bounty similar to Heroes of Might and Magic? I don't know exactly what genre I thought it was, but I had never heard or seen anything comparing it to Heroes or turn based strategy games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back