Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ichigo1993']I've played it twice after picking up last week through a trade. If I would have to offer comparisons, it's a combination of Left 4 Dead and CoD Zombies. You have waves of infected each round, and after each round, you're able to go to a store to buy weapons with the money you've gathered. It's a blast with friends and the community, from what I could tell, was very very active.[/QUOTE]

thank you. will probably pick this up. love both L4D and Cod zombies. will probly enjoy this plenty!

I was really looking forward to a potential Prototype sale, but having a msrp of $29.99? And only a 50% off sale, too? Guess I'm just gonna stick with my Darksiders that I got for the excellent price of $5.00.

[quote name='Magsec']Have they raised the level cap above 6? I stopped played when most of the classes hit that level.[/QUOTE]
I wish. I stopped playing about a year and a half ago and in that time they added new maps to the whitelist, two seasonal events (including the one happening now), a new difficulty, Mac10 uzi, and more DLC skins. I don't see why they couldn't increase the perk caps to 7 with the new difficulty level, but I guess that would defeat the purpose of higher difficulty.

[quote name='jester55']This - if you already have L4D2 is L4D worth a pickup??[/QUOTE]

I personally much prefer the maps and characters in L4D to L4D2. I don't know how active the community for that game is but I was never not able to find a game to join.

I highly recommend L4D2 and Killing Floor. I have spent hours on both and they are just a blast to play.

Killing Floor takes more of a Counter-Strike approach in that you buy your own weapons/armor and try to survive each round. Number of rounds can be customized so gamers at any level can enjoy it. The more rounds of course, the harder it becomes. Great community that supports the game with fan created levels as well.

L4D2 is just a great value at $4.99. A plethora of different modes, both cooperative and adversarial, and the community is still populated as well.

If you aren't tired of zombies by this point, these games are must haves.

I also highly recommend GTA 4. $9.99 for the whole package is insane. It's been hammered by the public because of the shoddy port, but it runs really smoothly for me and as expected works well with the 360 controller.

I think it's unfair to call GTA IV a buggy POS. IT's got really high processor requirements, but with a decent dual core and video card you can run it at least as well as on console. a quick search can find the console equivalent settings online and you'll find they are very low, compared to maxing out the game.

This is very strange. I would have sworn the Sims 3 complete collection was already $80, yet it's a franchise sale day and the price hasn't gone down at all. Wonder if it will in a bit, or if EA really doesn't care about getting more sales. =P

In any case, today seems pretty good as far as daily deals go. Will be picking up Killing Floor, and quite possibly King's Bounty as well. (Now knowing the turn based hex gameplay involved

[quote name='helmet']Killing Floor is an absolute must buy at that price. I've never had more fun, or put more time into any other shooter on steam. It may not be as pretty as Left 4 Dead/2, but it has excellent gameplay and re-playability. I'd spring for the extra DLC if I didn't already have the game, adds a little variety but nothing that effects gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think I might bite at this price..

Anyone on L4D1?

I thought that The Sims 3 was a SteamPlay game..but its not, so I don't really want to buy it now..

I'm tempted by Killing Floor and L4D, but as always, I'll probably end up not buying them..

[quote name='jester55']This - if you already have L4D2 is L4D worth a pickup??[/QUOTE]

No, not really. They are different games, but the gameplay in L4D2 is far superior. I've played both games a ton and I rarely play L4D1 any more.

All the L4D1 maps are coming to L4D2 soon, and a lot of the better user campaigns have been transferred as well.

[quote name='The End']Is there any point at all in picking up either of the Left 4 Dead games or Killing Floor if I only play single player?[/QUOTE]

L4D is okay because you play with NPCs. KF on solo SUCKS. It's just you versus hordes of specimens. Solo is a good way to learn the maps and maybe grind some experience for your guys but it gets old fast. Multiplayer usually isn't my favorite thing to do but it's required for KF. A great gaming experience.

[quote name='danstabbingworth']No, not really. They are different games, but the gameplay in L4D2 is far superior. I've played both games a ton and I rarely play L4D1 any more.

All the L4D1 maps are coming to L4D2 soon, and a lot of the better user campaigns have been transferred as well.[/QUOTE]
It's sad how they killed off L4D so quickly. I still proudly boycott L4D2 to this day.

[quote name='sp8001']I have played it with my TE 360 stick. Works great.

It plays just like you are back in the arcade ;)...[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks for the reply!

Now it is just a question of what else to get...I thought about skipping King's Bounty since I just got Arthur (I know they are different but they both are timesinks) but that price is so good, and from everything yall are saying about Killing Floor I think I am gonna have to grab it. I don't know if I will survive this sale!!!:bouncy:

L4D > L4D 2
Left 4 Dead 1 is better than Left 4 Dead 2.

That's just my opinion, and nearly everyone I've ever played with on 360.

I just bought Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 bundle for $7.49.
Somebody friend my Steam account to play with me.
This was my first Steam or PC game purchase ever!

[quote name='The End']Is there any point at all in picking up either of the Left 4 Dead games or Killing Floor if I only play single player?[/QUOTE]

Your teammates in L4D will be controlled by the computer. If you never play with other humans, having robot teammates is mostly acceptable.

I did not enjoy single player Killing Floor.

EVERYONE should buy Killing Floor.
It's amazing. I got it near launch for $10 and I was glad I did. Had more fun with it than L4D2 actually. It's not a very pretty game but it's really addicting.

Kind of sucks that the sims 3 titles only work with steam-purchased base games. Would buy some of the expansions, but now i won't because my copy is incompatible with the steam versions.

[quote name='gcorlett']It's my understanding that they patched all that up. It was problematic at first, but better now. They did some things with the graphics engine that really take the load off, so it performs fine on modern machines.

I own it, but I haven't played it. Perhaps someone can confirm.

One warning for sure is that the GTA 4 Download is like 14 GB. Ouch.[/QUOTE]
GTA IV runs fine on my gaming rig and both the game and graphics drivers have been updated to improve it's performance and stability. But since it's not the best port job, you need a little extra system power than what the game should probably require, but with the right amount it will run smoothly.

I have dual ATI HD 5770s 1GB in Crossfire (2GB) with a Quad Core 3.2Ghz CPU and I can run it pretty much at max settings except for the max draw distances which aren't noticeable improvements after about 60% anyways. The draw distances are the only thing I'd recommend to go easy on and tweak around with to get the game running smooth. For me, it'll run great with them at max usually, but there will be some places that still drop the FPS due to poor coding. The FPS drops caused by poor coding usually happen really sudden and intense in the same areas and the devs gotta release patches to smooth out those drop zones.
Personally, I feel like the game would even run smoother on the PS3 if the cooling system was better as well because I recognize heat lag and fps drops when I see them and the PS3 (atleast the fatter systems) definitely get it in some areas of heavy load and rendering. Now I'm gonna look up cooling mods for the PS3 with a manual control for the fans lol.

Personally, I say you need atleast 1GB of a fairly recent gfx card from the past 6 years and a tri or quad core cpu to help distribute the load. Performance issues seem to being when the CPU temp goes above 65C) and when the GFX card goes above 75-80C. I know with the newer GFX cards, you can usually access the fan speeds to manually set them to 50-60% to gain a performance boost if yours runs too hot on auto speed. Usually auto speed control places noise over performance without hitting dangerous temps, so manually setting the speed higher can help even more with games like GTA:IV that didn't have the smoothest port jobs. The code could certainly be more optimized for the PC in the draw distance settings.

Update: I only got these performance issues over a year ago and I believe ATI's driver updates have pretty much knocked them out. If you want GTA IV and have the recommended specs for the game - go ahead.

Just brought Killing Floor, just the game didn't bother with the complete pack.. its just extra character skins and I don't really care for that..

Think i'll hold off L4D 1 also.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Looks like Batman: AA GOTY will be on sale 75% off. Don't recall it being that cheap before. That's all I see off my wishlist so far with a new/expanded discount.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I already bought it for $5.99 during Square Eidos Sale in Gamersgate last week. This Summer Sale kinda weak, I feel that Steam weekly and normal daily deal its much cheaper than this one.

[quote name='scarhawk']Should I get GTA 4 at that price...
I have a sealed copy of GTA 4 Complete for PS3 which I'll probably sell off if I get the PC version.[/QUOTE]

I really recommended GTA IV Complete for that price. Sure there's another deal which is cheaper like the last Riockstar Sale in GamersGate few weeks ago but it happen rarely so... Go get it now!!!

It's a bit hard to go back to L4D1 after playing 2, specifically in versus play. The L4D1 campaigns are classic though and definitely worth experiencing. Fortunately, they will be ported over to L4D2 sooner or later. I'd suggest grabbing both if it's only an extra 2.50 though.

I find it comical how you can pick up both games complete with DLCs for the same price as a single DLC pack for the 360 version.

Will probably pick up killing floor, remember, the steam punk pack is one of the ticket rewards so if you wanted all the character packs you can redeem that prize and buy the game and the 4 other packs individually for $6.95 instead of $7.48 for the entire thing.

[quote name='Mike UFC']L4D is okay because you play with NPCs. KF on solo SUCKS. It's just you versus hordes of specimens. Solo is a good way to learn the maps and maybe grind some experience for your guys but it gets old fast. Multiplayer usually isn't my favorite thing to do but it's required for KF. A great gaming experience.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. Does your assessment of L4D apply to L4D2 as well? If so, I might just pick up the second game. Several people here have basically said that the first game is a pointless buy if you have the second because they're gonna be porting all the maps from L4D to L4D2.

Edit: thanks to danstabbingworth as well for his reply.

[quote name='plutoknight']I thought that The Sims 3 was a SteamPlay game..but its not, so I don't really want to buy it now..[/QUOTE]

So what exactly does it mean if a game doesn't have Steamplay. I was thinking of picking up Sims 3 as well, but your post has me wondering if I should take a pass as you're gonna do.

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']There's no need to be condescending. Valve is not exempt from criticism because they do other good things. Activision donates money to a fund for veterans, but that doesn't mean I can't call out their bullshit either. And if you're going to go by putting AAA games on sale and still supporting them, then EA must be pretty great too, since I picked up BF:BC2 for under $10 months ago and it's been getting free maps since release too.

I wouldn't have expected this since I'm new to Steam, this is my first major sale, and I have not researched nor committed to memory past sales that I was not a part of, so expecting that is bizarre. The only reason I haven't been burned by the first rule of Steam sales (wait for the daily deals) is because of everything I read just as the sale was starting.[/QUOTE]

I meant it lightly, not harsh. As gentle ribbing. I'm sorry. "Printed word" and all that. Part of the charm of Steam is getting a great game at a great price, and then watching the game be even cheaper 1 month later. I payed $30 for L4D2, myself. I try to be happy about it being $5 now because it means the community stays strong.

The only time I really get bummed is when a game gets cheaper after I've bought it but before I've even had time to play it. Ooh that burns me up.

But then I look at game prices for consoles and I get happy again.

If you're new to Steam, you might find that link I posted in my last message helpful - it shows historical prices for Steam games. You can also get some of that in the "news" section for any game on Steam itself. Also, there's a "group buy" thread on here ... somewhere ... that helps for getting games like L4D that have 4-packs. I think it's linked off the top page.

Cheers. Sorry that I sounded like a jerk.

[quote name='mrsamsa']I think it's unfair to call GTA IV a buggy POS. IT's got really high processor requirements, but with a decent dual core and video card you can run it at least as well as on console. a quick search can find the console equivalent settings online and you'll find they are very low, compared to maxing out the game.[/QUOTE]
It's not how the requirements are to run the game, that's fine and it ran great when I played it. It's when I was playing the game I would often see missing textures of roof's (actually roofs not even showing up) and other things and other bugs that were never present in the console versions. They seemed to have address all the issues I guess, I haven't been keeping up with it.

But for $10, that is a steal, buggy or not. Especially since the expansions normally go for like $15-$20 for the both of them nowadays.

Picking up a lot of games during this Steam sale, sorta new to Steam.

Feel Free to add me to friends list on Steam (look in my signature for name)

[quote name='shosh']question:

can you use steams version of GTA on GFWL?[/QUOTE]

Yup it use GFWL, you can read it in the game description.

Day 7 and I finally bought something. DLC for KF and Batman AA. Now I am tempted by GTA4 complete for mods even though I already own it for PS3. Can someone tell me if the steam version will work with those mods?

I had been eying Rush for awhile since it was so cheap, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy it. Now that it has a ticket I think I will. This might be one of the only games my laptop can play though I doubt it considering Need For Speed Underground is almost too much for it.

So for today's deals. mmm mm

Batman Arkham Asylum - Damn good game. Perhaps one of the best Superhero games of all time in fact. With aspects of open sandbox, puzzles, action, riddles - you'll have fun with this one. The story and extras are pretty sweet too. Wish it was a bit cheaper though, but $7.49 is a fair deal for it. $4.99 or lower would be a no brainer. With the prices that close, it's your call lol

Sims 3 - Be prepared to be sucked in and spend a lot of time on this one. I've only played Sims 1 and 2, but I know how addictive and time consuming they are - and BELIEVE ME, they ARE! I do not recommend the $70 pack of expansions unless your uber-hardcore sims fan and must have everything but then be prepared to spend even MORE time on it. I mean, this game consumes time like Oblivion and WoW on steroids and crack and then some. It stands next to them in addiction levels. Great game though, and $13.60 is very fair for the latest version too. Anything $8 or lower would be a no brainer deal. I haven't even played this one yet and I am already betting TONs that the replay value is RIDICULOUS. I've heard this one is even more addictive with the new features like managing entire neighborhoods of houses at the same time (no just limited to loading individual houses one at a time). Can't even imagine. The addiction potential scares me here lol, but if your cool will focusing mostly on sims - this is no problem and worth the $13. Anything below $7 would be a no brainer where the brain also explodes into gold coins. Not even Bruce Cambell would understand that one.

Prototype - Pretty decent game, but $14.99 is a bit too high still. I need to read more on this one, but from what I've read so far - I wouldn't call it a fair or no brainer deal at the moment.

Far Cry 2 - Impulse price there. Far Cry one was pretty intense, but I never really got to completing it for some reason. I've beaten tons of FPSs old and new, but not Far Cry for some reason. Guess it lost my interest. If you loved the first one though, I'm sure this one won't let you down. $4.99 makes it easy to decide on this one. It will potentially be a no brainer deal for some people for sure.

Left 4 Dead 2 - Most of the gameplay is online so if that isn't your thing, check out the GTA:IV Complete Edition instead if you don't have that. However $4.99 is fantastic for this! But screw that if you don't have Left 4 Dead 1 - for there is a combo deal here for both at $7.49. NO BRAINER deal here. If you haven't played Left 4 Dead and have even the slightest interest in online FPSs or Zombies or just damn fun games in general, these are a MUST. They are essential and I have to ask once again, "Who hasn't played these?" (dammit, I want to know. lol jk) They are part of the essential games all Steam gamers should have. $7.49 will go a LONG way on these. You could just go with L4D2, but for a few extra bucks...your head will itch and explode when you realize how crazy you were to pass up both of them for a few measly extra bucks. Must haves!

GTA IV: Complete Edition - THIS IS A 3 PACK. $10 for 3 Solid GTA games of the IV era! MUST HAVE deal here too. Less than $5 for each of these is a STEAL. If you loved any of the previous GTA games post-GTA III, you cannot pass on this unless you just have them for the consol already and already played them. Besides that though, the PC versions also have tons of mods out there if you want to go back. $10 and I'm definately calling this a solid no brainer deal. Usually $10 requires extra though compared to the $5 impulse deals, but this is a nice exception.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Day 7 and I finally bought something. DLC for KF and Batman AA. Now I am tempted by GTA4 complete for mods even though I already own it for PS3. Can someone tell me if the steam version will work with those mods?[/QUOTE]
I have it on steam and it does indeed work with most mods. I applied a massive trainer mod to it that essentially makes you god of everything able to spawn anything and it worked too. They'll work

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The End']So what exactly does it mean if a game doesn't have Steamplay. I was thinking of picking up Sims 3 as well, but your post has me wondering if I should take a pass as you're gonna do.[/QUOTE]

SteamPlay means that you get both a Windows and a Mac version with one purchase of a game.

A lot of developers use it as it was always kind of the way of things at retail where you'd buy one physical box and the disc would install on both/either operating systems.

If some developer or publisher isn't doing it then they are just being greedy dicks.

Am I nuts for wanting to purchase Batman AA yet again? I already have it on 360 and ps3, but it's just so damn fun. For < $8 it seems silly not to get it!

[quote name='Narcisstalker']SteamPlay means that you get both a Windows and a Mac version with one purchase of a game.

A lot of developers use it as it was always kind of the way of things at retail where you'd buy one physical box and the disc would install on both/either operating systems.

If some developer or publisher isn't doing it then they are just being greedy dicks.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a windows user, so I guess I'm good to go. Though I guess this sucks for Mac users.

I was just worried that I wouldn't be able to launch the game from the steam app or something like that. That perhaps I'd have to launch it from EA's website or something. Not that that would be the end of the world or anything, but I really like having everything in one place if it's at all possible.

I paid 22.50 for GTA4+episodes last steam sale, and never played it
Don't buy a game in a Steam sale unless if it's the last day or a daily deal
Don't buy a a daily deal unless if you're sure that you'll play it by the next steam sale

Probably getting Jamestown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back